Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Rx King posted:

Synth Pilot Destroyer is next lockbox ship
Gonna guess fed only to continue the year of the Klingon tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Lagomorphic posted:

Once the winter event starts you can get a fairly easy 100-200 marks a day raising snow rats and chucking them in ye ol woodchipper

Yup. Once you know how, the PVP race is absurdly easy. It can take a while to master the optimal 'bunny-hopping' technique, but once you do, you will basically always win against anyone else not doing it. In short, it entails:
- continuously jumping to avoid the slipping animation starting and stay at maximum speed
- primarily using the mouse (rather than keys) to steer, and doing so as gently as possible - this avoids the vast majority of slipping/sliding whilst turning, which wastes huge amounts of time for most runners.
- using the above two techniques to take the shortest route possible (ie: taking tight not wide corners, etc), whilst remaining within the race boundary flags
- a few cheap speedbuffs (Command Spec 'Forward March' ability, 'Physical Conditioning' Trait, an any level/rarity [Run] weapon, etc) can help, but are not usually needed.

Once you get the hang of it, you will win by a comfortable margin the overwhelming majority of the time. The rare occasion you don't come first (1 in 30 or so) is either lag, or due to someone else doing it, but with more speedbuffs.

Most players have zero clue how to do this, and every couple of races you will get angry PMs or shoutouts in zone for 'cheating', 'hacking' or 'not doing it properly'. You can increase the chance of this by using your lead to dance on top of the First Place flag whilst the rest catch up to you, and only claiming it at the last possible second (causing chaos as everyone realises and has to frantically change course to take the Second Place flag).

EDIT: this technique also works for the daily shipgrind race (making it quick and easy by avoiding most slipping) - if done optimally you can overtake the two racers in front of you, even with their hefty headstart

Tigey fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 3, 2020

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Reminder: 8472 Rep ground armor gives a significant speed boost when you dodge roll, which can be used to completely negate momentum when sliding. This is mostly useful on the ship grind race.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

another reminder: even if your Jem'Hadar is cured of the Kethrazel White addiction you can still use it to get a speedbuff no other race can get
2nd tip for the PvP race: look for low pop instances

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

MREBoy posted:

Reminder: 8472 Rep ground armor gives a significant speed boost when you dodge roll, which can be used to completely negate momentum when sliding. This is mostly useful on the ship grind race.
While more useful on the ship race, you can dodge roll right before the start of the PVP race to start off with the extra boost.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Just hit Rear Admiral, Lower Half. Still not entirely sure what I'm doing playing Space Wizard. I suspect that a lot of what I can do will probably not actually unlock until I've hit cap and started collecting better poo poo. I suppose now I need to decide what ship to take into what is, in theory, the start of endgame.

I'd been doing the silly thing of doubling down on Science Captain with Science Ship, and I do know that isn't 'optimal' but anything worth doing is worth over doing, as I always say.

I want to like the look of the Luna, but I look at it and can't help but think of Starfleet Krillin, the Miranda and the Nebula. I may wind up going with the Trident instead.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Teron D Amun posted:

another reminder: even if your Jem'Hadar is cured of the Kethrazel White addiction you can still use it to get a speedbuff no other race can get
2nd tip for the PvP race: look for low pop instances

3rd tip:pubbies are easily distracted by bright lights and shiny objects. Drop a discoball before the race begins and you will get a couple seconds of headstart

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The Impossibility of Reason was so much better than I thought any of the Discovery content would be. I didn't think it made sense to kill off Th'Pev in order to "slow the Klingons down" when one person against a flood of Klingons can't really slow them down that much, but his combat scene was very well-animated.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 5, 2020

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
My main in game is Streylight@gearheadx if someone could send me a channel invite.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Tunicate posted:

3rd tip:pubbies are easily distracted by bright lights and shiny objects. Drop a discoball before the race begins and you will get a couple seconds of headstart

4th tip: Open trade window several times to confuse one of your opponents.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

On a PC, how do you set up a macro to activate all your boff abilities, both in ground and space combat? Is there an in-game utility, an STO-specific third party utility, or do you use a general-purpose macro utility like AutoHotKey?

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 6, 2020

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

galenanorth posted:

On a PC, how do you set up a macro to activate all your boff abilities, both in ground and space combat? Is there an in-game utility, an STO-specific third party utility, or do you use a general-purpose macro utility like AutoHotKey?

