Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Therapy isn't abuse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jorge Bell posted:

Therapy isn't abuse!

Turns out that isn't always true.

Now, normal talk therapy gives me the option to walk away. That's rather important. Children don't really get that choice in the same way.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Personally, therapy didn't help me because I knew "logically" the reasons for everything, and what I needed to do, I just didn't have the brain strength to do them. Meds gave me that strength. I'm not fixed by any means, especially with covid undoing a lot, but I am forever thankful for my SSRIs

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Yeah, getting on meds gave me the power to make sweeping changes to my life for the better.

Then my disease decided to flare up and erase all the progress I made, and even once I got back to implementing those changes, they didn't actually work to make my life better.

Now I'm in a state where my anxiety is supposed to say "COVID isolation will ruin everything" and my mind is just rationally going "well we're still at zero, so it's not like anything changed".

This wouldn't be the first, or the second, or the twentieth time I've had all progress erased by factors entirely outside my control. It is the first time I just go "so?".

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Hah. And the path loops around to where it started.

Everything I've said is true.

There's no cure for me, I'm going to be circling the drain and hard as I try, I can only slow it down, not stop it or ever get back out. A better trajectory helps. So, it's much like aging in that regard. Fight it back with exercise, with better lifestyle, with medical help, but it'll always catch up to you. The world can't care if it's fair or not, no solution works for everyone, and in the end everything we do is a bunch of temporary solutions.

I do not know how to be happy. I have no idea how to solve my problems, or even if there's any way toward that goal. The only leaping my disability hasn't taken away is leaping to conclusions. I've got a hair trigger, I'm prone to angrily berating people over minor slights and I'm never quite in control of when it's time to melt down and for the rage that's always inside to come out.

But even at my angriest, my most spiteful, most reluctant to even acknowledge others exist, I won't think it's all quite the same, because it isn't. I see how people treat me, and how they treat the worse off in general. I can tell who I think is a good person, and who is a bad person, and it's all up to how much they care about the wellbeing of others, even when there isn't a reward on the line. And I can tell how much they listen to me, how much of it is what they think what I need, and how much is genuine concern for me as a person.

And I can learn. And I have.

None of it matters. There's no punishment, no reward. There's no justice apart from what we bring to the world, and we're poor judges. There are no gods and no masters, just people, and all the power anyone has over another comes from the belief of other people that they have that power; if people have neither fear nor respect for you, you have no power. Nobody has any answers.

So I don't think it's fair, and I will loudly say so, and I will loudly tell anyone who says otherwise to gently caress off. But I can see a difference between good people and bad people, and that difference has meaning to me.

So I may not have hope. I may not have goals. I may not have a way to a better tomorrow.

But I know how I make my choices, and I have a why.

And as much as I'd like to take credit for that idea, the truth is that I wouldn't be here today without people who considered it vile to tie the value of your life to your ability to coerce others to give what you need.

I know what I'm working toward.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Nobody knows how to be happy, that's why you play video games, try to jizz in somebody, and go to therapy idiot.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Life is just a cruel joke. Everything truly is Something Awful. When waking up I never know if I'm going to be berated by another terrible set of jesters that try to make mirth of my incredible genius brain or if I'll be left in peaceful quiet solitude.

I am truly broken. I accept that. I earned it. My precious unique mind is unable to be fixed by doctors, who simplemindedly suggest things like therapy. As if the dull bludgeon of a therapist could simply make me "feel better" like some kind of magical show for adolescents? Hah. I doubt that. My logic sense tells me it's exceedingly unlikely to happen.

You see unlike the rest of you people, I see what a sham everything is. My keen perception has let me discern the differences between good things and bad things. I know that therapy feels bad and hasn't worked, which tells me that it can never be good and will never work. I deduce this using my super genius brain powers.

I don't know how to fix my super great thoughts, and I do so very badly wish that I could be as dumb as the rest of you, but unfortunately I'm simply too intelligent to be told the lie of "you (I) can think about things differently."

I wish I could. But I can't.

Existence is an endless black hole of suffering in this chaos world filled with malevolence and desire which my broken body and mind is not allowed to be a part of due to the prejudices of the simple whole folks.

I don't make any goals because that would be foolish because of how broken I am, and that in no way exacerbates my feelings of aimlessness or hopelessness.

But unlike you plebs, that gives me the nihilistic conviction to take on the true enemies of man, like people saying that life isn't the worst thing ever.

