Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I read a post here on SA (I think) that said there was a movie about a soldier, and this movie really pissed off John Wayne (something about some of the characters not showing the main character the proper respect Wayne felt he was due as an American hero) so he made his own movie in response. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about and what the two movies were? I want to read more about John Wayne's weird movie tantrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Rio Bravo was made by him and Hawks as a response to High Noon (which was critical of blacklisting/McCarthyism), which Wayne thought was un-American. Might be what you're thinking of.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
John Wayne's pro military Vietnam movie The Green Berets was his response to the anti war sentiment going on at the time. I never heard it being in response to another movie he saw, though I think Oliver Stone has called his movie Platoon the anti-Green Berets.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
There was some straight to dvd or TV b movie in I expect the early 90s. I thought the protagonist was Richard greco but I don't see anything on his filmography that's jumping out. The actor definitely had them bushy eyebrows.

The premise as I recall it was the protagonist "wake up" in the dystopian future, supposedly having been frozen after an injury and hijinks ensue. It turns out he's actually a clone who's memories came from a brain scan right after the accident, because his primogenitor was the scientist who came up with the cloning technology but destroyed all his scans he could find before escaping the evil corporation, but he missed that one. But surprise, he's actually evil and the clone was a cats paw for something I can't recall, maybe defeating some resistance underground and taking over the corporation to be even more evil.

The primogenitor had some raggedy rear end long hair and the protagonist had a clean cut hair I think. I recall it being cheap looking but who knows.

cookiefulloarsenic
Oct 30, 2011

Synnr posted:

There was some straight to dvd or TV b movie in I expect the early 90s. I thought the protagonist was Richard greco but I don't see anything on his filmography that's jumping out. The actor definitely had them bushy eyebrows.

The premise as I recall it was the protagonist "wake up" in the dystopian future, supposedly having been frozen after an injury and hijinks ensue. It turns out he's actually a clone who's memories came from a brain scan right after the accident, because his primogenitor was the scientist who came up with the cloning technology but destroyed all his scans he could find before escaping the evil corporation, but he missed that one. But surprise, he's actually evil and the clone was a cats paw for something I can't recall, maybe defeating some resistance underground and taking over the corporation to be even more evil.

The primogenitor had some raggedy rear end long hair and the protagonist had a clean cut hair I think. I recall it being cheap looking but who knows.

Johnny 2.0?
https://youtu.be/3rV7QGhHt8w

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Hell yeah it is! I was wondering why I had lawnmower man in the mix in my head but I figured it was just "90s cyberthriller type stuff" but I didn't make the connection.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I can't remember much about this movie except for one scene: some guy is tied up to a bed in an English(?) house, about to be murdered by a Russian. The Russian plays music, drinks vodka and has a knife ready to butcher the guy. Someone then walks into the house, sees the scene from the bedroom door, and promptly murders the Russian.

Another scene has this same Russian chasing after a guy, and the Russian is really badly beat up but doesn't stop. He gets shot(?) or hurt in some way, falls down, gets back up and continues chasing the guy. He's wearing some cool looking body armour / kevlar vest. He's real leak / skinny.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Qubee posted:

I can't remember much about this movie except for one scene: some guy is tied up to a bed in an English(?) house, about to be murdered by a Russian. The Russian plays music, drinks vodka and has a knife ready to butcher the guy. Someone then walks into the house, sees the scene from the bedroom door, and promptly murders the Russian.

Another scene has this same Russian chasing after a guy, and the Russian is really badly beat up but doesn't stop. He gets shot(?) or hurt in some way, falls down, gets back up and continues chasing the guy. He's wearing some cool looking body armour / kevlar vest. He's real leak / skinny.

Sounds like this could be RocknRolla but I'm not positive.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Qubee posted:

Is this one of the Bourne movies?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Human Tornada posted:

Sounds like this could be RocknRolla but I'm not positive.

Nailed it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
drat a friend asked me about this one, it's not the Time Machine

"I don't remember the title, but it involved pale, ape-like people who worshipped (?) a monolith of sorts that could shoot lasers. The main character was a standard hero archetype, and he had a lady that he resuced from the ape-people (?). At the film's climax they run up the mountain to the monolith and have it zap the ape-people to death"

They said also it was most likely and 80s movie and looked super cheap.

