Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

they didnt bend because they were too long, its not a problem a dremel can fix. Its a not dropping poo poo problem

Oh okay. I meant if only the tips of the pins are bent, then maybe it would be possible to straighten the pins by cutting off the tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The Gadfly posted:

Oh okay. I meant if only the tips of the pins are bent, then maybe it would be possible to straighten the pins by cutting off the tips.

I advise you to drop whatever line of thought is leading you here as there's nothing you can do with a dremel that won't irreparably damage a CPU.

I also advise you not to worry about bent pins because if you don't drop the thing in the 5 or so seconds you'll be holding it it's a non-issue.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

The Gadfly posted:

Ah, yes, you're right, thank you. I have been indeed having a bad week, now that I think about it. Didn't realize it until the cathartic roar of real, gut laughter hit me.

Thank you, I am in your debt, sir :)

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Tapedump posted:

Ah, yes, you're right, thank you. I have been indeed having a bad week, now that I think about it. Didn't realize it until the cathartic roar of real, gut laughter hit me.

Thank you, I am in your debt, sir :)

Uh... well, I'm glad I could help :)

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Success!

My tuf b550 arrived in the mail a few hours ago and I've got everything installed. Now all the temperatures are perfectly fine, and I even got a tiny bit more performance out of my 5800x, which is due to the different bios I suppose. I can now play Flight Simulator without worrying about the chipset running at the perfect temperature for brewing coffee. The x570 is packed away, ready to be returned to Amazon.

And thus the chipset saga comes to a close. Now I just need to wait another couple months before I can buy a 3080 or 6800xt, whichever becomes available first.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Dramicus posted:

Success!

My tuf b550 arrived in the mail a few hours ago and I've got everything installed. Now all the temperatures are perfectly fine, and I even got a tiny bit more performance out of my 5800x, which is due to the different bios I suppose. I can now play Flight Simulator without worrying about the chipset running at the perfect temperature for brewing coffee. The x570 is packed away, ready to be returned to Amazon.

And thus the chipset saga comes to a close. Now I just need to wait another couple months before I can buy a 3080 or 6800xt, whichever becomes available first.

:woop: glad to hear it

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
After significant diligence I have been able to secure an RTX 3070 and 5600x, i'm a bit stuck on which X570 motherboard to choose.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TUF-X57...ctronics&sr=1-3

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-X57...ctronics&sr=1-4

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-X570-Gam...ctronics&sr=1-9

I think i'm generally leaning towards the Asus based on positive past experiences with their boards, they're all roughly the same price with the MSI being about 20$ cheaper.

first new computer build since about 2013

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

infraboy posted:

After significant diligence I have been able to secure an RTX 3070 and 5600x, i'm a bit stuck on which X570 motherboard to choose.

I think i'm generally leaning towards the Asus based on positive past experiences with their boards, they're all roughly the same price with the MSI being about 20$ cheaper.

I have the non-wifi version of that Gigabyte board and been happy with it. One thing I would say is if you get the Gigabyte board to avoid their Windows software. It's mediocre at best, and crashy at worst, and has had security issues in the past. To my knowledge there is nothing in Gigabyte's Windows software that can't be accomplished from the BIOS, better 3rd party software, or Windows itself.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

infraboy posted:

I can say don't get the Asus Tuf if you have a large/long GPU. Installed the Tuf x570 on monday and spent the week trying to stop the chipset from hitting 94 degrees under load. I ended up ordering a tuf b550 and just finished installing that today. Temps are great on the b550.

TLDR: The position of the chipset fan matters a lot.

Other than that, the board itself is nice.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

infraboy posted:

Why X570 instead of B550?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I’m getting chipset temps around the high 60s on my X570-I Strix, does that seem alright?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

ijyt posted:

I’m getting chipset temps around the high 60s on my X570-I Strix, does that seem alright?

Perfectly fine.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I hear zero recs for Asrock for Ryzens. Huh.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

redeyes posted:

Their B550 boards (except the Taichi) run the second M.2 slot at half speed for some dumb reason and bury the fact in the small print of the board specs, so I'd never recommend one to anybody.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

sean10mm posted:

Their B550 boards (except the Taichi) run the second M.2 slot at half speed for some dumb reason and bury the fact in the small print of the board specs, so I'd never recommend one to anybody.