In the immortal words of the Talking Heads, which I will quote in every post from now on, "Fighting fire with fire."

That is what I'm going to do.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jorge Bell has issued a correction as of 09:35 on Dec 7, 2020

Brunch Covidian
Nov 21, 2020

by Pragmatica
Is that what I sound like

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Jorge Bell posted:

Life is just a cruel joke. Everything truly is Something Awful. When waking up I never know if I'm going to be berated by another terrible set of jesters that try to make mirth of my incredible genius brain or if I'll be left in peaceful quiet solitude.

I am truly broken. I accept that. I earned it. My precious unique mind is unable to be fixed by doctors, who simplemindedly suggest things like therapy. As if the dull bludgeon of a therapist could simply make me "feel better" like some kind of magical show for adolescents? Hah. I doubt that. My logic sense tells me it's exceedingly unlikely to happen.

You see unlike the rest of you people, I see what a sham everything is. My keen perception has let me discern the differences between good things and bad things. I know that therapy feels bad and hasn't worked, which tells me that it can never be good and will never work. I deduce this using my super genius brain powers.

I don't know how to fix my super great thoughts, and I do so very badly wish that I could be as dumb as the rest of you, but unfortunately I'm simply too intelligent to be told the lie of "you (I) can think about things differently."

Existence is an endless black hole of suffering in this chaos world filled with malevolence and desire which my broken body and mind is not allowed to be a part of due to the prejudices of the simple whole folks.

I don't make any goals because that would be foolish because of how broken I am, and that in no way exacerbates my feelings of aimlessness or hopelessness.

But unlike you plebs, that gives me the nihilistic conviction to take on the true enemies of man, like people saying that life isn't the worst thing ever.

In the immortal words of the Talking Heads, which I will quote in every post from now on, "Fighting fire with fire."

gently caress off, nobody made you read this thread. you've been a poo poo since your first post here.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Jorge Bell posted:

my therapy is watching the lives of liberals/conservatives like you fall apart one way or another lol

Corpus Smegma
May 18, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

Hah. And the path loops around to where it started.

Everything I've said is true.

There's no cure for me, I'm going to be circling the drain and hard as I try, I can only slow it down, not stop it or ever get back out. A better trajectory helps. So, it's much like aging in that regard. Fight it back with exercise, with better lifestyle, with medical help, but it'll always catch up to you. The world can't care if it's fair or not, no solution works for everyone, and in the end everything we do is a bunch of temporary solutions.

I do not know how to be happy. I have no idea how to solve my problems, or even if there's any way toward that goal. The only leaping my disability hasn't taken away is leaping to conclusions. I've got a hair trigger, I'm prone to angrily berating people over minor slights and I'm never quite in control of when it's time to melt down and for the rage that's always inside to come out.

But even at my angriest, my most spiteful, most reluctant to even acknowledge others exist, I won't think it's all quite the same, because it isn't. I see how people treat me, and how they treat the worse off in general. I can tell who I think is a good person, and who is a bad person, and it's all up to how much they care about the wellbeing of others, even when there isn't a reward on the line. And I can tell how much they listen to me, how much of it is what they think what I need, and how much is genuine concern for me as a person.

And I can learn. And I have.

None of it matters. There's no punishment, no reward. There's no justice apart from what we bring to the world, and we're poor judges. There are no gods and no masters, just people, and all the power anyone has over another comes from the belief of other people that they have that power; if people have neither fear nor respect for you, you have no power. Nobody has any answers.

So I don't think it's fair, and I will loudly say so, and I will loudly tell anyone who says otherwise to gently caress off. But I can see a difference between good people and bad people, and that difference has meaning to me.

So I may not have hope. I may not have goals. I may not have a way to a better tomorrow.

But I know how I make my choices, and I have a why.

And as much as I'd like to take credit for that idea, the truth is that I wouldn't be here today without people who considered it vile to tie the value of your life to your ability to coerce others to give what you need.

I know what I'm working toward.

What is your diagnosis, if you don't mind me asking

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

e: not appropriate

Lib and let die has issued a correction as of 18:26 on Dec 7, 2020

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

e: ^^^^ thank you!

don't dig for drama like this here, it's unnecessary

Crusty Nutsack has issued a correction as of 19:48 on Dec 7, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Corpus Smegma posted:

What is your diagnosis, if you don't mind me asking

I do think I do mind, new poster. I can smell the smell of people thinking there's blood in the water.

