Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Does anyone have some good resources on technical writing? I have someone on my team who is just hopeless and today I was giving him feedback on an ADR (in fact, ADR 1, his proposal for how we should start using ADRs) and on an incident report. He's starting to get annoyed at my feedback. I used to teach scientific writing to freshman so I am used to this struggle but looking for something more targeted to developers. I'd like to give him some focused steps for how to improve in this area -- any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Not sure about anything specific to developers - I learned technical writing in the context of design (mostly product use instructions and copy for packaging and presentations), but we used the same textbook that the general technical writing course used. Maybe get a college textbook and highlight sections that are relevant? Also I think finding examples of similar documents that are well written would be helpful because you can point to something concrete and explain why it’s good.

In my experience, I’ve learned that good technical writers are worth their weight in gold and that unfortunately, many people are just not good writers and it’s very difficult to teach them to be better without dedicated tutoring/coaching (which they may not like or want). I once ran a blog for engineering and robotics and stuff and took student submissions from tie-in courses and I quickly learned that it was faster and easier for me to just wholesale rewrite their incomprehensible garbage than to keep sending it back with revision notes that they either didn’t understand or refused to implement. And that was before I got to basic grammar and poo poo. These were otherwise smart people, too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You know that old saying about never teaching a pig to sing? Trying to teach technical writing to developers who don't want to learn it is the same deal.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Well, he at least has expressed a willingness to want to improve, although from my experience teaching I also don't have a lot of confidence. Still, it would be good at least to have some context so my feedback sounds less random and arbitrary and maybe reminds him of something he read once.

edit: I am just going to rewrite the ADR though, it will be less frustrating for both of us.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
My workplace is doing "Healthy Conversation" training. One of the points when giving feedback was supposed to be "describe the situation as objectively as possible, avoid giving interpretation" but they have this rule of "use action verbs, not 'is' or 'be'" so instead it just became a language puzzle for the non-english as a first language developers on the team.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
This old Joel on Software article on functional specs might help. https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/10/03/painless-functional-specifications-part-2-whats-a-spec/

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Google has a free course on tech writing:
https://developers.google.com/tech-writing

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

today's mood: booking a daily meeting from 4-5p titled "absolutely not" to stop people from booking 4pm (when I stop working for the day) 30m attendance required meetings that turn out to run an hour :tizzy:

taking bets on how long it takes before this runs into the "lunch" meeting problem of: everybody knows I'm not actually busy and books meetings anyways

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

today's mood: booking a daily meeting from 4-5p titled "absolutely not" to stop people from booking 4pm (when I stop working for the day) 30m attendance required meetings that turn out to run an hour :tizzy:

taking bets on how long it takes before this runs into the "lunch" meeting problem of: everybody knows I'm not actually busy and books meetings anyways

Decline, edit comment, Conflict, Send.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
How do I deal with someone who makes a good and cogent point, but then routinely repeats the exact same thing in a slightly different manner several times? Everyone's on board! We don't need to spend extra time on it.

Very shortened version:
Them: We should do X to achieve Y!
Us: :yeah:
Them: Achieving Y is important, we should do X to solve it!
Us: Uh, yep. Agreed.
Them: X is what we should so. Thusly, Y shall be achieved.
Us: ...

To be fair, it's not uncommon for someone else to then pipe up just as the conversation is finally about to move forward and ask a question that demonstrates they either weren't listening at all or misunderstood at a basic level.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

How do I deal with someone who makes a good and cogent point, but then routinely repeats the exact same thing in a slightly different manner several times? Everyone's on board! We don't need to spend extra time on it.

Very shortened version:

To be fair, it's not uncommon for someone else to then pipe up just as the conversation is finally about to move forward and ask a question that demonstrates they either weren't listening at all or misunderstood at a basic level.

