Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

tarlibone posted:

Admiral Whatshisface tells Discovery, "You've done all you can! We need to call Triple A!" And Saru says "Wha?" and Tilly goes, "You mean the ancient automobile insurance company?" and admiral is all like "'da gently caress you talkin' about? How would I know about a 20th century auto insurance company?" and Michael says, "if you don't know about it, how did you know it was from the 20th century, I speak the truth!" and admiral goes "Stop it, I mean Triple A, which is what we call the ship whose name and registry have survived 704 generations, not including all the refits, because no matter what's going on, a ship with this name is in the middle of the biggest events."

Michael says, "You can't mean..."

Admiral replies, "Oh yes I do. It's time to call Cyber Will Riker, an android with Riker's consciousness, and he's in command of the USS Enterprise, NCC-1701-AAA!"

The ship shows up and it's got, like, 50 nacelles which are also quantphase cannons. He saves the day and has sex with everyone on Discovery, because Cyber Riker isn't just a lady's man anymore. They call him pan because of his evolved sexuality and because of his cybergoat legs, hindcyberquarters, and cyberhorns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWNUa4crkIo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

MichiganCubbie posted:

Maybe he always was one. Just because we're moving through time in one direction doesn't mean he is.

Riker is a prophet confirmed.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Doctor Nutt posted:

Wow what the gently caress man this made me run to imdb to check and see what's up with Michael Hogan and it appears he is appearing in things as of 2020?

He had a traumatic brain injury after a bad fall.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7350227/michael-hogan-battlestar-galactica-fall-gofundme/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Oh gently caress me that sucks

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah, that was one of those 2020 Things that hit me like a MAC truck when I heard about it. Been a fan of his for years and loved hearing his voice pop up in video games like Mass Effect and Skyrim and I'm incredibly sad that that's probably never gonna happen again even if he fully recovers from it, which seems unlikely :smith:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Finally saw all of lower decks, that final episode really is something special. I already knew the story since I read in dark mode and always see spoilers but it was still good.

I cannot believe rich fulcher was in it! Almost as weird as Hayley Joel Osmont being the ascending guy in the earlier episode.

I do hope season 2 manages to keep the energy that last episode had

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Gingerbread has the perfect colour for the (pre-refit) Disco.

I'd eat all the figures except the cat.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Taear posted:

Finally saw all of lower decks, that final episode really is something special. I already knew the story since I read in dark mode and always see spoilers but it was still good.

I cannot believe rich fulcher was in it! Almost as weird as Hayley Joel Osmont being the ascending guy in the earlier episode.

I do hope season 2 manages to keep the energy that last episode had
Yeah the show really started to find a good groove by the last couple of episodes

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Delsaber posted:

Gingerbread has the perfect colour for the (pre-refit) Disco.

I'd eat all the figures except the cat.

:hai: She is a queen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The_Doctor posted:

:hai: She is a queen.

It's amazing how they keep trying to sell Grudge as this big rear end in a top hat of a cat that hates everyone when anytime you see her she's chill as gently caress going "hi, hello, keep hugging me please" :yayclod:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

All I'm interested in is a Grudge bottle episode

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

All I'm interested in is a Grudge bottle episode

They did a "bottle" episode of Voltron on Netflix in its last season where it was all in the POV of a cambot that one of the lower decks crew was doing a documentary on the big warship they were on with, and halfway through the episode, a typical episode of Voltron breaks out and the cambot is left to wander aimlessly around the ship as everyone rushes to battle stations. Occasionally you'd get a glimpse of some really awesome poo poo happening outside the window, and it even made it up to the bridge for like five seconds, but mostly it was doing poo poo like getting bashed around the ventilation shafts or winding up in the mess hall or the hydroponics bay as explosions were going off just off camera.

Do that, but on Discovery and with the cat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

They did a "bottle" episode of Voltron on Netflix in its last season where it was all in the POV of a cambot that one of the lower decks crew was doing a documentary on the big warship they were on with, and halfway through the episode, a typical episode of Voltron breaks out and the cambot is left to wander aimlessly around the ship as everyone rushes to battle stations. Occasionally you'd get a glimpse of some really awesome poo poo happening outside the window, and it even made it up to the bridge for like five seconds, but mostly it was doing poo poo like getting bashed around the ventilation shafts or winding up in the mess hall or the hydroponics bay as explosions were going off just off camera.

