Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

halokiller posted:

I haven't really noticed because Seattle is already loving expensive to eat at.

At least I would say that Seattle holds a stronger wage base than Portland, Seattle prices and Portland wages seems like a recipe for disaster.

Granted, the big issue is commercial rents and they have reached the point that many businesses that otherwise would be fine are now unsustainable.

Gerund posted:

Personally, the captive audience for eating out of worker-bees stuck in shared-kitchen apodments because of the hole in regulations is something I am neither okay with and should be fixed sooner than later.

I really can't imagine living that way during a pandemic. At this point, you probably would able to save most of rent for a real apartment just by not ordering out. I mean cooking isn't that hard, especially nowadays where youtube tutorials.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yeah eating out here is way more expensive than the rest of the country. But I’m okay with many of the reasons for that and the rest can’t really be changed.

Personally, the captive audience for eating out of worker-bees stuck in shared-kitchen apodments because of the hole in regulations is something I am neither okay with and should be fixed sooner than later.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Basically whenever you get an exorbitant meal at a chain diner or find yourself paying $25 for a haircut you are paying rent costs.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Basically whenever you get an exorbitant meal at a chain diner or find yourself paying $25 for a haircut you are paying rent costs.

I’ve used the same barber for six years and I’ve really watched the price nearly double over that period. Portland commercial real estate prices like folks say has been out of control and even precovid businesses were going under. One thing that’s surprised me is that while some spaces have sat empty after the business went under, there have also been new places opening up, like the vegetarian Miami place that opened three/four months ago on burnside. So maybe it’s people just don’t stop taking risks or maybe there’s still money to be made if you’re in the right niche, idk. There’s a handful of others, and I’ve noticed the street tents going back up already after just getting pulled down last week. But a lot of places are for sure going under and as was observed prices seem to be a good 20% higher than a year ago

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ardennes posted:

At least I would say that Seattle holds a stronger wage base than Portland, Seattle prices and Portland wages seems like a recipe for disaster.

Yeah, even out where I am the grocery stores have signs up looking to get people to start with benefits at 20 an hour. My dad never made more than 17 in FL and he did it for forty years. The lowest wage I’ve seen posted was 14.75 (again I’m thirty miles out in a small town) with benefits was a Burger King, and they clearly can’t get anyone to take it. There is clearly competition for kitchen staff in in the non chains and that relative to the rest of the country is good.

The big thing that can’t be changed is logistics. Food is more expensive here in general because of transportation. I think this is a bigger component than rent even. Even eating at home is much more expensive here because of this. But this also makes a bunch of local producers more competitive relative to other regions.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Well, at least in the Portland metro, the big shift seems to be rent prices since local grocery prices in all honesty haven't changed that much. It is also why it is going to hard not to see people home cooking more as groceries prices modestly increase while dining out seems to be spiking. As for wages, the minimum wage in Portland is $13.25 and I have seen line cook positions starting at $15. (Outside the Portland metro, the minimum wage is $11.50-12.00), it is why high rents are more punishing

More and more commercial properties are hoping up...and often staying vacant and that may simply the result of landlords refusing to lower prices. The same thing is happening in New York and other big metros, but it is a big more tricky in Portland because so much of the economy is depended on hospitality and small businesses in the first place.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I agree rent is driving the current increases. But I think the biggest part of the relatives regional difference between the PNW and other parts of the country say if we compared Seattle, WA to Savannah, GA is logistics. My families grocery costs about doubled when we moved. It’s not as bad as Alaska, but it’s a similar logistical increase in price points. I think it’s going to get worse too, the container lines carteled up and jointly reduced capacity and increased prices in response to the drop in demand for ocean container freight that resulted from Coronavirus. I don’t think they’ll go back to slitting each other’s throats again for quite a while now that they’ve had a taste of actually being profitable.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I agree rent is driving the current increases. But I think the biggest part of the relatives regional difference between the PNW and other parts of the country say if we compared Seattle, WA to Savannah, GA is logistics. My families grocery costs about doubled when we moved. It’s not as bad as Alaska, but it’s a similar logistical increase in price points. I think it’s going to get worse too, the container lines carteled up and jointly reduced capacity and increased prices in response to the drop in demand for ocean container freight that resulted from Coronavirus. I don’t think they’ll go back to slitting each other’s throats again for quite a while now that they’ve had a taste of actually being profitable.