"Moving on"

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

Very shortened version:

Once you get to the first :yeah:, steer the discussion to the actionable next step(s). "We'll go make tickets" or "you go make tickets" or "I'll add that to the plan" or something to clearly move to confirmation and next steps.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Very shortened version:

Don't call me out in public dude.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Hughlander posted:

Decline, edit comment, Conflict, Send.

then i just miss the meeting though :(

I've noticed that the Teams meeting scheduling interface don't seem to provide any information about other peoples' working hours so that might be the issue here

regardless hopefully this will at least add the minor cognitive barrier of having my name say "busy" next to it

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

then i just miss the meeting though :(

If it’s important ask for and read the notes from it. If there’s no notes or no one makes them then it’s not important. If you actually need to be there then it will be scheduled for a time when everyone is available.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

captkirk posted:

Don't call me out in public dude.
Ah, but are you the one making the point or the one misunderstanding it? ;)

Trying to steer the discussion to next actionable steps sounds like a good idea that I should remember to try more often.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Hughlander posted:

If it’s important ask for and read the notes from it. If there’s no notes or no one makes them then it’s not important.

:allears:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I swear, our scrum master is basically the guy in Office Space:

https://youtu.be/m4OvQIGDg4I

As far as I can tell, his job is primarily to schedule meetings and he isn’t very good at it.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Dedicated scrum masters are bloat.

I’ve personally enjoyed the company and work-friendships of many of them. But it always points to a company that doesn’t get scrum.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
We had a dedicated scrum master for a while at a previous job. All the teams had to work around their schedule, even for things like the daily stand-up, so our team was having ours at something dumb like 10:30 every day. Then, because sprint planning was supposed to take a million hours or whatever, and the scrum master just had to be there for all of them, we couldn't have all the teams start their sprints on the same day or even in the same half of the same day. It was terrible.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

In games we have a producer role which where I am now uses it as a Scrum Master / Scrum of Scrums coordinator. They're responsible for Jira and running the ceremonies, but also meet 2x/day for inter team dependencies and resource constraints.

Other places I've been Scrum Master was just a hat that you had in addition to developer and would rotate from those interested in it. (One of those places, also had the same as Development Manager, you could sign up to Manager 1-2 Associates in a different team as a pre-path for full time management.)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

ChickenWing posted:

working hours

Microsoft cares not for your "working hours"

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

remember back when microsoft made a commitment to OSS and we collectively had a shared moment of hope that they might stop being a trash fire?

https://twitter.com/WolfieChristl/status/1331221942850949121

don't have so much of that anymore

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

remember back when microsoft made a commitment to OSS and we collectively had a shared moment of hope that they might stop being a trash fire?

https://twitter.com/WolfieChristl/status/1331221942850949121

don't have so much of that anymore

Didn't they already remove all user identifying features from it?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I'm annoyed because it's going to perpetuate the gathering of useless metrics as a substitute for actual management. None of those items in the screenshot remotely correlate with "Productivity" in any way, especially "Meetings", christ.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hughlander posted:

Didn't they already remove all user identifying features from it?

That's not enough to guarantee that no one can be identified from the full data set.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A couple months ago, I asked the VP of another department if they had a role I could change into and they got me one, effective January 1st. Until yesterday, I had been waiting on a contract addendum from HR to make my new role official. They sent a contract addendum that described the new role with no mention of compensation. According to Glassdoor, my employer's two most relevant rivals pay at least $30k more than my current salary for the same title.

I mentioned the salary discrepancy to HR and asked if that's the sort of offer they'd make to someone with my experience for that role yesterday. They haven't responded yet.
That's a completely reasonable thing to do, right? They'd be setting me up to quit by giving me a more expensive role without at least some extra money to go with it.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

rt4 posted:

A couple months ago, I asked the VP of another department if they had a role I could change into and they got me one, effective January 1st. Until yesterday, I had been waiting on a contract addendum from HR to make my new role official. They sent a contract addendum that described the new role with no mention of compensation. According to Glassdoor, my employer's two most relevant rivals pay at least $30k more than my current salary for the same title.

I mentioned the salary discrepancy to HR and asked if that's the sort of offer they'd make to someone with my experience for that role yesterday. They haven't responded yet.
That's a completely reasonable thing to do, right? They'd be setting me up to quit by giving me a more expensive role without at least some extra money to go with it.

If you didn't agree to a change in pay with the VP or as part of the discussion prior to accepting then you aren't going to get anything. I would probably try talking to the VP and not HR if you haven't officially accepted yet.

It's completely fair to ask regardless.

asur fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 4, 2020

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yeah it's totally fair.

