Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Ashenai posted:

Yeah although I usually just hold E to kill animals unless they're directly in my path.

His hold E is just luxurious for exploration stuff. Mines ores, kills animals, I once blew up one of those secret chest rock piles with it by accident. Really nice range on that thing.

Yeah, his E is fantastic for mining and hunting.

About the only time I wouldn't use it is for farming massed fowl like the group in front of Timmy. For that you want to use something like the tornado from an anemo traveler to get them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Ashenai posted:

Yeah although I usually just hold E to kill animals unless they're directly in my path.

His hold E is just luxurious for exploration stuff. Mines ores, kills animals, I once blew up one of those secret chest rock piles with it by accident. Really nice range on that thing.

Yeah he's so fun for exploration which is probably my favorite part of the game anyhow.

And he looks so good doing it. :cool:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Yeah he's so fun for exploration which is probably my favorite part of the game anyhow.

And he looks so good doing it. :cool:

Which brings up another issue. Zhongli got released during a time when a lot of people have already completed most of the exploration content in the game. His Geodong would have been much better received had people been able to use it as much as people did with Venti.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Commoners posted:

Turns out that if you knock a target upward and then hit them with Zhong's E they'll go launching into the air and take some fall damage. Not enough to make it a technique worth perfecting, but it was a good laugh seeing a hilichurl mage pop into the air like a pinball and then bellyflop to his death.

That hilichurl had a family. A buddy he would watch the stars with. A bed he had spent years perfecting.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

gandlethorpe posted:

Which brings up another issue. Zhongli got released during a time when a lot of people have already completed most of the exploration content in the game. His Geodong would have been much better received had people been able to use it as much as people did with Venti.

I guess in the very beginning of the game, but MC Geo can already do that with the meteors, and you can place multiple meteors unlike c0 Zhongli.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
good old geo mc. I smash-clicked through the tutorial explanation bit about swapping MC element, never got around to doing it, and so didnt realize that there were these great big things you could slam down to solve pressure-plate puzzles.

did you know that if you try quite hard you can use amber's e for most of those? it's true! but I wouldn't recommend it.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Mihoyo please, why am I being punished?

Tae posted:

I guess in the very beginning of the game, but MC Geo can already do that with the meteors, and you can place multiple meteors unlike c0 Zhongli.

I know, and a lot of people used Venti instead. Zhongli's gives about the same height as Venti's, can do the pressure plates, and he has the top tier mining powers. My point is that Zhongli would've benefited from a lot of love for his exploration perks like Venti did.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i wish the ice spear girl wasn't likely to be on albedo's banner because im pretty close to pity already and i think im gonna pass on him

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Bussamove posted:

The argument of Zhong needing other characters to do well being evidence he’s trash is also stupid because that is literally how the game loving works. Is he underpowered right now? Yeah it kinda seems like it. Is this some malicious scheme by Mihoyo to force people to whale because the community creepily latched on to him? No because they made 400 million dollars before he was even a twinkle in the banner’s eye.

I think reasonable people aren't concerned that he needs other characters to do well, but that the next character that seems to be intended for use with him is a 5*. Before he was released, people were super excited about the possibility of him meshing well with Ningguang. Everyone was 100% on board with that, partly due to the flavor angle of it but also because Ningguang was a decent 4* character lots of folks had already invested in. If Zhongli was great with her but a "meh" character without her, I highly doubt there would have been such an uproar in the first place. People were on board for that. But he's mediocre as is, and the next Geo character on the horizon is also a 5*. A 5* character that needs other 5* characters to work well isn't great. That's a lot of opportunity cost for people who are interested in other upcoming 5* characters.