SA's never quite that safe after all.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Also, yes, as people who have seen me performing other voices like I normally do when I post, I do have completely functional work voices at my disposal. In multiple languages and styles.

I can pretend to be normal and fine, and not pretending and allowing others to see the miserable and confused person inside is among the hardest things I've ever taught myself to do. I was taught coping methods in therapy for my condition, and all it gave me was an unconvincing, stilted normal person act and a fear of ever deviating from the script I was given. Turns out people can tell when you're lying to them, and this combined with my sensory meltdowns makes for a person who does a very convincing act of a robot where the three laws circuit can reverse polarity at any time.

I'm not making friends when my first priority is presenting a Normal Adult Human facade.

I totally get why people are afraid of letting their true personality show, because we have an acceptable range of normal. But the way I post there is the way I think, it's what everyone finds when I get comfortable with them, and it's quite a loving departure from the "I'm just a little slow on my feet, I'm fine" lie. I can tell the truth now, and have people attack me, or I can tell the truth later, and have people I trusted turn on me. I would prefer simply the option of not having a brain disease, but as my doctors have told me, they do not have the technology and any therapies are more about giving me the coping methods to act normal when I need to do so to be a functioning member of society. As far as I need to, anyway. Which is not very far, given I can't do schedules and I'll start melting down trying to force myself to do too much, as well as missing a lot of physical function, thus neatly erasing literally every non-freelance job. And freelance jobs get counted directly against my benefits.

I would never find the amount of references or stupid puns I slip into these posts acceptable in professional writing, and letting my anxieties show or letting the paragraphs wander on without any real cohesive point is the point you flip the "editing time" switch. The voice is a choice and I can switch between them at any time.

I don't know how to operate in this world, but if there's one thing comparing my own behavior to others has shown me, it's not exactly rare and everyone else is just as lost. I just try to act a little more like I'd wish other people acted, listen to people, give them second chances, asking them what they wanted to accomplish rather than what I thought they were doing - and it has done far more for me than years of trying to force myself to be normal. Because it turns out that if I keep telling myself people gently caress up all the time and that doesn't necessarily make them bad people, I start believing it.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
I came into this thread to see other posters’ coping strategies during covid, my bad. I didn’t realize it was endlessmonotony’s creative writing thread. Whoops! Guess I’ll gently caress off since making fun of self righteous assholes that tell people therapy won’t work and is abuse isn’t allowed here or whatever.

endlessmonotony posted:

Also, yes, as people who have seen me performing other voices like I normally do when I post, I do have completely functional work voices at my disposal. In multiple languages and styles.

I can pretend to be normal and fine, and not pretending and allowing others to see the miserable and confused person inside is among the hardest things I've ever taught myself to do. I was taught coping methods in therapy for my condition, and all it gave me was an unconvincing, stilted normal person act and a fear of ever deviating from the script I was given. Turns out people can tell when you're lying to them, and this combined with my sensory meltdowns makes for a person who does a very convincing act of a robot where the three laws circuit can reverse polarity at any time.

I'm not making friends when my first priority is presenting a Normal Adult Human facade.

I totally get why people are afraid of letting their true personality show, because we have an acceptable range of normal. But the way I post there is the way I think, it's what everyone finds when I get comfortable with them, and it's quite a loving departure from the "I'm just a little slow on my feet, I'm fine" lie. I can tell the truth now, and have people attack me, or I can tell the truth later, and have people I trusted turn on me. I would prefer simply the option of not having a brain disease, but as my doctors have told me, they do not have the technology and any therapies are more about giving me the coping methods to act normal when I need to do so to be a functioning member of society. As far as I need to, anyway. Which is not very far, given I can't do schedules and I'll start melting down trying to force myself to do too much, as well as missing a lot of physical function, thus neatly erasing literally every non-freelance job. And freelance jobs get counted directly against my benefits.

I would never find the amount of references or stupid puns I slip into these posts acceptable in professional writing, and letting my anxieties show or letting the paragraphs wander on without any real cohesive point is the point you flip the "editing time" switch. The voice is a choice and I can switch between them at any time.

I don't know how to operate in this world, but if there's one thing comparing my own behavior to others has shown me, it's not exactly rare and everyone else is just as lost. I just try to act a little more like I'd wish other people acted, listen to people, give them second chances, asking them what they wanted to accomplish rather than what I thought they were doing - and it has done far more for me than years of trying to force myself to be normal. Because it turns out that if I keep telling myself people gently caress up all the time and that doesn't necessarily make them bad people, I start believing it.

