Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Pharnakes posted:

Yes but what about phantom brigade? Some goon must have taken a punt on it by now.

It's been mentioned a bit in the steam thread. Sounded positive, but not much in the way of details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I've heard the barebones mechanics are good, basically Frozen Synapse with mechs, but that it's in very early development still

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Pharnakes posted:

Yes but what about phantom brigade? Some goon must have taken a punt on it by now.

I've played a bit. It's basically an alpha.

They are all but saying on their Discord they expect the real EA period to start with the Steam release next year.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I did that thing I said I was gonna do and bought this game when it dropped on steam, can't wait to be vaguely disappointed and post about it here sometimes.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
You know, the UI re-work and the slightly better tutorial is actually making me get more into it this time around. It's a shame they couldn't have released with this much polish right from the start as they burned way too much goodwill Day One.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
So is this game in a decent state? I enjoyed vanilla nu-XCOM / WoTC, and I’m looking at Phoenix while it’s on sale. I read the last few pages but uh...

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I'd personally say it's decent shape. Not mind-blowing, but a good X-Com-like at the 50% off sale right now. It and Troubleshooters are the only two in the genre that have caught my interest this year.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

If you like Xcom, you'd be stupid not to get this for half off

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Someone upthread made an effort post that boiled down to “If you want something that iterates intelligently on the XCOM formula such as firaxCOM, dont get this. If you just want Gollop’s XCOM but prettier and with more writing, get this.”

I’m a broken man who thinks that second thing sounds great, so I got it :v:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any reason I wouldn't stay as long as possible in those scavenging missions to farm XP from enemies other than limited ammo?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I bought this on Steam even though I already own it on EGS and I didn’t really like it when I played it on release. Why do I always do that?

I’ve heard it’s at least improved, and if it’s in my steam library I’ll actually launch it once in a while.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Ugly In The Morning posted:

... if it’s in my steam library I’ll actually launch it once in a while.

:hmmwrong:

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve heard it’s at least improved, and if it’s in my steam library I’ll actually launch it once in a while.

I used to think that about games, but upon further reflection, I've found that my steam library is where games go to die.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So is the Year One Edition gonna differ from the early Fig backer version on EGS with all the DLCs so far? I have the EGS version, but they gave me a free YOE key. I'm tempted to claim it on Steam for convenience and if it's actually different, but if it's the exact same thing I'm tempted to gift it to a friend that is into this type of game.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Fuzz posted:

So is the Year One Edition gonna differ from the early Fig backer version on EGS with all the DLCs so far? I have the EGS version, but they gave me a free YOE key. I'm tempted to claim it on Steam for convenience and if it's actually different, but if it's the exact same thing I'm tempted to gift it to a friend that is into this type of game.

As far as I know the YOE is just 'comes with all the DLC preinstalled'.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Someone upthread made an effort post that boiled down to “If you want something that iterates intelligently on the XCOM formula such as firaxCOM, dont get this. If you just want Gollop’s XCOM but prettier and with more writing, get this.”

I’m a broken man who thinks that second thing sounds great, so I got it :v:

If it HAD been that, I would have been happy, but honestly I had more fun going back the Open X-COM.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Fuzz posted:

There're some updates that dropped with the Year One Edition so if you haven't d/l'ed them on EGS yet, you'll see a few significant differences. Otherwise it's the same. Spoke to customer service and they said that your early Fig backer bonuses will also carry over to the Steam key for, say, later DLC coming down the line.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Is this game fun?

There's only been 5 pages of posts in the last half year and most of the posts I skimmed seemed pretty down on the game.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm a fig backer, was a little disappointed with its first release but they've added more poo poo to do and balanced a bit I'd say its worth $30 for game and all current dlc I'd definitely not go $60 for it though its still got no soul.

Its time on EGS was basically early access.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Boogalo posted:

Its time on EGS was basically early access.

That’s what I expected. I’m a fig backer too but never installed it until today. Halfwayish through the tutorial.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Seems pretty good so far. I'm haven't played enough to judge the geoscape yet but everything else seems pretty fun and I haven't had any major bugs or issues with the game yet.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've played 25 hours of it because I hate myself and I'm really down on the game. It starts off quite nicely and I found myself intrigued by the factions, the lore and even the free aim. It also super front loads all the cool stuff so you're 10 hours in and have seen everything but still have 30 hours of slog left to go!

But horizontal upgrades, the spread of the mist, the common base defences in bases that are loving annoying to navigate, the way healing works - there's just so much that's really annoying. I get the idea of having a load of teams and a load of aircraft but that's also really annoying busywork for basically no "fun" gained.
You get to a point where you're just constantly reloading because the enemy oneshot a character, or because you missed a bunch of guaranteed shots, or maybe an enemy attacks four times in one turn after moving or loads of other loving bollocks that's just frustrating.

