Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So just an FYI for those of you that like to collect the materials and world items currently available in case of an event or quest that uses them pops up in the future but there is a (at least semi) hidden material in Li Yue you can get that many people seem to have missed.

If you're used to seeing lizards on the ground as a harvestable item it won't pique your notice. However, in the region of Di Hua Marsh there are special albino lizards that spawn extremely rarely. These albino lizards give an item that no one has figured out a use for yet. That item is Golden Loach Pearls. So literally a pearl formed from the gullet of a lizard assuming it isn't a translation issue.

Normally I wouldn't bother to mention this since a material item that has no use can be collected fairly easily elsewhere in the game. However, these albino lizards are an absolute bitch to find. They're worse than violetgrass, in fact! Seemingly no one has found a place where lots of them spawn yet too, from what I can tell. Which means you can't just cheese it by stopping by every now and then to pick up a batch of them. To give an idea of it, it's telling that the first result for many people on google is a reddit thread finding only two locations they spawn at.

As a result, as it stands, with the map we have now if a character ever uses these things for ascension they're going to be anywhere from 2x to 10x harder to get than even violetgrass. Which if you have a character that uses violetgrass for ascension should give you PTSD from how bad it's going to be to ascend them. :stonk:

So, to avoid that now is the time to start stocking up! And despite the bad news to how rare and hard to find they are, there is good news to all of this, however.

I've identified one surefire location that they spawn at however. Not sure many people have noticed yet, but if you go north of Wangshu Inn to the rock shield lavachurl elite boss that area has them. Look around the water's edge and around that tiny pool that leads out into the water. Be advised also that anywhere they spawn may be in the vicinity of reeds that will block your view of them. In addition to that, their coloring matches the reeds and they are as small as normal lizards. Meaning if you aren't specifically looking for them there's only a few places where you're going to notice that they even exist to begin with. As a result, a character that can move fast to catch up and some stamina food that lets you sprint longer is advised.

What this means is that if you're farming common artifacts for fusioning into your high end artifacts (And let's face it, you should be.) from the 12 hour and daily spawn sites for them and going after bosses for those blues and purps (and epics if you're high enough) then Golden Loaches are in fact right smack dab in the middle of one of the farming routes. The Wangshu inn --> Blue House --> Rock Shield ____Churl boss culminates in a spawn location.

If the lizard is white/cream colored and has the word "Golden Loach" or something like that over it when you are in collection range you know you've found a rough spawn spot to farm them. So congrats if you do that. The rest of the sites they spawn at are out of the way convenience wise.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Zwiebel posted:

So, I've been playing this somewhat casually for a few minutes to an hour a day and I'm still kind of clueless in general about what I'm doing.
But that's fine with me, mostly. I'm not really in a rush to understand what the heck people are even talking about.

But I ran into an issue where I did some dungeon around Mondstadt the other day and after I had previously only bothered to level everything up to around 30ish, that dungeon catapulted my world level (?) up to 3, increased my adventure level to 35 (after I had been at 25 for a while) and buffed all enemies up into the 40ies, making the game a lot more tedious. I don't mind a challenge, but some of those cube bosses are kinda boring and uninteractive to begin with, so only dealing pitiful damage doesn't really improve their design.

I assume this is irreversible and I gotta suck it up and level everything up to a point where I'm more comfortable again?

Are adventure levels just tied to a max amount that you can't go past until you raise world levels, but you still get xp in the process, which would explain my rapid jump in adventure levels?

Yep, some (but not all) world level increases are gated by a dungeon so your adventurer level is stuck at that point until you do the dungeon. However, you will still keep getting adventurer XP in the background and if you put off the dungeon for too long you can jump multiple ARs and WLs once you do the dungeon.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Yeah. If you look at your AR XP and see that you have like 25000/6000 xp it means that once you ascend the overflow xp will be applied and you'll gain extra levels based on the overflow.

It's irreversible, your only solution is to buff your characters up with levels and artifacts and higher level weapons.

Archonex posted:

So just an FYI for those of you that like to collect the materials and world items in case of an event or quest that uses them, but there is a (at least semi) hidden material in Li Yue you can get.

If you're used to seeing lizards on the ground as a harvestable item it won't pique your notice. However, in the region of Di Hua Marsh there are special albino lizards that spawn extremely rarely.
These albino lizards give an item that no one has figured out a use for yet. That item is Golden Loach Pearls. So literally a pear formed from the gullet of a lizard.

