Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Was it the same movie where one of the douchebag-looking stars uses a deck of cards and a handkerchief to beat down an FBI assault team and a bunch of agents? I rolled my eyes so hard on that part that I still need to wear special prescription glasses.

I don’t remember but it is the one where like 5 people sleight of hand pass around a usb or something as they’re patted down by a full team of FBI agents or something.

That scene was dumb as poo poo and I’m a fully grown adult who becomes small-child level excited for magic tricks in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

My problem with the first Now You See Me is that it wants to pretend that all the tricks are just stage magic but then throws in realistic holograms at the end. Also there's the whole thing about how the heroes have been running around getting revenge for something that happens off screen to a character that does not appear in the movie other than as a picture in a newspaper. This makes it difficult to feel like the revenge is justified at some points like with Morgan Freeman's character, who gets framed for robbing a bank even though his whole involvement was just that he exposed how a magician's tricks were done and he is kind of a jerk. The movie tries to say that it was his fault that said magician then did a dangerous trick that ended up with him dying but was it?
The motive for the revenge just doesn't make sense: He's mad at the safe manufactures because they made a lovely safe, but of course they didn't build a safe to be opened from the inside under water. He's mad at the insurance company for not paying out even though it really looked like his father committed suicide and then he's mad at Morgan Freeman's character for...debunking magic tricks?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Der Kyhe posted:

Was it the same movie where one of the douchebag-looking stars uses a deck of cards and a handkerchief to beat down an FBI assault team and a bunch of agents? I rolled my eyes so hard on that part that I still need to wear special prescription glasses.

Yes, there's a big chase scene where they kill off Dave Franco's character but then near the end of the movie they revealed it was all faked and he had been running around behind the scenes doing stuff.

Alhazred posted:

The motive for the revenge just doesn't make sense: He's mad at the safe manufactures because they made a lovely safe, but of course they didn't build a safe to be opened from the inside under water. He's mad at the insurance company for not paying out even though it really looked like his father committed suicide and then he's mad at Morgan Freeman's character for...debunking magic tricks?

The revenge thing was also weird because it only comes up in like the last 5 minutes of the movie. Before that it seemed like they were just taking people down randomly.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
At the end of the Good Place season 3 Michael says he "solved the trolley problem". The situation they were in had nothing to do with the ethical dilemma the trolley problem is about, and the "solution" also does not apply to the trolley problem at all. I'm sure there are several ethical dilemmas about self-sacrifice they could have mentioned instead.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Doesn't that kind of work because Michael is kind of an idiot?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Along the lines of "poorly names sequels,"

Wreck it Ralph 2: Ralph BREAKS the Internet?

I know the movie came out after all those God-awful "Break the internet with this picture of [celebrity]!" memes/PR stunts, but seriously, it's right there, Ralph Wrecks the Internet. Why would you even dream of doing anything other than that?

God I wanted a sequel to Wreck it ralph so bad, and the monkey paw curled before I could add "and please let it be good, not have a twist villain, have a real villain and not something bullshit like toxic friendship, and please have more Calhoun and Felix!"

loving hell Vanellope goes turbo and NO ONE CALLS HER ON IT.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think Michael just liked running over people with the trolley.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

marshmallow creep posted:

Doesn't that kind of work because Michael is kind of an idiot?

probably, but it's played as a serious and touching moment that just made me Irrationally Irritated

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Cowslips Warren posted:

God I wanted a sequel to Wreck it ralph so bad, and the monkey paw curled before I could add "and please let it be good, not have a twist villain, have a real villain and not something bullshit like toxic friendship, and please have more Calhoun and Felix!"

That irritated the poo poo out of me, too.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Kinda peeved The Mandalorian episodes seem to be getting shorter and shorter this season. Last season I think they were around 45 mins a pop, and now the latest is barely 30 mins.

