Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ford power steering pump whine will always put a smile on my face because it reminds me of my dad's old seventh gen F-150 and my grandpa's old Crown Vic.
Never got to experience the Ford version, but 70s & 80s GM deffo had a major pump whine when you got near the end of travel. I always though my dad's station wagon was going to blow up when he had to back it into our garage lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The end of travel screech is fluid flowing over the relief valve, kind of a different thing from the Ford pump which kind of inherently just whines because of how it's designed.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Would you rather run from the cops in crocs or barefoot?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

This is why you don't put additives in a transmission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rxU4bJPE-g

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That video is fascinating.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

LifeSunDeath posted:

Ford: hold my beer

The V8 in the 3rd gen SHO had spinning sprockets. All of them will do it. They organized and tried to sue Ford with such a blatant defect. Ford won. Real fix is to weld the sprockets before they fail.

The Ford solution (even though they offer one where they say there really isn't a defect) is to use green Loctite.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Colostomy Bag posted:

green Loctite.

Goddamn. Watching this car youtube and the guy buys a new range rover and over the first month has it in the dealership for multiple issues to the point that they have to give him a totally new car (they offered to fully replace the engine on his new car lol). Then he's got the new one but it was supposed to come with the winch option, so they say they can install one, well the cut the wires on the winch somehow, order a new one takes weeks, they go to install it, end up cutting the frame of the car somehow, it cannot be fixed by them, so they say hey how about we get you into yet another new Range Rover! It's incredible how bad some of these car companies are at not having a hosed up product and/or hosed up ability too fix it.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 5, 2020

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You mean the TFL videos on their Defender?

First one made it 160 miles before developing a terminal engine fault.

Second one didn't leave the dealership, the workshop guy cut through an apparently unobtanium wiring loom while trying to fit a winch.

The third one seems ok, but still flashed up a suspension fault the first time they turned it on.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Elviscat posted:

That video is fascinating.

I've watched a bunch of videos on that guy's channel from beginning to end. Working on automatic transmissions really is voodoo to do it right, he gets so many that have been completely hosed up by other shops and he points out every way someone else screwed it up. Lots of shoddy work out there and "techs" that don't know what the gently caress they're doing and/or don't care.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wontondestruction posted:

So sensitive up in here, Christ. AVE rules

Ave got pretty boring when he stopped tearing down tools and leaned into his CnC stuff.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BurgerQuest posted:

Ave got pretty boring when he stopped tearing down tools and leaned into his CnC stuff.

For real, I followed him because I was seeing all the teardowns and him talking about the shortcuts whatever company used when making the tool. It was interesting and he seemed to know some of what he was talking about. Then he went off the deep end into dumb stuff I didn't care about.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

Goddamn. Watching this car youtube and the guy buys a new range rover and over the first month has it in the dealership for multiple issues to the point that they have to give him a totally new car (they offered to fully replace the engine on his new car lol). Then he's got the new one but it was supposed to come with the wench option, so they say they can install one, well the cut the wires on the wench somehow, order a new one takes weeks, they go to install it, end up cutting the frame of the car somehow, it cannot be fixed by them, so they say hey how about we get you into yet another new Range Rover! It's incredible how bad some of these car companies are at not having a hosed up product and/or hosed up ability too fix it.

Gotta be honest I'd buy a range rover if it came with a wench.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

LOL, winch sorry

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
You guys should hear about how the mzr timing gears are held in place.

It's just from the bolt being tightened.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

BurgerQuest posted:

Some of the cnc stuff is ok, it reinforces that it's actually harder than just model part > hit button > job jobbed. I like his videos where he's taking apart or loving around with poo poo I'll never take apart or own, and I don't bother with ones on his opinion on anything because I don't care about his opinions.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/CrazyinRussia/status/133150726171859763487

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
That's not a russian tank though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This is why you don't put additives in a transmission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rxU4bJPE-g

:ohdear:

I kinda have Lucas Transmission Fix in mine. It definitely firmed up the shifts (which were sloppy as gently caress - it still slips briefly when put in a forward gear until given a bit of gas), but I was thinking it's more because it's so drat thick. It took 15 minutes to get a quart of it in.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

STR posted:

:ohdear:

I kinda have Lucas Transmission Fix in mine. It definitely firmed up the shifts (which were sloppy as gently caress - it still slips briefly when put in a forward gear until given a bit of gas), but I was thinking it's more because it's so drat thick. It took 15 minutes to get a quart of it in.

That's a known failure on the 99 through 01 subaru transmissions. Sell it ASAP.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It's an 03. It got significantly better after new fluid + filter + Lucas, to the point that it only does it on the first drive of the day now. I've had it a bit over a year.

If it does die, :shrug: $1800 Subaru with working AC/heat/heated seats.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah guess it's not big deal on a car like that that's on it's way out anyway, might as well put some zipties on it (in this case additive) to get some more miles out of it before it goes to scrap.