Normally I wouldn't bother to mention this since a material item that has no use can be collected fairly easily. However, these albino lizards are an absolute bitch to find. They're worse than violetgrass, in fact! Seemingly no one has found a place where lots of them spawn yet too, from what I can tell. Which means you can't juse cheese it by stopping by every now and then to pick up a batch of them. To give an idea of it, it's telling that the first result for many people on google is a reddit thread finding only two locations they spawn at.

As a result, as it stands, with the map we have now if a character ever uses these things for ascension they're going to be anywhere from 2x to 10x harder to get than even violetgrass. Which if you have a character that uses violetgrass for ascension should give you PTSD from how bad it's going to be to ascend them. :stonk:

So, to avoid that now is the time to start stocking up! And despite the bad news to how rare and hard to find they are, there is good news to all of this, however.

I've identified one surefire location that they spawn at however. Not sure many people have noticed yet, but if you go north of Wangshu Inn to the rock shield lavachurl elite boss that area has them. Look around the water's edge and around that tiny pool that leads out into the water. Be advised also that anywhere they spawn may be in the vicinity of reeds that will block your view of them. In addition to that, their coloring matches the reeds and they are as small as normal lizards. Meaning if you aren't specifically looking for them there's only a few places where you're going to notice that they even exist to begin with. As a result, a character that can move fast to catch up and some stamina food that lets you sprint longer is advised.

What this means is that if you're farming common artifacts for fusioning into your high end artifacts (And let's face it, you should be.) from the 12 hour and daily spawn sites for them and going after bosses for those blues and purps (and epics if you're high enough) then Golden Loaches are in fact right smack dab in the middle of one of the farming routes. The Wangshu inn --> Blue House --> Rock Shield ____Churl boss culminates in a spawn location.

If the lizard is white/cream colored and has the word "Golden Loach" or something like that over it when you are in collection range you know you've found a rough spawn spot to farm them. So congrats if you do that. The rest of the sites they spawn at are out of the way convenience wise.
It's almost certainly just going to be a potion component (worst case scenario, a gadget component) like Lizard Tails. Up to date all character ascension materials are "local specialties" which loach pearl isn't.

There's a leak related to it: they're required for "warming potions", which interacts with the cold mechanic of dragonspine: https://genshin.honeyhunterworld.com/db/item/warming_bottle/

If mandatory they're certainly going to be made more common than they are right now.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 7, 2020

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Archonex posted:

So just an FYI for those of you that like to collect the materials and world items in case of an event or quest that uses them, but there is a (at least semi) hidden material in Li Yue you can get.

If you're used to seeing lizards on the ground as a harvestable item it won't pique your notice. However, in the region of Di Hua Marsh there are special albino lizards that spawn extremely rarely.
These albino lizards give an item that no one has figured out a use for yet. That item is Golden Loach Pearls. So literally a pear formed from the gullet of a lizard.

Normally I wouldn't bother to mention this since a material item that has no use can be collected fairly easily. However, these albino lizards are an absolute bitch to find. They're worse than violetgrass, in fact! Seemingly no one has found a place where lots of them spawn yet too, from what I can tell. Which means you can't juse cheese it by stopping by every now and then to pick up a batch of them. To give an idea of it, it's telling that the first result for many people on google is a reddit thread finding only two locations they spawn at.

fwiw here's where the mihoyo interactive map says they spawn :v:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Xun posted:

fwiw here's where the mihoyo interactive map says they spawn :v:

Yeah, that's literally all the places anyone has found so far. They only spawn in the Marsh in Li Yue. And only in a very specific portion of the area.

Also, if i've already gotten C0 Zhongli should I keep rolling for C4 Xinyan's -15% physical defense reduction constellation? She seems absurdly powerful in terms of boosting and general combat once you build her up. And given what people are saying about physical defense being stacked high that seems awfully useful. On the other hand, saving for the next big character I want also seems like an issue since i'm low on primo's. Curious how much that -15% phys defense on using her skill contributes.

If it helps, I don't have Chongyun yet.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 7, 2020

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

I really enjoy Zhongli, him and Xinyan popping shields constantly is fun to play around with but his design is wonky. His weapon is atk%, which goes against their stated design philosophy for him. They wanted him to be a tanky shield generator but it seems they just wouldn't commit to it since they figured no one would buy an hp% spear I guess.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tbh nobody wants an ATK% spear. Idk why they made it it's a weak rear end stat in general.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Zwiebel posted:

I assume this is irreversible and I gotta suck it up and level everything up to a point where I'm more comfortable again?

