Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mebh posted:

After he determined it was definitely a fault and we were methodically checking the stickers one by one the very first one we checked was the oven and he went "aha that's come right off" as he checked it. He's pulled it out and neutral just fell out. He rechecked the board, abs there was still a fault but he was still cheerful, I said oh gently caress there's one behind all the cupboards, and he had this look of "of course it's going to be behind that one" but he said "not to worry, we'll check all the others first before we try to move that" so around we went.

Upstairs he was incredulous honestly, as the other two neutrals were just dangling and he had never seen the like. Some choice words were said about Barret homes. My wife then mentioned she'd been hearing a weird humming from one of the sockets but thought it was just the neighbours and he said "you didn't think to mention this til now?" (he'd been here 1.5 hours at this point and was missing the F1)

We checked again and no dice and we all slowly looked at the food store and went oh ffs. So my wife and I started frantically moving everything out throwing the contents of a sodding tardis onto the sofa so we could slide out the cabinets.

Here's what the sofa looked like after

(two massive cabinets behind the sofa, full of food, kitchen equipment and random poo poo all across their tops from various charity shops)

He pulled the socket off and went "Found the bastard!" Immediately. He was absolutely elated. Before going a fun shade of purple and handed me this:

I gave him a 4 pack of beer and he went home after we'd tested and rewired everything. He then only charged me 50 quid... Best electrician.

Are you in a new build? Probably from around the year 2000 or so? Which poo poo I guess makes it a 20 year old house at this point and not a new build at all.

Because that is 100% 'get anyone who has a screwdriver to put the sockets in quick' from before it was mandated a proper sparky had to do everything. I think that law came in around 2005 about notifiable work under section P???, but i'm probably wrong on that one. Before then any monkey could do it and actually connecting sockets properly is trickier than some thing, hence why they always come loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

serious gaylord posted:

Are you in a new build? Probably from around the year 2000 or so? Which poo poo I guess makes it a 20 year old house at this point and not a new build at all.

Because that is 100% 'get anyone who has a screwdriver to put the sockets in quick' from before it was mandated a proper sparky had to do everything. I think that law came in around 2005 about notifiable work under section P???, but i'm probably wrong on that one. Before then any monkey could do it and actually connecting sockets properly is trickier than some thing, hence why they always come loose.

Part P. Its still pretty common on big sites to see a big pool of 'electrical labourers' banging in ring finals with a spark signing off on it all. Theres no way they're checking the terminations on every socket and so you end up with stuff like this. In theory a crap jnstall should be picked up during the testing & inspection for commissioning, but even that is pretty flexible with what can be passed as acceptable, for example Global IR at the main DB needs to be as high as possible, which is ideally overlimit (<999MΩ, or however high your test instrument goes) but anything above 1MΩ can theoretically pass.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Yeeeeeep. That sounds about right house was built 18 years ago. At least the pcb did its job...

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kecske posted:

Part P. Its still pretty common on big sites to see a big pool of 'electrical labourers' banging in ring finals with a spark signing off on it all. Theres no way they're checking the terminations on every socket and so you end up with stuff like this. In theory a crap jnstall should be picked up during the testing & inspection for commissioning, but even that is pretty flexible with what can be passed as acceptable, for example Global IR at the main DB needs to be as high as possible, which is ideally overlimit (<999MΩ, or however high your test instrument goes) but anything above 1MΩ can theoretically pass.

Yeah I'd consider myself fairly knowledgeable and able to do the majority of work but I still get my friend whos qualified in to do anything involving the board and to sign off on the work I did in the lounge, even though technically it was not notifiable since it was not a new circuit and was simply moving things around.

A fun experiment is to get 10 sparkies in a room and get them all to agree on what is and isn't notifiable work. The legislation is so full of loopholes and 'common sense' clauses that its quite funny really.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also UK wiring seems to be specifically set up so that people can do poo poo that will work and even fool a basic socket tester but is still very dangerous.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So it seems UK wiring regs::US building regs.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the best part is that BS7671 isn't a statutory document in its own right, but is always used as the go-to reference to prosecute you if you gently caress up (or likewise defend yourself)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kecske posted:

the best part is that BS7671 isn't a statutory document in its own right, but is always used as the go-to reference to prosecute you if you gently caress up (or likewise defend yourself)

I believe if all the work was done before BS7671 you're golden, however any work afterwards has to be up to that standard. Technically so much as changing a plug socket means you should be following BS7671 but good luck getting the average DIY'er to follow that.