Enh, the material conditions that allow cartel behavior currently is because any one actor going full race-to-the-bottom is more likely to receive immediate karmic pandemic punishment for being the rear end in a top hat. Everyone being in the same need for safety means everyone has an in-road to cooperation; the minute that subsides I expect capitalists to adhere to the rules of the market rather than rules of infection.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Gerund posted:

Enh, the material conditions that allow cartel behavior currently is because any one actor going full race-to-the-bottom is more likely to receive immediate karmic pandemic punishment for being the rear end in a top hat. Everyone being in the same need for safety means everyone has an in-road to cooperation; the minute that subsides I expect capitalists to adhere to the rules of the market rather than rules of infection.

For years M2 , Maersk and MSC were intentionally driving down rates to bankrupt competition. It worked pretty well too. Additionally there was a systematic feedback loop driving over capacity. This all allowed the rapid expansion of globalization over the last two decades.

The end game was either going to be failure or cartel. I had my money on failure. But I tend to think the best of people which is a personal failing.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Our Seattle branch is pretty much hosed due to rent increasing. The landlord already told us that the next lease negotiation would be "at market rates" as though they'd done us some huge favor in the past. Apparently that means a 110% increase in cost. So we figured we had until 2024 to figure out a new location or buy our own building or something. But with COVID loving us out of a couple months of business and having to defer rent AND no more moratorium on evictions, the landlord has already started seeking out new tenants. Like not even being coy about it, they're inviting our direct competitors to check out the place. Our GM is supposed to meet with the landlord next week and we fully expect to be told to gtfo.

For what it's worth the landlord company is probably "evicting" themselves out of their own headquarters too so they can charge some ungodly amount for the location.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Hi goons, I moved from Dallas to work in Tacoma just over a year ago and lost about 20 lbs in the last year so I have a handful of button down business casual shirts and flannels that I bought and wore a few times that are too big for me now. I’m looking for either a good charity to donate them to that isn’t ran by religious zealots or run for profit like goodwill OR a goon in need that’s a bigboi like me. Most the stuff is 2xl from Bonobos or Eddie Bauer.

Suggestions? Or if you’re a goon in need, I have PMs so send me a message or email read my mail at gmail.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Hi goons, I moved from Dallas to work in Tacoma just over a year ago and lost about 20 lbs in the last year so I have a handful of button down business casual shirts and flannels that I bought and wore a few times that are too big for me now. I’m looking for either a good charity to donate them to that isn’t ran by religious zealots or run for profit like goodwill OR a goon in need that’s a bigboi like me. Most the stuff is 2xl from Bonobos or Eddie Bauer.

Suggestions? Or if you’re a goon in need, I have PMs so send me a message or email read my mail at gmail.

Have you checked out your local neighborhood Buy Nothing group on Facebook? I deleted my profile a couple of years ago, but my SO is an admin for our neighborhood group, and it seems like a pretty good way to get things to folks who will use them.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I don't hear much about the situation on the ground in Tacoma these days, but I saw that a homeless encampment there was attacked by people trying to rob and pillage the people living there last night and (in addition to several people being beaten bloody and at least one broken limb), someone was killed trying to defend them.

quote:

In Thursday’s homicide, which is the 30th homicide in the city this year, witnesses reported seeing people use baseball bats to beat homeless people, according to local homeless advocacy groups. Two women were reportedly hospitalized with injuries.