Yep.

quote:

Are adventure levels just tied to a max amount that you can't go past until you raise world levels, but you still get xp in the process, which would explain my rapid jump in adventure levels?
There are some world level quests that lock your max rank until you pass them. You're still gaining adventure xp all this time though, so unlocking rank will just give you a bunch of levels in one go.

Rewards also increase with world level so you'll be at power parity soon enough.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Archonex posted:

Yeah, that's literally all the places anyone has found so far. They only spawn in the Marsh in Li Yue. And only in a very specific portion of the area.

That's the official mihoyo map, it's not based off of findings, but the developer itself, meaning those are all the spots indeed.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
on the one hand it's a really bad sign that their response to a massive community outcry is lol get hosed. on the other Zhongli is great and these people are morons

I think if they had released him with his C6 as an ascension talent and just given him even better healing with his C6, he would have been perfect and all of this would have been avoided.

No Wave posted:

Tbh nobody wants an ATK% spear. Idk why they made it it's a weak rear end stat in general.

yeah. the VV is beautiful and looks so good on him, but I refuse to roll for it because of that. Skyward Spine is his BIS for support and no one will ever convince me otherwise, it's so so good to have that energy recharge

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's good that their response is to do nothing. Players pulled on a character they're not mechanically interested in, it will happen again and again and the solution isn't to turn him into a new character.

Griefing gacha devs appears to be some kind of game for the chinese gaming community (remember the 4/10 review bomb because resin existed?). Gacha's a pretty sinister business practice so I guess it just comes with the turf.

Soothing Vapors posted:

yeah. the VV is beautiful and looks so good on him, but I refuse to roll for it because of that. Skyward Spine is his BIS for support and no one will ever convince me otherwise, it's so so good to have that energy recharge
I certainly agree. Energy Recharge is probably the next most useful substat after crit rate/crit damage. Crit is really overpowered in this game, I imagine long-term it will ultimately be optimal to have crit rate/crit damage on every weapon where you care about damage and just use sands for ER if you want it.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 7, 2020

Archonex
May 2, 2012

BillyC posted:

I really enjoy Zhongli, him and Xinyan popping shields constantly is fun to play around with but his design is wonky. His weapon is atk%, which goes against their stated design philosophy for him. They wanted him to be a tanky shield generator but it seems they just wouldn't commit to it since they figured no one would buy an hp% spear I guess.

So am I reading this right and they're not going to be buffing him?

He's completely unacceptable as a 5 star as he currently stands. A lot of 4 stars currently out perform him, and if they keep creeping with the power I can't even see him being useful for the one or two niches he currently has in a month or two barring some sort of content specifically designed to make him useful. Doubly so since there is no survival mode that would incentivize defense, meaning that by the design of the game itself he is useless. And even in the case of defense he's damned near useless in a co-op group unless you whale on him hard.

His energy generation is probably the most bullshit nonsense in the game as well. It can't even proc properly to the point where people are convinced it's outright bugged. Couple this with his abysmal damage outside of his burst and he's just crappy to play both as anything but a solo solo and all around in co-op (And you need to whale to get his usefulness for him there. Which is extra lovely given the 5 star drop rate.). At best you swap him in for a high burst in single player and maybe apply a shield or drop a stele for the distant hope that he'll generate some energy for himself, and then switch out.

What's worse, their explanation makes no sense since in co-op you need C2 to provide shields to party members. And in both events and at the end game you're probably going to be co-oping a lot to make domains and events more doable. So he literally cannot be a support buffer that gives defense to other party members because of that since the Jade Shield isn't a group apply without his third constellation. Without his C2 the only way to apply a shield to others is to either play "catch the enemy" with the stele while another character hits it with an element or have his C2 which gives a Jade Shield to everyone around him when he casts his burst.

He needs a buff. There simply is no argument against that. Fixing his resonance issue is not going to change the fact that he sucks balls outside of his burst, which itself is gimped outside of very niche party compositions since he can't even build the energy to use it.

Edit: And in this case, no, saying to wait until they add in a survival mode or something like that doesn't cut it. Honkai Impact is still mostly a DPS focused game after all this time. So holding out hope for that in Genshin is dumb and counter-intuitive for the consumer.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 7, 2020

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can mihoyo also buff my Qiqi so she is the best cryo DPS in the game while at it? I feel like her being outperformed in cryo DPS by Chong and Kaeya (4*!!!) seriously hampers my enjoyment of the game.

