Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Yeah, I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if those rumors turned out to be true. Hollywood is pretty hosed up and I'm sure there's so much that we will just never know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Confront the girlfriend rumours!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shibawanko posted:

what kind of double life are we talking here?

The Backstreet Boys were also N'Sync.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah. That plus the rumors of her sister's pregnancy/weird foot Nickshow guy make her wigging out a lot more serious and dark than the media treated it as.
That still boils my loving blood, and by many accounts it's the tip of the iceberg.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Lately Hulu has been giving me a weird bug, where whatever I'm watching cuts away to the final commercial break, but when it returns, it's skipped to returns to the appropriate spot, except it's the next episode. Of course then when I go back to the episode I was watching I have to watch another minute of goddamned commercials.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Streaming services generally suck.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Happy Landfill posted:

Yeah, I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if those rumors turned out to be true. Hollywood is pretty hosed up and I'm sure there's so much that we will just never know about.

After the Weinstein and Me Too revelations, the frame of “why are all these Hollywood women acting so crazy” has a definitive answer: widespread sexual abuse. “Oh actors are just crazy”. Sure.

Imagine showing up for an office job and all the women there and on the factory floor were raped by the boss. That’s Miramax.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

this just looks like LGR making one of his videos so in a way it's accurate

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

After the Weinstein and Me Too revelations, the frame of “why are all these Hollywood women acting so crazy” has a definitive answer: widespread sexual abuse. “Oh actors are just crazy”. Sure.

Imagine showing up for an office job and all the women there and on the factory floor were raped by the boss. That’s Miramax.

:agreed:

But also the factory floor is filled with young women and men and they've all been raped by management and it's an actual factory.

Not hard to imagine if you ya know, know of places of this kind.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
South Park has had a lot of questionable takes, but they were spot on about "Britney's New Look".

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

It definitely puts Amanda Bynes' downward spiral in to a different context and she worked with Dan Schneider for a long time. It sucks because Schneider was just up and fired from Nick a couple years ago and so many people thought it may have been because something big was about to drop....and then nothing happened? I don't know, he's been such a big money maker for Nick for years so I still have a hard time that they would just let him go over being "difficult to work with". Who knows, maybe we will never truly know. I just know that I feel really bad for thinking Jamie-Lynn Spears was an idiot for getting pregnant like; even if the rumors aren't true, often times it's a lot more complicated in that, especially when you're a young girl having your public image tightly controlled by one group of adults while also (potentially) getting unwanted attention from another.

Glad they put Weinstein in jail, though. For a while I was thinking it was probably a lost cause so I was pretty surprised when the charges stuck. That said, I'm still pissed they let Bryan Singer do the Bohemian Rhapsody movie.

mind the walrus posted:

That still boils my loving blood, and by many accounts it's the tip of the iceberg.

Read a lot of interesting accounts of what the atmosphere was like on a lot of the shows he did. Apparently it wasn't uncommon for him to throw parties for the underaged cast at his house while alcohol was freely flowing. Again, mostly rumors, so I try not to get too worked up about it and we will ultimately never really know for sure

Happy Landfill has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Dec 7, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happy Landfill posted:

It definitely puts Amanda Bynes' downward spiral in to a different context and she worked with Dan Schneider for a long time. It sucks because Schneider was just up and fired from Nick a couple years ago and so many people thought it may have been because something big was about to drop....and then nothing happened? I don't know, he's been such a big money maker for Nick for years so I still have a hard time that they would just let him go over being "difficult to work with". Who knows, maybe we will never truly know.

The reason it was quiet is likely BECAUSE it was big. Dan "Gratuitous Feet Shot" Schneider getting completely outed would've likely dragged god-knows-what-else into the light by association, so better to just fire him, tell him to shut the gently caress up, and hope it all goes away.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If I recall that whole thing hit around the time Bryan Singer's poo poo was dropping-- someone else who is very plausibly involved in shady, shady poo poo with literal children and who was quietly minimized and exited from the front of the industry-- and the start of #metoo so without getting too speculative the whole thing smells of slowly smothering an oil fire in the kitchen before anyone noticed.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Makes sense. That would probably completely ruin Nick by association. I'm not sure how a channel devoted entirely to kids entertainment comes back from harboring more than one chronic sex creep. Think I heard somewhere that they rehired another sex creep after he served time in prison for something to do with kids...some production guy, I think.

But it is more likely that nothing will ever happen

Yeesh :smith:

Happy Landfill has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Dec 8, 2020

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Happy Landfill posted:

Makes sense. That would probably completely ruin Nick by association. I'm not sure how a channel devoted entirely to kids entertainment comes back from harboring more than one chronic sex creep. Think I heard somewhere that they rehired another sex creep after he served time in prison for something to do with kids...some production guy, I think.