“This was not an act of violence among people experiencing homelessness but rather an attack by housed people on the residents of a homeless encampment,” Kevin Glackin-Coley, director of special projects for the Tacoma-Pierce County Coalition to End Homelessness, said in a statement.

Second time assaults on the homeless in Tacoma has resulted in a killing in the last couple of months:

quote:

On Aug. 15, Terrance Wilkins was fatally shot in the 6600 block of South Alaska Street by three masked men who tried to rob a group of unhoused people.

A confrontation led to Wilkins being shot in the chest. He died at the scene.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/crime/article247609785.html

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
Honestly, I’m surprised that kind of coordinated encampment attack hasn’t happened in Seattle yet. Local Nextdoor groups and Seattle subreddits have plenty of users who have zero problem using derogatory terms for the unsheltered and encampments. It’s loving nuts and it’s extremely disheartening to see their lack of empathy.

generic one fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 5, 2020

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

generic one posted:

Honestly, I’m surprised that kind of coordinated encampment attack hasn’t happened in Seattle yet. Local Nextdoor groups and Seattle subreddits have plenty of users who have zero problem using derogatory terms for the unsheltered and encampments. It’s loving nuts and it’s extremely disheartening to see their lack of empathy.

Nextdoor is apalling. It's frankly bizarre how empowered Nextdoor seems to make racists and other intolerant people.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Speaking of racists, gently caress me
https://twitter.com/AidTacoma/status/1335031288743383041?s=19

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
And the cycle of white assholes telling native people they have to move their tents continues. :stare:

Edit: While whoever it was apparently felt fine with moving right on to the violent eviction/genocide phase, it’s just a little too on the nose. Following in their great-great grandfathers steps or something.

generic one fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 5, 2020

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Watch this rear end in a top hat try to argue self defense. We’ve had a couple murders in Portland where business owners picked fights and then shot and killed people in ‘self defense’ and the general community sentiment is definitely on the side of the murderer

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Watch this rear end in a top hat try to argue self defense. We’ve had a couple murders in Portland where business owners picked fights and then shot and killed people in ‘self defense’ and the general community sentiment is definitely on the side of the murderer

I always find it amazing how the liberal ideal of 'you have absolute authority to defend your freedom on your plot of land' results in americans deciding that the land they possess will slip-slide snake-like underneath where someone they hate is standing.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Gerund posted:

I always find it amazing how the liberal ideal of 'you have absolute authority to defend your freedom on your plot of land' results in americans deciding that the land they possess will slip-slide snake-like underneath where someone they hate is standing.

Doesn’t even really have to legally be their land, either, just their perception of what’s “theirs”. George Zimmerman murdered Trayvon Martin on a street in a gated community and got off scot free.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Gerund posted:

This ideal is far more of a conservative one than a liberal one.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Peachfart posted:

I am interested in hearing why you you think that, especially as I am using Liberal in the political movement sense instead of the "what Rush dittoheads call things they don't like" sense.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Peachfart posted:

I interpreted Gerund’s use of liberal as broadening the usage of stand your ground laws, not as in the political ideology (liberals vs conservatives).

Gerund posted:

I am interested in hearing why you you think that, especially as I am using Liberal in the political movement sense instead of the "what Rush dittoheads call things they don't like" sense.

After reading this, I think I’m still tracking that right. Maybe?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

pseudanonymous posted:

Nextdoor is apalling. It's frankly bizarre how empowered Nextdoor seems to make racists and other intolerant people.

There's a burden of entry to get on so less leaks out into the rest of the internet. Whenever someone does post Nextdoor nastiness it's got the names redacted so John Smith at 234 Fake Street doesn't face repercussions.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

generic one posted:

I interpreted Gerund’s use of liberal as broadening the usage of stand your ground laws, not as in the political ideology (liberals vs conservatives).

After reading this, I think I’m still tracking that right. Maybe?

You have the jist, Liberalism is a ideology & movement that aligns imperfectly within the american blue-team / red-team dynamic, but one that holds many broad concepts that form a consensus option for the majority of americans. Stand Your Ground is a Liberal stance, but its application in america is often bigoted.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It’s cause liberal means two different things to different folks.

