Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
Have you considered the PHS Commissioned Officer Corps? Not sure how their recruiting works but I know they take PA’s.

https://www.usphs.gov/apply-now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1333963729185222657?s=20

Chief Sharkey riding his bike to the BEQ due to losing his license after 5 DUIs

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1333963729185222657?s=20

Chief Sharkey riding his bike to the BEQ due to losing his license after 5 DUIs

Chiefs on my boat were way into expensive as hell mountain bikes. They never mountain biked with them, just rode them around base.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

ded posted:

Chiefs on my boat were way into expensive as hell mountain bikes. They never mountain biked with them, just rode them around base.

Oh my god I saw the same thing in Mayport.

It’s florida there’s not even hills anywhere.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

The mess on my ship had a cycle for the three years I was there. Everyone would eat like poo poo and get super fat and happy underway. Then we’d wait until we’d been underway for 3 weeks or so and sell a ton of cheap frozen pizzas at ridiculously inflated prices to the crew and landing force. Afterwards we’d use the several thousands of dollars raised to fund ridiculous prizes like MacBooks and ipad pros for the winners of various categories of the Goat Locker Biggest Loser competition.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Next hull in the Constellation-class will be USS Congress. I guess they're leaning into the age-of-sail frigates naming convention, which is fine--but I don't see how they're going to make that last, even if they resist the temptation to throw in any old goddamn thing on a whim.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
USS Gabrielle Giffords

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

What sort of ship will the USS Donald J Trump be?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Burt posted:

What sort of ship will the USS Donald J Trump be?

Russia already built it.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Just wait until the Iranians get to stare down the USS Kushner.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/BlondsOvrBaghd/status/1334852256928325632?s=20

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Is there a remotely close place to hunt deer to Norfolk without a shitload of wacky restrictions like a complicated quota system I had to apply for last year on a full moon or weird local laws like .22lr or shotgun only?

I have a .308 I just dialed in and am aiming (:dadjoke:)to go on my first dear hunt but anything that I can hunt with .308 less than 4 hours away is cool.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Is there a remotely close place to hunt deer to Norfolk without a shitload of wacky restrictions like a complicated quota system I had to apply for last year on a full moon or weird local laws like .22lr or shotgun only?

I have a .308 I just dialed in and am aiming (:dadjoke:)to go on my first dear hunt but anything that I can hunt with .308 less than 4 hours away is cool.

Apologies if you've already looked into this, but: https://nwa.recaccess.com/

https://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnrma/installations/nsa_hampton_roads/nsa_northwest_annex/about/HuntingSeason0.html

Also, it's currently Black Bear season in the parts of NC semi-near to Hampton Roads: http://www.eregulations.com/northcarolina/hunting-fishing/bear-seasons-map/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 6, 2020

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Please don’t hunt bears.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

If you can shoot a bow it is usually easier and a longer season to hunt

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Goodpancakes posted:

If you can shoot a bow it is usually easier and a longer season to hunt

On one hand, bows are a smaller target than a deer, but on the other hand, they don't move, so they're probably easier to shoot. :dadjoke:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Looks like I would have already had to have applied to do it this year.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

piL posted:

On one hand, bows are a smaller target than a deer, but on the other hand, they don't move, so they're probably easier to shoot. :dadjoke:

It really depends on where you're hunting them. They can get pretty massive in the shipping ports and naval ports, but shooting ones that big can be pretty dangerous. It's a lot less dangerous to hunt bows at a smaller private marina.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

MonkeyFit posted:

It really depends on where you're hunting them. They can get pretty massive in the shipping ports and naval ports, but shooting ones that big can be pretty dangerous. It's a lot less dangerous to hunt bows at a smaller private marina.

Really, if they're crossing from Starboard to Port, its almost always better to shoot the stern.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Anyone ever stationed at El Centro?

Any tips on where to live there?

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

PeterCat posted:

Anyone ever stationed at El Centro?

Any tips on where to live there?

Oh god. Yes. 2004-2008 though, so my experience there is probably irrelevant to what it's like now.

I was a single 20 something dude, so I lived in the barracks for the first year, then moved into a single bedroom apartment as close to the base as I could get. Rent was $690 per month. There's an Italian joint called Grasso's next door, it's still there. It was uhhh, 3 out of 5 stars.

Most of the people that wanted a nicer place to live gravitated toward Brawley. It's a longer commute, but it's nicer than Imperial or EC.

Looking at the map now, I am amazed that there is a Costco AND an In-N-Out in EC. Score.

The best loving breakfast burritos I've ever had were from La Pasadita in Seeley, but it looks like they're closed forever. You'll find plenty of kickass Mexican food though.

The dipshits all go to Glamis to get killed on ATVs. Maybe it's fun tho.

I enjoyed quite a few journeys in my Jeep out into BLM managed public desert in the Fall/Winter months. Camping is a good time out there. Just don't get loving stuck in the sandy washes in a normal car.

It's a weird place, but you can hit the hill and be in San Diego in 90 minutes.

Edit: Oh right, forgot to mention that it's like 108 degrees in the warmer months, with nights in the 80's-90's. The crops smell like farts, like a broccoli smell permeates the whole region. It is hell.

DustyNuts fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 8, 2020

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

There is a Navy base in El Centro?

I'm there a few times a year for geothermal wells and it's a strange place

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Yep.

https://www.cnic.navy.mil/regions/cnrsw/installations/naf_el_centro.html

Year-round flying weather and a bunch of bombing ranges. The Blue Angels train there a couple of months each year.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

I did enjoy the burgers at Burgers and Beers though. I suspect you would have tried it eventually anyway since it's a small town

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

DustyNuts posted:

Oh god. Yes. 2004-2008 though, so my experience there is probably irrelevant to what it's like now.