Maybe they don't give the $ or not enough but then you do the job long enough to quit for the proper amount somewhere else.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I'll edit that poo poo during happy hour and charge a pile for it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Very shortened version:

I've had a few direct reports who would do this a lot in 1:1 conversations. Frame it like the trope of the awkward nerdy guy who's afraid to ask the girl out, and thinks he's finally gotten up the nerve, so he goes up to do the thing, and some completely unrelated piece of nonsense comes out. It's very likely that there's something they aren't telling you, so they're repeating their most recent coherent thought rather than sitting in silence. And very often, they want something and can't seem to manage asking for it.

Figure it out. Ask them if they want to take the lead on the idea. Try to delegate them some kind of ownership or responsibility. Eventually, when they feel like they have support, like their ideas are good enough to get everybody else on board, actually invested in the idea and working toward it, you can start to push them more towards advocating.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
anybody else's coworkers getting extremely loving lazy with WFH during covid? I have one dude on my team who hasn't submitted a PR in 30 days and hasn't done a PR review in 32 days. miraculously, he hasn't been fired yet :confused:

outside of that, we have like 3 other dudes who do PR review like twice a week now. it's getting on my loving nerves.

e: don't get me wrong, I slack off too, but holy gently caress it's getting bad on my team

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My ability to focus has been shot since March, might be the same with your teammates. I feel lazy but like, sometimes I close the forums and say "ok I'm gonna get to work now" and then open the forums again. All I have to do is press the little button to block time waste websites and sometimes it's like I can't do it.

I'm still getting poo poo done but yeah, people are struggling.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Supposedly productivity across engineering at my company has actually gone up and management appears to be extremely concerned about burnout.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

prom candy posted:

My ability to focus has been shot since March, might be the same with your teammates. I feel lazy but like, sometimes I close the forums and say "ok I'm gonna get to work now" and then open the forums again. All I have to do is press the little button to block time waste websites and sometimes it's like I can't do it.

I'm still getting poo poo done but yeah, people are struggling.

I'm in the same boat of finding it hard to focus. Once I'm in flow, then things more or less go as normal (with the exception of my WFH setup being slower and more clumsy than at the office), but it's very easy for me to get knocked out, and it's hard for me to get into in the first place, so my productivity has just tanked.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I've felt been more productive in discrete, well-defined tasks working from home, but am one of the apparently few weirdos who would like to still work primarily (though not exclusively) from an office alongside my team. There's a lot that's hard to quantify that gets lost in an exclusively virtual team.

That perception of increased output has also come with growing fatigue, though, and I need to actually take real breaks during the day and take a few long weekends. If I weren't strictly limiting my workday to 8 hours as much as possible, I'd be in much direr shape.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Productivity's been super bimodal this year. Everyone with kids did gently caress-all for a month or two. Some people were clearly working 12+ hour days for no good reason for a while. By now people have mostly settled into something stable, and the new work environment is great for some people and awful for others.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I can see realizing your job is absolutely doing nothing for anyone having a slight impact on productivity.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Grump posted:

anybody else's coworkers getting extremely loving lazy with WFH during covid? I have one dude on my team who hasn't submitted a PR in 30 days and hasn't done a PR review in 32 days. miraculously, he hasn't been fired yet :confused:

I was reading this like “lol don’t doxx me” but then I got to the no PR in 30 days and.. yikes. My productivity has definitely suffered due to WFH and overall quarantine-induced malaise and lethargy, but not nearly that badly. We usually each do a couple PRs a week on average. Sometimes I don’t finish stuff in time for review but I make sure the WIP branch is pushed so coworkers can see what I’m working on. Having (very brief) daily stand ups and weekly review meetings is helpful for keeping us on track and aware of what everyone is working on.

I honestly can’t wait to get back to the office where I was more productive and could actually interact with coworkers (and solve problems much more easily and quickly) and go out to lunch and stuff. And had actual work-life balance rather than having it all bleed together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I think I've personally been more productive working from home because the office landscape is hell for me and now I can actually minimize distractions, but communication has definitely suffered. My colleagues would generally just look over at each other (and me) and ask a question or have a quick chat when we sat together, but when we're just on Teams they're way less inclined to start anything and often really bad about answering.

That's probably a downside for the team at large, but honestly being spared from those interruptions is great for me. I hope I can keep working mostly from home when things settle again.