Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Zamujasa posted:

You and two other people make a thing and sell it for $5. It cost $1 in materials to make and pays $1 in labor each of you.

The $1 you have left over is profit. You can either reinvest it on making more things to sell, sit on it like a rainy day fund, or split it up and pay it to everyone, either as more wages or as a dividend to the people who "own" the group (in this case, yourselves).

That's the five year old version of it, more or less. But yes, profit is money not being paid to the people who actually do things, and you can make more profit by paying people less.

where’d the other dollar go?? :thunk:

e: oh TWO other people. I’m leaving this as a testament to my shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

and luckily the amount of profit you tend to make stays the same forever. so capitalism will always be fine! hooray!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

indigi posted:

e: oh TWO other people. I’m leaving this as a testament to my shame

You have perfect small business owner logic. The other dollar must have been stolen by your employees.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Peanut President posted:

thats one hell of a graph

Ooof, found this article that puts it into even better perspective:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/04/november-jobs-report-shows-4-concerning-trends.html

The jobs that have come back are mainly for those that were temporarily laid off and still had a job to eventually come back to. The number of jobs that have been completely eliminated continues to rise.

https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1334879670093967361

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fun fact: children who got allowance for taking out the trash count as employed for a full decade after their 18th birthday

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

indigi posted:

Tax dodges

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Jesus Christ y’all need to learn to read financial statements.

revenue less operating costs equals operating profit. operating costs include labor costs.

in the context of a company that sells products, we can back up a bit, and look at gross margin. revenue less cost of good sold equals gross margin. cost of goods sold includes all direct costs in making the product, including labor. gross margin less indirect operating costs (once again including labor, such as back office staff) equals operating profit. operating profit less non operating costs (such as interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) equals net income. net income goes to retained earnings, which can then be paid out as dividends to shareholders.

long story short, labor gets paid before we get to net income (profit). profit is exclusively for the benefit of the shareholders, and is generally not paid to the employees (outside of employee stock ownership). so when Apple reports $60 billion in net income, that’s all gonna end up with the shareholders one way or the other, though Apple historically kept its earnings offshore to avoid paying taxes (it would instead take out loans based on their offshore cash and use that to pay shareholders).

if you think it’s hosed up that the employees don’t get some of the profit, well That’s Capitalism!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just ran into this in the wild

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I once heard two drunk higher-ups arguing whether margin percentage or margin euros was more important. (Obviously euros. You can't buy coke with percents.)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

T-man posted:

i live in a tightly bound pocket dimension predicted by string theory, saves almost $50 off the rent

SCP-106 HAS BREACHED CONTAINMENT

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
agreed capitalism is gross

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

CharlestheHammer posted:

that’s all corporations.

Weirdly enough Nintendo has a lot of on hand money for some reason

Nintendo also cut executive pay rather than do layoffs during times of low profit.

They're one of the few corporations I know of that bother to think beyond the next financial quarter. Doesn't make them "better", but makes them less stupid.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Doggles posted:

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1334856520245407747

At least stocks are breaking all-time records! :thumbsup:

where was this originally posted?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

So clearly what this graph is saying is that during the last year of Trump's presidency he created more jobs than Obama did in his whole 8 years

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Doggles posted:

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1334856520245407747

At least stocks are breaking all-time records! :thumbsup:

love how they use terms like 'added' and 'created' when most of those jobs over the last several months were furloughed employees returning to work, often at reduced hours

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/miiriya_miiriya/status/1335354824276254721

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'll believe anything presented in Twin Peaks font

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

The_Franz posted:

love how they use terms like 'added' and 'created' when most of those jobs over the last several months were furloughed employees returning to work, often at reduced hours

I feel like that's been the case for awhile now, that the focus should've been on types of jobs as opposed to just the number.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Heard about these on Trash Future:

https://twitter.com/PeterHeadCBE/status/1326441478697193472

They are:

- A shoe subscription
- Made of beans
- You send them back after a month and they press them down into beans again and then make new shoes out of the beans to send to other people
- $30 a month

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

PostNouveau posted:

They are:

- A shoe subscription
- Made of beans
- You send them back after a month and they press them down into beans again and then make new shoes out of the beans to send to other people
- $30 a month

What happens after a month? Do they fall apart? Can I wear for them 3 or 4 months if you they don’t get a lot of wear and tear?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PostNouveau posted:

They are:

- A shoe subscription
- Made of beans
- $30 a month

You'll own nothing, and you'll be happy.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Just ran into this in the wild

Gross Dick
Actually German for “good day”

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can you eat the shoes?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

- A shoe subscription
- Made of beans
- $30 a month

This would actually be a good idea if they made them in kid sizes and the term was a year. Kids outgrow shoes. hipster adults not so much.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Mameluke posted:

Can you eat the shoes?

you can eat any shoe if you put your mind to it

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

What happens after a month? Do they fall apart? Can I wear for them 3 or 4 months if you they don’t get a lot of wear and tear?

it says the term is mileage-based, not time-based. so you don't send them back until they start to fall apart, which they say will usually happen after 6 to 9 months

you still pay monthly, tho. so you're paying $30 a month for the privilege of getting a "free" replacement when your shoes wear out once or twice a year

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Footwear as a Service

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Main Paineframe posted:

it says the term is mileage-based, not time-based. so you don't send them back until they start to fall apart, which they say will usually happen after 6 to 9 months

you still pay monthly, tho. so you're paying $30 a month for the privilege of getting a "free" replacement when your shoes wear out once or twice a year

OK, it says 600km. Which for me is about a month.

Seems like sticking with my xeros and their 8000km warranty is still cheaper.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Inceltown posted:

OK, it says 600km. Which for me is about a month.

Seems like sticking with my xeros and their 8000km warranty is still cheaper.

Yes but then you don't get to tell everyone your sneakers are made of beans.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yes but then you don't get to tell everyone your sneakers are made of beans.

I've been saying that for years anyway. It's not true but I still say it.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

How are they gonna call the second iteration of the recyclable subscription shoe

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Beans.

It always comes back to beans.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Thinkin about thos shoes

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

beans

Only registered members can see post attachments!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
thanks! it is made of beans!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Do the bean shoes come with a compartment where I can store my small pieces of Impossible meat?