I was a single 20 something dude, so I lived in the barracks for the first year, then moved into a single bedroom apartment as close to the base as I could get. Rent was $690 per month. There's an Italian joint called Grasso's next door, it's still there. It was uhhh, 3 out of 5 stars.

Most of the people that wanted a nicer place to live gravitated toward Brawley. It's a longer commute, but it's nicer than Imperial or EC.

Looking at the map now, I am amazed that there is a Costco AND an In-N-Out in EC. Score.

The best loving breakfast burritos I've ever had were from La Pasadita in Seeley, but it looks like they're closed forever. You'll find plenty of kickass Mexican food though.

The dipshits all go to Glamis to get killed on ATVs. Maybe it's fun tho.

I enjoyed quite a few journeys in my Jeep out into BLM managed public desert in the Fall/Winter months. Camping is a good time out there. Just don't get loving stuck in the sandy washes in a normal car.

It's a weird place, but you can hit the hill and be in San Diego in 90 minutes.

Edit: Oh right, forgot to mention that it's like 108 degrees in the warmer months, with nights in the 80's-90's. The crops smell like farts, like a broccoli smell permeates the whole region. It is hell.

Thanks! I'll note all this down.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Goodpancakes posted:

I did enjoy the burgers at Burgers and Beers though. I suspect you would have tried it eventually anyway since it's a small town

Dude, I was there very often, normally for Monday Night Football. Or Thursday Night Football. It was the best local burger place for sure. Otherwise, I was in San Diego.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Got my SWO Jacket the other day. It's dorky, but overall it's not a terrible jacket.

However, it's pretty typical that the Navy would finally give me a piece of functional outerwear now that I'm in a location where I don't really need it.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

Got my SWO Jacket the other day. It's dorky, but overall it's not a terrible jacket.

However, it's pretty typical that the Navy would finally give me a piece of functional outerwear now that I'm in a location where I don't really need it.

Psht, you're going back to sea soon enough I'm sure.

Edit: speaking of which, my shore tour's been shortened by about 8 months. Department Head school in early 2022!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

piL posted:

Edit: speaking of which, my shore tour's been shortened by about 8 months. Department Head school in early 2022!

Condolences

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

So I see the Navy is gonna have some new WO1s with the establishment of the MQ-25 Warrant community. That seems pretty cool

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

So I see the Navy is gonna have some new WO1s with the establishment of the MQ-25 Warrant community. That seems pretty cool

That actually is really cool.

Take a page out of the army helo warrant program and attempt to head off the air force’s retention problems of wannabe fighter jockeys getting forced into unmanned.

https://seapowermagazine.org/navy-announces-aerial-vehicle-operator-warrant-officer-specialty/

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

They did this with cyber operators a few years ago as well. I think it's a really good idea as I am generally a big fan of more warrant officers.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
One of my good friends I met in grad school just got his package accepted to whatever the USN officers process is with a flight slot. He dropped the engineering masters since he's already aero and just got the MBA. I tried my best to discourage him but failed and he leaves next Sept.

Edit: Took a job at a defense contractor and walked after a month when my manager tried to micromanage me and set poor priorities as he had zero understanding of the facility and wouldn't hear me. Still not sure why they bothered as it was impossible for me to succeed but one of the items I was working to drive into their heads was that there was no substitute for experience. One of his ideas was to build process to eliminate all forms of risk and failure and didn't want to hear my ideas on that. Anything the Navy does to increase access to experience is a good thing.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 10, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ManMythLegend posted:

The Air Force gave me a gortex coat to go to Qatar 6 months before separating, so I feel you.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

piL posted:

Psht, you're going back to sea soon enough I'm sure.

You'll be going at the same time as one of my good friends then. Sorry that the detailer shortened your tour by that much though.

We'll probably just miss each other. I start next June.

Edit: And MML, what do you think of the internal pocket for the jacket? I liked it when I got to try it on for the fit test/photos.

The Valley Stared fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 10, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

The Valley Stared posted:

You'll be going at the same time as one of my good friends then. Sorry that the detailer shortened your tour by that much though.

We'll probably just miss each other. I start next June.

And Mr. Nice, what do you think of the internal pocket for the jacket? I liked it when I got to try it on for the fit test/photos.

MML, not me! I haven't seen a new military jacket in years.

I do still have my enlisted utility jacket and use it most winters. The zipper needs some TLC, though.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

MML, not me! I haven't seen a new military jacket in years.

I do still have my enlisted utility jacket and use it most winters. The zipper needs some TLC, though.

The loving Riker avatar got me. poo poo. I've even met MML in person and I messed it up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
He's a good dude. I wish I was as tall and as handsome as MML.

He's got bearded riker. When I got sent to riker's island years ago they mostly handed out beardless ones.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The loving Riker avatar got me. poo poo. I've even met MML in person and I messed it up.

Note to self: Riker avs for all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Edit: And MML, what do you think of the internal pocket for the jacket? I liked it when I got to try it on for the fit test/photos.

Haven't really worn it yet, so I don't have a good functional evaluation of the jacket at this point other than it's warm and waterproof. The barge I'm currently working out of has no heating though, so I plan on wearing it for a while around the office to break it in so I'll have better gouge next week.

However, off the top I can say that thing definitely needs hand warmer pockets. Supposedly it's a relatively common mod to the aviator version and I'm actually looking for a local leather tailor who can do it.

McNally posted:

Note to self: Riker avs for all

:mad: So help me, I'll go back to my Archer av.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 11, 2020