It'd be one thing if Albedo showed up a few banners later—if there was time for players to plan their primogem spending out and time for miHoYo to potentially add in another Geo 4* that works well with Zhongli (or tweak his kit in the meantime), people probably wouldn't be as worried. Unfortunately, Albedo seems to be to be part of the very next banner (unless they shuffle things around in a hurry). I don't think this is down to any conspiracy theory squeeze-everyone-for-money plot, though; it's probably just poor planning. Making a hyped-up character terrible deliberately and then immediately releasing a rare, whale-able character that helps them function better is way too costly in terms of goodwill. It's the action of a company wringing out that last bit of money before they shut down the game entirely, which doesn't match up with what we've seen of miHoYo's investment in GI.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

gandlethorpe posted:

Mihoyo please, why am I being punished?

This is your karmic retribution for all those sick DPS clips.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Radical posted:

i wish the ice spear girl wasn't likely to be on albedo's banner because im pretty close to pity already and i think im gonna pass on him

Rosaria is coming in this December's banner? thought it was Ganyu time

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I just hope Hu Tao ends up being a good fire support, getting real tired of Gouba's poo poo

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

honestly i half expect Albedo could be a new addition to the standard character pool but who knows. they can still feature him on an "event" banner so long as the wording is clear about his availability just like they have with Diona/Xinyan. at the very least making a limited/standard pair is less harsh than if they were both limited, but going aaallll the way back a few pages i just don't see much making them great partners for each other in the first place.

i'd just like Mihoyo to stop baiting me with good designs/VAs, let alone putting those on characters who have lore relationships to others that are already my faves...at least Hu Tao is a likely 4*

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

frajaq posted:

shes a 4 star, ganyu is a 5 star

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

King of Bleh posted:

This is your karmic retribution for all those sick DPS clips.

My ego will accept this as consolation, at least until the next time I log in.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

frajaq posted:

according to the leakers it's Albedo/Rosaria this month and Ganyu/Hu Tao next month

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just assume within a year or two we'll look at this discussion and just laugh, our parties filled with hundreds (wanted to write dozens, but we're already there, tbh) of possible usable combinations and synergies that metagamers 95 % don't care about anyway.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'll have 500 pulls saved for Ayaka by then!

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Venti and Klee put the bar too high for banner 5 stars.
By the way, are there going to be more 5 star characters added to the non-banner pool?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I really hope Kaeya is on the next banner because I feel like everyone is sleeping on him for some reason. Give me a Kaeya+Bennet banner Mihoyo.

Ashenai posted:

Zhongli's attack is actually about equal with Xiangling's if you properly hop-cancel out of his spinny spear kick, and he probably ends up doing slightly better physical DPS overall because you never do his combo-ending thrust, which means he doesn't end up pushing enemies away and then have to waste time running after them.

I didn't catch the very end of Jinx's testing but ZL was slightly ahead of XL in physical if you canceled the spear kick.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ This is a crime, because the spear kick looks really cool.

(More broadly I feel like this sort of stuff isn't very useful information, because in practice stuff never really works out the way it does when you're testing in that way. Like it's very difficult to quantify how useful shields are, since in practice players are fallible and a character dying when they wouldn't otherwise die can translate to a massive DPS difference. I think a lot of "theory-crafting" is done around the assumption that people are playing optimally.

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

I just assume within a year or two we'll look at this discussion and just laugh, our parties filled with hundreds (wanted to write dozens, but we're already there, tbh) of possible usable combinations and synergies that metagamers 95 % don't care about anyway.

I feel like a lot of the discussion is similar to early FGO discussion where people cared about things like XP growth curves, because by that point it wasn't yet easily possible to acquire the materials to ascend people. After going through like 10 more events with loot equivalent to the recent meteorite one, things will be a lot more viable.

For example, I was listening to one of the Youtube videos about Zhongli, and the person making the video was saying that they don't think it's fair to assume F2P players will have a character at level 90 with strong artifacts (when evaluating him and explaining why they disagreed with another video that was more favorable towards him). And while that may be true right now (when it's basically impossible to be AR50 as F2P unless you've played intensely since the moment of release), it won't be true in the longer run.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 8, 2020

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
We’re the leaks wrong when Childe was about to release? Thought everyone was expecting Zhong Li first then but maybe that was only wishful thinking.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Mailer posted:

I really hope Kaeya is on the next banner because I feel like everyone is sleeping on him for some reason. Give me a Kaeya+Bennet banner Mihoyo.