Quick question though, what the gently caress is this entire post about and who is it responding to? This isn’t a reply in a thread, it’s a short chapter in a lovely ESL sequel to Catcher in the Rye.

gremlins two
Aug 14, 2019

i've spent 82 days in the hospital this year (so far) and every time i go in there whichever psychiatrist is on staff at the moment changes my fuckin' meds. every. single. time. i have to argue with them just to keep my stable regimen of "government provided cheap poo poo" that, when i leave, the clinic next door changes me back to.

i don't like the meds i'm on because they have side effects like flat affect and weight gain but they're the best i can get and i haven't been inpatient psychiatric with this combo. i'm somehow one of the only people in america who isn't on disability or medicaid that gets free government healthcare just for being poor and sick without having my life dissected. it's better than not having any at all.

i used to just work, a lot, to keep myself occupied, but between covid and the big gap on my resume that employers don't like me filling with "brain worms" i'm stuck with lovely gig work -- if i can find it. i hate that i went to school for seven years and was doing well enough to go on vacation sometimes, and when i do actually have a conversation with someone who knew me three years ago i'll inevitably be asked, "what happened?"

it's hard to keep a relationship with someone when you're honest and say, "oh, you know, nervous breakdown, psychotic break, catatonic, a couple suicide attempts, a lot of meals eaten with plastic sporks."

i don't drink or do drugs or anything (maybe i should start?) and don't really have anything that helps me relax. i don't sleep much because i broke my head during a seizure and now i get headaches if i'm not upright. i can't even take my dog on walks anymore because of ambulatory issues. all of the physical stuff will eventually go away, i know this, and it's just two surgeries and some recovery. i am trying to keep a positive attitude about this but it seems like a long way off.

i know a lot of people have it worse, but i don't think that means i have it easy. i hate that we're all supposed to gauge our level of hosed-up-edness against someone else's instead of comparing it to a baseline that isn't a daily struggle.

okay i am done venting i will return to lurking hope everyone has a nice day! :hfive:

gremlins two has issued a correction as of 11:34 on Dec 8, 2020

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I just moved to a new place, I felt optimistic about it before but now realize it was a terrible mistake. I can't sleep at night unless I jam earplugs so far up my ears I miss the alarm clock, because people love to go cruising past here while playing loud music with thumping bass at all hours. I'm completely broke while waiting to be reimbursed by my workplace for payments and I've made and have no idea when they'll process it. I work part time and expect it'll be barely enough to pay the bills if I live very frugally. There are just no other jobs. I just cancelled some regular payments to charity I've been making which felt like poo poo but I can't afford it anymore. I have no friends here and I don't think I'll make any. I'm almost certain I have undiagnosed social anxiety. Last night I got so frustrated while trying to sleep in all the noise I screamed like a drat animal a couple of times. That felt good but I think I'm going insane here. Tomorrow I have a day off and hopefully I can just sleep a while with earplugs on. Just needed to get this off my mind, I have no one to confide in.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Jorge Bell posted:

Guess I’ll gently caress off since making fun of self righteous assholes that tell people therapy won’t work and is abuse isn’t allowed here or whatever.

please do! there's only one thread where you get to vent without being trolled about living with a broken brain in a failing empire on a dying world and it's this one.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Jorge Bell posted:

Guess I’ll gently caress off

but you were doing so well

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Telling people that therapy doesn't work is explicitly called out in the OP as against the rules of the thread

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tarnop posted:

Telling people that therapy doesn't work is explicitly called out in the OP as against the rules of the thread

This is true and correct but also probably turn off the mockery?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Agreed

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tarnop posted:

Therapy works for a lot of people, but it isn't a panacea.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Grevling posted:

I just moved to a new place, I felt optimistic about it before but now realize it was a terrible mistake. I can't sleep at night unless I jam earplugs so far up my ears I miss the alarm clock, because people love to go cruising past here while playing loud music with thumping bass at all hours. I'm completely broke while waiting to be reimbursed by my workplace for payments and I've made and have no idea when they'll process it. I work part time and expect it'll be barely enough to pay the bills if I live very frugally. There are just no other jobs. I just cancelled some regular payments to charity I've been making which felt like poo poo but I can't afford it anymore. I have no friends here and I don't think I'll make any. I'm almost certain I have undiagnosed social anxiety. Last night I got so frustrated while trying to sleep in all the noise I screamed like a drat animal a couple of times. That felt good but I think I'm going insane here. Tomorrow I have a day off and hopefully I can just sleep a while with earplugs on. Just needed to get this off my mind, I have no one to confide in.

