Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

galenanorth posted:

It's dumb that it's so much harder to hide and show the ribbon in Excel 2019 than it was in Excel 2010. Collapsing with an up arrow and not expanding with a similar-looking down arrow makes no sense. I know you can un-collapse it by right-clicking a tab like File and clicking Collapse, or pressing the obscure shortcut Ctrl+F1, but that's so much harder than it has to be. Is there any way to customize this part of the interface like it was in Office 2010?

Additionally, while using Virtuawin to switch window lists, Excel 2019 is doing this thing where it hides all the toolbars and Ctrl+F1 doesn't bring anything back. The only way I can see to fix it is to click out of Excel and re-open it. This problem is doubly annoying because the problem with Excel's interface I already solved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hx12_K2u-A

is drowning out search results to try to fix it.

Edit: I found the solution

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...6b-0ae5f6b9c275

Bless you, wdconnor

drat, I've been wondering about this for years. It happens in Excel 365 too. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Sorry in advance if this is a little too tech supporty for this thread, but it is quite specific to Windows, and I'm hoping it's not a complicated question.

I've got three Windows 10 PCs all connected to a simple router. Computer A and C and share with each other, and Computer B and C can share with each other, but Computer A and Computer B can't see each other in the network. I googled and something said to use 'net view' to see what's up. When I use 'net view' from either A or B, I get this error: "You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack.
Your system requires SMB2 or higher. For more info on resolving this issue, see: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747"

Why, if every computer on this network is Windows 10, is it complaining about SMBv1? I just want to copy some files from A to B. What heck.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Sorry in advance if this is a little too tech supporty for this thread, but it is quite specific to Windows, and I'm hoping it's not a complicated question.

I've got three Windows 10 PCs all connected to a simple router. Computer A and C and share with each other, and Computer B and C can share with each other, but Computer A and Computer B can't see each other in the network. I googled and something said to use 'net view' to see what's up. When I use 'net view' from either A or B, I get this error: "You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack.
Your system requires SMB2 or higher. For more info on resolving this issue, see: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747"

Why, if every computer on this network is Windows 10, is it complaining about SMBv1? I just want to copy some files from A to B. What heck.

Do any of them have SMBv1 enabled in "Turn Windows features on or off"? If so, disable SMBv1.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So I've just done a fresh install of Windows 10 on a new drive (wow NVMe is fast), and I quickly learned how much I hated the notification sounds and chimes. The thing I didn't remember running into so often was UAC, and I can only assume I must have turned it off completely after getting tired of having it pop-up every time I was installing something. Am I okay to keep it off still?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No, disabling UAC is a terrible idea and breaks quite a bit of functionality in Windows.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Fame Douglas posted:

No, disabling UAC is a terrible idea and breaks quite a bit of functionality in Windows.

Yeah don't turn it off. What are you getting notifications for? Anytime you install a program you'll get one, but you shouldn't see them constantly?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ijyt posted:

I quickly learned how much I hated the notification sounds and chimes

Disabling UAC is a bad bad idea, but removing all the bings and bongs that tell you something happened is fine. Type "system sound" into the settings search box. I agree with this & turn off most of them for myself.

If you have a program that is triggering UAC every time it runs, you may be able to solve it by installing it to a different location outside of the program files directories.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Also take a look at notifications in the control panel - it may be possible to turn a lot of it off. You can also consider turning off Focus Assist. It's supposed to silence notifications while an app is open, but it likes to make little "I'm helping!" notifications when it does this :downs:

Serious question: did UAC trigger for a lot more things in ye olden days? I seem to remember it popping up all the time, but these days its only when I install something or if I'm changing permissions on something.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Fruits of the sea posted:

Also take a look at notifications in the control panel - it may be possible to turn a lot of it off. You can also consider turning off Focus Assist. It's supposed to silence notifications while an app is open, but it likes to make little "I'm helping!" notifications when it does this :downs:

I run with focus assist on 24/7 so that notification just light up the icon rather than pop out, and I've never seen this

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Serious question: did UAC trigger for a lot more things in ye olden days? I seem to remember it popping up all the time, but these days its only when I install something or if I'm changing permissions on something.

In Vista, yeah. You can get Vista's default behaviour back in newer versions

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm a weirdo who replaced all of Windows 10's sounds with my own, and I noticed that they're all low quality mono 22000mhz wavs that play as loud as possible so that they sound like boiled poo poo on any speakers. Even replacing them was a pain, at least one of them won't play at all unless the sound file is located somewhere in the same directory hierarchy as the default sound set, and the system notification would only play properly if the first second of the sound file was silence.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

I'm a weirdo who replaced all of Windows 10's sounds with my own, and I noticed that they're all low quality mono 22000mhz wavs that play as loud as possible so that they sound like boiled poo poo on any speakers. Even replacing them was a pain, at least one of them won't play at all unless the sound file is located somewhere in the same directory hierarchy as the default sound set, and the system notification would only play properly if the first second of the sound file was silence.