I didn't catch the very end of Jinx's testing but ZL was slightly ahead of XL in physical if you canceled the spear kick.

I am lookin forward to 70% crit rate C2 Kaeya

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Mailer posted:

c2 kaeya's q looks legit for purple-shield-dudes - does it end up working okay?
e: i dont wanna spend resin getting him up past insta-gib levels if it's not gonna pay off

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
I'm pretty sure since I've invested in Chongyun as my second carry that I won't get his C1 now. But it's nice to be able to give him Diluc's Gladiator artifacts in the future... even if I still need to farm a proper Witch set!

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ This is a crime, because the spear kick looks really cool.

The hop-cancel means you actually do the spear kick, you just do a hop right after you send the spear spinning. The spear finishes its spinny attacks anyway, while you're free to start a new combo.

It's a pretty easy technique, easier to do than to explain.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mailer posted:

i need to stop farming artifacts long enough to get mine 60/70, but just bumping him to C2 from this month's shop has been a huge improvement. despite its wording, anything killed during the burst increases its duration, so you could in theory have nearly 100% uptime, only limited by your energy generation/time spent swapping. Razor/XQ/Kaeya is a reaction monster setup and makes me enjoy using Razor again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mang Tomas posted:

We’re the leaks wrong when Childe was about to release? Thought everyone was expecting Zhong Li first then but maybe that was only wishful thinking.

About a week before 1.1, we got a leak with childe and Zhong in that order, along with the exact 4 stars that were for each banner.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Mang Tomas posted:

The leaks were right in that case but these leaks all come from different sources. The exact banner contents for those leaks was an odd datamine and that probably won't be repeatable.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Clearly, the only way to resolve this once and for all is to give the 3000 IQ Geo MC player a research grant to investigate Zhongli's power. Perhaps we are simply not using 100% of our brains

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just want a less painful/tedious way to level artifacts..Please Mihoyo...I already have 4 characters kitted out in 20s and a few 16s and trying to do the same for any other character I'm leveling is pure pain.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

awesmoe posted:

c2 kaeya's q looks legit for purple-shield-dudes - does it end up working okay?
e: i dont wanna spend resin getting him up past insta-gib levels if it's not gonna pay off

I have no idea on C2, but I'd love to have the banner to get it. Even at C0 he applies cryo the fastest (well, aside from Chongus who has his own issues) and in a straightforward way. His constellations make him even better, but as is he's on my Diluc team just for being able to freeze on command. He fills the XQ ult gap with Melt procs, which can turn into Freeze procs for cases where I need that.

I still wouldn't push him past the usual level 60/70 support tier, but if you need a hit of cryo he provides it instantly and with no funky activation.

Edit: He's obviously great for Razor or XL carries, but those are pretty obvious.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 8, 2020

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
I pray this leak is true at least for all Chong and especially Kaeya fans

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

gandlethorpe posted:

Diona gets shield sharing at C2. But yeah, it's not baseline on anyone.

Also, Zhongli can shield his team. With all the crystals he creates while eating up their reactions :v:

Geo is so trash right now

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Ashenai posted:

The hop-cancel means you actually do the spear kick, you just do a hop right after you send the spear spinning. The spear finishes its spinny attacks anyway, while you're free to start a new combo.

It's a pretty easy technique, easier to do than to explain.
You can actually hop cancel a few frames before the spear even comes out, meaning Zhongli basically jumps and a spinning spear just randomly materializes in front of him. It's funny but I could only pull it off about one time in five so it appears to be a near frame-perfect thing to get the cancel in before you see him kick the spear.