That sucks about the inability to sleep since I'm sure it makes everything else feel much worse. I hope you can find a solution or are able to adapt to a different level of noise. Since you're still in a new place your brain could be on a higher level alert making it more likely to be woken up. Would over ear headphones that connect to your phone's alarm be an option?

I'm sorry about the social anxiety, I've struggled with that for a long time. It's something that's possible to improve, so don't lose hope thinking you're stuck with it forever.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I teach a class on mental health through my local NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness). We just had our last class for the year. Usually, we'll have between 8 and 12 attendees, but that was before covid. Now it's online, and out of a waitlist of 16 people, only 3 made it to the end. Luckily, they participated quite a bit, and it was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed our last class, but man am I down afterward. I have bi-polar II, and my mood bounces around. I have some periods where I'm relatively "stable," and I describe myself as "alright." That mostly means I'm managing my symptoms decently, and there aren't many extreme stressors affecting me at the moment.

I teach this class, I facilitate a support group, and I'm an active board member for my local NAMI affiliate. I try to help out, but sometimes it just feels like a load of bullshit. I wouldn't say this to anyone I work with at the local NAMI, but this seems like a good place to vent. I try to differentiate between my symptoms, and what's really going on. I also try to separate what is under my control from what's not under my control. I know self-doubt is a huge part of anxiety and depression. In my opinion, for these classes and support groups to work, you have to believe in it on some level. I have a hard time believing in it. I get good feedback though. People say they like it when I facilitate or teach classes. I don't know why it's so hard for me to believe them. My first instinct is always to argue when I hear something positive about me. I'm not fishing for reassurance or anything. I know it's a matter of reconciling the way I feel with the evidence I observe.

I'm not an expert or professional, so I don't really feel qualified to give anyone advice. I try to share what works for me, though. I try to get others to share what works for them. I've debated about going to school to become a social worker, but I'm not sure that'd be good for my mental health. Currently, the only thing I have going for myself professionally is NAMI. I make a little money from teaching classes. I feel a little guilty taking money from a non-profit on a shoestring budget. I can at least claim that I have a "job" when people ask me what I do. I get a little money for taking care of a family member with special needs. I probably could have applied for disability years ago, but I feel like I'm in some kind of state between being capable and being incapable. I got a bachelor's and a master's degree, so I know I'm capable of something. It's just hard to make it happen. Like a lot of other people in this thread, I have huge gaps in my employment record. I'm embarrassed about it. I have a lot of credit card debt, and an absolute poo poo-ton of student debt. Just a few days ago, I was debating about no longer paying my credit card payments. I signed up for a 2-part class on grant writing this coming January. We'll see how that pans out.

I'm working on being more open about my mental health. This seems like a safe enough space to talk about it. I don't need to tell anyone here that there's a lot of stigma around mental health issues. A part of me is proud of my work at NAMI, but I'm also hesitant about mentioning it to a future employer. Without my involvement in NAMI, I have an even bigger gap in my resume. I know it can be seen as a positive aspect if I try to find work in the mental health field. I'm not sure that's what I want to do. I know how draining it can be to work with peers. I'm simultaneously thankful for NAMI and safe spaces like this thread, and frustrated that I only feel comfortable expressing myself in these spaces.

I spend far too much time reading this sub-forum. I tend to bounce between being angry and depressed, and I know the events I read about are a massive trigger. On the other hand, I see a lot of like-minded people whose posts I enjoy. I don't see eye to eye with many people politically, but I find more like-minded people here than anywhere else. It took over 20 years of trial and error, but I finally feel like I have a decent mixture of meds. I used to feel the need to take long breaks from reading about current events, but I feel like I'm much better equipped to handle it these days. I feel the anger and the sadness, but the highs and lows are not as extreme. I have a tendency to only share when I feel motivated, and usually I feel the most motivated when I'm angry. I know that's the time when I need to be the most careful about what I say. When I look back at what I've shared online about politics, it mostly has an angry tone.

