Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Do you have RFTools? Power Cells are my new favourite power transmission method as they, like EnderIO Capacitor Banks, increase in both capacity and throughput as you link more powercells together. The difference is that powercells work wirelessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
What's the rec on 1.16 modpacks? I like the new nether and wanna get into it with mods. I don't much care for skyblock or the like, though, I wanna build stuff in a world.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Wahad posted:

What's the rec on 1.16 modpacks? I like the new nether and wanna get into it with mods. I don't much care for skyblock or the like, though, I wanna build stuff in a world.

Well there are the general kitchen sink packs in enigmatica 6 or all the mods 6.

It may just be me, but enigmatica’s last update dropped my tps down to 10ish instead of the 20 it should be.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
anyone have any quest-based mod recommendations? That aren't sevtech or enigmatica?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The entire Material Energy series by Greninja is quite good if you want a highly structured pack with a definite endpoint. If you just mean a pack with a poo poo ton of bqm quests then Dungeons, Dragons & Space Shuttles for standard world and Project Ozone 3 (titan or kappa mode) for skyblock are both up there.

If you haven't played Blightfall yet then you owe it to yourself for what was/is the largest attempt at a structured world & story.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 4, 2020

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rynoto posted:

Dungeons, Dragons & Space Shuttles
Even for as ridiculous and grindy as the recipes in this apparently were, the feature that turned me off it was that no other modpack took as long to boot as this one.
Like, the top offenders for me have been Sevtech:Ages at around 8 minutes and FTB: Interactions at around 11, but DD&S I didn't even bother keeping track of as it approached 20
God drat I wish they're fix the Forge boot method, because there's literally no loving reason it should take 10 minutes to boot anything.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I realise there is probably a really terrific reason why it's not possible or practical that we can't, but I wish we could just save the jvm state after loading, and load that after the first time.

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008
I want to put together a modpack for myself and I haven't played modded minecraft for years. Are all of the mods still on 1.12.2 or did they move to 1.15.2 now? I'm on https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/mc-mods and viewing the 1.12.2 mods shows 27 pages of mods while 1.15.2 has 19 pages of mods. Is there a better way of visualising how many mods there are in the various categories of game version, theme, etc.? Possibly I should be looking at Forge instead of various minecraft versions in the Game Version selector?

It's also confusing to gather the various quality of life mods because they always seem to change names with each new minecraft version. Not Enough Items, Just Enough Items, The One Probe, What Am I Looking At, What Are We Looking At, Here's What You're Looking At.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

bigperm posted:

I realise there is probably a really terrific reason why it's not possible or practical that we can't, but I wish we could just save the jvm state after loading, and load that after the first time.
At the very least, a massive chunk of every load time is compiling arrays by reading and combining all the recipes, interactions, names, etc. of the new modded content. There's no reason these have to be built from scratch every single time you boot, and just having a simple hash check to see that the mod list hasn't changed, so it's okay to use the old compiled sets, would speed things up massively.
But my understanding is because the Forge dev(s) don't care about that personally they're not going to ever fix it.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

At the very least, a massive chunk of every load time is compiling arrays by reading and combining all the recipes, interactions, names, etc. of the new modded content. There's no reason these have to be built from scratch every single time you boot, and just having a simple hash check to see that the mod list hasn't changed, so it's okay to use the old compiled sets, would speed things up massively.
But my understanding is because the Forge dev(s) don't care about that personally they're not going to ever fix it.

You're correct and while I don't know if Fabric does this thing you're describing, it launches SO MUCH FASTER.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"user experience? who gives a poo poo"

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dragonshardz posted:

You're correct and while I don't know if Fabric does this thing you're describing, it launches SO MUCH FASTER.
Which is really nice, but all the big packs I wanna play are Forge. Fabric's got an uphill battle for content, but Forge is forever floundering in performance. I call it "The Duality of Man".