There's other stuff in the episode that annoyed me, but the overall length of the episodes is getting weirdly small. Like in a year there's gonna be an episode of Mando picking up the kid, saying "This is the way" and then it's gonna cut to credits.

Obviously star wars nerds will claim it is the best episode ever.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Kinda peeved The Mandalorian episodes seem to be getting shorter and shorter this season. Last season I think they were around 45 mins a pop, and now the latest is barely 30 mins.

There's other stuff in the episode that annoyed me, but the overall length of the episodes is getting weirdly small. Like in a year there's gonna be an episode of Mando picking up the kid, saying "This is the way" and then it's gonna cut to credits.

Obviously star wars nerds will claim it is the best episode ever.

Mandalorian episodes have always had way different run times, even in season 1 there were quite a few in the 30 minute range. I like it because it lets it get in, tell its story for the episode, then get out without needless filler to pad the runtime.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Wait I haven't seen the sequel, is there no Calhoun and Felix?? They're the best ones!

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

HopperUK posted:

Wait I haven't seen the sequel, is there no Calhoun and Felix?? They're the best ones!

They're in it, just for like a minute. Iirc that is.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

They're in it, just for like a minute. Iirc that is.

Well gently caress that then. I've been avoiding it because a few people said the themes are just a mess. I'll probably watch it at some point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bussamove posted:

Mandalorian episodes have always had way different run times, even in season 1 there were quite a few in the 30 minute range. I like it because it lets it get in, tell its story for the episode, then get out without needless filler to pad the runtime.

Yeah, the shortest one of the series is the 2nd episode.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The reason the latest one is so short is because Robert Rodriguez directed it and the man loving knows how to turn in a project under budget and on-time. And you do that by not shooting unnecessary poo poo you don't need.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Baron von Eevl posted:

The reason the latest one is so short is because Robert Rodriguez directed it and the man loving knows how to turn in a project under budget and on-time. And you do that by not shooting unnecessary poo poo you don't need.

:hmmyes: I noticed his name in the credits and it all made sense.

That said he also did Alita: Battle Angel and while I love that movie it clocks in over 2 hours long. If Rodriguez is good at shooting under time & budget, how much longer was the original cut? :psyduck:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

That said he also did Alita: Battle Angel and while I love that movie it clocks in over 2 hours long.

And somehow it ends when a third act should be starting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Alita was basically Robert Rodriguez shooting in the style of James Cameron, iirc.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I remember hearing that the Alita movie condensed multiple manga arcs into one story. In which case they probably needed the runtime.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

I remember hearing that the Alita movie condensed multiple manga arcs into one story. In which case they probably needed the runtime.

Yeah, they mashed at least two arcs together and probably a bit of a third? It's been ages since I read it so my memory is a little hazy. But even with the long runtime you can tell they kind of just had to end it. I actually quite like the movie but it definitely could have stood to cut some plot elements out.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Baron von Eevl posted:

This also helps keep the post budget down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufp8weYYDE8

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

:hmmyes: I noticed his name in the credits and it all made sense.

That said he also did Alita: Battle Angel and while I love that movie it clocks in over 2 hours long. If Rodriguez is good at shooting under time & budget, how much longer was the original cut? :psyduck:

The original cut was exactly as long as the final cut, he wouldn't have shot extra stuff he doesn't need.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom: Seriously, auctioning the dinosaurs for $10-20 million for a dinosaur? At least make it a few billion. Netflix paid hundreds of millions for the rights to stream Friends for a year or 2. Whoever wrote this script has no concept of money.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Dinosaurs are passe at this point. If they wanted big money, they'd clone the cast of Friends into one body, making the ultimate F.R.I.E.N.D

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Didn't Salesforce just buy Slack for 1,000 T Rexes?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

rydiafan posted:

And somehow it ends when a third act should be starting.