In one sense it is liberal.

In another sense it is conservative.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Outside of the Internet liberal means center left or further left to most Americans.

In the Internet these days it more means the ideology of Liberalism and neoliberalism.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It’s cause liberal means two different things to different folks.

In one sense it is liberal.

In another sense it is conservative.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Outside of the Internet liberal means center left or further left to most Americans.

In the Internet these days it more means the ideology of Liberalism and neoliberalism.

I don’t think that was the intended meaning here. One can be liberal in a way that means being generous with an idea or concept, and nothing to do with political ideology. For example, with a donation. I could give a liberal donation, which would mean I gave a non-profit a very generous amount of cash. Or in legal terms, one could make a very liberal argument about stand your ground laws, by saying George Zimmerman was just in shooting Trayvon Martin, due to a liberal (once again, generous) interpretation of the castle doctrine.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

generic one posted:

I don’t think that was the intended meaning here. One can be liberal in a way that means being generous with an idea or concept, and nothing to do with political ideology. For example, with a donation. I could give a liberal donation, which would mean I gave a non-profit a very generous amount of cash. Or in legal terms, one could make a very liberal argument about stand your ground laws, by saying George Zimmerman was just in shooting Trayvon Martin, due to a liberal (once again, generous) interpretation of the castle doctrine.

In Florida it’s not castle doctrine it’s stand your ground laws. Which are designed specifically to allow people to murder because they were scared, much like cops are allowed to do. Of course with such laws there’s no chance of the victim being able to argue they were the one standing their ground...

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

ElCondemn posted:

In Florida it’s not castle doctrine it’s stand your ground laws. Which are designed specifically to allow people to murder because they were scared, much like cops are allowed to do. Of course with such laws there’s no chance of the victim being able to argue they were the one standing their ground...

Fair point, and yeah, I am definitely not a lawyer, so I was mixing those two up. I was trying to come up with examples where “liberal” could be used outside of the political spectrum and obviously botched that one. :)

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I think this whole conversation shows that even smart people can be caught in the semantic weeds when homonyms are involved.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

There was/is a large fascist demonstration in Olympia today. A bunch of loosely associated Proud Boy-adjacent groups showed up and were protected by the state police while they beat, bear maced and threw home made explosives at counter protestors and journalists.

https://twitter.com/TheActivatedPod/status/1335362825020063744?s=20

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
edit: nm

generic one fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 6, 2020

Qualia
Dec 14, 2006

but isn't private property Conservative? the true Liberal act would be "deciding that the land they possess will slip-slide snake-like underneath where someone they hate is standing", and signing it over to them before eschewing the mortal coil

v v v: :aaaaa:

Qualia fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 6, 2020

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Qualia posted:

but isn't private property Conservative? the true Liberal act would be "deciding that the land they possess will slip-slide snake-like underneath where someone they hate is standing", and signing it over to them before eschewing the mortal coil

Private property is like, THE Liberal thing.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

unsurprising but good news

https://twitter.com/seattletimes/status/1336012098149683200?s=21

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

unsurprising but good news

I'll wait for the other shoe to drop when we find out that the entire Chamber and Dem establishment apparatus is supporting Pedersen for mayor or something equally repugnant.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

I'll wait for the other shoe to drop when we find out that the entire Chamber and Dem establishment apparatus is supporting Pedersen for mayor or something equally repugnant.

saw shaun scott say the chamber will back this guy (who has already announced): https://southseattleemerald.com/2020/09/04/seed-seattles-lance-randall-running-for-mayor-against-incumbent-durkan-in-2021/

i think they’re probably savvy enough not to back a white guy like pedersen

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
https://twitter.com/raadzzi/status/1336014253975773184

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i think they’re probably savvy enough not to back a white guy like pedersen

Well they backed Egan Orion