Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
In America there's no such thing as a verified service animal, however, under the ADA service dogs (there are no requirements to make accommodations for service animals that aren't dogs) have to perform a task to assist their owner so emotional support dogs don't qualify. But having a piece of paper saying your dog is a service dog makes it no more or less legitimate than any other service dog, no matter who issued that piece of paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Skwirl posted:

In America there's no such thing as a verified service animal, however, under the ADA service dogs (there are no requirements to make accommodations for service animals that aren't dogs) have to perform a task to assist their owner so emotional support dogs don't qualify. But having a piece of paper saying your dog is a service dog makes it no more or less legitimate than any other service dog, no matter who issued that piece of paper.

Thanks, this is what I meant by the word jumble above it lol.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Also people with service dogs aren't required to tell you what their disability is, but you can insist they tell you what the dog does, so if any of you want to fake your dog onto an airplane teach them to, like, pick up your keys if you drop them or something.

Or just claim he alerts you if your blood sugar drops suddenly, apparently dogs can smell that.

Air Skwirl has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Dec 3, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Also people with service dogs aren't required to tell you what their disability is, but you can insist they tell you what the dog does, so if any of you want to fake your dog onto an airplane teach them to, like, pick up your keys if you drop them or something.

Or just claim he alerts you if your blood sugar drops suddenly, apparently dogs can smell that.

Yep, as well as warn of an upcoming epileptic seizure. However don't be a dick, every single person who claims that they have to have their barely-house-trained pug on the plane with them to help them with their Chronic Lyme Disease makes life harder for people who genuinely do rely on their service dog.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The reason I know all this about service dogs is because of working in a restaurant with a large cross section of people with that needed a service dog to live their normal life and loving assholes who can't be bothered to train their dog not to hump their servers leg but did buy loving medallions that said "service dog." So I had to learn enough to be able to stare the latter half in the eye and say "you have to leave, go ahead and sue us."

Zero lawsuits by the way. Probably a lot of dogs that people lied about being service animals but they didn't gently caress with anyone so I didn't really care.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Is it actually that common now for people to bullshit about a service animal? Or for people to have service animals at all? I've worked service industry and never once come across one in NZ.

I thought it was mostly one of those stdh story set ups for people who wanted to tell a story about being a vindictive rear end in a top hat but look like they had the moral superiority to do so. Like "so this karen came in today with her dog that was just constantly pissing, like steady stream of piss, and then it took a bite out of another customer's baby and I happen to train service animals in my spare time so I could tell that this one wasn't a service animal so I called her a landwhale and forced her out of the store aren't I a hero??"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This was like 5 years ago but it was incredibly common for people with no obvious disabilities to bring their "service dogs" into restaurants in Oakland California. Some of them were probably legit and a lot of them weren't. As a server I only ever made an issue out of it with customers if the dog wasn't well behaved because there are disabilities that a service dog can help with that aren't obvious. But yeah probably 2-3 times a week over three years someone would bring their service dog that I wouldn't be sure if it was legit or not.

People are just loving entitled assholes though. That restaurant had an enclosed patio that when I started we didn't allow non service animals on, but then we did allow people to bring their dogs and one time I had a customer who let his dog wander off leash and three different times I would ask him to keep the dog on a leash because I didn't want to trip over it while bringing someone their hamburgers and he would put it on the leash then as soon as I went back inside he would let it off again.

Air Skwirl has a new favorite as of 20:54 on Dec 5, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That’s why restaurants here have a section specifically for people with service animals and they all cram in there together unhappy as gently caress

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

oldpainless posted:

That’s why restaurants here have a section specifically for people with service animals and they all cram in there together unhappy as gently caress

Pretty sure that would be flagrantly illegal in America.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

bike tory posted:

Is it actually that common now for people to bullshit about a service animal? Or for people to have service animals at all? I've worked service industry and never once come across one in NZ.

I thought it was mostly one of those stdh story set ups for people who wanted to tell a story about being a vindictive rear end in a top hat but look like they had the moral superiority to do so. Like "so this karen came in today with her dog that was just constantly pissing, like steady stream of piss, and then it took a bite out of another customer's baby and I happen to train service animals in my spare time so I could tell that this one wasn't a service animal so I called her a landwhale and forced her out of the store aren't I a hero??"

There are two types of legal distinctions here. One is for service animals which is protected by the ADA. That requires all businesses to provide accommodations to allow the service animal. The ADA only protects dogs as service animals and to generally qualify as one under the ADA they have to perform some sort of task that the disabled person couldn't on their own (like doggos that help blind people navigate around). While there is no certification process the law does say the dog needs to be well trained so a dog that is biting others or whatever is pretty clearly not a service animal.

There are also what is known as emotional support animals (ESA). This isn't based on federal ADA law and instead is based on state and/or locality. For ESA (if allowed under state law) they are only required to provide emotional support as attested by a doctor. The protections that a state offer for ESA varies but it's never as absolute as a service animal under the ADA. In my state of MN one of the protections offered for an ESA are that a landlord can't prohibit you from having the animal.

Some companies to avoid hot water just treat them the same because it can be tricky having your frontline employees enforce a ban on ESA that doesn't run afoul of people with true service animals.