Did you make your own sounds? You gotta give us the pack.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Does anyone know of a tool to diagnose TB3 link speeds?
The only way I can find it to run a memory benchmark on a eGPU, which I don't have.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I still have some programs kicking around that need UAC permission every time they run. Most of which are apps that muck around with system stuff so it makes sense, though a few are just stupid about demanding max access all the time.

MS has refined UAC over the years to be smarter about how often it triggers, and programmers have made apps that aren't stupid. If you had one of the stupid programs and used it at all frequently, you probably replaced it with something newer sometime in the last decade.

doctorfrog posted:

There's a separate slider for System Sounds in the volume mixer.

As for the rest of the problems, I've never had windows refuse to play sounds in other folders. My guess would be that there's something messed up about the wavs themselves -- if they came from the internet you may need to unblock the "this file came from a different computer" flag before windows will use them. You can check out audacity for a free sound editing program that can normalize the audio to a different volume level or make better quality recordings if you've got original source material.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
How concerned should I be if my boss purchased about a dozen copies of Office 2019 from eBay? The boxes are shrink wrapped but anyone can do that. What are the odds these keys are legal, or more legal than $5 Windows product keys? I'm totally fine with running a $5 eBay Windows key at home even though I know it's a gray area of the TOS, that is my home system and I don't think Microsoft would even care, but that's Windows not Office.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Not Wolverine posted:

How concerned should I be if my boss purchased about a dozen copies of Office 2019 from eBay? The boxes are shrink wrapped but anyone can do that. What are the odds these keys are legal, or more legal than $5 Windows product keys? I'm totally fine with running a $5 eBay Windows key at home even though I know it's a gray area of the TOS, that is my home system and I don't think Microsoft would even care, but that's Windows not Office.

How much does this affect your job? Unless your career would be set back by this I don't understand why you'd be concerned at all. Unless you're expected to install weird software on your home PC or something, you're just using the keys right? How are you personally exposed to this if it ends up being a mistake?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

How much does this affect your job? Unless your career would be set back by this I don't understand why you'd be concerned at all. Unless you're expected to install weird software on your home PC or something, you're just using the keys right? How are you personally exposed to this if it ends up being a mistake?
Ethically, I honestly don't really care, but they are requesting that I install the software, and I am not asking questions about where it was obtained. I only know I was handed a box with a shipping label that said eBay. I think personally this could not come back to me, if anything whoever made the decision to buy questionable software should get in trouble. Is it possible I could be responsible for knowingly installing illegal software? If so, I'm not even sure who enforces software license laws. I am only performing the installs, my defense would be I was given shrink wrapped boxes with COAs and presumably un-used keys. Except there was a key flagged as exceeding the maximum number of installs, a phone call to MS resolved it but it still seems funny.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

VelociBacon posted:

Did you make your own sounds? You gotta give us the pack.
Sure, it's just me hitting some buttons on sfxr a couple dozen times and outputting a .WAV for ones that I like. I like my computer to make lots of happy blippy bloopy noises. I may edit them sometime in the future with Audacity to add some fake stereo effects, but :effort:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgq5bvcxew5uemg/w10%20sounds.7z?dl=0

sfxr is included so you can fiddle with it too. It was used a bunch to generate sound files for indie games and it's a fun little tool. http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Not Wolverine posted:

Ethically, I honestly don't really care, but they are requesting that I install the software, and I am not asking questions about where it was obtained. I only know I was handed a box with a shipping label that said eBay. I think personally this could not come back to me, if anything whoever made the decision to buy questionable software should get in trouble. Is it possible I could be responsible for knowingly installing illegal software? If so, I'm not even sure who enforces software license laws. I am only performing the installs, my defense would be I was given shrink wrapped boxes with COAs and presumably un-used keys. Except there was a key flagged as exceeding the maximum number of installs, a phone call to MS resolved it but it still seems funny.

