Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

I don't mean CP77, but games on console that are using ray-tracing, are pulling off some very impressive graphic fidelity and performance right now. Spider-Man Miles Morales is raytracing / 4K / 30fps and looks amazing with no frame rate hits, and this is in a gigantic open world with huge crowds of NPCs and cars.

30fps is pretty easy to hit with no frame rate hits :v:

My 2080ti can easily do any ray-tracing game right now at 30fps with no hits.

The issue is most people want to game at higher than 60fps these days.

It is cool that PS5 can do ray tracing at all though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sab669 posted:

According to the system reqs they tweeted out like 3 weeks ago a 780 is the minimum and a 1060 should be ~passable~.

But yea I'd sooner guess a 970 is like, Low Settings and not a stable 60 fps either.

So they were aiming squarely at 30 fps average with the chart.

Man I'm don't have highend gpu anymore. I should play Dominions or something :(

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah much of it is down to expectations, the average console gamer can deal with 30fps but the average PC enjoyer expects at least 60fps so they innately need twice as much hardware power to run the same effects

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

If I'm getting more Deus Ex out of this game, I'm happy. Mankind Divided doing so poorly that it's never going to get a finale for the trilogy is one of my biggest gaming bummers of the past few years. Especially since MD wasn't even a bad game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So DLSS is designed to improve performance, and with very little trade off?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Pylons posted:

If I'm getting more Deus Ex out of this game, I'm happy. Mankind Divided doing so poorly that it's never going to get a finale for the trilogy is one of my biggest gaming bummers of the past few years. Especially since MD wasn't even a bad game.

CDPR said itself it's more in the vein of Deus Ex. Those thinking it was going to be Call of Duty 2077 were always in for a rude surprise.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Last Call posted:

CDPR said itself it's more in the vein of Deus Ex. Those thinking it was going to be Call of Duty 2077 were always in for a rude surprise.

I can tell this is the case from watching leaked gameplay. The combat is seriously Deus Ex in every single way.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I said come in! posted:

DLSS is supposed to be "things look slightly worse because we rendered it at a low resolution and used our big brains to blow it up to high resolution" which is much more efficient than just rendering it out at that high res.

So, yes, improve performance with the trade off things not looking ~quite as nice~ but from what I saw in Nvidia's video announcement earlier this year, it still looks real goddamn good.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

I'm a peasant who can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, so hopefully my Radeon RX 480 will be able to run 720p Medium at a nice 30fps lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

The idea is basically you run at a lower resolution, which saves you performance, but the DLSS makes it look like you're not running lower resolution. Its very convincing.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Yep, that's the idea. The implementation quality varies a bit between games but it can work incredibly well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggnvhFSrPGE&t=959s

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

repiv posted:

Yep, that's the idea. The implementation quality varies a bit between games but it can work incredibly well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggnvhFSrPGE&t=959s

Yea I literally don't see a difference lol.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Zaphod42 posted:

The idea is basically you run at a lower resolution, which saves you performance, but the DLSS makes it look like you're not running lower resolution. Its very convincing.

Just watched a quick vid on it, had no idea that's what it does. Pretty cool!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gQ202CFKzA

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
My only experience with DLSS was in Watch Dogs Legion, where it made brick walls shimmer in a really annoying way, line they had extra aliasing

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah this is the video that really demonstrates how absurdly incredible the algorithm can be

E: Make sure you set youtube to the highest resolution

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ymgve posted:

My only experience with DLSS was in Watch Dogs Legion, where it made brick walls shimmer in a really annoying way, line they had extra aliasing

It varies from game to game a ton. It also depends a lot on if the game is using DLSS 2.0 or higher, or if it's using 1.x. The old versions were rear end, 2.0 and up are potentially wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better.

Death Stranding is amazing, to the point where not using DLSS is just dumb even if you don't really need it to get enough FPS.

In Control I ran 1080p+DLSS quality mode (so rendering like 720p actually then using the DLSS magic to get it back up to 1080p) just to see what it was like, and it looked marginally different if you switched between them, but IRL looked basically the same but with 50% more FPS.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Have they mentioned anything about cyberpunk having HDR? I don't use it ever despite my monitor supporting it, but I tried it on Tetris Effect last night and it was preeeeeetty rad. Not sure how it affects performance though.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Akarshi posted:

I'm a peasant who can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, so hopefully my Radeon RX 480 will be able to run 720p Medium at a nice 30fps lol

:same:

Well, I'll be running it at 1080p but everything else I'm right there with you.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i like that it seems more personal/emotion focused along with some big changing choices. i loved witcher 3 but its best parts was the personal moments and the small stories and it sounds like cyberpunk has plenty of that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm just remembering Witcher 3's terrible inventory system at launch and wondering what the equivalent will be for Cyberpunk.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

DLSS problem is that it needs to be setup per game, by Nvidia. So right now there is like, 20 games that support it, and 15 more announced. And that's it.

The other thousands of games released in the last year? Sorry, no luck!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

If you think these specs are wild, there's a new Medal of Honor VR game coming out Friday and the MINIMUM specs include a 2080, 170GB storage and double that to unpack.

Video games!

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Tim Whatley posted:

If you think these specs are wild, there's a new Medal of Honor VR game coming out Friday and the MINIMUM specs include a 2080, 170GB storage and double that to unpack.