For anyone looking to do more research on amd chipset motherboards, this google sheet is useful and makes storage slots being at half speed very obvious:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1wmsTYK9Z3-jUX5LGRoFnsZYZiW1pfiDZnKCjaXyzd1o/htmlview#gid=2112472504

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

infraboy posted:

As others have said, I would consider a B550 board over an X570 unless you expect to be running two PCIe 4.0 NVMe drives and need the full bandwidth for both (unlikely). Also, regardless of which chipset you choose, make sure whichever board you get has BIOS flashback from USB as you will need to do a BIOS flash first thing to support a 5000-series CPU. You will want to do that before attempting to install any components

I’ve been very happy with the Asus TUF Gaming Plus B550 board in my recent 5800x/3070 build. The BIOS flashback was a breeze

Khorne
May 1, 2002

redeyes posted:

Taichi x370 is one of the only x370 boards I'd buy/use, Taichi x470 is okay but MSI had a much cheaper offering with identical features for most uses. Their B450 boards were great on the low-mid end provided their features met your needs. Yeah, the VRM on the b450s wasn't impressive, but you could run a 3900x for 5+ years on the $60-$80 b450 boards they had that people slammed the VRMs on. MSI really killed it on b450 if you were willing to pay a little more than that.

My main complaint with asrock x570 is at $200-$270 I'd pretty much just buy gigabyte every time. At least at launch prices. Gigabyte used the same components down their entire stack and were pretty good value compared to other vendors. With pricing now, there are more options (lots of boards are down $20-$40 from launch), but I bought at launch so I haven't kept up with how prices shifted since then. x570 taichi was a board I wanted at launch but it wasn't stock, gigabyte's pro wifi was my other choice, and when I saw the gigabyte was $40 cheaper I would have went with it anyway given they have identical features for my use & gigabyte has better chipset fan placement & pro wifi's design is less gaudy.

It's kind of interesting because there are 0 gigabyte boards I'd have bought for x370/x470/b350/b450. This was the first time I bought a gigabyte product as far as I know, I usually favor asrock on motherboard/msi on gpu, and I've been pretty happy with it. But I stalked motherboard spec sheets and made sure it met my needs in the best way possible. Bios is a tad confusing because things exist in 2-3 places, but my strategy there is to just use the AMD overclocking menu instead of the convenience menus.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 5, 2020

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I've been pretty happy with my x570 MSI tomahawk motherboard so far fwiw.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I've been pretty happy with my x570 MSI tomahawk motherboard so far fwiw.
That board didn't even exist at launch and looks good spec wise. The MSI launch boards were good but they didn't try to fight in the $220-$270 range at launch and mostly had a great $180-$200 + great $300 offering. I'm fairly sure everyone will be happy with almost any x570 board they buy provided they check for ports/etc and see what people who own them are saying.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 5, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

redeyes posted:

There's nothing wrong with them, they just normally aren't super price-competitive with some of the other more common board recommendations. Also their aRGB program is probably the worst of the bunch.

ASRock are still the ones you go to for weird poo poo, though. Like I'm running their x570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 board because it is literally the only mITX board out there with TB3 support. So far it's been perfectly fine (though it lacks FlashBack, which is annoying).

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

redeyes posted:

My X470 Taichi was fine, only moved on from it because I needed a smaller system.

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 5, 2020

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Looks like i'll be going with the Gigabyte motherboard, their BIOS can be flashed without CPU/ram since this will be a new build and I don't have an extra Ryzen around. AMD does the loaner CPU program but it seems a bit of a hassle.

Looks like MSI can be flashed without CPU/ram as well

infraboy fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 6, 2020

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I choose to believe that demand is so slammed right now that people bought the XT CPUs knowing what they were

I'm seriously considering buying an XT because my 5900X order keeps getting delayed and delayed and I can't seem to get it on any 5600/5800 drops. Tired of looking at the rest of my parts just sitting on the table. Figure I can at least use it temporarily and then sell or return it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

redeyes posted:

They are the ones you go to for weird poo poo that the other partners won't even consider, but as of this moment, their BIOSes are horrific.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Something I've noticed to this day is that motherboard manufacturers still basically say "if it is not broken there is no need to update the BIOS," when everyone else is obsessed with up to date BIOS including the security side of the house.

Just shitposting but I've always internalized it as most of them knowing their drivers and BIOS are total poo poo that barely work - which isnt a knock, I know the whole web is basically that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lol I can't update the BIOS on my B350 because I can't get a display going to the UEFI

probably just gonna get a new board if I'm ever upgrading to Zen 2 next year

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

bus hustler posted:

Something I've noticed to this day is that motherboard manufacturers still basically say "if it is not broken there is no need to update the BIOS," when everyone else is obsessed with up to date BIOS including the security side of the house.

