Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Dawgstar posted:

Where has he spoken about it?
It's part of the interview linked several posts back

If people are not into clicking links and/or reading articles

Jonathan Hickman posted:

Well, part of the problem with talking about this stuff publicly–and this is one of the (minor) reasons that I just don’t do it much anymore–is because it really doesn’t serve anyone to show how the sausage is made.

When I was writing Avengers, I was working from a tight outline. I pretty much knew where I was headed the entire run. Not everyone works that way, and it would be unreasonable for there to be an expectation that everyone work that way, but I do. None of that changes the fact that one day I woke up and had to deal with Old Man Steve Rogers, Superior Spider-Man, Unworthy Thor, and Iron Man a billion miles away from Earth in Guardians.

These are just the naturally-occurring complications of writing ‘Big Books’ at Marvel.

Now, obviously, we would not have laid down the track we did in House of X and Powers of X and X-Men/Fantastic Four if we weren’t planning on playing with that stuff–and who knows, we still might–but the truth is that Dan’s story evolved.

Which is kind of the larger point. Dan’s the writer of the Fantastic Four. He gets to write the book. And I support him the same way I’d support Leah on hers or Zeb on his, and on and on. Velocity and volume make the job hard enough, and none of us have the time or energy to spare on pointless territorial disputes.
There is a way to read between the lines here that Hickman thinks Dan Slott is a bad person and a piece of poo poo, though that interpretation also allows you to infer that he thinks that Rick Remender, Jason Aaron, Kieron Gillen, Leah Williams, Zeb Wells, and most of the creative staff working for Marvel Comics 2008-2020 are also bad people and pieces of poo poo. Which is possible? I cannot say with any certainty what lies in the heart of Jonathan Hickman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Come to think of it, are there any popular characters that were created because the writer wasn't allowed to use a planned character at the last minute over at Marvel? I know that's how DC got two separate carbon copies on Constantine running around.

X-Men wanted to use, I believe, the Daredevil villian The Owl. They couldn't, so Mr Sinister was invented instead.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

IUG posted:

X-Men wanted to use, I believe, the Daredevil villian The Owl. They couldn't, so Mr Sinister was invented instead.
Bob Layton was planning on using Daredevil villain The Owl in X-Factor and then left the book before revealing the Owl and Louise Simonson created Apocalypse rather than follow through on a Mysterious Villain in the Shadows reveal she was not interested in doing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

who can blame her for not wanting to use the Owl, really

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Edge & Christian posted:

It's part of the interview linked several posts back

If people are not into clicking links and/or reading articles
There is a way to read between the lines here that Hickman thinks Dan Slott is a bad person and a piece of poo poo, though that interpretation also allows you to infer that he thinks that Rick Remender, Jason Aaron, Kieron Gillen, Leah Williams, Zeb Wells, and most of the creative staff working for Marvel Comics 2008-2020 are also bad people and pieces of poo poo. Which is possible? I cannot say with any certainty what lies in the heart of Jonathan Hickman.

yeah, I mean it's bizarre that Marvel editorial would greenlight this retcon only a few months after the conclusion of a miniseries whose entire point was that Franklin was a mutant and would always have a home on Krakoa, and I can't read Hickman's mind, but I don't see how anything in that quote is bashing Slott

anyway, I'm disappointed that the Moira book that was teased last year no longer seems to be happening. from what Hickman says, I'd infer that plans to reveal more of her backstory just got folded into other upcoming storylines/projects and that no longer left a place for a series focused on her in particular, but we'll see

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Barry Convex posted:

yeah, I mean it's bizarre that Marvel editorial would greenlight this retcon only a few months after the conclusion of a miniseries whose entire point was that Franklin was a mutant and would always have a home on Krakoa, and I can't read Hickman's mind, but I don't see how anything in that quote is bashing Slott

It's easy to read a subtext of gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you Slott into it because that's where we're all coming from. But I agree, it reads to me more like "well, my grand plans got hosed with before, remember? I dealt then and I'll deal now, don't worry".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a terrible decision but it is slott's decision to make. franklin richards is a ff character.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's a terrible decision but it is slott's decision to make. franklin richards is a ff character.

Except for the miniseries from a few months ago where they determined he was a Krakoan.