I think at the end of the day you were handed some software and asked to install it. You didn't procure it, you aren't privy to any information that outright implicates you in it being against license. I'd say you're good!

doctorfrog posted:

Sure, it's just me hitting some buttons on sfxr a couple dozen times and outputting a .WAV for ones that I like. I like my computer to make lots of happy blippy bloopy noises. I may edit them sometime in the future with Audacity to add some fake stereo effects, but :effort:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgq5bvcxew5uemg/w10%20sounds.7z?dl=0

sfxr is included so you can fiddle with it too. It was used a bunch to generate sound files for indie games and it's a fun little tool. http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html

Awesome, will take a look when I get home but I was secretly hoping the sounds were derived from your own body and not sfxr.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What's a good easy-to-use free video editing tool for minor things like cutting out dead air at the beginning and end of a video? I've been making a lot of recordings in OBS over the last few weeks (thanks again for that by the way, you guys, it mostly works like a charm) and I want to clean them up a little when I have the time for it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

What's a good easy-to-use free video editing tool for minor things like cutting out dead air at the beginning and end of a video? I've been making a lot of recordings in OBS over the last few weeks (thanks again for that by the way, you guys, it mostly works like a charm) and I want to clean them up a little when I have the time for it.

If you're just looking to cut time, I use VLC for that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you just need to cut on keyframes and don't want to reencode, try Avidemux.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Huh, I didn't realize VLC could do things like that, that's neat. Thanks, I'll give both of these a shot. Yeah, it's just really little stuff. I often have a bit of dead air at the start of videos because I'm recording lectures and seminaries and such and I just want to make it look a bit nicer for when I'm sharing those with my co-students.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

In Vista, yeah. You can get Vista's default behaviour back in newer versions

Ahh thanks, yeah that fits with the Vista pc I was using years ago. Don't recall seeing UAC pop up for much after Win7 (and I got an income and stopped pirating shady apps).

Factor Mystic posted:

I run with focus assist on 24/7 so that notification just light up the icon rather than pop out, and I've never seen this

I got Focus Assist pop-ups on my new laptop when I first got it. If I had to guess, it's probably a default setting when Windows first initializes. Maybe it was added in a feature update or something.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

The Photo app in WIndows 10 lets you open and edit video. It's really simple and basic and only does trimming. If you right click on a video it should be in the 'open with' context menu already.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Capt. Morgan posted:

The Photo app in WIndows 10 lets you open and edit video. It's really simple and basic and only does trimming. If you right click on a video it should be in the 'open with' context menu already.

I've tried using this before, and it would be perfect if not for the fact that it takes my 60 fames/second videos and reduces them to 30.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

astral posted:

Do any of them have SMBv1 enabled in "Turn Windows features on or off"? If so, disable SMBv1.

I wanted to chime in to say this seems to have half worked. Computers A and B still can't see each other in the Network location. However, they can be directly accessed by just opening \\COMPUTERNAME. What the heck would be the cause of that

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GreenNight posted:

drat, I've been wondering about this for years. It happens in Excel 365 too. Thank you.

Does double clicking the tabs not work anymore? Why on earth would they make that work differently than the other office apps?

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 8, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Does double clicking the tabs not work anymore? Why on earth would that make that work differently than the other office apps?

Thank you, I didn't see that way of doing it. For the VirtuaWin bug, the tabs disappear, though

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's the VirtualWin bug I was referring to.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

galenanorth posted:

Thank you, I didn't see that way of doing it. For the VirtuaWin bug, the tabs disappear, though

That's just a prompt for the user to learn keyboard shortcuts.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I had an old version of Creative Suite (CS4, legal copy) on my hard drive before doing a fresh Windows install on an SSD (HDD's still connected). It won't let me run CS4 when I boot off the SSD; tells me I don't have a license. Is there a way to get it working without reinstalling? Would rather avoid doing that because it takes hours, multiple DVDs.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 8, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

GreenNight posted:

It's the VirtualWin bug I was referring to.

I deleted the rule so I could test this. I'm double-clicking on the tabs for the sheets, but it's not doing anything

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Is there a windows 10 version or similar program of cc cleaner?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

poe meater posted:

You do not need CCleaner with the occasional exception of a program that won't uninstall without leaving a ghost trace.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

poe meater posted:

CC cleaner is snake oil at best and actively harmful at worst.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

CCleaner is an artifact of Windows history going back to at least Win95 and it's terrible track record of keeping the registry clean.

After XP, though, it's a different landscape, and Win10 has really made most software like that obsolete.

The built-in tools in Win10 do 99.9% of the work, and do it pretty well.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I mean, there's an argument to be made for the convenience of managing what apps run on start-up, uninstalling apps, clearing the browser cache and emptying the recycle bin, all in one UI.

In windows 10 the alternative is searching for each separate panel with keywords in the start menu or navigating around the control panel which is kind of a mess.

The registry cleaner is an archaic holdover though.

E: I wouldn't have any complaints if the control panel was easier to navigate actually. Does something like Classic Shell but for the control panel exist?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 9, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The registry doesn't require cleaning. It isn't a kitchen or a pair of manky gym socks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The Lord Bude posted:

The registry doesn't require cleaning. It isn't a kitchen or a pair of manky gym socks.

Anymore...