There's also confusion from individuals on the differences so someone might believe their ESA is a service animal even though it isn't. There's also those that known the difference but exploit a company's fear of litigation. Then there are the people who use ESA in legit ways that people don't like (for instance I have used the ESA thing to allow my yorkiepoo and kitty to live with me when my landlord tried to ban pets).

Edit: And to add some other context, in MN an ESA is recognized for housing purposes but that's it. So the law doesn't say you can take it to a restaurant, or the airport, etc. Wheras a service animal must be allowed anywhere the public would normally be allowed.

Raldikuk has a new favorite as of 21:47 on Dec 5, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Skwirl posted:

Pretty sure that would be flagrantly illegal in America.

And we never break laws in america

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

oldpainless posted:

And we never break laws in america

loving with the ADA is a really quick way to lose a lot of money in lawsuits.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bike tory posted:

Is it actually that common now for people to bullshit about a service animal?
In the US at least the answer is:

Skwirl posted:

People are just loving entitled assholes though.

Because people started treating animals as fashion accessories thanks to The Simple Life's poodle-pug handbag carrier, and when they figured out they could cry victim with the ADA One Simple Trick they abused it to all gently caress.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Because people started treating animals as fashion accessories thanks to The Simple Life's poodle-pug handbag carrier

I think it's a bit older than that, by like at least 500 years?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

See: pocket beagles.

I actually wish the breed was still around.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't know if this is actually true but I heard lap dog breeds started so they could sit on royal's laps and keep them warm because castles could be cold and drafty.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There was a dog breed specifically to do nothing but walk in wheels to turn roasts in a kitchen. Bet they were small too.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
I guess that's maybe better than using spit boys?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My best friend trains puppies that are to be proper service dogs and they have to be extremely well behaved and responsive to commands to graduate. If the dog is making a scene without serious extenuating circumstances it’s like 99% sure that ain’t a real service dog.

Also the vast majority of from a very small number of breeds, like labs. There aren’t seeing eye pugs.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Raldikuk posted:

my yorkiepoo
You sicken me

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My best friend trains puppies that are to be proper service dogs and they have to be extremely well behaved and responsive to commands to graduate.
https://youtu.be/ND63UPelkIw

Splicer has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Dec 8, 2020

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

This always makes me laugh :3:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

There was a dog breed specifically to do nothing but walk in wheels to turn roasts in a kitchen. Bet they were small too.

you’re thinking of the flinstones

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"Eh, It's a living."
/

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Solice Kirsk posted:

Turnspit dogs, believed to have been a mix of corgi and rat terrier. There’s a photo of a taxidermied one in this article.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
This may be 18th century STDH, but I have to hope hope it happened at least once.

wikipedia posted:

The dogs were also taken to church to serve as foot warmers. One story says that during service at a church in Bath, the Bishop of Gloucester gave a sermon and uttered the line "It was then that Ezekiel saw the wheel...". At the mention of the word "wheel" several turnspit dogs, who had been brought to church as foot warmers, ran for the door.

Good puppers just wanted to get to work :3:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Concept: steampunk style alternate history, but all the machines are powered by dogs

The atom is even split by breeding incredibly small but powerful dogs that bite the atom in half. (This kills the dog.)

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

hyperhazard posted:

This may be 18th century STDH, but I have to hope hope it happened at least once.

Good puppers just wanted to get to work :3:

I recall reading somewhere that the rood screen in churches was partly to keep dogs out of the godlier bits - I’m rather a fan of the idea of going to a church with heaps of big jumpy hounds all over the place.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Concept: steampunk style alternate history, but all the machines are powered by dogs

The atom is even split by breeding incredibly small but powerful dogs that bite the atom in half. (This kills the dog.)

"we source our thorium only from USDA-licensed breeder reactors."

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Dogpunk

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Teckelnology.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

In Dark Souls there's an area called Blighttown, which is horrible and bad. One of the enemy types is a dog that occasionally spits (barks?) flames.

In one part of the area there is a giant, wooden wheel powering am elevator made of rope and planks. If you look carefully, you can see one of those dogs walking inside the wheel to power it.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

http://www.scpwiki.com/scp-4062

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Stack Machine posted:

"we source our thorium only from USDA-licensed breeder reactors."

Thorgis

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Flint_Paper posted:

In Dark Souls there's an area called Blighttown, which is horrible and bad. One of the enemy types is a dog that occasionally spits (barks?) flames.

In one part of the area there is a giant, wooden wheel powering am elevator made of rope and planks. If you look carefully, you can see one of those dogs walking inside the wheel to power it.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Are you suggesting turnspit dogs went extinct because people were farming them for upgrade souls? Sir, you have my attention.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

I 100% believe this kid is named 'Alahzandra'.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

GreenMetalSun posted:

I 100% believe this kid is named 'Alahzandra'.
That is NOT how you pronounce it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

SLOSifl posted:

That is NOT how you pronounce it.

Yeah, it's pronounced 'Alahzandra'.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

bulletsponge13 posted:

Yeah, it's pronounced 'Alahzandra'.

WELL NOW I FEEL FOOLISH