Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I don’t think I’ve handled any coins since April

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

TACD posted:

The man at Costcutter has started saying “It’s full” and throwing the coins back in the till whenever anyone tells him to put it in the charity box. It may not be coincidence that he tried to give me £11 change all in coins.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Coinvid-19

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It does make me laugh paying with 'contactless' at the supermarket wherein I have to press the touch screen to select scan and go, again to confirm order, again to select pay by contactless, say no to cash back, say yes/no to receipt.

I really hope we can transition to demolition man levels of contactless payment/greeting/cashless for good.

Man that film was eerily prophetic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I am no longer welcome at Skegness after an incident with the seashells.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The hell supermarket are you going to? Tesco doesn't even need you to select contactless, you just tap ready to pay, scan your card and gently caress off.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

I am no longer welcome at Skegness after an incident with the seashells.

did you try to use them like in 1990s smash hit hollywood film demolition man?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The hell supermarket are you going to? Tesco doesn't even need you to select contactless, you just tap ready to pay, scan your card and gently caress off.

asdurs self service tills do like OP said

asdurs self service tills last Christmas added a £4 "pork belly" to the end of my bill. I have never bought meat and haven't eaten it in over 20 years. They didn't know how it happened :/

crispix fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 8, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I believe it is Waitrose at the (card only) self-checkouts. Have to do the same in my Waitrose (which is 3 mins walk from my home and cheaper than the Co-Op before you send me to the wall). You have to press it to start it working.

I try to avoid the self-checkouts as I prefer to keep people in jobs but given the absolutely humongous size of the trolleys people are queuing up with at the personed tills, I've given in in the past 3 months and started using the self-checkouts most of the time.

crispix posted:

did you try to use them like in 1990s smash hit hollywood film demolition man?

asdurs self service tills do like OP said

asdurs self service tills last Christmas added a £4 "pork belly" to the end of my bill. I have never bought meat and haven't eaten it in over 20 years. They didn't know how it happened :/

I postulate that someone swapped the label for a £4 pork belly with that of a 50p bag of bananas or some such.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 8, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Self service at Sainsburys still has a ton of prompts you need to click. I tend to use the back of my knuckle but you still need to tap to select card, select what bags you used, and I'm pretty sure there's at least one other thing you need to touch.

I always find their system funny because it'll yell every prompt at you in super clear well spoken English, and then whisper "D'you need a receipt" like it's asking if I need something for the weekend. Then back to full volume when it tells you to take your items and gently caress off.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is that one of those new local authorities they created?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Scan while you shop is the way to go folks. You bag it all up as you go around the supermarket and there’s never any real queues, and it saves an absurd amount of time.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Scan while you shop is the way to go folks. You bag it all up as you go around the supermarket and there’s never any real queues, and it saves an absurd amount of time.

I did that recently and it was pretty good. It does transfer the labour from the checkout attendant to the customer but self service machines do that anyway.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I feel for the person they have near the doors who has to challenge people who aren't wearing masks. You just know they're going to have at least a dozen GUBMINT WANNA INJEYACT ME WIH GAY NANAMACHINES WAKE UP SHEEPLE wingnuts every day

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

It does make me laugh paying with 'contactless' at the supermarket wherein I have to press the touch screen to select scan and go, again to confirm order, again to select pay by contactless, say no to cash back, say yes/no to receipt.

I really hope we can transition to demolition man levels of contactless payment/greeting/cashless for good.

Man that film was eerily prophetic.

China style with facial recognition. You smile at the camera and it debits your account.

(Also forwards receipts to the CCP so they know all your crisp proclivities.)

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Yeah it's great. On the one hand yes I am doing their work for them but it means you can just bag stuff properly as you shop, pay, and load it straight in your car.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i say we go one step further and consume the products in the stores :catstare:

so much time we'll save

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just skip the whole thing imo

Artificial human turd in a plastic tray, microwave to body temperature and place in toilet.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/BeaRios_/status/1336237658981470209?s=19

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

Artificial human turd in a plastic tray, microwave to body temperature

but enough about the food at wetherspoons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

crispix posted:

Maybe it was just offering an opinion.

Now that Ocado have started taking the bags back life has basically returned to normal.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1336228541135015936?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

but enough about owner of wetherspoons
:hmmyes:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TACD posted:

I handled coins this morning as I made sure I had money for the bus so I can do Christmas shopping

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I heard a rumour that the burger in spoons is actually p good

haven't been in to confirm yet

Mebh
May 10, 2010

ASDA and I use the phone app to scan everything as I shop. You still need to go through all those prompts at the scan and go tills though because gently caress everything.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

I feel for the person they have near the doors who has to challenge people who aren't wearing masks. You just know they're going to have at least a dozen GUBMINT WANNA INJEYACT ME WIH GAY NANAMACHINES WAKE UP SHEEPLE wingnuts every day
Overheard one of them as I went into the mini sainsburys round the corner. Stood by the tills area lecturing anyone dumb enough to make eye contact about 'his mate, bin a virologist for 40 year, says masks dan do naffink.'

Went to co-op instead, can't be arsed with that.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This is the most pathetic thing I’ve ever seen.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1336253735287332864?s=19

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

forkboy84 posted:

I handled coins this morning as I made sure I had money for the bus so I can do Christmas shopping

you need better buses mate, can’t think when i last paid a bus fare with anything that wasn’t contactless

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Some are born immune, some achieve immunity, and some have immunity thrust into them

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I tried that last week. Half way through my shop in Supervalu, just after I had gotten a video call from my wife, the scanner crashed and refused to scan anything else. It was like it couldn't connect to the wifi.

It meant when I got to the end I had to use the self scan machines and start from the beginning. And still hand the scanning gun back to staff.

Also I've heard tons about how we have gone cashless for Covid, but I've seen tons of places still accepting cash.
In fact for the first few months all my Pandemic Unemployment Payments were been given to me in cash.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Sainsburys scan on your phone as you go setup is slick as hell, but I still find it hard to shake the feeling that I'm doing something criminal when shoving food into my rucksack as I walk round the shop.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
are you scanning it?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Talking of tech and contactless, when I use deliveroo I tip via the app as I don't have cash, is this an awful idea?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/andrewfeinstein/status/1336102151945383942?s=19

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The good chip shop still insists on cash only but they do have a person just working the till and taking orders with zero contact with the food so it's probably not as bad as it could be.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Borrovan posted:

I heard a rumour that the burger in spoons is actually p good

haven't been in to confirm yet

I have eaten a burger in spoons and it was p bad, hope that helps

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Question IRL posted:

"Lay on Nurse Macduff.
And damned be he that first cries "Vax! Enough!"

By the pricking of my arms, vaccination this way comes.

(And I'm positively shocked that nobody best me to that one.)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

notaspy posted:

Talking of tech and contactless, when I use deliveroo I tip via the app as I don't have cash, is this an awful idea?

Deliveroo don't take a cut if that's the issue. I would prefer not to have to handle the cash at the door and carry it around if I were the rider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
[Enter Murderers]
What are these faces?
First Murderer Where is your husband?
LADY MACDUFF I hope, in no place so unsanctified Where such as thou mayst find him.
First Murderer He's a traitor.
Son Thou liest, thou shag-hair'd villain!
Jessflaps: What, you egg!
[Stabbing him in the front]
Young fry of treachery!
Son She has kill'd me, mother: Run away, I pray you!
[Dies]