Ytlaya posted:

For example, I was listening to one of the Youtube videos about Zhongli, and the person making the video was saying that they don't think it's fair to assume F2P players will have a character at level 90 with strong artifacts (when evaluating him and explaining why they disagreed with another video that was more favorable towards him). And while that may be true right now (when it's basically impossible to be AR50 as F2P unless you've played intensely since the moment of release), it won't be true in the longer run.
Yeah, but all we have at the moment is the present state of things, and we don't know when people will finally reach that point where they can start accumulating resources. It's gonna be a while even for whales, unless the pace of resources picks up which is something we can't predict. And the banner is up now, when F2P resources and gem income are poor; in the longer run there might be better characters, or more generous currency to roll for things, or both.

Plus there will always be new F2P players, so the likelihood of resource accumulation doesn't apply to every F2P and new players will always have decisions to make; however, we don't know how generous the game will get over time so the resources available to a 1 month F2P in a year and a half are a complete question mark, though they will have more immediately-accessible chest income on account of there being more regions with chests to find. Characters who are good with reasonably low investment are good right now and will remain good later unless certain characters who are good with high investment scale better. Thing is, some of the characters who scale really well with more investment are already top-tier characters like Venti and Diluc who also do really well at low investment. I think a character who scales extremely well with high-end investment most players lack is observable fairly quickly; people pegged Tartaglia as like that, and it's probably true. I'm not sure how much Zhongli ramps up over time, outside of super well-rolled artifacts that allow him to stack HP% without compromising on Crit stats so he can turbocrit with his giant space rock.

People may regret not getting him eventually. I don't think we can know that. We do know that people regret not getting Venti, but everybody knew Venti was good. There's still two weeks left to discover something gamebreaking about Zhongli before he disappears though.

Amuys posted:

Xingqiu/Kaeya permafreeze team with Aquila Favonia and maybe Fischl for Superconduct would be mighty funny if this is real. Also weird to contemplate but I could see this set actually being usable on physical Keqing, odd as that sounds? It'd basically let her itemize almost entirely out of Crit Rate and into Crit Damage. Not sure it'd be worth it or anything, just funny.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 8, 2020

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I just want a less painful/tedious way to level artifacts..Please Mihoyo...I already have 4 characters kitted out in 20s and a few 16s and trying to do the same for any other character I'm leveling is pure pain.

Agreed. I have maybe 5 sets of lvl 20 5* gear to pass around meanwhile I just hit lvl 80 with Zhongli my 9th lvl 80. A new character to max level is hell of a lot easier than making a few new 20s. I'm AR 50 and 90% of resin is spent in gear dungeons.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Amuys posted:

I already have 60% CRIT Rate (75% with Diona), so I hope it's something else or there's another set.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

gandlethorpe posted:

I already have 60% CRIT Rate (75% with Diona), so I hope it's something else or there's another set.
I don't think that's a bad thing, because getting tons of CR% from other sources means being able to itemize for CD% or EM or something else. And it puts 100% Crit builds well in Kaeya's range without needing to give up a ton of other stats.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nakar posted:

You can actually hop cancel a few frames before the spear even comes out, meaning Zhongli basically jumps and a spinning spear just randomly materializes in front of him. It's funny but I could only pull it off about one time in five so it appears to be a near frame-perfect thing to get the cancel in before you see him kick the spear.

Yeah, but all we have at the moment is the present state of things, and we don't know when people will finally reach that point where they can start accumulating resources. It's gonna be a while even for whales, unless the pace of resources picks up which is something we can't predict. And the banner is up now, when F2P resources and gem income are poor; in the longer run there might be better characters, or more generous currency to roll for things, or both.

When talking about how good a character is it makes sense to consider their reasonable "end state," though. With that in mind, it makes sense to assume stuff like "max level" or "good farmable gear," but not (for example) constellations or 5* weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I hope they significantly buff Geo after his banner so all the haters' salt can give me life.

Nakar posted:

I don't think that's a bad thing, because getting tons of CR% from other sources means being able to itemize for CD% or EM or something else. And it puts 100% Crit builds well in Kaeya's range without needing to give up a ton of other stats.

I mean, yeah, I could roll new artifacts so I don't go over 100%, but I don't wannaaaa.