(Read: WTF, lol, these people)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Being 5* isn't a guarantee that a character is meta optimal, just that they're mechanically unique and do something well. It's certainly not a guarantee that you'll want the character. I hate that people post comparisons with Xiangling like the 5* has to be better than the 4* at everything, Xiangling's an amazing character and I'm very happy everyone gets her for free.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Can mihoyo also buff my Qiqi so she is the best cryo DPS in the game while at it? I feel like her being outperformed in cryo DPS by Chong and Kaeya (4*!!!) seriously hampers my enjoyment of the game.

(Read: WTF, lol, these people)

Maybe stop being a smartass and actually read the math behind how he works and how it interfaces with the gameplay. He's got a lot of issues at multiple ends. Outside of the people whining that he isn't a DPS monster there are actually some really serious issues behind how he works.

At the very least his C2 needs to be built in by default. If he's supposed to be a supporter that gives defensive buffs to party members he needs to actually be able to do that at all times. Jade Shield only self applies without using his burst when you have C2. And the crystalize shards are not a good substitute given that depending on party comp people may have to stop DPSing to actually get them.

No Wave posted:

Being 5* isn't a guarantee that a character is meta optimal, just that they're mechanically unique and do something well. It's certainly not a guarantee that you'll want the character. I hate that people post comparisons with Xiangling like the 5* has to be better than the 4* at everything, Xiangling's an amazing character and I'm very happy everyone gets her for free.

No one outside of the redditors upset that they didn't whale another Diluc or Venti are complaining that he isn't a ridiculous DPSer.

Most people are pointing out that he literally cannot do some of the things he's supposed to be able to do. And that you have to essentially build a team to compensate around some statistical values that are so all around hosed (Like his energy generation. Which as mentioned is so random that lots of people are convinced it's just straight up bugged. I've personally witnessed this. A fair bit of the time he generates no energy with his skill. A lot of the time he generates a pittance that is barely noticeable. Sometimes it just spikes hard to full almost immediately. It's loving bizarre and no character in the game has that level of variance.) that he can't function at his proper roles without them.

Edit: Worse still, at C0 he's literally just straight up incomplete. Some of his basic functionality is locked behind the constellations and until people saw him in game that wasn't clear given the vagueness of the skill descriptions that talents and constellations have. I mean, putting stuff behind constellations is fine for a 4 star. You're going to get them as a regular thing if you do any sort of rolling. But for a 5 star that is beyond hosed. Doubly so that since it wasn't apparent until well after he was out and people had rolled on him.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 7, 2020

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar

Archonex posted:

So am I reading this right and they're not going to be buffing him?

Yea, the only thing mihoyo considers bugged is his C2, there's even an in-game notice about it now.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

People honestly need to just do their due diligence before blowing their gems because it was not a surprise to anyone that had been paying attention that Zhongli wasn't a high tier character. Not every 5 star is going to be a hit, especially not if Mihoyo plan to experiment with kit designs (which I hope they do). If people don't want Mihoyo to make 5 star characters like Zhongli, then the best way to communicate that is to not pull on his banner. That's the only feedback they care about. Instead, Zhongli's banner has already made more money then Venti and Childe's did, and people are complaining after the fact.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Archonex posted:

Maybe stop being a smartass and actually read the math behind (...)

No, thanks. Bullshit like that breaks any enjoyment of the game, because it leads to infinite "pls, buff this, pls, buff that, pls, nerf these". People enjoyed Zhong Li and used him in parties just fine, until they read he's bad.

Too much meta purely for meta is not good for the game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's a readable difference between the complaints about zhong not being venti tier and the more legit complaint that he has the only rng (possibly at times) energy generation in the game.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

No, thanks. Bullshit like that breaks any enjoyment of the game, because it leads to infinite "pls, buff this, pls, buff that, pls, nerf these". People enjoyed Zhong Li and used him in parties just fine, until they read he's bad.

Too much meta purely for meta is not good for the game.

Okay, well if you aren't concerned with the fact that he's got huge issues then maybe don't bother being sarcastic about the people pointing out how hosed up he is.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've been using Zhongli since day 1. I think he's lots of fun as a burst support. I have him on 2 noblesse/2 Petra. I start with him, pop his pillar, pop his ult, switch to Xingqiu with sac sword and generate a bunch of energy plus hit his ult and then Klee just has to do a few charged attacks and Zhongli's ult is back and doing 17k-26k damage. Not to mention there are now gems everywhere that I can grab to optimize Klee's attacks so I can just take attacks that would normally send me flying.