I want to offer words of hope and encouragement, but that would feel a bit hollow when things are so very hosed up. I'll instead post what works best for me to cope with the hosed up state of things. Everybody here knows about or has experience with therapy and psychiatry. I don't need to beat that dead horse. I will say that these professionals were only able to help me when I finally decided to advocate for myself and be honest. There are a lot of good professionals out there, but there are some awful ones too. When I'm in a bad headspace, it can be hard to tell if I'm the awful one or they are. A good litmus test is to have other peers to share your experience with. A good support group is a wealth of information. If I'm in a bad headspace, it's hard to keep track of things. I need to write everything down. I do my best to keep a journal. I write down issues that I want to discuss with healthcare professionals. I keep a calendar. I try to track how my life has changed after a change in medicine. I put down a change in medication in my journal and my calendar. I compare my journal entries before and after. I've realized I have more people who I can rely on than I previously thought. I don't share everything with everyone, but opening up a little to someone I trust is very therapeutic.

This was long and rambly, but it felt good to write. Whether or not any of it was helpful, I hope it was at least interesting.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Gods_Butthole posted:

That sucks about the inability to sleep since I'm sure it makes everything else feel much worse. I hope you can find a solution or are able to adapt to a different level of noise. Since you're still in a new place your brain could be on a higher level alert making it more likely to be woken up. Would over ear headphones that connect to your phone's alarm be an option?

I'm sorry about the social anxiety, I've struggled with that for a long time. It's something that's possible to improve, so don't lose hope thinking you're stuck with it forever.

Thanks for the concern, I always sleep on my side so headphones are sadly not an option. I might experiment a bit with having the alarm clock closer to my ears and turning up the volume so I can sleep with earbuds and still wake up. I might just have to move again as soon as I get the chance. I feel better today since I could sleep in.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Grevling posted:

Thanks for the concern, I always sleep on my side so headphones are sadly not an option. I might experiment a bit with having the alarm clock closer to my ears and turning up the volume so I can sleep with earbuds and still wake up. I might just have to move again as soon as I get the chance. I feel better today since I could sleep in.

can you try one of those lamp alarms that slowly gets brighter over half an hour?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Grevling posted:

My first apartment was across the street from a police station in the city. It was real tough because those sirens are specifically designed not to be ignored. After a bit, they just stopped waking me up.

That's not to take away from the frustration and exhaustion of it all, just to inform you that you may find yourself adapting to the disruption.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Not being able to sleep, or sleep well, is a killer. Exhaustion overrides loving everything. I want to get out of this rut, I want to finish my schooling so I'm employable outside the entry level, I want to lose weight, I want to keep the house clean but I'm so god damned tired all the god damned time.

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Perhaps it is unusual for so many words to be written, political theory instead of a memorial narrative, for a message honoring a martyr of the revolution. I kept comrade Michael Forest Reinoehl firmly in my mind with every word I wrote down in this text. This text is not an act of revenge. I still haven’t paid a penny of my debt. I have only determined it. Our revenge will go all the way.

Honor and revenge for the antifascist martyr Michael Forest Reinoehl

Honor and revenge for antifascist martyr Anthony Huber

Honor and revenge for all the martyrs of the Black Revolt

Honor and revenge for antifascist martyr Willem Van Sporsen

“I’m not standing by. I really shouldn’t have to say any more than this. I set aside my broken heart and I heal the only way I know how—by being useful.”

REVENGE for centuries of slavery, for all the generations that didn’t make it to liberation. REVENGE so that the life that is coming can breath

breadnsucc has issued a correction as of 19:40 on Aug 21, 2021

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

breadnsucc posted:

drat one of my mice died gotta say this last month or so has been actively one of the shittiest of my life

Sorry about your mouse friend, friend :(

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Wow thank you for the post UGL. It felt good to read something that resonated with me so much. I hope it's okay if I respond in pieces, not that I want it to come across as picking it apart or anything, just that there's a lot of good stuff there and I wanted to attend to it thoughtfully like it deserves.

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I teach a class on mental health through my local NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness). We just had our last class for the year. Usually, we'll have between 8 and 12 attendees, but that was before covid. Now it's online, and out of a waitlist of 16 people, only 3 made it to the end. Luckily, they participated quite a bit, and it was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed our last class, but man am I down afterward. I have bi-polar II, and my mood bounces around. I have some periods where I'm relatively "stable," and I describe myself as "alright." That mostly means I'm managing my symptoms decently, and there aren't many extreme stressors affecting me at the moment.

That's really cool, NAMI's a great org. For some people I know it was the starting point to getting their life on track. Their people always seem to be pretty down to Earth and approachable which you seem like as well. On the mood thing, I get that all the time too. Like a serotonin drain or something. After a really fun event the change of speed when it ends and I go home gives me that feeling. I'm sure it's harder with BPD2, just wanted to instill some universality there.

