Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The homemade stuff isn’t terrible but if you’re an aficionado you really owe it to yourself to go to a natural hot mayonnaise spring and try some fresh from the source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

#satisfying doesn't apply to either this video or the usual method of producing that sound

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Fartington Butts posted:

#satisfying doesn't apply to either this video or the usual method of producing that sound

There's another way? That changes everything!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sounds like someone having diarrhea while rematerializing in the Star Trek transporter

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ror posted:

The homemade stuff isn’t terrible but if you’re an aficionado you really owe it to yourself to go to a natural hot mayonnaise spring and try some fresh from the source.

it's a cliché that the mayonnaise tastes better in Ireland

but, well

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

This ad just showed up on my Facebook.

https://www.kickerscrickets.com/

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I thought the cricket flour stuff from shark tank was gross enough, but there's no way that's going to take off. I don't care how much sugar and artificial flavor you put on the bug, it's still a bug and basically nobody would ever choose to buy a tube of bug over like, a potato chip.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I thought the cricket flour stuff from shark tank was gross enough, but there's no way that's going to take off. I don't care how much sugar and artificial flavor you put on the bug, it's still a bug and basically nobody would ever choose to buy a tube of bug over like, a potato chip.

Seems about even with shrimp tho. Shrimp come with their eyes and legs and stuff still on, right? There's nothing inherently wrong with cricket protein, but for mainstream success they'd probably do better pulverising it so you don't see the little head and legs. The essence of pre-packaged snack food is that you don't think about what you are eating.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Facebook Aunt posted:

Seems about even with shrimp tho. Shrimp come with their eyes and legs and stuff still on, right? There's nothing inherently wrong with cricket protein, but for mainstream success they'd probably do better pulverising it so you don't see the little head and legs. The essence of pre-packaged snack food is that you don't think about what you are eating.

I'd probably eat the cricket stuff if they didn't tell me it was cricket stuff. Shrimp is good because you take all the gross bits off before cooking it (usually) and it is made of meat, instead of like...bug juice or whatever fills a bug shell.

e: I have forgotten so much from the graduate level entomology class I took in college, but to be fair they never covered humans eating bugs, only bugs eating things. But I'm pretty sure the technical term is bug juice.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Dec 8, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sea bugs have larger deposits of protein and don't ask that you to eat the whole thing complete with exoskeleton and all the bug organs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Crickets taste fine once you get over it.

Especially if you actually are familiar with dealing with full shrimp and crabs and stuff instead of just eating it after someone else has done the dirty work.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I thought those were weed crickets at first and read over the label and description multiple times. They're really packaged like the other kind of edibles.

Edit: Jesus. 21 flavors? Impressive.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

You're at a dinner party, everyone is eating live crickets, you're a gecko.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Brawnfire posted:

I can feel my soul as it maple leaves my body

god this is so my #fallmood

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Tread carefully, insects tend to be allergenic.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Chapulines are delicious :colbert:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My limited experience with government cheese was that it was basically loaves of Velveeta in more plain packaging. It was fine. Would've been early to mid 1980s on the East coast, so I'm not sure if there are regional differences.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/event_checker/status/1336111724710150144

As for what it looks like when not photographed for marketing purposes:

https://twitter.com/izunkomouse/status/1336191289465847808

Also I'm sad i missed the cheese derail, but I stand by cheez product being perfectly appreciated on burgs :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4J1seTHAMU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

*out of a total 200 crickets per tube

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Facebook Aunt posted:

Shrimp and bugs look nothing alike, feel nothing alike, you don't eat them with the gross bits attached, and when you peel a bug you don't get a neat chunk of nice pink meat.

Eating bugs makes no sense anyway, even as a protein alternative it's easier to eat some legumes.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Even in promo shots it doesn't look that good to me, to be honest.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My limited experience with government cheese was that it was basically loaves of Velveeta in more plain packaging. It was fine. Would've been early to mid 1980s on the East coast, so I'm not sure if there are regional differences.

That would have made it about 1968 in Arizona. drat time zones

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

the rainbow goop is cheese, :barf:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
*desperately backflipping away from crickets* but we only eat the muscle meats of sea bugs!
*chef throws fried softshell crab like shurikens* you cannot escape

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

crab and lobster are gross too hth

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KataraniSword posted:

I've heard lobster is good, but I've only ever had it when my parents cooked it, and it had the texture of a yoga mat.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Insects are actually pretty much entirely protein, almost no fats or carbs. They’re not comparable to legumes. We’d be way better off environmentally if westerners ate them, if not whole then ground into sandwich patties and tendies.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Insects are actually pretty much entirely protein, almost no fats or carbs. They’re not comparable to legumes. We’d be way better off environmentally if westerners ate them, if not whole then ground into sandwich patties and tendies.

Cricket Tendies :yum:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Paladinus posted:

Even in promo shots it doesn't look that good to me, to be honest.

Savory rainbow food disgusts me. Even if it's just food coloring, it's weird. No problem with it in sugary confections, probably because I'm implicitly consuming non-nutritious things if I'm having a red velvet cronut or some poo poo

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Miso-curry ramen with rainbow cheese, developed to bring a little cheer to our gray corona lives. :kiddo: I appreciate the sentiment/effort, but yeah, I'm not tasting that rainbow.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Brawnfire posted:

Savory rainbow food disgusts me. Even if it's just food coloring, it's weird. No problem with it in sugary confections, probably because I'm implicitly consuming non-nutritious things if I'm having a red velvet cronut or some poo poo

The only funny-coloured thing I'll allow is pasta, and even then blue is going a bit too far. Savoury foods are okay from red to green in general.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KataraniSword posted:

It's ok not to like things. They are delicious though, some of the best things to eat that exist.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Rainbows taste like a melted bic lighter, and farts.

e, new MRESteve and it's a banger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9183p7iJ5E0
they made MRE food themselves this time
he got a freeze dryer lol:

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 16:09 on Dec 8, 2020

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The Bloop posted:

It's ok not to like things. They are delicious though, some of the best things to eat that exist.

I never said I didn’t like them (though admittedly lobster is a bit much for me), I said that they were gross.

I’d be down for bug if it was in tendie form.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

Rainbows taste like a melted bic lighter, and farts.

e, new MRESteve and it's a banger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9183p7iJ5E0
they made MRE food themselves this time
he got a freeze dryer lol:

similar to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyhTkX3e-U0

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So what if legumes aren't pure protein? Protein is just a fraction of your diet, and legumes are also good for fixing nitrogen in the soil which saves on fertilizer, which in turn lowers CO2 production. They are also more efficient than other crops and their byproducts have a million uses.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

steinrokkan posted:

So what if legumes aren't pure protein? Protein is just a fraction of your diet, and legumes are also good for fixing nitrogen in the soil which saves on fertilizer, which in turn lowers CO2 production. They are also more efficient than other crops and their byproducts have a million uses.

I think the "way better off environmentally" was with the idea of having insects (or legumes) as a protein source as opposed to farm stock meat.

At least, that was how I read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would rather eat mushrooms than bugs tbh.

Or figure out how to print halloumi out of grass or something.