Nick has already been ruined. It used to be cartoons, then Schneider turned it into glam-shots of underage girls.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ooof, I only really knew about Britney based on how the media was portraying her at the time, especially after the infamous head shaving incident. It makes sense that she would likely be the product of family and Hollywood abuse.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

PhotoKirk posted:

Nick has already been ruined. It used to be cartoons, then Schneider turned it into glam-shots of underage girls.
Many of Nick's best and best-loved shows have been live-action (YCDTOTV, Pete & Pete, Clarissa, Double Dare [and all the game shows really], AYAOTD?, Roundhouse/All That, etc.).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Happy Landfill posted:

The pervading rumor at the time was that, since he started as a child actor himself, Schneider had receipts on a lot of people. Particularly in Redstone's media empire, which is how he got the position he was in at Nickelodeon to begin with and why Redstone had a vested interest in protecting him.

For Brittany, as much as it was played up as a crazy nervous breakdown thing, shaving her head was 100% about her being in a bitter custody battle and trying to head off a follicle drug test maneuver from Federline's lawyer.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The pervading rumor at the time was that, since he started as a child actor himself, Schneider had receipts on a lot of people. Particularly in Redstone's media empire, which is how he got the position he was in at Nickelodeon to begin with and why Redstone had a vested interest in protecting him.

For Brittany, as much as it was played up as a crazy nervous breakdown thing, shaving her head was 100% about her being in a bitter custody battle and trying to head off a follicle drug test maneuver from Federline's lawyer.

So the fat weirdo nerd from Head of the Class became a fat weirdo producer/director of a bunch of nickelodeon live action tv shows while creeping on or grooming the kids in those shows? Some lawyer who was privy to the truth was like, yup, it will be cheaper just to let his rear end in a top hat keep making us money while we pay off the victims? The near-sightedness of show business never fails to ugly up my mood whenever I hear stories about it.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

Iron Crowned posted:

Lately Hulu has been giving me a weird bug, where whatever I'm watching cuts away to the final commercial break, but when it returns, it's skipped to returns to the appropriate spot, except it's the next episode. Of course then when I go back to the episode I was watching I have to watch another minute of goddamned commercials.

Same here. Been making for some very confusing Wings viewing

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
we have to go back!

https://twitter.com/bobo_the_second/status/1338232690278019073?s=20

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Is that cyber-dog having a heart attack?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Animal-Mother posted:

Is that cyber-dog having a heart attack?

All the gravity in that room has been reversed somehow and all his blood is rushing to his upper body at a frightening pace.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Was there some sort of high school football movie where people screamed "GET WITH THE PROGRAM" at each other, that came out in the 90s?

My last year of high school was the fall 97, spring 98. I was on the football team, and all the really footbally nerds whose life revolved around it, were always telling people to "Get with the program"!! whenever someone hosed up, was late for practice or some such.
I figured they must've seen it in some HS football movie and decided to model their lives around that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

wesleywillis posted:

Was there some sort of high school football movie where people screamed "GET WITH THE PROGRAM" at each other, that came out in the 90s?

My last year of high school was the fall 97, spring 98. I was on the football team, and all the really footbally nerds whose life revolved around it, were always telling people to "Get with the program"!! whenever someone hosed up, was late for practice or some such.
I figured they must've seen it in some HS football movie and decided to model their lives around that.

That was just a 90s thing. I've never been involved in football and heard it

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There is a movie about college football called The Program.

It features a scene where they lay on the dividing line of a highway where cars are zooming by. I think some kids actually did that and died. Also features an attempted sexual assault by one of the players but it's dismissed because "she was the daughter of a doner".

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xvE1WtN75s

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

who else had/has one of these?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Ok Comboomer posted:

who else had/has one of these?

I completely forgot I did but I totally did

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Killingyouguy! posted:

I completely forgot I did but I totally did

Same and same. I definitely had two or three, or somehow ended up with them...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I never had one but I recognized it immediately. That is some powerful residual consumer memory.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Fwiw this is still a thing.

It will go down in history as our own esoteric hieroglyph that spanned generations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

dialhforhero posted:

Fwiw this is still a thing.

It will go down in history as our own esoteric hieroglyph that spanned generations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQdxHi4_Pvc

It's older than that and its origins aren't really clear.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

RagnarokAngel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQdxHi4_Pvc

It's older than that and its origins aren't really clear.

Yeah, the internet has solved the mystery of the line "That's the beauty of it, it doesn't do anything"

But the "Stussy" 'S' is an enigma.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Yeah, the internet has solved the mystery of the line "That's the beauty of it, it doesn't do anything"

But the "Stussy" 'S' is an enigma.

Where is that line from?

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

Len posted:

Where is that line from?

That's the beauty of it, it isn't from anywhere

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Len posted:

Where is that line from?

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Wikiquote:Reference_desk/Archive/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Here’s an earlier variation as well:
https://youtu.be/tWlMNltHIYI