Do that, but on Discovery and with the cat.

I thin the shift to a ten-episode season average instead of twenty for TV shows has sadly killed these sorts of episodes in shows like Star Trek, because you gotta keep that plot chugging along there's no time to stop and do a purely-silly/gimmick episode anymore.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I thin the shift to a ten-episode season average instead of twenty for TV shows has sadly killed these sorts of episodes in shows like Star Trek, because you gotta keep that plot chugging along there's no time to stop and do a purely-silly/gimmick episode anymore.
Yeah it sucks because you can't do some of the episodes they would do on DS9 or TNG that would focus on guest crew people like Barclay or Ro Laren. So we get so little development for all of the other Disco bridge crew. Like I can't really tell you much of anything about Rhys or the other guy. Or Nilsson. At least we have had some development on Owo and Detmer.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Shows that still do a 22 ep season feel so weirdly outdated now. Virtually every show I watch tops out at 12 a season now. I would love a 22 ep Disco season.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Shows that still do a 22 ep season feel so weirdly outdated now. Virtually every show I watch tops out at 12 a season now. I would love a 22 ep Disco season.
I think the crime shows still do it. Like Law and Order. But most shows are 12-13 eps now.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Maybe they would have time for character development if they weren't so worried about saving all life in the entire galaxy every single season. Every time they bring it up(several times an episode it feels like) its just cringe.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
In theory, scaling back the seasons from like 22-24 episodes to 12-15 instead is a good idea because there were a LOT of episodes of TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise that were just "I don't loving know, here's an episode because we've got to do like 30 of them this year or something", and even DS9 had a few "we're stretching poo poo out because we have to cover 20 episodes so this is gonna take a while" when they rolled over to serialization. So cutting down on that stuff is good.

Unfortunately, in practice led to rushed poo poo like Disco and Picard and "We spent five hours of television setting A Mystery--ooo shiny thing--aaaaand we're at the finale, gently caress what story were we trying to tell again?"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

In theory, scaling back the seasons from like 22-24 episodes to 12-15 instead is a good idea because there were a LOT of episodes of TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise that were just "I don't loving know, here's an episode because we've got to do like 30 of them this year or something", and even DS9 had a few "we're stretching poo poo out because we have to cover 20 episodes so this is gonna take a while" when they rolled over to serialization. So cutting down on that stuff is good.

Unfortunately, in practice led to rushed poo poo like Disco and Picard and "We spent five hours of television setting A Mystery--ooo shiny thing--aaaaand we're at the finale, gently caress what story were we trying to tell again?"
It's especially bad with Picard, because the first four episodes are basically the pilot. That's 1/3 of the whole season.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's especially bad with Picard, because the first four episodes are basically the pilot. That's 1/3 of the whole season.

I really hope Picard Season 2 is more episodic and just La Sirena going from place to place getting involved in poo poo for a day and moving on Mandalorian-style. Because I really liked the cast and the individual episodes of Picard, but it did not work as a complete story, so if they can get away from that then good.

They won't though :smith:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's weird to remember that shows used to be on all year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

I really hope Picard Season 2 is more episodic and just La Sirena going from place to place getting involved in poo poo for a day and moving on Mandalorian-style. Because I really liked the cast and the individual episodes of Picard, but it did not work as a complete story, so if they can get away from that then good.

The only new cast members I thought were even decent were the Daystrom Institute woman and the ship's captain.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

nine-gear crow posted:

Who knows, maybe SNW will be a trendsetter.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

Well if they DO rip off ME2 for next season you might get your monkey-paw wish as they get a team together episode-by-episode for the big Suicide Mission operation against tentacle AI hellbent on destroying organic life.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well if they DO rip off ME2 for next season you might get your monkey-paw wish as they get a team together episode-by-episode for the big Suicide Mission operation against tentacle AI hellbent on destroying organic life.

How dare you threaten me with a good time.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Cojawfee posted:

It's weird to remember that shows used to be on all year.

People would get SO MAD when a serialized show had a week or two off between episodes.