The third act in this case would be several movies on its own if they stayed as true to the manga as the movie did.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Spalec posted:

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom: Seriously, auctioning the dinosaurs for $10-20 million for a dinosaur? At least make it a few billion. Netflix paid hundreds of millions for the rights to stream Friends for a year or 2. Whoever wrote this script has no concept of money.

But at that price, I don't think you'd sell any of them. At that price, only a few dozen people in the world could really afford them, so you'd basically have to court them all individually and hope they don't rat you out to the dinosaur cops.

The poachers had, like, dozens of dinos. If they come out of it with a few hundred million, that's good enough.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DrBouvenstein posted:

But at that price, I don't think you'd sell any of them. At that price, only a few dozen people in the world could really afford them, so you'd basically have to court them all individually and hope they don't rat you out to the dinosaur cops.

The poachers had, like, dozens of dinos. If they come out of it with a few hundred million, that's good enough.

Sell one at a billion dollars to jeff bezos, flush the rest down the toilet. You've made more money that way than selling a dozen at 20 million each.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Dinosaurs are surprisingly difficult to keep alive. You're not going to buy Timmy a billion dollar dino when the bunny he got for Easter was dead by May.

10 million is the sweet spot for that market.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Spalec posted:

Depends on the dinosaur. Might be one of those things where they say "Dinos starting at 10 million!" when all you get for 10M is a sick, lazy compy

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Spalec posted:

Yeah, at least put one more 0 on the prize tag. 20 million gives you the trooling inbred car-sized one which is clearly built on too few genomes. I mean, at that cost even the lottery winners could get themselves a cool dinosaur and that is just stupid.

EDIT: Even expecting that DNA reconstructing and articifial insemination/incubation systems are 200+ years more advanced than what we have right now.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
They hook you with the low price of $10m, then you're stuck getting lysine pills from them to keep your dinosaur from slipping into a coma & dying.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

They hook you with the low price of $10m, then you're stuck getting lysine pills from them to keep your dinosaur from slipping into a coma & dying.

Any red meat is chock full of lysine, and lentils for the herbivores.

Edit: people don't make their own lysine and are dependant on outside sources.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

christmas boots posted:

Or how the first season of the anime was still called Lupin the 3rd. Get it together, Japan.

There is a probably wrong story about the movie The Madness of King George starring the guy from Yes Minister, where they didn't call it The Madness of King George III, because they were scared t hat they would lose the American market, because people wouldn't go to see it because they hadn't seen the first two.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

BrigadierSensible posted:

There is a probably wrong story about the movie The Madness of King George starring the guy from Yes Minister, where they didn't call it The Madness of King George III, because they were scared t hat they would lose the American market, because people wouldn't go to see it because they hadn't seen the first two.
I remember this being a really popular bit of trivia at the time, british people just yucking it up because we're all trained from birth to instinctively recognise the names of royalty and the americans aren't, as if we're not the dickheads to be pitied in that arrangement :v:

I want to say someone asked the director and he said the important part of the title change was adding the word "king" and not dropping the roman numeral though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BrigadierSensible posted:

I suppose next you’ll tell me I’m not missing out on anything by skipping the first 9 American Histories?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
My 4-year old has been obsessed with listening to "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" as an audiobook on YouTube, so I let her watch the Tim Burton film last week when she was sick. She thought the melting animatronics were hilarious.

I don't mind Johnny Depp's take on Wonka, but felt it was a bit prissy.

Reading Wikipedia, Nic Cage had been in talks to play Willy Wonka early on, but had lost interest.

My IIMM is that we missed out on a Nic Cage Willy Wonka. I don't think many actors could get the weird, cynical and manic energy that Wonka needs, but I feel Cage would have nailed it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Madness of George: Trinity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

christmas boots posted:

I suppose next you’ll tell me I’m not missing out on anything by skipping the first 9 American Histories?

I'm more surprised that the Malcolm series changed so much from a sweet film about an autistic Australian man in the first to a biopic about an American civil right's leader in the tenth.