Edit: it's not Congo either that was the first thing I thought of with monkies + shot with a laser lol

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 4, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Neo Rasa posted:

"I don't remember the title, but it involved pale, ape-like people who worshipped (?) a monolith of sorts that could shoot lasers. The main character was a standard hero archetype, and he had a lady that he resuced from the ape-people (?). At the film's climax they run up the mountain to the monolith and have it zap the ape-people to death"

Edit: it's not Congo either that was the first thing I thought of with monkies + shot with a laser lol

Beneath the Planet of the Apes?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Davros1 posted:

Beneath the Planet of the Apes?

Not that either:(

I wish I knew what this was because it sounds awesome lol

It's not Desert Warrior either

Lacerda
Apr 20, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

If they're misremembering some elements it could be the 1978 movie Starcrash?

See this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LOpi6TsW4o&t=3132s

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This is way harder to find than it should be for some reason.

I'm remembering a show from the 90s where a guy and his dog (Saint bernard I think) get their minds swapped in an accident, then the guy's body dies right away and the series is just him in a dog's body getting into sitcom hijinks. It may have been Canadian,or was at least on ytv.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Retro Futurist posted:

This is way harder to find than it should be for some reason.

I'm remembering a show from the 90s where a guy and his dog (Saint bernard I think) get their minds swapped in an accident, then the guy's body dies right away and the series is just him in a dog's body getting into sitcom hijinks. It may have been Canadian,or was at least on ytv.

I think this one only made it to a pilot but it'd be hilarious if there are multiple shows with this premise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9_KUBLyHo

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

morestuff posted:

I think this one only made it to a pilot but it'd be hilarious if there are multiple shows with this premise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9_KUBLyHo

Here's that second one:

https://youtu.be/BRg4fvvGv1c

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That's the one! I distinctly remember the electricity.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Already answered but for #3 I submit 100 Deeds for Eddie McDowd
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Deeds_for_Eddie_McDowd

quote:

I'm Eddie McDowd, I'm a dog, and I talk. I used to be a kid, a bad kid, but then I mess with the wrong guy. ... He turned me into a dog. Can you believe this? That freak turned me into a dog! To be a kid again I have to do 100 good deeds, and the only person who can hear me talk is the last person I picked on. Now I'm living with this kid in this family, they love me! but they treat me like a dog.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
only slightly related, but how can I not bring it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMz8azB-y1k

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I've been trying to find a film that I believe was mentioned in the Who Greenlighted? thread a year or so again. It was a South Korean film if I remember correctly, but it could've been Japanese (or a joint venture) as well. I believe it was a heightened reality action movie kind of deal, with a lot of gore and stylish editing (the trailer did, at least). It got a lot of buzz because pretty much every single significant name in South Korean cinema was signed onto it. I remember the trailer having all the names flash up one after another like it was The Godfather or something.

Not a lot of info, I'm afraid. Does anyone by chance know what I'm talking about? :shobon:

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

JordanKai posted:

I've been trying to find a film that I believe was mentioned in the Who Greenlighted? thread a year or so again. It was a South Korean film if I remember correctly, but it could've been Japanese (or a joint venture) as well. I believe it was a heightened reality action movie kind of deal, with a lot of gore and stylish editing (the trailer did, at least). It got a lot of buzz because pretty much every single significant name in South Korean cinema was signed onto it. I remember the trailer having all the names flash up one after another like it was The Godfather or something.

Not a lot of info, I'm afraid. Does anyone by chance know what I'm talking about? :shobon:

Shot in the dark, but I Saw the Devil is a stylish Korean movie with a lot of gore and several recognizable actors.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I remember a short that used to get shown on Nickelodeon or maybe HBO in the early 80s.

God is taking a vacation, so he shoots his power from his finger to a man on Earth. He intends to hit a priest and instead hits an old man, who becomes a kind of superhero on roller skates.

The rejuvenated old man fights evil and falls in love with a young woman, then turns back into an old man when God comes back from his vacation. God realizes his mistakes and makes the old man young again so he can be with the young woman. The old man is turned young after being covered in ribbons.

Any ideas?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Price Check posted:

Shot in the dark, but I Saw the Devil is a stylish Korean movie with a lot of gore and several recognizable actors.