Just shitposting but I've always internalized it as most of them knowing their drivers and BIOS are total poo poo that barely work - which isnt a knock, I know the whole web is basically that.

That, and also (until FlashBack started becoming A Thing) it's one of the few ways to--if it goes wrong--end up with a completely bricked system, so the risk:reward certainly recommends not fixing it if it ain't broke when you're the one paying for the resultant RMAs.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
GamersNexus had a bit about BIOS development when the news about AMD not supporting Zen3 on older boards broke. The basic summary was that it's incredibly complicated work, there's barely anyone who can or is willing to do it, and most of the board manufacturers BIOS team is one person.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

bus hustler posted:

Windows (and presumably other modern operating systems) can and do load microcode security fixes into the CPU during the boot process, so even if BIOS isn't doing it directly the updated microcode is still applied to the system at runtime. So basically check the change log of your BIOS and if it doesn't address an issue or compatibility you are actually experiencing then just skip it, there is no particular risk of missing security fixes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
AMD used to have a system where they'd release a socket like AM3 or FM2, and then later in the lifecycle, they'd do an AM3+ or an FM2+.

If you were on the non-plus board, you'd need to get a new board to support the later CPUs, but the plus boards would support all of the older CPUs so you could still use it to tide you over.

This was still somewhat better than Intel forcing new sockets on people every two generations.

Of course, AMD wanted AM4 to be a bighuge value proposition because they were on the backfoot coming out of the Bulldozer, which is why they only stuck with a single socket no exceptions, but I feel like that did come at the cost of all this BIOS support hullaballoo.

If they stuck with that old model, they could have done something like Bristol Ridge, Zen 1, and Zen 2 are on AM4, and then AM4+ will support all of those and Zen 2 and 3. That'd simplify things by quite a bit.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got the advice to look to this thread to fix my 3900x boost clocks. https://www.overclock.net/threads/edc-1-pbo-turbo-boost.1741052/page-6

Yeah those couple tiny settings.. JESUS! My proc hits 4600+ Mhz now on 6 cores. Temps are way way up now, more in line with what I was actually expecting out of a 100+w tdp processor. So now I'm maxing out around 75c all core load with a Noctua cooler.

Did I mention that poo poo fixes single core loading now too? One or 2 cores will easily hit 4.6Ghz and sustain that for an entire workload.

Im over the moon! Thanks goons!

redeyes fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 6, 2020

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
5800x Available for purchase at MSRP. In stock Jan 10.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B0815XFSGK

e: The window was maybe 4 minutes tops from the 3:29 notification.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 7, 2020

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus, what was the price?!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

redeyes posted:

Jesus, what was the price?!

MSRP, so $450.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Finally got my 5800x from antONLINE and running in my x470 board. 4.85ghz boost out of the box :banjo:

Anyone know of any tweaking guides for 5k's? I WANT MORE

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Prescription Combs posted:

Finally got my 5800x from antONLINE and running in my x470 board. 4.85ghz boost out of the box :banjo:

Anyone know of any tweaking guides for 5k's? I WANT MORE

Do Manual PBO with Curve Optimizer. search the last couple of posts i made for a little bit of example. You can add +200 MHZ and people are at 5.05 on 5800x. You can also try playing with the Scalar as well. Some have used 10x although tbf im not sure it actually does much. A nominal start would be -5 on the two best cores (ryzen master will put a star and a dot next to them), and -15 on all others. If that's stable, maybe see about doing -10 on 2 best cores and -20 on others. It's all still guesswork but seems like get your two best ones low but not the low (-5 to -10, maybe even -15 if super duper binned) your worst cores put at the lowest you can (15-25), and the intermediate cores somewhere in between (~ -15)

https://www.overclock.net/threads/ryzen-9-5950x-curve-optimizer-to-5-1-ghz-pbo-and-overclocking.1774434/ a lto of good discussion about it in there, esp towards pg5 onward.

and just check that temps are lookin' good and not getting thermal throttling by applying +200mhz in PBO. If it's looking good, shoot for +250.

quote:

I'll try to explain as easiest as possible.

As you said each count is 3-5mV; therefore 30 counts are between 90mV and 150mV delta above or below the voltage that PBO decides to apply to the single core.
Upon the quality of the core PBO will use more voltage for the best cores and less for the worse cores.
An high quality core can sustain more voltage and reach a higher frequency, reach a higher frequency with the same voltage or sustain a lower voltage while keeping a higher frequency.