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/wiki/macros

you bind it using the ingame system to put everything into spacebar

TL;DR

Put this into your
Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live
folder as spacebar.txt
code:
Space "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireAll$$+TrayExecByTray 6 0$$+TrayExecByTray 6 1$$+TrayExecByTray 6 2$$+TrayExecByTray 6 3$$+TrayExecByTray 6 4$$+TrayExecByTray 6 5$$+TrayExecByTray 6 6$$+TrayExecByTray 6 7$$+TrayExecByTray 6 8$$+TrayExecByTray 6 9$$+TrayExecByTray 6 9$$+TrayExecByTray 6 8$$+TrayExecByTray 6 7$$+TrayExecByTray 6 6$$+TrayExecByTray 6 5$$+TrayExecByTray 6 4$$+TrayExecByTray 6 3$$+TrayExecByTray 6 2$$+TrayExecByTray 6 1$$+TrayExecByTray 6 0$$
which will make tray 7 autofire when you press space
then on each character enter

code:
/bind_load_file spacebar.txt 
into chat

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 6, 2020

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/wiki/macros

you bind it using the ingame system to put everything into spacebar

TL;DR

Put this into your
Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live
folder as spacebar.txt
code:
Space "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireAll$$+TrayExecByTray 6 0$$+TrayExecByTray 6 1$$+TrayExecByTray 6 2$$+TrayExecByTray 6 3$$+TrayExecByTray 6 4$$+TrayExecByTray 6 5$$+TrayExecByTray 6 6$$+TrayExecByTray 6 7$$+TrayExecByTray 6 8$$+TrayExecByTray 6 9$$+TrayExecByTray 6 9$$+TrayExecByTray 6 8$$+TrayExecByTray 6 7$$+TrayExecByTray 6 6$$+TrayExecByTray 6 5$$+TrayExecByTray 6 4$$+TrayExecByTray 6 3$$+TrayExecByTray 6 2$$+TrayExecByTray 6 1$$+TrayExecByTray 6 0$$
which will make tray 7 autofire when you press space
then on each character enter

code:
/bind_load_file spacebar.txt 
into chat
For pure laziness in pew-pewing, that one works, but putting FireAll into your spam macro does lower your DPS by interrupting firing cycles. It's not as bad as putting DistributeShields in, but it's not great. It's better to have one key to spam* your boff powers and a separate key for FireAll. You can play with the autofire settings if you don't want to have to press the second key too often.

There's also a decent third party program to generate keyboard macros for the game here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sto-keybind/

* This is not starcraft, no one's checking your APM. Pressing it more than once a second or so won't do any good.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Thank you, Tunicate, and thank you g0del, both for the macro advice and the space combat advice earlier.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

g0del posted:

For pure laziness in pew-pewing, that one works, but putting FireAll into your spam macro does lower your DPS by interrupting firing cycles. It's not as bad as putting DistributeShields in, but it's not great. It's better to have one key to spam* your boff powers and a separate key for FireAll. You can play with the autofire settings if you don't want to have to press the second key too often.

There's also a decent third party program to generate keyboard macros for the game here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sto-keybind/

* This is not starcraft, no one's checking your APM. Pressing it more than once a second or so won't do any good.

Do you just take FireAll out for boff powers only?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

fireall will fire all beam/cannon/torp/whatever. If they're set to autofire they'll keep firing

it's only necessary if you don't wanna click on your weapons to enable them at the beginning of the map because :effort:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Tunicate posted:

fireall will fire all beam/cannon/torp/whatever. If they're set to autofire they'll keep firing

it's only necessary if you don't wanna click on your weapons to enable them at the beginning of the map because :effort:

Oh, cool, so if I have them on autofire it doesn't interrupt the cycles?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Oh, cool, so if I have them on autofire it doesn't interrupt the cycles?
Autofire is fine. It's sending the command "HUD_Root FireAll" that interrupts firing cycles. It's not a problem pressing it once at the start of combat, since obviously at that point there is no firing cycle to interrupt. And pressing it occasionally probably won't hurt much. You just don't want to be sending that command every second. If you're curious, you can actually see it. Go to a map where you can shoot but won't immediately die if you're not paying too much attention - one of the easier patrols maybe. Make sure autofire is on, press your fire key once, then watch the little weapons display. You can actually see the weapons go through their firing -> cooldown -> firing cycles. It should be fairly smooth and regular.

Then do the same thing, but instead of pressing the fire key once, spam it. It should be quickly obvious - the smooth cycle is gone, weapons stop firing early and go into cooldown before they should. The end result is that your weapons spend less time shooting than they should, causing a loss of DPS. DistributeShields causes the same problem but worse, and can also interfere with boff ability activation. If you've still got that on your spam key because it was on the hilbert guide 8 years ago, it's time to take it off.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

How do you spend reputation marks like Discovery Marks?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You havw to be level 50, then open your reputation tab (top right).

To unlock the gear you actually want you will need to run daily reputation projects, which turn marks into rep xp, dilithium, and a lovely item you will probably chuck into the replicator.

Once you level up a rep to 5 you will double rep xp gain for all characters on the accoumt

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

galenanorth posted:

How do you spend reputation marks like Discovery Marks?

In the character window there is a “reputations” tab. You invest marks and a nominal amount of resources into daily projects which give you reputation. When you get enough rep points you unlock new tiers of stuff. Definitely do all the daily projects you can as the things you can unlock via reputation are very good and that constitutes the longest grind I am aware of.

Came back to this after being off an on a week or two at a time since 2012, never actually maxed anything out in that time. The other thing I wish I had done back in like 2015 was more duty officer chains as those reward really good duty officers, especially the colonization chains.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

And yeah they threw the Synth Pilot Destroyer into the infinity lockbox and for no reason whatsoever it's Federation-only. Year of the Klingon remains in full force! :toot:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Asimo posted:

And yeah they threw the Synth Pilot Destroyer into the infinity lockbox and for no reason whatsoever it's Federation-only. Year of the Klingon remains in full force! :toot:

So for the Year of Klingon, Klingons have to date gotten exactly 1 (one) new ship. And have had a previously Klingon exclusive ship get made cross-faction for everyone.

Yay.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I mean I can forgive it when they're solely motivated by sale numbers and 90% of the players are feds, but they could at least throw their hands up and remove faction restrictions or something as a token admission of surrender. Instead it's just hilarious how blatantly they're making GBS threads on the klank faction and not even trying to hide it, and revamping some tutorial missions is just shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

As long as they give away those marks as Joint Task Force Operation rewards and have this computer voiced popup explaining how to use the reputation system, that computer-voiced popup or the Reputation page itself really should have included that it's a level 50 feature

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I don't think you understand how bad Cryptic is at UI design. Or well, maybe you do now I guess. :v:

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

You havw to be level 50, then open your reputation tab (top right).

To unlock the gear you actually want you will need to run daily reputation projects, which turn marks into rep xp, dilithium, and a lovely item you will probably chuck into the replicator.

Once you level up a rep to 5 you will double rep xp gain for all characters on the accoumt
If you can, I'd recommend creating a couple of Jem'Hadar characters of different classes. Each one will come with 2 reps already at T5, which unlocks the double rep XP gain for your other chars (I think you have to get them far enough to choose a faction first). Even better is creating a Jem'Hadar Vanguard character if you own the unlock. Vanguard characters start with 3 reps at T5, but even better than that they automatically unlock the double XP for all the reps before Gamma. That's 11 reps sponsored for a 600 zen purchase.

Here's why it matters. It takes 100k rep XP to hit T5, and 250k to get to T6. The daily rep project gives 2.5k XP unsponsored, and 5k when it's sponsored. That means that a new account will take 40 day to hit T5, costing 1225 rep marks, 600k ec, and 80k expertise. Once the account is sponsored in that rep, all those numbers are cut in half. Three weeks to hit T5 is a lot less soul-destroying than 6 weeks.

Getting from T5 to T6 is going to take 30 days, 905 marks, and a bunch of ec and expertise no matter what. But there are some good benefits from it. T6 reps give char-bound vanity shields and one FSM per rep. T6 also unlocks a project that gives an account-wide discount on rep gear. Some of the best gear in the game comes from the rep system, especially the competitive engines and a bunch of stuff from the Disco rep.

It's a great time to start collecting marks, too. The winter event starts tomorrow, and the PVP race lets you start raising winter epohhs, which can be mulched into marks of your choice.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

on alts, once you max out a T5 rep, don't bother upgrading to T6, since you don't care about the benefits. Just leave it at max level T5, because that way you can slot the hourly marks mulcher without having to scroll down

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Seeing the posts about macros, is there a way to bind the autofire all to a button?

I'm using an old macro which has fire all in addition to all my buff abilities but since it lowers dps I should switch off.

So basically I'd like to hit one button to turn on autofire, then just have two other buttons; one for short CD and one for long CD. Is that possible?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

OGS-Remix posted:

Seeing the posts about macros, is there a way to bind the autofire all to a button?

I'm using an old macro which has fire all in addition to all my buff abilities but since it lowers dps I should switch off.

So basically I'd like to hit one button to turn on autofire, then just have two other buttons; one for short CD and one for long CD. Is that possible?

Under Key Binds, I changed it so that Spacebar fires all weapons. Autofire is already on when I log in, so pressing Spacebar after targeting is all I need to do

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Asimo posted:

Pilot maneuvers and intel seating. Time to find a pubbie bio worthy of being an offering for one these

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016

Asimo posted:

They also apparently used pictures of the wrong ship originally:

https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/status/1336097854331359232

For reference, these were the pics in the original blog:

https://imgur.com/a/Bnk8pe2

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

One UI feature I'd like to see from this game is the ability to filter down to only the Task Force Operations that fit the theme of the arc of episodic content you're currently playing through, so that they could be easier play in order and in context

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Re: autofiring, there is a setting in controls that can mess with you specifically regarding resetting autofire when you change targets. It took me far too long to figure that out.

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

greasythepirate posted:

They also apparently used pictures of the wrong ship originally:

https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/status/1336097854331359232

For reference, these were the pics in the original blog:

https://imgur.com/a/Bnk8pe2

Apparently they accidentally leaked their next promo ship lol. That previous ship they said they had "plans" for so we all know what that means.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OGS-Remix posted:

Easy way is to just use multiple keys, so something like

code:
Space "GenSendMessage TrayExecByTray 6 0$$+TrayExecByTray 6 1$$+TrayExecByTray 6 2$$+TrayExecByTray 6 3$$+TrayExecByTray 6 4$$+TrayExecByTray 6 5$$+TrayExecByTray 6 6$$+TrayExecByTray 6 7$$+TrayExecByTray 6 8$$+TrayExecByTray 6 9$$+TrayExecByTray 6 9$$+TrayExecByTray 6 8$$+TrayExecByTray 6 7$$+TrayExecByTray 6 6$$+TrayExecByTray 6 5$$+TrayExecByTray 6 4$$+TrayExecByTray 6 3$$+TrayExecByTray 6 2$$+TrayExecByTray 6 1$$+TrayExecByTray 6 0$$

Z  "GenSendMessage HUD_Root FireAll$$

X "GenSendMessage TrayExecByTray 7 0$$+TrayExecByTray 7 1$$+TrayExecByTray 7 2$$+TrayExecByTray 7 3$$+TrayExecByTray 7 4$$+TrayExecByTray 7 5$$+TrayExecByTray 7 6$$+TrayExecByTray 7 7$$+TrayExecByTray 7 8$$+TrayExecByTray 7 9$$+TrayExecByTray 7 9$$+TrayExecByTray 7 8$$+TrayExecByTray 7 7$$+TrayExecByTray 7 6$$+TrayExecByTray 7 5$$+TrayExecByTray 7 4$$+TrayExecByTray 7 3$$+TrayExecByTray 7 2$$+TrayExecByTray 7 1$$+TrayExecByTray 7 0$$

Which should (I have not tested it) put your bar 7 powers on space, your bar 8 powers on X, and 'fire all weapons' on z

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asimo posted:

Not the worst escort in game. Maybe it'll drive some sales for people who liked that one scene.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

galenanorth posted:

One UI feature I'd like to see from this game is the ability to filter down to only the Task Force Operations that fit the theme of the arc of episodic content you're currently playing through, so that they could be easier play in order and in context

Doesn't the game already do that by sorting TFOs based off the marks they reward?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Marshal Radisic posted:

Doesn't the game already do that by sorting TFOs based off the marks they reward?

Pretty much. I think people won't know that though unless they're already familiar with the content as it's not spelled out directly.

Then you get stuff like Miner Madness (or whatever its called, the one where you team up with gorn to shoot space elves in TOS) which features romulans but awards temporal marks instead. For a fair reason but if you play it without doing the episodes first you'd be wondering why.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Well, they nerfed the Ba'ul AP build I was working towards. I assume I can still run it and be fine, or do I reclaim my spiral wave disruptors and start switching?