That's why even Hickman's kind-of diplomatic statements don't ring true because this isn't just something that's messing up future plans. It made a whole mini-series loving pointless! It broke stories published just a couple months ago! And it was a pretty high-profile thing! So even beyond the idea that Franklin was explicitly set up as one of the few Omega mutants, something that seemed a pretty important thing defined in HoXPoX and likely tied to his future plans- the decision to allow this is breaking comics that people recently bought!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Gwenpool can have stolen his xgene

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

danbanana posted:

Except for the miniseries from a few months ago where they determined he was a Krakoan.

That's why even Hickman's kind-of diplomatic statements don't ring true because this isn't just something that's messing up future plans. It made a whole mini-series loving pointless! It broke stories published just a couple months ago! And it was a pretty high-profile thing! So even beyond the idea that Franklin was explicitly set up as one of the few Omega mutants, something that seemed a pretty important thing defined in HoXPoX and likely tied to his future plans- the decision to allow this is breaking comics that people recently bought!

I can’t speak to how Hickman “really” feels or anything like that but yeah I completely agree with you, just a complete rear end showing move from Slott. He just straight up sucks. I’m sure he’s a wonderful human but as a writer he is Not Good. But he must have a lot of pull at Marvel or his stuff sells well (or he has blackmail info lol) cause he gets away with it. It’s baffling to me but what can ya do.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think Slott is just friends with his editors and in terms of being allowed to do horrible poo poo because a couple higher-ups like you, Slott doesn't even come close to cracking the top 20.

As for his stuff selling well, I think his She-Hulk and Silver Surfer did well, everything else had a built in audience. I don't know how much credit for sales you can give the writer when it's something like a an issue of Spider-Man with Obama on the cover.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

As for his stuff selling well, I think his She-Hulk and Silver Surfer did well, everything else had a built in audience. I don't know how much credit for sales you can give the writer when it's something like a an issue of Spider-Man with Obama on the cover.
That issue was written by Mark Waid (main story) and Zeb Wells (Obama back-up) so Slott really is an rear end in a top hat if he's taking credit for it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Plus, Savage Dragon did have an Obama cover before that. And that Larsen guy drew Spider-Man in the 90s coincidentally.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sword has an absolutely phenomenal cast but the first chapter was pretty much all introductions and setup. still, it's nice that frenzy is getting some respect and that cortez is getting none at all.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Magneto had some amazing facial expressions in Sword as well.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

I like Frenzy actually being tall again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vindicator posted:

I like Frenzy actually being tall again.

Wasn't Frenzy technically an X-Man for a couple of issues and then vanished like she was sucked into the Siege Perilous?

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

She was! Carey had her in Legacy for a fair bit, particularly after Age of X, where she happened to be in a relationship with Scott, and upon the world being restored, wanted to recapture that feeling of being a hero. That lasted up until about Avengers vs X-Men, and then she kind of fell into appearances in the background of crowd scenes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she was briefly in one of the inhuman books, where she wanted to help but was hindered by being a wanted criminal as though that really stopped anyone before. it was real dumb because it relied on her playing the public role of a mutant terrorist so that the inhumans could continue to not do anything about the death clouds.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Marauders, gently caress yeah.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Good week again. SWORD was lovely, and dunking on Cortez like that is a stroke of brilliance. However, I have no idea what that black thing they pulled out of the teleportation effort is supposed to be. A cosmic cube? What?

Also,

Skwirl posted:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
SWORD owns. Glad they got Ewing for this.

Marauders also good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the thingy is probably something new, but its origin sure is portentous enough. the white hot room is where phoenixes live.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Skwirl posted:

Oh, hi Glob!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I like how all of these absolutely, skin crawlingly evil X-villains have grown and been redeemed in various way and Sebastian Shaw is exactly the same piece of poo poo he was in X-Men #129.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

the white hot room is where phoenixes live.

Oh yeah! I knew that name was familiar, but I couldn't place it. Man, what an odd thing to bring back from that final Grant Morrison story.

But then again, Ewing just brought back Peepers! Peepers! And Magneto and him have this most nonchalant old men talk and it's just superb.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 9, 2020

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Y'know, I feel like "The Six" is kind of a misnomer when the actual process involves something like ten or eleven people. :colbert:

Magneto's reaction to the Wanda name drop is really interesting. Is this where this...character thread, I guess?...will finally be addressed?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

the thingy is probably something new, but its origin sure is portentous enough. the white hot room is where phoenixes live.
The white hot room is associated with M’Kraan crystals. I thought it might be a crystal but not sure how.