Therefore it makes perfect sense that it works better if you reduce less the voltage for the best cores and more for the others.
You need to think about what is driving the algorithm; current and temperature, both locally and globally.
If the worse cores are pushed higher with voltage they'll gain very little but will generate much more heat and will need more current.
This will constraint locally the adjacent good cores and the whole CCD.
Globally they will reduce the budget for the whole CPU which will constraint the good cores boost; that's why AMD is suggesting also to bring down the whole 2nd CCD to boost the 1st one.

But then why reducing the voltage for the good cores is improving their performances?
There are a number or reasons; most important are the heat and the default curve settings.
The unbalance of voltage against the other cores will make more headroom for the good ones due to the lower heat.
PBO has a rough idea about the quality which means doesn't know exactly at which voltage/frequency the core is stable.
Upon a set of tests ran on the silicon it's programmed with a set of values that will work 99.9% of times; it's conservative to ensure as much as possible reliability.
But if you fine-tune it, based upon your specific setup, you can usually get same or higher frequency/IPC with less voltage.
If you put the right strain on the core, you'll get the best performances.
The default curve is a catch-all setting; it's working quite well on Zen3 looking at the results. That was not the case with Zen2...

Maybe you are wondering why it can't de done automatically without user intervention.
Sure, it could be done better, like everything.
But I think the curve optimizer is the best compromise.

First it's important to understand that PBO and all these algorithms behind are not pre-emptive but reactive.
They have a set of parameters that are used to drive the CPU and they'll react to the changing conditions.
There's no memory (except a few things), there's no learning.

Then where's the bottleneck? Are they too stupid, too simple, not enough comprehensive?
Yes and no.

They are all the above but there are also reasons they are like that.
We are already talking about fairly complex algorithms that are reacting to thousands of sensors input with a 1ms granularity.

If you add more factors, variables, inputs, etc then the complexity will increase. Often by orders of magnitude.
You want to remember? You need storage.
You want to learn? You need an AI.
This is die space, quite a lot if you want to be really "smart".
And die space it's not only precious but for all this stuff will need power and add heat which will quickly overcome any advantage.

It's better to do simple things if you are not smart enough.
Manual tuning is more welcome; trying to do something so complex without being smart enough is always counter-productive.
And it's costing money and time to implement and maintain which is surely better spent somewhere else.

Simplicity in this case has also many benefits.
Imagine your have a not enough smart PBO that knows your cooling capacity and learns about it.
It's not going to drive the CPU above some thresholds.
But maybe you switch your AIO to an Extreme cooling profile.
The "not smart enough" PBO will need time to understand it's not just an open window.
Maybe will decide it is an open window and will keep your CPU running at lower frequencies...
A more simple and reactive algorithm will just drive the CPU higher in few ms due to the changing conditions.

The basic idea is you're adding a lot more +clock offset with PBO, but that's going to generate more draw and higher thermals to run it. The better the chip is (binning, silicon lottery, etc), it can sustain higher clock frequency with less voltage which means better thermals and less thermal throttling (reminder Undervolting is a form of overclocking!) but they're designed with a little bit of margin of safety for stability-reasons and that not all are going to be created equal. To counter the increased thermals, you want to be more wise in where your voltage is getting applied to because it isn't good enough to do that itself. So you want to run overall less voltage on the best ones while still being stable, but you also don't want it to go to 'underperforming' cores either, so you want to give even less voltage to the worst cores keeping heat down so it doesn't throttle the best cores. The overall combination of +200mhz (or more) base clock boosts multi-core performance, but you also get better single-threaded performance by optimizing the two best cores as well and allowing it to run that without throttling downwards.

Interestingly the very last post in that thread someone found they had better performance on the 5800x by giving even less voltage to the best cores and only a little less on the worst cores, which actually is interesting that that was the case, and if you have time then definitely things to play around with and run CB testing on and see what works best but stable for you. Maybe try both options or some combination of such. It's all relatively new poo poo but you can get some more gainz in either case you slice it. I'll probably play around with it this weekend some more myself.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 7, 2020

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Good stuff, thank you.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

For people who were having Gigabyte BIOS issues, it looks like the just released F11n.

IIRC the highest version before (which they pulled) was F11k, which has been OK for me but gave a bunch of other people trouble.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

sean10mm posted:

For people who were having Gigabyte BIOS issues, it looks like the just released F11n.

IIRC the highest version before (which they pulled) was F11k, which has been OK for me but gave a bunch of other people trouble.

I'm not sure for which boards you're referring. I just checked and the most recent beta BIOS for my x570 is F31o.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm not sure for which boards you're referring. I just checked and the most recent beta BIOS for my x570 is F31o.

B550