And the huge season-ending cliffhangers you'd only have to wait like 2-3 months for the resolution, instead of now where it's like a year and a half if you're lucky.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

nine-gear crow posted:

on the other hand, 'duet' and 'the wire' are some of the best episodes of ds9 and they were both low-budget stretch out the season episodes. i dont think, for the most part, that the writers or directors have any loving clue what episodes are going to be good or bad beforehand, with the extreme outliers being the exception

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The_Doctor posted:

It's a balancing act for sure. I think one thing people tend to forget is that while 26 episode seasons produces a lot of filler and lovely episodes, there were often great character touches even in the bad ones. How many quit little scenes that developed the relationship between Data and Geordie do you lose cutting TNG down to 11 eps a season?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor Nutt posted:

It's a balancing act for sure. I think one thing people tend to forget is that while 26 episode seasons produces a lot of filler and lovely episodes, there were often great character touches even in the bad ones. How many quit little scenes that developed the relationship between Data and Geordie do you lose cutting TNG down to 11 eps a season?

You'd never get something like the Moriarty episodes, or possibly even bits like their regular poker nights.

If you want an example of what DOES happen when you try to write an 11-episode show like a 22'er, watch the third season of Dark Matter and see just how many concurrent plot threads they try to develop and write like they're meant to have room to breathe across a larger season among standalone episodes. It's a total trainwreck.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 7, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You'd never get something like the Moriarty episodes, or possibly even bits like their regular poker nights.

If you want an example of what DOES happen when you try to write an 11-episode show like a 22'er, watch the third season of Dark Matter and see just how many concurrent plot threads they try to develop and write like they're meant to have room to breathe across a larger season among standalone episodes. It's a total trainwreck.

Ah man I watched Dark Matter and was enjoying it as a not-Stargate until it got cancelled. It wasn't perfect but I liked the cast and it was very Canada Sci-Fi.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor Nutt posted:

Ah man I watched Dark Matter and was enjoying it as a not-Stargate until it got cancelled. It wasn't perfect but I liked the cast and it was very Canada Sci-Fi.

I really enjoyed it too, but watching season 3 air alongside Killjoys at the time it wasn't hard to see why Killjoys got their last two seasons locked in and Dark Matter was axed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

The thing about all of those 'I don't know' episodes is that it's what let them experiment, and a lot of old Trek's best episodes were where they decided to experiment a bit.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

MikeJF posted:

The thing about all of those 'I don't know' episodes is that it's what let them experiment, and a lot of old Trek's best episodes were where they decided to experiment a bit.

Also much of character development and relations development happened during those episodes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Erulisse posted:

Also much of character development and relations development happened during those episodes.

Yeah, was it someone in this thread that said that something most new Trek doesn't have (and lower decks did) is that understanding that sometimes you just need an episode where Geordi and Data fix the breadmaker.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
saru if you cant drum up that righteous anger that all the good captains had when their fuckup crew disobeyed them youre never going to be a good captain. what is this crying bullshit. tell michael to gently caress off

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah it sucks because you can't do some of the episodes they would do on DS9 or TNG that would focus on guest crew people like Barclay or Ro Laren. So we get so little development for all of the other Disco bridge crew. Like I can't really tell you much of anything about Rhys or the other guy. Or Nilsson. At least we have had some development on Owo and Detmer.

What development has Owo had beyond 'she's Detmer's (only?) friend'.

Her job on the ship is to lean over to Detmer occasionally and say "it'll be alright, you got this".

e: I mean, I still don't mind the concept of a show that's focussed tightly on one or two characters and the rest of the crew are background, that's a fair new spin on Star Trek. But if you are going to do that don't try to tell me that your background extras are real characters.

e2: or if you are going to do that, this is how you do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HudXqJm9AX8&t=5s

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 7, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Alchenar posted:

What development has Owo had beyond 'she's Detmer's (only?) friend'.

Her job on the ship is to lean over to Detmer occasionally and say "it'll be alright, you got this".

We had a bit of background for her last season in that she’s from a Luddite community, which is why she came along on that field trip with Pike to Terralysium.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah they really screwed up from the start by making it the Michael Burham power hour when the format of Star Trek lends itself to an ensemble. This is not 24 in space, much as the show runners seem to want it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah they really screwed up from the start by making it the Michael Burham power hour when the format of Star Trek lends itself to an ensemble. This is not 24 in space, much as the show runners seem to want it to be.

B..b..but Mary Sue sells! Look at rey palpatine! Look at all the success of new star wars!