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Wahad posted:

I've played quite a bit of Valhelsia 3.
Have had quite a few bug problems with 1.16 packs before but this one has been good so far.

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/valhelsia-3

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Mycroft Holmes posted:

anyone have any quest-based mod recommendations? That aren't sevtech or enigmatica?

You should play Blightfall.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Rustic Waters was decent to play through, and being underwater most of the game was a change from the norm. Volcano Block was a slight variation on skyblocks and wasn't bad either.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Someone should do to Blightfall what someone did to factorio (Satisfactory). Blightfall is pretty much an entire game on its own.
(That someone is not me of course)

But yes, everyone should play blightfall.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What's the mechanic with the wireless crafting terminal the the infinity booster cards? How does that relate to network range? I saw I'm running low on them. I guess I was getting out of range of my access points or something?

Regarding power connections: I tried Mekanism's cables. Most stuff is working better with them, but now my AE2 energy accepter screws up with them and I have to redo the connection every time I load a save. I guess next up is EnderIO conduits in general.

The wireless options are fine but seem a bit silly for connecting everything. I anticipate they'll have a problem somewhere too eventually.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What's the mechanic with the wireless crafting terminal the the infinity booster cards? How does that relate to network range? I saw I'm running low on them. I guess I was getting out of range of my access points or something?

Regarding power connections: I tried Mekanism's cables. Most stuff is working better with them, but now my AE2 energy accepter screws up with them and I have to redo the connection every time I load a save. I guess next up is EnderIO conduits in general.

The wireless options are fine but seem a bit silly for connecting everything. I anticipate they'll have a problem somewhere too eventually.

FWIW I never had any problems with the RFTools Energy Cubes.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Falcon2001 posted:

FWIW I never had any problems with the RFTools Energy Cubes.

Are you using those on everything? No other (power) connectors?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Are you using those on everything? No other (power) connectors?

In all fairness, I haven't played with them in a while, and I used them with Thermal Expansion power cables and they worked just fine.

Currently I'm playing Enigmatica 6 and it's just POWAH! cables with like four devices, so probably not helpful.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
One more point of clarification: was it RFTools' power cells or Mekanism's energy cubes?

On the other hand, adding a redstone energy conduit in front of the AE2 energy cell seemed to fix it from draining out on game load. This is quite a strange amount of incompatibility for 1.12.2 stuff. I had figured this kind of thing would have matured. Has everything mostly moved on from 1.12.2 yet? I'm wondering if I should just move up.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

One more point of clarification: was it RFTools' power cells or Mekanism's energy cubes?

On the other hand, adding a redstone energy conduit in front of the AE2 energy cell seemed to fix it from draining out on game load. This is quite a strange amount of incompatibility for 1.12.2 stuff. I had figured this kind of thing would have matured. Has everything mostly moved on from 1.12.2 yet? I'm wondering if I should just move up.

The RFTools one, Mekanism stuff has been hirkyjerky for me from time to time on the transport and storage stuff.

1.16 has more mods than I expected, for what it's worth. I got like four or five packs to try out. Enigmatica 6 is fine for a lightweight questing modpack.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hmm is there anything to help facilitate trying to update a bunch of mods to their 1.16 counterparts? I just wondered if there was anything that takes advantage of existing web APIs for Curseforge or whatever it is now.

I saw Mekanism has moved up to 1.16 and started to turn some gears in my head, but I don't want to really think about sitting down and manually checking 100+ mods.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

I have a minecraft server that I haven't played on for 6 months, I'm really really really tempted to just rip out all the mods I have on there and put blightfall on it and start a blightfall server thread. I would need someone to be admins though.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So for those here who wanted a shot at the new Sevtech But Skyblock-ish, we have a server of it up and running and dealing with the parts that weren't wholly thought through! Our thread has a quick link and some stuff.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

StealthArcher posted:

So for those here who wanted a shot at the new Sevtech But Skyblock-ish, we have a server of it up and running and dealing with the parts that weren't wholly thought through! Our thread has a quick link and some stuff.