Too old, I'm afraid! The film I'm thinking of is from 2017 at the earliest, I think. I Saw the Devil is on my watchlist, though!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

JordanKai posted:

Too old, I'm afraid! The film I'm thinking of is from 2017 at the earliest, I think. I Saw the Devil is on my watchlist, though!

Probably not it but Train to Busan had some big names

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

JordanKai posted:

I believe it was a heightened reality action movie kind of deal, with a lot of gore and stylish editing (the trailer did, at least). It got a lot of buzz because pretty much every single significant name in South Korean cinema was signed onto it. I remember the trailer having all the names flash up one after another like it was The Godfather or something.

This sounds like something I should have at least heard of, but nothing really fitting comes to mind right now. Most star-studded action movies releases with buzz since 2017 I can think of had some very distinctive features I would assume you would remember (Like the "Along with the Gods" movies, "Ashfall", "Rampart" or "Peninsula").

Believer, maybe?
There's a very slight chance it's Extreme Job - an action comedy that's rather light on the action (and gore), but has some stylish fight scenes and a trailer that somewhat fits the description (even though the flashing names aren't all that significant), if you ignore the comedic tone of most of it.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

JordanKai posted:

Too old and no gore, but The Thieves is a Korean-Chinese Ocean's Eleven heist movie involving some Japanese and I think it presented the actors as an ensemble cast.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2330866/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28qTsiPhYCI

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

BioTech posted:

Too old and no gore, but The Thieves is a Korean-Chinese Ocean's Eleven heist movie involving some Japanese and I think it presented the actors as an ensemble cast.

I know it's not the answer, but I'm going to see the hell out of this. Thanks

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

westborn posted:

This sounds like something I should have at least heard of, but nothing really fitting comes to mind right now. Most star-studded action movies releases with buzz since 2017 I can think of had some very distinctive features I would assume you would remember (Like the "Along with the Gods" movies, "Ashfall", "Rampart" or "Peninsula").

Believer, maybe?
There's a very slight chance it's Extreme Job - an action comedy that's rather light on the action (and gore), but has some stylish fight scenes and a trailer that somewhat fits the description (even though the flashing names aren't all that significant), if you ignore the comedic tone of most of it.

BioTech posted:

I don't think it's any of these either, but there are some cool-looking films on here that I'll definitely be adding to my watchlist. Thanks!

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

JordanKai posted:

I don't think it's any of these either, but there are some cool-looking films on here that I'll definitely be adding to my watchlist. Thanks!

Well, Peninsula for one was definitely not meant as a recommendation...

Was it maybe Illang: The Wolf Brigade (2018)?
Not really star studded, but it's got some gritty action and had some western recognition due to it being a live-action remake of the anime "Jin-Roh".

I doubt it would have made it into that thread, but it's not the re-release of Memories of Murder, is it? But that trailer only dropped two months ago.

If it's not one of those, here's some other more or less fitting candidates:

Battleship Island (2017) - Stars, Japanese setting, gritty action
Assassination (2015) - Stars, Hype, Japanese setting, action
Real (2017) - Chinese/Korean production, stylish action
Asura: City of Madness (2016) - Gritty, gory action
Fabricated City (2017) - Stylish action
Nameless Gangster (2012) - Star studded, Hype, gritty

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

westborn posted:

Well, Peninsula for one was definitely not meant as a recommendation...

Was it maybe Illang: The Wolf Brigade (2018)?
Not really star studded, but it's got some gritty action and had some western recognition due to it being a live-action remake of the anime "Jin-Roh".

I doubt it would have made it into that thread, but it's not the re-release of Memories of Murder, is it? But that trailer only dropped two months ago.

If it's not one of those, here's some other more or less fitting candidates:

Battleship Island (2017) - Stars, Japanese setting, gritty action
Assassination (2015) - Stars, Hype, Japanese setting, action
Real (2017) - Chinese/Korean production, stylish action
Asura: City of Madness (2016) - Gritty, gory action
Fabricated City (2017) - Stylish action
Nameless Gangster (2012) - Star studded, Hype, gritty

Oh, is Peninsula not good? :( I was excited to watch it since I really like Train to Busan.

Anyway, I think my memory of this film is even more hazy than I thought. I think all of the names signed onto it weren't necessarily superstars, but genre favourite, either from action or from horror. I'm also not at all sure that it was a South Korean or Japanese film. Maybe it was from Hong Kong? The only thing I'm fairly sure about is that it was an East Asian film.

Really specific, I know. :v:

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

JordanKai posted:

Oh, is Peninsula not good? :( I was excited to watch it since I really like Train to Busan.
It's not Train to Busan 2, it's "Train to Busan presents:" - no real direct connection, it's literally just set in the world after the events of TtB, but is much more cheesy/cartoonish.
It has a few good moments, but is overall rather lame and the climax is "The Fast and the Fury Road: Incheon Drift". A post apocalyptic chase through a city with bad CGI cars and Fast & Furious physics, but (at least to me) not as enjoyable silly as F&F5+. The ending is a dragged out mess.
Ashfall is polished schlock, pretty much Korea's answer to Emmerich. Can be enjoyed with your brain off, but your mileage may vary.
Also, if you somehow want to watch only one of the two unrelated but coincidentally very similar Josen era zombie thingies, watch the show Kingdom instead of Rampant.

JordanKai posted:

I think all of the names signed onto it weren't necessarily superstars, but genre favourite, either from action or from horror. I'm also not at all sure that it was a South Korean or Japanese film. Maybe it was from Hong Kong? The only thing I'm fairly sure about is that it was an East Asian film.

South East Asian, but maybe it's Triple Threat (2019), with, among others, Tony Jaa (Ong-Bak) and Iko Uwais (The Raid)?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

westborn posted:

South East Asian, but maybe it's Triple Threat (2019), with, among others, Tony Jaa (Ong-Bak) and Iko Uwais (The Raid)?

I don't think this is the one, but it led me on a chase to a film that I thiiiink might be the one I'm looking for, which is SPL 2: Time for Consequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuR4LEVJZBU

Still not 100% sure since it didn't give me that spark of familiarity, but I think I'll settle on it for now, haha. Thanks for all the help!!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JordanKai posted:

The Villianess? I remember that having some stylish action scenes, including one that was entirely in first person.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

GoldStandardConure posted:

The Villianess? I remember that having some stylish action scenes, including one that was entirely in first person.

I don't think so. It was definitely an ensemble piece, and The Villainess looks like it's really focussed on a single character.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I’ve had a flash of a movie in my head since....Jesus it might be one of my oldest memories? It would be the late 80s. Animated movie. I want to say it was Japanese style in animation, but I can’t say for certain.

The image I remember is a little kid and an...animal? An anthropomorphic something that had a tail. They’re on a floating block. Kind of like the floating block levels from Mario. And a witch(?) fires a spell and hits the animal sidekick in the tail and it turns the furry tip of the tail into a square block.

That is literally all I remember. I’ve thought about this off and on for over thirty years.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Trevor Hale posted:

I’ve had a flash of a movie in my head since....Jesus it might be one of my oldest memories? It would be the late 80s. Animated movie. I want to say it was Japanese style in animation, but I can’t say for certain.

The image I remember is a little kid and an...animal? An anthropomorphic something that had a tail. They’re on a floating block. Kind of like the floating block levels from Mario. And a witch(?) fires a spell and hits the animal sidekick in the tail and it turns the furry tip of the tail into a square block.

That is literally all I remember. I’ve thought about this off and on for over thirty years.

Unico in the Island of Magic

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Origami Dali posted:

Unico in the Island of Magic

Goddamn, thank you

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Saw a video of this on FB for about 5 minutes. It deals with a young woman who is "different" in some way. Stronger than normal, very smart, and she is being recruited into the space program in the 60s to act as "companionship" for the male astronauts. Because she's weird she's picked on and gets into fights and that causes her to be kicked out of the program. Also she was going to be kicked out due to medical reason, but didn't get to see what that was. Looks like it was made in the last 5-10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

CzarChasm posted:

Saw a video of this on FB for about 5 minutes. It deals with a young woman who is "different" in some way. Stronger than normal, very smart, and she is being recruited into the space program in the 60s to act as "companionship" for the male astronauts. Because she's weird she's picked on and gets into fights and that causes her to be kicked out of the program. Also she was going to be kicked out due to medical reason, but didn't get to see what that was. Looks like it was made in the last 5-10 years.

Predestination