He's definitely not a main DPS, at least I think he would underperform compared to lots of other options, but he's let me get farther than I had before in abyss and more easily. Plus he's fun and his ult is cool, which is worth a non-trivial amount.

I've only really used Klee and Jean as my other 5 stars but Zhongli seems on par with Jean.

I do agree that energy generation on his pillar is weird and should be explained or fixed. I haven't tested it out, but two pillars should definitely generate more energy and I thought I heard someone say it wasn't.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Barbara is such a bad healer in abyss it's ridiculous

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
has anyone said "goonshin impact" yet

anyway my friends suckered me into playing the weeb game and it's actually pretty drat good, especially for someone like me who can spend a few hours just gliding around the overworld unlocking TP points and collecting more essence to deposit at the Statues. i'm only adventurer level 16 or 18 or summat but i've been rolling mostly with Traveler/Amber/Noelle and then swapping out for Chongyun or Beidou depending on what's going on. it's pretty neat to go and plink a dude's shield with a fire arrow til you set it on fire long enough for it to disintegrate

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
If mihoyo want me to build a wind catcher, then they need to make it able to do the things you can do in the gliding challenges. THEN it would be worth 10 (!) anemo hypostasis macguffins.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Those butterflies will be free for you eventually if you level any anemo to 90. Just wait until you have extras.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

barnold posted:

has anyone said "goonshin impact" yet

anyway my friends suckered me into playing the weeb game and it's actually pretty drat good, especially for someone like me who can spend a few hours just gliding around the overworld unlocking TP points and collecting more essence to deposit at the Statues. i'm only adventurer level 16 or 18 or summat but i've been rolling mostly with Traveler/Amber/Noelle and then swapping out for Chongyun or Beidou depending on what's going on. it's pretty neat to go and plink a dude's shield with a fire arrow til you set it on fire long enough for it to disintegrate

The discord is called that

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

No Wave posted:

Those butterflies will be free for you eventually if you level any anemo to 90. Just wait until you have extras.

Thing is though, as it is right now it's not even worth one of them, even if you don't have Venti either. Also there'll always be another character.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

To mention something that could explain why Zhongli is so dumpy:

Pre-nerf Zhongli actually had legitimate utility that made him valuable as a support. However, they stripped out one highly unique feature and one damage res debuff and then never replaced them. Which is probably causing a lot of the drama since without those two features all he has going for him is a SP party only shield that doesn't generate energy and a high damage burst that's a nightmare to pull off without him leeching energy from another character.

If I remember it right he originally could actually absorb shields from any shield element with his hold E. This made him the character that a lot of people probably want to get so they can get through the later abyss levels filled with Fatui mobs. In addition to that, his burst applied a 15%ish damage resistance debuff to either physical or geo similar to how Mona's applies a temporary damage debuff with her burst. I forget whether it was a phys or geo debuff, but either one would open up entirely new builds.

If his awful energy issues are intentional then it seems like they nerfed him by removing those things but didn't compensate for the damage that did to his overall design. Which is why he comes off as so broken unless you're running certain party comps and why he sucks for co-op support. He literally lost the things that were supposed to make him play at the level of a limited 5 star before he was released.

Removing the shield thing and parring it down to just geo just exacerbates the constellation issue and how offensively greedy it appears to be. Since him actually being able to drain all elemental shield types would itself make people look at his C1 and C2 as if they were just extraneous additions to his character similar to how all the other 5 stars work instead of them being core functionality he needs to fulfill certain roles like co-op support and the like.

If they reversed the rather sudden pre-release nerf Zhongli to his hold-e (He had both leaks and supposedly his skill set officially shown off prior to release.) was given before he exited beta they could probably dispel most of the complaints. He'd have legitimate utility to a group as a support character that buffs and debuffs.

Edit: The lack of the damage res debuff also really stands out since depending on how it worked it synergizes with the traits of the other new character in his banner. So it's really notable that it isn't there.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 7, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You shouldn't be getting angry that pre-release builds don't make it to live. It's not like that functionality was moved to constellations either.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

No Wave posted:

You shouldn't be getting angry that pre-release builds don't make it to live. It's not like that functionality was moved to constellations either.