There's nothing fun to me about running out of orange to build ammo. Or having to carry ammo around and running out because the mission went on for too long or etc. And grenades take an age to make so I've never got any. Just stuff like that, loads of it building up over time.

My second team is also a bit poo poo, it's too expensive to easily equip them and I only use them if I just have no other choice at all. It feels a bit like I've got a team of rookies but the enemies have advanced SO FAR beyond them that every one of their levels is struggling to keep their heads above water and it's just no fun. I blame horizontal upgrades for this. Yea i've got some okay gear on them now but it just doesn't matter. Three sirens rolls up and just killing one takes the entire team all at once, kinda thing.

And not being able to reload the game when it isn't my turn is just a pain. There's a few UI issues like this, all kinda minor but irritating.

It's probably better than Mechanius was, I'll at least give it that.

Taear fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 6, 2020

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
So far I feel like it sure does scratch that xcom shaped itch, but has exactly zero personality, so once the plot thins out I don't see any real reason to care. Until then I think I'll enjoy it right up until the millisecond I can launch Cyberpunk.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Fighting my first Scylla.
Wow, that just....really isn't fun. What can you do when they can effectively oneshot someone?

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
It’s incredible. We’re circling back to the same exact issues it had at launch.

I mean that in an amusing way. I was curious to start a new game since Year One launched and now it’s just nope.

It’s a shame cause it’s got good concepts but just blah realization.

I’m interested if the last DLC will flesh out the mechanics at all.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Watched a sponsored stream by Smight and it certainly looks good, but ammo management is definitely not something I care to deal with. Maybe if I was more accustomed to the OG XCOM style I might, but my first foray in the series was EW so I'm a little spoiled on that front.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Xelkelvos posted:

Watched a sponsored stream by Smight and it certainly looks good, but ammo management is definitely not something I care to deal with. Maybe if I was more accustomed to the OG XCOM style I might, but my first foray in the series was EW so I'm a little spoiled on that front.
OG X-Com one of the first things you can research is infinite ammo no reloads needed laser weaponry, and even the laser pistol has full auto :v: If I remember right OG Sectopods were weak to lasers and resistant to plasma just to make that extra special.

Though the convenient bits of oldschool gaming are often thrown under the bus because "My firing line of infinite ammo poo poo stat squaddies made a sectoid commander panic and hide in a closet, then I send in another rookie to beat him unconscious with a cattle prod. Well, a terror mission is up, time to actually let my soldiers use the plasma guns!" doesn't make you sound like you are recreating the hardest tactical game of all time.

Nothing will top when I beat the game by accident though. A dude got mind control steered into the boss brain room, didn't die, and took it out when they were driven berserk. Good job guys, we cleared a path so the boss could commit an elaborate suicide. The game is still a real ballbuster, but the parts that always stood out to me more were things like watching my horrible failure squads pick up the slack for when my A Team good poo poo didn't pull it's weight.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 7, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Section Z posted:

OG X-Com one of the first things you can research is infinite ammo no reloads needed laser weaponry, and even the laser pistol has full auto :v: If I remember right OG Sectopods were weak to lasers and resistant to plasma just to make that extra special.

Though the convenient bits of oldschool gaming are often thrown under the bus because "My firing line of infinite ammo poo poo stat squaddies made a sectoid commander panic and hide in a closet, then I send in another rookie to beat him unconscious with a cattle prod. Well, a terror mission is up, time to actually let my soldiers use the plasma guns!" doesn't make you sound like you are recreating the hardest tactical game of all time.

Nothing will top when I beat the game by accident though. A dude got mind control steered into the boss brain room, didn't die, and took it out when they were driven berserk. Good job guys, we cleared a path so the boss could commit an elaborate suicide. The game is still a real ballbuster, but the parts that always stood out to me more were things like watching my horrible failure squads pick up the slack for when my A Team good poo poo didn't pull it's weight.

Yeah, old X-Com had a lot of mechanics to make things less inconvenient that people don't talk about as much when trying to make a game "old school". And sometimes mechanics that sucked made for good stories.

Like, one time in a run, I bought a top of the line tank moved it to my unlucky second base to let the troops build some experience, felt pretty good... and then it exploded the second it rolled off the ramp to the first enemy that saw it. Great for talking about later, but the kind of thing that you would want to catch in testing since losing a massive investment with no way to prevent it is kind of lovely for the player's ability to make informed choices.