Then the argument would be, if you're following BS7671 you'd logically determine the rest of the wiring isn't up to standard and thus wouldn't pass, so it would need to be re-wired.

But again, i'm just a bit of an idiot who has probably got this all wrong.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

BS7671 is just the British Standard code number for the Wiring Regs. it was first published in 1882, with new editions coming every so often and amendments more frequently in between (we're up to 18th ed. now). You're right in that things only need to meet and be maintained to the standard of the edition they were installed under

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kecske posted:

it was first published in 1882, with new editions coming every so often and amendments more frequently in between (we're up to 18th ed. now). You're right in that things only need to meet and be maintained to the standard of the edition they were installed under

With 18th edition mandating that the consumer unit now needs to be metal and cant be plastic, would anyone installing a new circuit on an existing board (IE new Oven circuit etc) have to replace the consumer unit? As the new wiring would be to 18th edition, but the consumer unit would fall under 17th?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

a plastic CU is fine and is still compliant as long as its in good condition and you have usable spare ways to add circuits to.

e: as an aside, all the trades suffer from a lot of misinformation that spreads around in the form of 'i had a mate who said XYZ'. Its very frustrating watching organisations like the NICEIC spend their time chasing people for not paying their license fees and do nothing to address the spread of pound note sparks telling old Mrs Goggins that her cupboard CU needs replacing entirely because its plastic.

kecske fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 7, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of which, plastic pound notes should have been a thing when we discovered all the fake pound coins in the middle of poly note introduction.

Bet we could have stopped brexit if we'd done blue passports and new pound notes in 2016.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I don't think we have a reward scheme - occasionally you get amazon vouchers. I got £25 (and about a weeks' worth of overtime for saving our exchange server last year).

This year for Christmas IT voted that we each get to expense £15 for a personal Christmas meal, and £5 will go to charity (there'll be a raffle and the winner will decide the charity. If it's me I'm going split it between The Frog Life trust and a local charity teaching farm/food bank)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Regarde Aduck posted:

I am so loving bored of the new cold war already. And there's like 50 more years of it. gently caress.

There's only 50 more years of it if it doesn't get exciting.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

kecske posted:

a plastic CU is fine and is still compliant as long as its in good condition and you have usable spare ways to add circuits to.

e: as an aside, all the trades suffer from a lot of misinformation that spreads around in the form of 'i had a mate who said XYZ'. Its very frustrating watching organisations like the NICEIC spend their time chasing people for not paying their license fees and do nothing to address the spread of pound note sparks telling old Mrs Goggins that her cupboard CU needs replacing entirely because its plastic.

Cheers, and this is what I mean by 'I don't really know what i'm talking about'. I can read the regulations as to what is notifiable and what isn't but I still don't really know for sure. I know enough to be dangerous according to the wife.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

No, Savage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

At the very least we can agree that we will find out Within Six Months.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It feels like it has been the last day of Brexit negotiations for one and a half years now.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

It feels like it has been the last day of Brexit negotiations for one and a half years now.

Now I'm imagining a Black Mirror where the main character (the UK's Chief Brexit Negotiator) is stuck in a time loop where they repeat the last day of negotiations infinitely and can only escape if they finalise a deal :v:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

There's this brexit shaped void in my mind that my thoughts slide around

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Convex posted:

Now I'm imagining a Black Mirror where the main character (the UK's Chief Brexit Negotiator) is stuck in a time loop where they repeat the last day of negotiations infinitely and can only escape if they finalise a deal :v:

"How many years have I been stuck in this loop?! Oh, it's still the first iteration. :smith:"
It's a psychological horror thriller where the whole movie focusses on the final day and maybe the upcoming days. In the final moments before the credits roll, the MC notices the loop.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 7, 2020

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Convex posted:

Groundhog Day is more apt, surely.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of which, plastic pound notes should have been a thing when we discovered all the fake pound coins in the middle of poly note introduction.

