Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This traffic chat reminds me of one time I was driving from Texas to Ontario and got pulled over and a hundredish dollar ticket for making a wide right turn from my mom’s residential street onto a main street like a minute into the trip. PH(P?)O: it was total bullshit and I’m still mad about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

wow I thought you would love dick

oh my god

serious answer: i like him, i guess, sorta, but i think sci fi needs either drunk slavs or a theme of despair at the incomprehensible void, or both, to really work

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Overall, yiddish is the best langage to ever grace this earth

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If trains had been invented a century later, America would be like a dozen countries right now. More people need to be talking about this.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Overall, yiddish is the best langage to ever grace this earth

En usko, tai en ainakaan myönnä uskovani, että mikään kieli olisi, tai voisi olla, Isänmaamme kaunista kieltä kaunihimpi. :finland:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

If trains had been invented a century later, America would be like a dozen countries right now. More people need to be talking about this.

Give it a few years.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I actually agree that Lem and the Stugatskys are the best sci fi writers. I'll add to that: the mid 20th century American 'great' sci fi writers like Asimov, Heinlein, and Ellison all sucked poo poo. Ray Bradbury is ok

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Do you have an opinion on Niven?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Badactura posted:

the mid 20th century American 'great' sci fi writers like Asimov, Heinlein, and Ellison all sucked poo poo

yeah. i think all of that stuff is really boring and reeks of musk and annoying optimism of the carl sagan variety

i think the closest american author to lem is actually thomas pynchon

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

yeah. i think all of that stuff is really boring and reeks of musk and annoying optimism of the carl sagan variety

i think the closest american author to lem is actually thomas pynchon

Ellison really does not have any annoying optimism.

His short stories are fantastic and well worth reading, Deathbird Stories is one of my favorite books and The Deathbird is a really, really great story.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Ellison really does not have any annoying optimism.

His short stories are fantastic and well worth reading, Deathbird Stories is one of my favorite books and The Deathbird is a really, really great story.

ive only read i have no mouth but i must scream, i dont outright hate it but it still reads like a fantasy story, the computer is anthropomorphized as some sort of evil spirit in a way that i dont think is believable

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

ive only read i have no mouth but i must scream, i dont outright hate it but it still reads like a fantasy story, the computer is anthropomorphized as some sort of evil spirit in a way that i dont think is believable

Because it wasn’t supposed to be believable? :confused:

Ellison is not hard sci fi at all.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Because it wasn’t supposed to be believable? :confused:

Ellison is not hard sci fi at all.

i dont care about "hard" vs "soft". thats for nerds, and lem's stories can go either way. i only care if it's a believable story, i.e. free of cliches. if your motivation for any of your characters is something like "because the character is evil" you're already in cartoon fantasyland, the computer in i have no mouth is simply evil for no real reason, except it feels lovely because it exists and cant move so it wants revenge? like i said it could be worse but i dont think its thats good either

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

most sci fi is like, either it's focused on some kind of "accelerationist" deliverance at the end either through technology or aliens (2001 a space odyssey is a classic example, again with an inexplicably "evil" computer, or interstellar which is just straight up a superstitious movie about a divine father figure), or it's about people fighting evil aliens or computers or meeting them and communicating with them or something, like "arrival", or it's just a more limited story where the aliens are supposed to tell us something about ourselves (like starship troopers), i think all of this stuff basically sucks or at least i'm not very interested in it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

i dont care about "hard" vs "soft". thats for nerds, and lem's stories can go either way. i only care if it's a believable story, i.e. free of cliches. if your motivation for any of your characters is something like "because the character is evil" you're already in cartoon fantasyland, the computer in i have no mouth is simply evil for no real reason, except it feels lovely because it exists and cant move so it wants revenge? like i said it could be worse but i dont think its thats good either

AM is basically a child pulling the wings off a fly, it’s so advanced it basically doesn’t see anything else as anything more than a plaything at best. Because it’s locked in itself, it takes out its pain and rage on anything it can. It’s not really a difficult concept.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

AM is basically a child pulling the wings off a fly, it’s so advanced it basically doesn’t see anything else as anything more than a plaything at best. Because it’s locked in itself, it takes out its pain and rage on anything it can. It’s not really a difficult concept.

why would it though? what does it mean that it's "advanced"? the whole notion that something can be "advanced", implying that there can be progress, is the problem with science fiction

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Yeah a lot of sci fi, especially american sci fi, is basically recasting historical events or religious stories with spaceships and lasers. The Soviet stuff is often really weird and contains an element of having an encounter with something so inexplicably different that it can never be made sense of no matter how hard you try. They're also all about how you can't even know yourself much less the universe. It just is more interesting then 'hey the collapse of the Roman Empire in space'

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Badactura posted:

Yeah a lot of sci fi, especially american sci fi, is basically recasting historical events or religious stories with spaceships and lasers. The Soviet stuff is often really weird and contains an element of having an encounter with something so inexplicably different that it can never be made sense of no matter how hard you try. They're also all about how you can't even know yourself much less the universe. It just is more interesting then 'hey the collapse of the Roman Empire in space'

yeah lem has this basic technique which he also uses for his fictional book reviews (like in "a perfect vacuum" or "one human minute"), which is similar to borges in that he can describe something impossible indirectly, through human perception, and make it believable while at the same time demonstrating the limitations of his characters

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

oldpainless posted:

I would say that old science fiction author is suspiciously horny.