(I mean, I can't complain, since that same run my first soldier in the roster was a legitimate immortal, but still. I'd been expecting a lot from that hovertank, you know?)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really can't say I've had any issues with ammo management personally. Not only are there convenient buttons for putting ammo into inventory, instant ammo manufacturing and after every combat it gives you a button to replenish all the used up ammo, the fights themselves are so short that I haven't really had to reload more than once per unit per combat yet.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

I really can't say I've had any issues with ammo management personally. Not only are there convenient buttons for putting ammo into inventory, instant ammo manufacturing and after every combat it gives you a button to replenish all the used up ammo, the fights themselves are so short that I haven't really had to reload more than once per unit per combat yet.

Infiltrator guns have 3 shots. Sometimes that's a single shot because of how their guns work.

Again it's not that it's too hard to work around, I just don't see why I need to. It's one of those things you can forget and have to start over and it just doesn't need to be. I'd even be fine with spending materials at the end of a fight to refresh your weapons without ammo being a specific item, whatever. There's just no need for ammo to be an inventory thing.
Grenades are more annoying since they have construction time, I basically find I'm never using them.

Armour fits to the same thing, why do I need 3 things for it? Just let me build it as a single piece and pick the different types, that's fine.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Sounds like OG X-COM, the game this one is trying to be.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I spun the game up today and it's definitely feeling like they're smoothing the jank out of it.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Taear posted:

There's just no need for ammo to be an inventory thing.
Grenades are more annoying since they have construction time, I basically find I'm never using them

Ammo is inventory so it takes up space. Choosing whether to bring shots or carry space, especially when things go sour, can be a critical decision.

Be building grenades whenever you're not building something else. Use grenades liberally. EXPLOSIONS

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Casnorf posted:

Ammo is inventory so it takes up space. Choosing whether to bring shots or carry space, especially when things go sour, can be a critical decision.

Be building grenades whenever you're not building something else. Use grenades liberally. EXPLOSIONS

It's not a critical decision though because apart from ONE weapon 90% of the time you never run out. So I just carry one extra with everyone other than the infiltrator.
Just busywork, that's all.

Carry space only really matters in scavenge missions too. Like if I had to pick up loads of stuff then hey fine, do stuff to restrict my carrying capacity, but it's not how the game works 90% of the time.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wow this game has the worst endgame since Enemy Unknown. Just endless battles with enemies with 3000+ hp who take no damage from half of the weapons in the game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I honestly have no idea how I'm meant to kill the Scylla without people dying. 3000 health when I hit it for like 150? Come on

I got lucky and every time I reloaded it decided to make the enemies miss a turn. Not complaining there, but uhhh?

Taear fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 8, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I got a Year One key for being a backer, but I already got the game on Epic Game Store, and I sure as hell don’t need a second copy. So if someone’s been wanting to play but can’t afford the game or something, send me a PM and one lucky person gets a free Steam key.

Or if you don’t have PMs, reply here I guess?

E: the code found a home, but there were lots of people interested. So if anyone else has spare Year One keys they don't need, apparently many people would like one!

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 9, 2020

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I think "free" is the only price I'd try the game out at from what I've seen of it. But if someone actually thinks this would be up their alley, they should take precedence

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Taear posted:

I honestly have no idea how I'm meant to kill the Scylla without people dying. 3000 health when I hit it for like 150? Come on

I got lucky and every time I reloaded it decided to make the enemies miss a turn. Not complaining there, but uhhh?

Any individual creature in the game can be cheesed by stacking mark for death. It is the most hooky poo poo though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha holy poo poo, this game did it! It has base-defence missions worse than the original game, even worse than Enemy Unknown!

This is incredible stuff, lets break it down:

1. Base-attacks are ambushes
Ambushes are one of this games worst overworld mechanics, they mean you get forced into battle without being allowed to equip your troops. Naturally base attacks have the same terrible mechanic!

2. Base attacks are nothing like haven attacks
The entire loving game, 15+ hours in my case, you've been conditioned that when locations are attacked you have a grace-period to shuffle your A-squad, B-squad or whatever over. Not so with base-attacks, as per ambushes the event immediately fires.

3. No standard equipment
One of the things both XCOM and Xenonauts understood is that keeping spare troopers equipped is tedious as poo poo. Not this game however, so gently caress you if you haven't manually equipped your spare troopers. They have no armour and more importantly, no guns. And you better have done it preemptively because as per 1. you don't get the opportunity to do it when it matters. Arsenal stuffed with guns? Your guys would sooner die than touch that stuff.

4. There is surrender
You thought you'd get to skip slowly seeing your unequipped recruits get mowed down ? gently caress you! You're playing that poo poo through manually, it's what you deserve for not having used a time-machine to warn your past self 15 hours ago that this game was apparently designed in the 90's.

Jesus.

EDIT: In a baffling discovery I now see that you sometimes get a warning. Other times not. Huh?

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah that's strange, I've always gotten a warning and enough time to equip guys or even pull a field team back to base. Maybe it's something like, you only get the warning if you've discovered the nearby enemy base that the assault is coming from?