Bet we could have stopped brexit if we'd done blue passports and new pound notes in 2016.

We should have just chosen a better alloy for the coin so pot metal can't fool the majority of users (and automated coin counters).

Also refiguring everything from vending machines to till drawers to go back to pound notes (and also printing all those notes, bearing in mind they don't last anywhere near as long as coins) would definitely have cost the economy more than even the most hysterical figures for the amount of forged old pound coins.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

Groundhog Day is more apt, surely.

Groundhog Day has growth and redemption, Brexit not so much.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also refiguring everything from vending machines to till drawers to go back to pound notes (and also printing all those notes, bearing in mind they don't last anywhere near as long as coins) would definitely have cost the economy more than even the most hysterical figures for the amount of forged old pound coins.
I thought the big selling point of poly notes is that they do last long enough to be worth what they're made of, and anyone who wasn't the most identitarian mech-eng was already itching for a reason to make vending and ticket machines scan notes?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Since this thread is knowledgeable about everything, I was wondering where's a good place to look for reasonably-current scientific literature on hearing rehabilitation following cochlear implant surgery? It looks like mine is going ahead and I want to know my poo poo.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Guavanaut posted:

I thought the big selling point of poly notes is that they do last long enough to be worth what they're made of, and anyone who wasn't the most identitarian mech-eng was already itching for a reason to make vending and ticket machines scan notes?

pretty much. still not as long lasting as coins but very durable. canada switched over some years ago.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

all vending machines are already reconfigured to use contactless card payments.
coins vs notes is moot.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Cerv posted:

coins vs notes is moot.

I wish my local laundrette was! It's taking me months to get together enough £1 coins (10) and 50p (10) pieces to be able to take my duvet down to their large capacity machine for its annual - and somewhat overdue - cook in the washer. (And obviously I need more coins of each type than strictly necessary because any fule kno quite often machines reject coins for reasons known only to themselves).

(Laundrette has been either closed or unstaffed since March - it's the only laundrette in town and it's a family run business so they are being VERY cautious of covid.)

It would be cheaper just to buy a new duvet.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

The thing I've learned about whiskey (from having been given a glass a few times by friends who are whiskey-heads) is that I only like the really expensive stuff, at the £100+ per bottle end.

Therefore I do not drink whiskey, because gently caress paying that much. Rum is cheaper and nicer.

Cognac is nice, but from my very limited experience of trying cognacs, I think that the slightly cheaper stuff is actually nicer than the really long-aged stuff.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I forgot to take any change with me when I drove into town a couple of weeks ago.
I'd been told "Oh, it's okay, you can pay by card."

You can not, in fact, pay by card. You can register with some shitbox website and pay via an app, but despite there being readers on the machines that are otherwise the only use for coins these days, there's nothing doing.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Cerv posted:

coins vs notes is moot.
I know someone who spent lockdown 1 in a(n outsourced private) psych hospital. The vending machines there only take pound coins. They are also literally the only "luxury" with everyone shut in their rooms most of the day. Pound coins turn out to be pretty hard to get when nobody is allowed outsife, and the staff just don't give a gently caress.

I know it's just the odd can of pop/pack of crisps/sweets, but it was loving inhumane imo

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/MRSM1TH888/status/1336213046151286784

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Stop talking about whiskey and start talking about Camrath’s chilli chocolate fudge.

I can’t feel my lips.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Is this a syringe which I see before me, its needle toward my arm?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Once more into the arm dear friends, once more,
Or clog the morgues up with our English dead.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

To cough, perchance to sneeze – there's the rub, for in this covid death what dreams may come (of brexit)

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

"Is this a dagger I see before me?"
"I mean it's sharp, I'll give you that"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Leave, Labour’s Lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

"Lay on Nurse Macduff.
And damned be he that first cries "Vax! Enough!"