I wonder if there is some kind of trend there.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

oldpainless posted:

I never read any Niven so no

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Badactura posted:

I actually agree that Lem and the Stugatskys are the best sci fi writers. I'll add to that: the mid 20th century American 'great' sci fi writers like Asimov, Heinlein, and Ellison all sucked poo poo. Ray Bradbury is ok

Capek tho.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

doverhog posted:

En usko, tai en ainakaan myönnä uskovani, että mikään kieli olisi, tai voisi olla, Isänmaamme kaunista kieltä kaunihimpi. :finland:

Finnish is completely insane but I do like the way it sounds. Kippis!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

German is the language of love.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Who?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Capek!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karel_%C4%8Capek

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

a believable story, i.e. free of cliches
What do cliches even have to do with believability?

Shibawanko posted:

2001 a space odyssey is a classic example, again with an inexplicably "evil" computer
It's not inexplicable at all. It was programmed to prioritise the mission over the crew so when the crew seemed to threaten the mission it tried to stop them by any means necessary. It's extremely clear.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

I'm sorry, I know who he is, but I just bought a new avatar (guess who!) and was trying to be a Big Man in front of Jerry Cotton.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tiggum posted:

What do cliches even have to do with believability?
if you have a cliched story you cant suspend disbelief, if something reads like a typical hack writer would write, you picture the hack writer, instead of whatever the book is about

quote:

It's not inexplicable at all. It was programmed to prioritise the mission over the crew so when the crew seemed to threaten the mission it tried to stop them by any means necessary. It's extremely clear.

the reason in the book is that he feels "guilty" for lying to the astronauts and then fears for his life when they threaten to disconnect him. how is that not just anthropomorphization? why would a computer feel guilty?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Because they programmed it with a sense of integrity, obviously

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Dune, Warhammer, LotR and Star Wars and probably Starcraft (I havent played it) are all along the same gross boring nerd axis, and it's not quite as off-putting as the Buffy, MCU, Harry Potter, Dr Who axis but at least Buffy was quite frequently very decent despite doughy people with wire frame glasses and bad dye jobs enjoying it. The smug "guyness" of the first axis makes it harder to handle, at least the others embrace being cringey mainstream poo poo.

World building is for D&D campaigns. Media is for characters and incident. If you can't communicate what you want about your world, and more importantly, your characters, in one volume quit prose fiction and write RPG source books.

I will not be taking questions on how Warhammer is actually a tabletop game. Its bloated and gross and boring.

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 11:32 on Dec 7, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Disco Pope posted:

Dune, Warhammer, LotR and Star Wars and probably Starcraft (I havent played it)

Starcraft rules, warhammer rules, lord of the rings was 3 good movies, i didn't like the books, star wars is good, at least the original 3 movies are i can't comment on the rest, i dont know why the Christ you are chucking Dune in there - its an order of magnitude lesser than the other franchises you named

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Starcraft is definitely the same as Lord of the rings

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Collapsing Farts posted:

Oh for sure.

I mean, kind of.

That was a weird post, Disco Pope.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Collapsing Farts posted:

It also came in 3 parts

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Disco Pope posted:

Dune, Warhammer, LotR and Star Wars and probably Starcraft (I havent played it) are all along the same gross boring nerd axis, and it's not quite as off-putting as the Buffy, MCU, Harry Potter, Dr Who axis but at least Buffy was quite frequently very decent despite doughy people with wire frame glasses and bad dye jobs enjoying it. The smug "guyness" of the first axis makes it harder to handle, at least the others embrace being cringey mainstream poo poo.

World building is for D&D campaigns. Media is for characters and incident. If you can't communicate what you want about your world, and more importantly, your characters, in one volume quit prose fiction and write RPG source books.

I will not be taking questions on how Warhammer is actually a tabletop game. Its bloated and gross and boring.

tolkien is fine. liking "buffy the vampire slayer" is about the lowest a person can go before becoming a tvtropes contributor

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Oh for sure.

I mean, kind of.

That was a weird post, Disco Pope.

I'm mad about nerds.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

no amount of words typed can erase the stink of liking comic books

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

Superheroes are indeed extremely bad, with no exceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

Agreed.