The point I was making is that that if we're looking for a reason why, design wise, he is as broken as he is then it may be possible that it's because they stripped a bunch of his features out immediately prior to him being released in the banner and they either didn't or didn't have time to compensate for that.

I wasn't saying he needs those things specifically. Just that by losing those things they put a lot of priority on just how bad the other parts of the character are.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 7, 2020

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
I'm glad they did not nerf his butt.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Gacha rule # 22 let other dumbasses roll first

Archonex posted:

The point I was making is that that if we're looking for a reason why, design wise, he is as broken as he is then it may be possible that it's because they stripped a bunch of his features out immediately prior to him being released in the banner and they either didn't or didn't have time to compensate for that.

I wasn't saying he needs those things specifically. Just that by losing those things they put a lot of priority on just how bad the other parts of the character are.

:hai:

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Zhongli was never able to strip non-geo shields, that was just misinfo/speculation. Another version of the rumor was that petrify converted shields to geo element, which was also bs.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

YES bread posted:

Zhongli was never able to strip non-geo shields, that was just misinfo/speculation. Another version of the rumor was that petrify converted shields to geo element, which was also bs.

There were videos of him absorbing abyss mage shields with his hold-e floating around during beta. So unless those were some extremely high quality fakes it seems like he could do it at some point.

Regardless of which, that seems like an excellent way to get people to shut up about him. Have him be the special limited time 5 star that can eat shields similar to how Venti is the CC/DPS monster, Klee can literally set up a freaking area denial minefield that can combo easily for massive pyro damage, etc, etc. Then they could par out individual elements to other 4 stars down the line.

More to the point, it circumvents the hugely controversial issue with his constellation and how you currently need at least C2 to let him cast his Jade Shield on people in co-op. Which means he has potentially limited functionality as a shield supporter without it. Which means you gotta loving whale to even get his basic functionality unless you like timing those stele resonances and absorbs (Good loving luck, given how much juggling tends to happen.) with nearby elements mobs have or other players have applied.

Not going to get into the energy regen thing since it's so hosed that a lot of people just assumes he's glitched. I imagine that'll touch off another shitstorm if MiHoYo confirms that's intentional and he hasn't gotten a buff yet.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 7, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Giving all teammates shields in co-op is obviously op. I mean it's co-op but it's an absurd effect. Ofc it's a constellation, it's a huge flex. Even if it's C2 it's on a power level that makes you think this game can't ever have serious co-op content.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

SirKibbles posted:

Gacha rule # 22 let other dumbasses roll first

Archonex
May 2, 2012

No Wave posted:

Giving all teammates shields in co-op is obviously op. I mean it's co-op but it's an absurd effect. Ofc it's a constellation, it's a huge flex. It's surprising that it comes as early as C2 for Diona given how crazy it is, it's on a power level that makes you realize this game won't ever have serious co-op content.

Uh, are you saying that a shared effect is OP in co-op? Or that a sharable shield is OP in co-op? Because some bursts have that sort of thing built in. Healers for instance can share out effects. Barbara straight up can heal the entire team with her burst. Ditto for Bennet. Likewise, a shield is literally just a temporary HP buff that is obfuscated behind a bunch of pretty graphics, so how is that such a big deal?

Given the high amounts of damage that later mobs can do (along with how little you're incentivized to stack defense on many characters to where it matters) a character that can drop a shield on the co-op group is exactly the sort of thing i'd expect to improve gameplay if they're going to up the ante with harder mobs later on.

It'd also explain why his energy generation is so lovely at the moment. Since they would want you to rely on the rest of the group for energy generation to keep him from just making GBS threads meteors everywhere and giving everyone perma shields.

It really seems like he got a retool somewhere along the line before release (either in the planning stage or in some area of testing) that just hosed his overall design.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 7, 2020

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I have C1 Zhongli because I like the character. I had a pity lined up and got lucky on the banner for C1.

However, he does feel pretty bad to play right now. Even with Ningguang in the party, his pillars are fiddly and regen energy very poorly. They also do poor damage. If they gave particles more consistently there would be a good reason to build a Geo party around him, but I’m pretty sure Geo traveler is a far better option mechanically right now.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

SirKibbles posted:

The discord is called that

now that's cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

i was very surprised when zhongli wasn't the "detonate all the geo constructs/petrified monsters in range" character because like everything about him seemed to yell that before he was released.

e: it's pretty much a certainty that in about a year or so absolutely none of the elements are going to work like they did at launch, huh?

Stanko-Prussian fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 7, 2020