Video games!

VR games have some absolutely wild storage requirements and I have no clue why.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m going to believe that someone read my post and made this just for me. Thank you!

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Tim Whatley posted:

Video games!

I remember when a single gig was massive.

Hell I remember when I only had a 80 gig HD and thought it would take care of anything.

Those were the times.

*Pats his 5 TB collection of SDD's and NVME's.*

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pylons posted:

VR games have some absolutely wild storage requirements and I have no clue why.

They need to store 2 copies of the game, 1 for each eye.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Akarshi posted:

I'm a peasant who can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps

Not being snarky: are you being literal, or is this just a way of saying "I don't care that much about graphics?" Because I don't understand how it's medically possible to not be able to see the difference between the two! Even people with poor eyesight should be able to see motion!

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Have they mentioned anything about cyberpunk having HDR? I don't use it ever despite my monitor supporting it, but I tried it on Tetris Effect last night and it was preeeeeetty rad. Not sure how it affects performance though.
GiantBomb did. It didn't work very well for them, but HDR rarely does.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

All these leaky opinions and still I have no idea what stat I'm supposed to pump to make my neon katana go snicker snack

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Communist Bear posted:

[tries to work out where his 2070 Super sits]

Same here. I know my i5 2500k is long in the tooth now and that's got me the most worried about performance, but I've not seen any benchmarks for the 2070 Super.

abraham linksys posted:

if I were a trans reviewer reviewing a game that ties your pronouns to the sound of your voice you can be drat sure I'd focus on that in my review as well

if you don't care about those details, there are 30+ other reviews to read, many of which have numbers on them so you don't even gotta look at the words

Also same. The NPC barks thing was just... honestly weird to do. Easy enough to fix with mods I reckon but still, weird. Voice dysphoria can be rough, but having an NPC hearing a deep voice defaulting to male pronouns in a video game despite the player picking female at creation time is ouch.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

Not being snarky: are you being literal, or is this just a way of saying "I don't care that much about graphics?" Because I don't understand how it's medically possible to not be able to see the difference between the two! Even people with poor eyesight should be able to see motion!

If you put them side by side and tell me one is 30 and one is 60 I can tell. If you just give me a video game and asked me to guess it's frame rate it would be a lot more difficult. It's one of those things I think people put way too much emphasis on, as if dipping below 60 for a a few miliseconds is going to ruin their entire experience.

Not saying people who care about it are wrong, it's just not a deal breaker for me personally.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Are there any actual in-game pre-order exclusive bonuses for CP2077? at https://www.gog.com/game/cyberpunk_2077 the only "pre-order" bonus is a discount for buying real life merch. the other bonuses, including in-game content, are not explicitly limited to pre-orders.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tim Whatley posted:

Video games!

It's my hope they are asking for a 2080 because they are considering the Quest 2 their official pc vr headset already (an with the near 4k resolution and 90hz, it's normal to ask for a 2080).

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

ufarn posted:

GiantBomb did. It didn't work very well for them, but HDR rarely does.

Yeah it seems like a one trick pony for really sparkly particle effects on dark backgrounds but other than that seems pretty gimmicky. I think the new Doom used it for that exact reason to a decent effect, but that's a pretty particular use case.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

black.lion posted:

All these leaky opinions and still I have no idea what stat I'm supposed to pump to make my neon katana go snicker snack

Reflex and Body. Reflex will get you more crit and body more stamina. Originally blades were on Reflex but they may have moved the skill tree, but you probably won't want to completely min/max just one stat by design because of the passive bonuses

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Thoughts RE people bemoaning the criticisms of gratuity/sex stuff - sounds like this game has problems! It's disappointing to hear that the game doesn't tread the line well enough thematically. Like, I get that the setting and tabletop game are an incredibly broad brush, but edginess - and what constitutes Having Something To Say, isn't really just something you can copy and paste from the 80's. So I get why people like Jeff Gerstmann feel weird that it's just dicks and tits with no nuance. This is already an update from the original pen and paper RPG in terms of technology, bringing it into 2020 - why not update the writing and craft to today's standard too?

edit: I'd still be curious to play it though. Might wait for a sale.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sab669 posted:

According to the system reqs they tweeted out like 3 weeks ago a 780 is the minimum and a 1060 should be ~passable~.

But yea I'd sooner guess a 970 is like, Low Settings and not a stable 60 fps either.

Ah, crap. Even with the upgrade I did over the weekend the 970 I'm running is going to be a bottleneck to greatness.

I'm also wary about the way they're doing embargos on this. Not allowing anyone to show their own footage is suspect. Of course the promo footage was well-scripted but if actual gameplay is nothing close to it, I can imagine people are going to be rightly pissed.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

pmchem posted:

Are there any actual in-game pre-order exclusive bonuses for CP2077? at https://www.gog.com/game/cyberpunk_2077 the only "pre-order" bonus is a discount for buying real life merch. the other bonuses, including in-game content, are not explicitly limited to pre-orders.

Your understanding is correct, as far as I could tell the merch coupon is the only tangible benefit anywhere. Perhaps you could also stretch it to include the amazon 10bux preorder discount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

pmchem posted:

No, CDPR likes the press of not doing those.