Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

prometheusbound2 posted:

Has a series ever gone into a long hiatus and then emerged years later with a successful entry? Maybe Wasteland? I thought Wasteland 2 was rough and wouldn't necessarily call it a good game, but I had fun with it and thought Wasteland 3 was great.

Battletech -- I think the last one in the mechwarrior tactical combat series was MechCommander 2?

Anyway I don't think ME is dead because people still do very much like Mass Effect and when you have a recognizable franchise that people like then it never really dies, just shuffles on zombie-like for decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

prometheusbound2 posted:

Has a series ever gone into a long hiatus and then emerged years later with a successful entry? Maybe Wasteland? I thought Wasteland 2 was rough and wouldn't necessarily call it a good game, but I had fun with it and thought Wasteland 3 was great.

God of War maybe? I forget how long the gap between 3 and the new one was

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A little over 8 years between 3 and 4 but there were all those prequel games in between so the franchise never really went away.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

fallout 2 & 3 had like ten years right?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

A little over 8 years between 3 and 4 but there were all those prequel games in between so the franchise never really went away.

Oh I forgot about those. I never had a PlayStation anything between ps2 and 4 so I missed anything that was an exclusive

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

hard counter posted:

fallout 2 & 3 had like ten years right?

Yeah but the later game has to be better than the earlier one. :colbert:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Everyone clamoring to move to *checks notes* EDMONTON ALBERTA after Bioware fires all the chaff

Which I guess maybe if the United States gets rona'd hard enough that socal techbros decide middle of Texas, Canada is the new place to Get Stuff Done

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

prometheusbound2 posted:

DOOM 3 was 2003 with an expansion pack in 2005. DOOM 2016 was released 11/13 years later(depending on if you count the expansion).

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

kilus aof posted:

DOOM 3 was 2003 with an expansion pack in 2005. DOOM 2016 was released 11/13 years later(depending on if you count the expansion).

I would honestly rather have the Doom 2016 team try their hand at the ME series then any one left at Bioware. That team was able to get more characterization about of a silent first person protagonist then anything in ME:A.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'd rather the Russian developers who made Everreach: Project Eden try their hand at the ME series than anyone still at Bioware.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DancingShade posted:

I'd rather the Russian developers who made Everreach: Project Eden try their hand at the ME series than anyone still at Bioware.

What’s this game? I’ve never heard of if.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

chaosapiant posted:

What’s this game? I’ve never heard of if.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/915670/Everreach_Project_Eden/

BTW I'm not endorsing it or anything. Nor have I played it. I was trying to make a comment to the effect of "I would rather trust a hundred different unknown indie dev teams to deliver if given the chance than I would trust Bioware".

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BexGu posted:

I would honestly rather have the Doom 2016 team try their hand at the ME series then any one left at Bioware. That team was able to get more characterization about of a silent first person protagonist then anything in ME:A.

have them remake ME1 starring the doom marine and replace all dialogue options with [Stare silently with quiet rage] or [Rip off body part]

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Moola posted:

have them remake ME1 starring the doom marine and replace all dialogue options with [Stare silently with quiet rage] or [Rip off body part]

New paragon/renegade system looking good

Hoppin Tin
Mar 5, 2004

SURFS UP BRO!
Fun Shoe
All speech options are "..."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

[Rip]
[Tear]

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

exquisite tea posted:

[Rip]
[Tear]
[STICK IT IN]

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

exquisite tea posted:

[Rip]
[Tear]

[Cock shotgun]

That would be the neutral option.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

[Rip]
[Tear]

Rip (paragon)
Tear (neutral)
Rip and tear (renegade)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

whenever you try to pick a neutral or paragon option the game ignores you and just does the renegade thing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You click the renegade interrupt and you just shoot the guy, end the cutscene and rip and tear.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Who is Will Continue?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
lol gently caress Andromeda, Liara is back and we're bringing back Shep

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Damnmit

After the lackluster Dragon Age teaser, I got excited at this ME teaser

And for a second I thought that was a unmasked Quarian under the hood, but it was Liara, lol

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 11, 2020

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/masseffect/status/1337227176131760128?s=20

Gotta admit I got a little excited, I am such a mark for this series

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'm guessing we're a few hundred years post-ME3 given the age lines on Liara there

At the very least, it's got me curious

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wah

I wanna be excited too except this is modern BioWare, and they couldn’t even commit to a title. This could be yet another teaser that leads to very little or disappointment. They don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore, IMO. Still, it’s something (hopefully).

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Definitely a Krogan in the background there

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cross-Section posted:

I'm guessing we're a few hundred years post-ME3 given the age lines on Liara there

At the very least, it's got me curious

That is a clever way of bridging the gap I hadn’t considered.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I do like the start of it, with a pan from Andromeda back to the Milky Way galaxy

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Not really sure how this is even happening since I’m pretty sure Shep told that lil space ghost and his endings to eat poo poo and everyone died.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh gently caress clowns here we go again

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Oh gently caress clowns here we go again

https://twitter.com/allreactionvidz/status/1153450219981463552?s=20

Me right now

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m super excited aaaaa

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Pops Mgee posted:

Not really sure how this is even happening since I’m pretty sure Shep told that lil space ghost and his endings to eat poo poo and everyone died.

People are seeing destroyed relays and blown up reapers in the trailer

... did they just make the red ending canon?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

People are seeing destroyed relays and blown up reapers in the trailer

... did they just make the red ending canon?

That definitely looks like a dead Reaper in the background and what Liara is standing on

I'd lose it if they made Destroy+ the canon ending and brought Shepard back

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
They could just say “this game takes place in one of the possible timelines after mass effect 3” and leave it at that

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Shepards gonna get resurrect for a second time while completely ignoring the ending of the ME3.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fuckin' Destroy? That is the Legion/geth dies ending and therefore is the absolute worst.

Also for gently caress's sake. where is my Jade Empire 2? That universe had way more potential than ME1 did and we're now on ME5. Let it die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Fuckin' Destroy? That is the Legion/geth dies ending and therefore is the absolute worst.

Quarians rebuild them, bing bong done moving on