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I teach this class, I facilitate a support group, and I'm an active board member for my local NAMI affiliate. I try to help out, but sometimes it just feels like a load of bullshit. I wouldn't say this to anyone I work with at the local NAMI, but this seems like a good place to vent. I try to differentiate between my symptoms, and what's really going on. I also try to separate what is under my control from what's not under my control. I know self-doubt is a huge part of anxiety and depression. In my opinion, for these classes and support groups to work, you have to believe in it on some level. I have a hard time believing in it. I get good feedback though. People say they like it when I facilitate or teach classes. I don't know why it's so hard for me to believe them. My first instinct is always to argue when I hear something positive about me. I'm not fishing for reassurance or anything. I know it's a matter of reconciling the way I feel with the evidence I observe.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of groups do you run? Do you enjoy facilitating?

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I'm not an expert or professional, so I don't really feel qualified to give anyone advice. I try to share what works for me, though. I try to get others to share what works for them. I've debated about going to school to become a social worker, but I'm not sure that'd be good for my mental health. Currently, the only thing I have going for myself professionally is NAMI. I make a little money from teaching classes. I feel a little guilty taking money from a non-profit on a shoestring budget. I can at least claim that I have a "job" when people ask me what I do. I get a little money for taking care of a family member with special needs. I probably could have applied for disability years ago, but I feel like I'm in some kind of state between being capable and being incapable. I got a bachelor's and a master's degree, so I know I'm capable of something. It's just hard to make it happen. Like a lot of other people in this thread, I have huge gaps in my employment record. I'm embarrassed about it. I have a lot of credit card debt, and an absolute poo poo-ton of student debt. Just a few days ago, I was debating about no longer paying my credit card payments. I signed up for a 2-part class on grant writing this coming January. We'll see how that pans out.

Yeah, social work is fulfilling of course but you're in a constant battle with the system. As a leftist that adds another sting to basically every interaction. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, just that I see what you mean. Then again if you did go into social work or psychotherapy you don't need to worry about gaps on your resume or poo poo like that. I think depending on the state you can provide therapy as an LCSW and just due to the declining mental health in the country as well as the stigma softening you will never have trouble getting clients.

Uganda Loves Me posted:

I spend far too much time reading this sub-forum. I tend to bounce between being angry and depressed, and I know the events I read about are a massive trigger. On the other hand, I see a lot of like-minded people whose posts I enjoy. I don't see eye to eye with many people politically, but I find more like-minded people here than anywhere else. It took over 20 years of trial and error, but I finally feel like I have a decent mixture of meds. I used to feel the need to take long breaks from reading about current events, but I feel like I'm much better equipped to handle it these days. I feel the anger and the sadness, but the highs and lows are not as extreme. I have a tendency to only share when I feel motivated, and usually I feel the most motivated when I'm angry. I know that's the time when I need to be the most careful about what I say. When I look back at what I've shared online about politics, it mostly has an angry tone.

Same. The news in cspam make it a little triggering, but for me it's even more triggering to have to sit through centrist garbage. Some days I can't decide how I want to be triggered, by harry potter politics or cspam doomerism. I never win that game but usually end up on cspam because the posters are so funny. I've seen a few anti-capitalist support groups pop up here and there, might be something to check out if one exists in your area.

Regarding feeling most motivated when you're angry: that's great, that's how it's supposed to work. Anger is a biological response to activate us. If you're using it to unseat yourself from a cemented throne of laziness or whatever, then you're properly channeling and applying a biological mechanism.

Uganda Loves Me posted:

This was long and rambly, but it felt good to write. Whether or not any of it was helpful, I hope it was at least interesting.

It was, thank you :)

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Awww, that was a much better response than I expected! I teach peer to peer https://www.nami.org/Support-Education/Mental-Health-Education/NAMI-Peer-to-Peer. I had a lot of doubts about it, because I feel like I gained basically nothing from taking it. That was mainly due to the fact that it was being taught by people who just didn't give a poo poo about more than the paycheck. There's a new-ish lesson plan as of 2018, and it is a lot more positive than before. I felt like I benefited from teaching it this time around. There's a focus on finding what works for us, and rethinking our traumatic events a bit. It's definitely a blow to the ego to only have 3 people finish the class, but they had very positive things to say. Previously, we would hold our classes at the same time as Family to Family https://www.nami.org/Support-Education/Mental-Health-Education/NAMI-Family-to-Family, which is aimed towards the family members of peers. This meant that the family could drag people like us along to take the class. Now that it's on zoom, we're missing that component. It also rules people out due to technical difficulties, but we obtained some tablets to temporarily distribute. That doesn't help if people don't have internet, but we're looking into that too.