What's skyblockish about it, other than starting on islands in the sky? I tried it out and I was doing the same stuff I did in Sevtech, no immediate changes in resources or recipes.

How does it do ore generation?

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Fabric feels so much better to build a modpack with, I wish there were more options for power generation. Every option out there has something terrible about it. Industrial Revolution is probably the best one I've tried so far, as it wasn't asking for crazy things for getting to the next tier of tech. But the Heat Generator doesn't work as it says it should - I still had to load it up with buckets of lava, with no passive generation. Having to babysit a generator sucks. :<

I jumped over to trying All the Mods 6, which seems to have the stuff I want, but things are just different enough it throws me off. Also the load times. :stare:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Quark is pretty much singlehandedly making me stick with Forge, right now. Just too many quality of life conveniences and a ton of really nice decorative blocks.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I'm hoping for someone more skilled with Java than I to get a bug up their rear end about it and port Create to Fabric.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I hate giant megapacks anyways so to me the loadtimes are a great last indicator of "actually this isn't a pack you want to play."

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

reignonyourparade posted:

I hate giant megapacks anyways so to me the loadtimes are a great last indicator of "actually this isn't a pack you want to play."
This is almost always the case, yeah. But the few exceptions that are actually quite fun still irk me. I could probably count such packs on one hand though.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody have a preferred strategy for generating biofuel in Immersive Engineering? I have some notion that I should try to use watermelons and then some autocrafting (the assembler?) to break it up between slices and seeds to get the respective ethanol and seed oil. To keep the proper ratio, I'd need four seeds per watermelon slice. I'm trying to figure out if there's any good ways within Immersive Engineering itself to keep that ratio.

I haven't dabbled in all of its logistics yet. My take is that I would need to lean on vanilla redstone to count and divert between the watermelon route and the seed route.

My idea here is that I might be having to do this in one of those modpacks where IE is an stepping stone ("intermediate engineering") to the better machines, so you don't have all the cool stuff yet--if you ever even get it. I scheme all kinds of things if I have more mods involved, but I'm deliberately suppressing that thought during this experiment.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does anybody have a preferred strategy for generating biofuel in Immersive Engineering? I have some notion that I should try to use watermelons and then some autocrafting (the assembler?) to break it up between slices and seeds to get the respective ethanol and seed oil. To keep the proper ratio, I'd need four seeds per watermelon slice. I'm trying to figure out if there's any good ways within Immersive Engineering itself to keep that ratio.

I haven't dabbled in all of its logistics yet. My take is that I would need to lean on vanilla redstone to count and divert between the watermelon route and the seed route.

My idea here is that I might be having to do this in one of those modpacks where IE is an stepping stone ("intermediate engineering") to the better machines, so you don't have all the cool stuff yet--if you ever even get it. I scheme all kinds of things if I have more mods involved, but I'm deliberately suppressing that thought during this experiment.

16 cloches, 8 each potato and hemp. Pipe into the squeezer/distiller, then the refinery, then into a tank for buffer and finally into a pair of diesel engines.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Don't forget to void excess cloche products. They can jam up pipes real good.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Do you just throw out all the hemp fiber?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do you just throw out all the hemp fiber?

That, or pump it into an assembler to make wool, if you need a lot of it for some reason

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the voided storage drawer is the ultimate solution for 'well what the gently caress am i gonna do with this' since you still get to have a shitload of the thing on hand, just in case

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

The wool usually comes in handy for AE2 cables.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I'm about to put up a no :effort: blightfall server thread. Is there anything I should know before I get it out?

Edit: if someone wants to help me and/or if tartifett rehosts his blightfall modpack with updated mods and other stuff I could use that.

Edit2:
Blightfall server is up, post IGN in server for whitelist.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950791

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I just got to LV tier in GT:NH. :toot: