Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Will it pass the upper house? Upper seems pretty LNP friendly for bullshit like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Of course it will

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Lambie will pass it for some random veteran exclusion from the program, xenophon’s gang will pass it in return for a letter from the pm saying Kirin are big meanies for shutting down west end

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Cashless welfare card passed lower house by one vote. Huge shoutout to the LNP member who made a big deal of opposing it then abstained rather than crossing the floor. Sorry in advance to the people who read my senators emails

the LNP member who made a big deal of opposing it had previously said she wouldn't cross the floor "because we have to have something in place to deal with these issues" or something like that lol

Lambie has been pretty against it recently actually, I'd be surprised if they managed to convince her again.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Her voting history is kind of incoherent so who knows

https://theyvoteforyou.org.au/people/senate/tasmania/jacqui_lambie

For a senator, I mean. She is a profoundly understandable as an "as a mum ..." person

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 7, 2020

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

The Peccadillo posted:

Her voting history is kind of incoherent so who knows

https://theyvoteforyou.org.au/people/senate/tasmania/jacqui_lambie

For a senator, I mean. She is a profoundly understandable as an "as a mum ..." person

They won't even release the Uni of Adelaide report on this. So we will never know how damaging what they are putting into law is. Scum.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Don't know why the card hasn't been lawsuited into oblivion already.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Flannelette posted:

Don't know why the card hasn't been lawsuited into oblivion already.

Poor people in regional areas don't have great access to legal advice, lawyers or people that care.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Didn't Lambie threaten to tell the details of her last deal with the coalition if Morrison didn't tell first? How'd that go? I was betting on some pension fund for families of spies/soldiers killed but couldn't be officially recognised.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Knobb Manwich posted:

Didn't Lambie threaten to tell the details of her last deal with the coalition if Morrison didn't tell first? How'd that go? I was betting on some pension fund for families of spies/soldiers killed but couldn't be officially recognised.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for her to follow through on anything.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

trunkh posted:

Poor people in regional areas don't have great access to legal advice, lawyers or people that care.

Kinda puts a damper on any plan to expand it then.
And if they try to expand it to DSP and age pension, every lawyer's balls will go to the moon on the thought of being able to get a commission to sue every single business, festival tent or garage sale that doesn't take the card in the country.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeaaaaaah, we're back to 0 active cases in SA.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Senor Tron posted:

Yeaaaaaah, we're back to 0 active cases in SA.

Took your time

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lol at josh frydenberg standing up pissing and moaning about the unequal bargaining position between news conglomerates and tech companies while simultaneously loving casual workers

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Kevin Rudd is coming back from Wuhan to Adelaide as we speak though so be careful

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for February (again) courtesy of the AusPol Secret Santa:

Thanks X13Fen!! Now I have something to wear to goon meets.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
what the gently caress

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for February (again) courtesy of the AusPol Secret Santa:

Thanks X13Fen!! Now I have something to wear to goon meets.

Lmao this owns

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Lmao this owns

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Vic libs leader: please delay voting on banning gay conversion therapy so we can consult with stakeholders.

Even thread favourite and opposition leader by volume Tim Smith is saying what the gently caress just vote it through.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Word

Cloud

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

[quote="hooman" post="510562590"]
Word

Cloud
[quote]

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Clod

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm honestly suprised anyone got charged. I have full confidence nothing will happen, merly the cost of doing business.

Leading bankers head to trial over criminal cartel allegations.

quote:

A group of some of the most senior investment bankers in the country have been committed to stand trial on criminal charges over an alleged capital raising cartel.

The landmark case relates to allegations ANZ Bank, Citigroup, Deutsche Bank acted in a cartel while executing a $2.5 billion capital raising by ANZ in 2015.

ANZ and its investment bankers will face trial over criminal cartel charges.

Six individual bankers have also been committed to stand trial and face maximum jail terms of 10 years or fines of up to $420,000 if they are found guilty.

Those bankers include the former head of Citi in Australia Stephen Roberts, Citi executives John Mclean and Itay Tuchman, the former head of Deutsche Bank in Australia Michael Ormaechea and former executive Michael Richardson. ANZ's former treasurer Rick Moscati was also committed to stand trial.

They COULD be fined 10% of their revenue, which makes me wonder if that could remove the DEBT AND DEFICIT, but we all know, nothing will happen.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Don't word cloud your posts

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Tough targets set for new Centrelink debt collectors that experts fear could result in havoc posted:

Critics of the Federal Government's botched Robodebt system fear Centrelink's new debt collectors have failed to learn the mistakes of the unlawful recovery program.

Tender documents reveal a panel of new collection agencies must continuously compete to beat rigorous financial targets for recovering money from customers: either winning more work or facing penalties.

Edit: ...
Whether or not new external debt collectors break the law won't be weighed as a factor in winning the contracts.

While tenderers must comply with legislation, such as the criminal code and racial, sex, age and disability discrimination laws, there don't appear to be penalties if they do not. :discourse:

Competing debt collectors. I am very smart.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Knobb Manwich posted:

Competing debt collectors. I am very smart.

quote:

The debt collection agencies that win contracts must have a plan to deal with the "management of escalations and threats" from customers.

The key ones are threats of violence or self-harm "as well as events that have potential for serious adverse impact to the department's reputation".

Specifically, companies must also have an action plan for when customers threaten to contact members of parliament or the media and inform the department "within 1 hour" of such a threat.

Contacting your MP or posting on r/australia (where the Media often just copies stories from) is now a threat to the debt collection agency.

I'm presuming the action plan will be to call the cops on the "customer".

Comstar fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 8, 2020

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I saw that but I assume that's shorthand for threat to reputation, which while loving dumb to write in an easily taken out of context way is still reasonable language. It was a novel half second when I thought they'd actually report a threat of suicide for a welfare check/medical help for the person before cynicism weighed in.

E: the threat isn't to the debt collector it's to centrelink's reputation. Tenders must prove how they won't embarrass big daddy tudge by leaving a demonstrable trail of suicides. Also yikes I'm bleak today.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 8, 2020

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

It’s saying when the client threatens to go to their MP. Ie. client says “fix it or I’ll call my MP / call the media”

All government funded areas I’ve worked in use that same language.

hambeet fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 8, 2020

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the language that they are threatening particular action isn't exactly the concerning part of that. It's common service language.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
gently caress marry kill?

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 9, 2020

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I gently caress myself, marry my liquor bottles together and kill god

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Tim smith is a qt

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Fingers crossed on this miserable poo poo

https://twitter.com/naamanzhou/status/1336422492693401603

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Who are the other two

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And in news which comes as a surprise to literally no one:

Fair Work Commission could allow agreements which make some workers worse off

quote:

Industrial Relations Minister Christian Porter will unveil legislation on Wednesday designed to overhaul the nation's workplace laws in a bid to stem job losses and grow employment during the pandemic-induced recession.

Mr Porter argues the "broken" enterprise bargaining system has been "slowly choked by increased technicality, complexity and regulation".

He said the proposed changes would help save jobs by giving businesses in financial distress flexibility while they recover.

"What these reforms do is not only respond to known problems in the system, but acknowledge that we've gone through something extraordinary and some businesses need help to stay afloat."

Yes, by loving over minimum wage staff who are struggling to survive.

Now we wait to watch Labor back the changes 100%.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
Labor has already committed to opposing them, specifically taking issue with the removal of the better off overall test. They also pointed out that the legislation doesn't even require businesses to be negatively impacted by covid to be allowed to reduce conditions & wages like the government has said, instead they just have to have been impacted by covid, meaning pretty much every business would count.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Oh cool, now companies can just not bother about the BOOT instead of not bothering about it and getting away with it.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Commbank tells me I'm in the top 30% of savers in my age range, by saving 100 bucks a month. Man that's hosed as a statistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Amoeba102 posted:

Commbank tells me I'm in the top 30% of savers in my age range, by saving 100 bucks a month. Man that's hosed as a statistic.

Im in the top 16% of my age bracket and I've been putting away an average of 1000 a month since march. it helps I paid off my HECS last financial year.