The support group is called connections https://www.nami.org/Support-Education/Support-Groups/NAMI-Connection, and we're meeting over the phone. We've actually been fairly successful so far after the transition to remote meetings. We get 10+ attendees each meeting, while a lot of local support groups I know of have just been cancelled due to lack of attendance. I don't know how well most support groups are doing in covid. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has anything to report about their local support groups. I usually enjoy facilitating, but it's harder over the phone. I feel disconnected. I lobbied to do the support group over zoom, but the other facilitators weren't tech savvy enough to get it working. I may try again, but we've established a pattern by now, and it'd be hard to change.

Our local NAMI affiliate has been really bad about getting the word out. As in, I've been fighting bi polar 2 for over a couple decades, and living in this area, but I only heard about them a couple years ago. I heard about them from the local DBSA affiliate. It sounds like a bad sitcom, but our local DBSA and NAMI support groups are rivals with bad blood between them. I made flyers for the DBSA group, and I cringe every time I find one out in the wild hahaha. I make flyers for our NAMI resources, and distribute them to local therapists and doctors offices.

I try to find support where I can get it these days, but there are few places I can commiserate with people about politics. I can vent about bits and pieces of it to different people, but I don't really find people I resonate with outside of CSPAM. I took a class from a local DSA, but I was disappointed to see so many of them voting for Biden. My local Indivisible chapter was full of radical centrists. I try to keep my support group politics-free, but people were talking about barricading their doors to protect themselves from local BLM protesters. I mentioned that I donated to a bail fund, and I haven't heard any more criticism of BLM. This year, I've been much more open about my mental health and my political views. I don't express them in the support group, but I share a lot of articles I find here on Facebook. Sometimes I feel like I'm looking for a fight, but every now and then a relative or a friend agrees with me. That's given me some hope.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Grevling posted:

Glad you're feeling better today and I hope you find something that helps. I kinda assumed you were using a phone as an alarm, maybe that's not the case, but if you are something that worked for a friend of mine was setting it to vibrate and sleeping with it under their pillow.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Well the MH thread seems to have run fine up until this point, I wonder what's going on in

*reads QCS*

*reads the last two pages*

*sprays coffee continuously for three minutes straight*

Okay, it looks like we've gotten off track from the intended purpose. I don't blame anyone per se, I requested a while ago that Truck get IK powers to help moderate and they never got them and it seems like ever since we made QCS' random rotating list of whining that things are falling apart a bit.

I'm going to do a better job going forward keeping things under control. Please do not be a dick in this thread. It's not the place for it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Everything apparently needs re-grounding, so I'm going to do this.

• This thread is meant to be a neutral space. If you come in here legitimately looking for help and support, no matter where you post or what your opinions on CSPAM are, you are welcome here. Post whatever you like, as long as you're not hostile to other posters then go for it UNLESS YOU'RE SUICIDAL in which case I have to give you 6 and resources to reach out to. If you are a dick to people because LOL CSPAM POSTERS LOL BROKE BRAINS then you're going to catch 12-18 and hopefully longer if I can get ahold of a mod.
  • This thread will not be used for mockery. Don't expect everyone to agree with you 100% of the time, but be kind when disagreeing. Blowing in here to get some cheap lols at other people's suffering is a no-no.
  • Telling people not to get therapy is against the rules. Telling people not to take their meds is against the rules. Telling people nothing matters and to just give up is against the rules. Why do I have to loving post this? Read the OP! It was written for a reason!
  • Starting slap fights may not be specifically against the rules but for gods' sake I was hoping it was obvious. If fights break out I'll generally fire a warning shot to get things back under control. Otherwise I have to use the probate button and I'd really rather not do that.

All right, I'll get off my soap box. I want to underscore the most important thing about this: Do not be afraid to post here. And, if you catch anyone cross-forums quoting from here to laugh for whatever reason, let me know immediately, and I'll take it to the admins.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
holy poo poo, i was wondering why we weren't seeing some probes for drive-by threadshitting and just looked up that thread. luv2see the hottest takes from helldump 3.0 on the only neutral ground in this subforum. apologies for contributing to your workload Chokes.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

drat there are some really hostile people in that thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Yeah. I probably shouldn't have fanned the flames harder but gd.