If you plan on keeping a car or truck tho, it looks like transmission additives are not the answer even as a temporary fix, it will just make the repair even more expensive.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

After we overheated the transmission and blew all the ATF out of it by hauling a ton of bricks in a ZJ, my buddy and I filled his transmission with Lucas stop-leak.

Kept that sucker running for another couple years.

The free ZJ owned by a teenager wasn't getting its tranny rebuilt ever though.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

If you plan on keeping a car or truck tho, it looks like transmission additives are not the answer even as a temporary fix, it will just make the repair even more expensive.

In the video, he mentions that there’s a right way to use seal-swelling additives: put them in, let them run for a few hundred miles, and then flush the fluid, to get the additive out. The seals swell and soften a bit but don’t get to the ridiculous extreme he’s showing off in that video.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
The only transmission additive that's worth fooling with is Lubegard. Goofy name, but great product. Supposed to be at least partly a synthetic substitute for the sort of compounds found in sperm whale oil - which was used in automatic transmission fluids up until hunting whales was outlawed.

https://www.lubegard.com/products/red/

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Space Gopher posted:

In the video, he mentions that there’s a right way to use seal-swelling additives: put them in, let them run for a few hundred miles, and then flush the fluid, to get the additive out. The seals swell and soften a bit but don’t get to the ridiculous extreme he’s showing off in that video.

That's not what it says to do on the additive bottles tho does it? Who else is going to know that?

Like I said if you have a vehicle you like and actually want to keep just get the drat thing fixed and don't use additives.

I had to get rid of a Miata because the PO doused it with coolant stop leak a hundred loving times rather than just getting the drat leak fixed. poo poo was caked like sludge through the entire cooling system and was a loving mess.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That's seriously the equivalent of an old aged pensioner confusing the brake pedal with the accelerator pedal

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment

You Am I posted:

That's seriously the equivalent of an old aged pensioner confusing the brake pedal with the accelerator pedal

Milsurp Taycan

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

honda whisperer posted:

Then it would just be twice the trouble.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah guess it's not big deal on a car like that that's on it's way out anyway, might as well put some zipties on it (in this case additive) to get some more miles out of it before it goes to scrap.

TBH I only expected this car to last a year or so. I bought it last October, so as far as I'm concerned, I'm doing good. It's rough enough overall that when the transmission does go, it's getting scrapped. Until then it's getting the absolute bare minimum in maintenance (oil changes once or twice a year, keeping fluids topped off, etc).

It starts shifting pretty sloppy when the transmission is good and hot (hot days + beating on it), but aside from the occasional flare when upshifting, and being a bit sluggish to catch drive/reverse when it's cold, it's driving fine. CEL is on, but on an older Subaru you should just treat that as the "ignition switch is on" light. (P0420 smoke trees every day).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ausgezeichnet posted:

Then it would just be twice the trouble.

It would be the wrong wrench, it would give you tetanus and somehow leak oil.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/701265871317762110/785558871858872410/DASH_360_1.mp4

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Lucas transeal has two uses in the world: drowning a failing transmission in it so it shifts right just before you offload the vehicle on some poor dumb fucker who doesnt know any better (for reference, I was the dumb fucker, not the lying rear end in a top hat in the transaction) and neat in a power steering pump to keep from replacing a leaking rack & pinion.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

What happened here? I thought that was just an oil collection drum.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm going to go with it was totally full (including up the pipe) and the sudden displacement of the pipe into the drum along with anything that was backed up into the pipe made it shoot up.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm going to go with it was totally full (including up the pipe) and the sudden displacement of the pipe into the drum along with anything that was backed up into the pipe made it shoot up.

So would you say the can was "hurtin' for a squirtin'?"

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That reminds me of the time I went to change the oil on our Lexus for the first time not realizing it holds 9 loving QUARTS of oil.

The drain plug was on the side of the pan, so once the plug came out all the pressure of 9 FUCKIN QUARTS of oil sent a horizontal stream of oil shooting right over the drain pan and onto the driveway. And then also overflowed the container I had that already had 4 quarts in it.

Went through a lot of kitty litter that day :v:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

bull3964 posted:

The pipe does not seal that tight, but that was way more volume that would be displaced by the tube going into the can.
At the end, it looks like he is closing a valve or removing an air line or something.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
IIRC they have an airline connection that pressurises the barrel so you get oil flowing out a dump pipe to your main waste oil tank, that's how you empty it when full.

I think while investigating air going out the intake, he dropped the intake tube so the bottom of it was below the level of the oil remaining in the pressurised barrel, thus creating an easy escape path for it to jizz everywhere.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
All the ones i've used had a big ball valve on the top of the tank so you raise the drain pan up above the valve, close it, and then apply shop air to push oil out the drain tube. Looks like maybe that ones doesn't have a valve so he needs to raise the pan way up and then be really gentle with air pressure to keep oil from spraying out the top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

where I worked, our shop had an air powered diaphragm pump, that you hooked up to the bottom, which sucked all the old oil out into the disposal tank. no pressurization nonsense needed.

which is good, because I'm not sure some of the people I worked with could have handled a complex procedure like "close this valve before you pressurize".