I’m also assuming the spoilered section head is Doctor Nemesis but I don’t know why it would be spoilered.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
doctor nemesis does have augmented eyes with some of the same functionality as peeper (i had to look him up), but that's not his mutant power. in theory he could give anyone similar eyes.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
S.W.O.R.D. and GotG were both tons of fun, Ewing has so much range it's unbelievable. I really like the way he writes Magneto-- very flawed, very grounded, but also with a really understated dignity that sells his gravity better than more bombastic portrayals do.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Magneto's reaction to the Wanda name drop is really interesting. Is this where this...character thread, I guess?...will finally be addressed?

I bet they make her and Quicksilver a mutant again. And having so many people loving hate her is part of that redemptive arc.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Echoing what everyone said, SWORD was phenomenal. I'm super excited to see Ewing continue to build his space stuff, especially with what went on in GotG. The magic triangle might be a continuation of something introduced in Ewing's Ultimates. I also like the small implication at the end that Doom is spying on Krakoa.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Skwirl posted:

I bet they make her and Quicksilver a mutant again. And having so many people loving hate her is part of that redemptive arc.

I doubt it’s really “canon” but the ending page of one of the Strange Academy issues showed her school email inbox with a message from Magneto asking to catch up, too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I hope the fact that Prodigy is (was?) technically dating space royalty gets brought up in X-Factor.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I hope the fact that Prodigy is (was?) technically dating space royalty gets brought up in X-Factor.

Que?
He kissed one of them when they were about to die (genuinely can't remember if it was Hulking or Wiccan) and they said "no thank you."

That's not dating, that's called being a disasterbi.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
S.W.O.R.D. was amazing as a set-up. Dig the Peak being set up as a literal Sword of Damocles hanging over Krakoa.

It was interesting that only Cortez's back-up was redacted. I'm kinda hoping it turns out to be Michael Nowlan.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

It was interesting that only Cortez's back-up was redacted. I'm kinda hoping it turns out to be Michael Nowlan.

I don't know who that is.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
He's basically Fabian Cortez, but his powers are addictive. He's also got a history with Frenzy.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

I don't know who that is.
Michael Nowlan

Michael Nowlan and his wife Susan were both heroin addicts before he was drafted into the Vietnam Conflict in his late teens. His mutant ability manifested itself during the war, but it was not until his detoxification in a military drug rehabilitation center that they became fully apparent. Upon meeting another former soldier, the man who would become Timeshadow, his power caused the man's temporal duplication power to surface. Following this event, word spread about his ability to enhance mutant energies, and other mutants began to seek him out. Mutants became hooked on the power and used whatever means they could to force him to enhance their powers. Nowlan found that the only way to stop this was to stay narcotized on heroin, which retarded the energy transfer. However, staying drugged caused him to lose his job, his health, and his wife, who had cleaned up her act after the war and gotten a decent job.

At some point, Nowlan was discovered by and became a pawn of the mutant known as Apocalypse. Apocalypse designed a machine to feed Nowlan's addiction, as well as to reverse it as needed to utilize his power. Nowlan's power helped to enhance the abilities of his fellow field agents at the time, the Alliance of Evil.

Nowlan eventually escaped from Apocalypse and was pursued by the Alliance. He sought the aid of his ex-wife, Susan, who refused to get involved with his drug addiction or his mutant antagonists. Susan contacted the group X-Factor, who were at the time posing as mutant-hunters to allow themselves to locate and help mutants. Susan attempted to flee town, but was captured by the Alliance, who sought to use her to locate Michael and force him to help them.

X-Factor located Nowlan and helped him recover from a near overdose. They made plans to help him, but the Alliance arrived and threatened Susan if he refused to enhance them. He complied, allowing them to easily overpower X-Factor and escape with both Michael and Susan back to Apocalypse's base.

Apocalypse returned Nowlan to his machine, where he enhanced the Alliance's powers, allowing them to again overpower X-Factor when they arrived. Susan attempted to flee the chaos, but was killed by a blast from Stinger. Enraged, Michael drew all of the energy back into himself, allowing X-Factor to triumph at the cost of his own life. His body was unable to contain all of the additional energy and he died, feeling the world was better off without him.

Powers
Power Amplification: Nowlan radiated pulses of energy that supercharged superhuman abilities or drove them out of their owner's control. This energy was highly addictive.

Mouse over the redacted text to read spoiler text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

He's basically Fabian Cortez, but his powers are addictive. He's also got a history with Frenzy.

I thought Fabian Cortez' powers were addictive?