Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Doctor Jeep posted:

maybe there are more important gauges of quality of life than how much meat you eat

???????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

you will eat:

- beans
- bugs
- aquaphonic fish (once per month)
- aquaphonic lettuce
- cum

and you will like it

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I think pigs and chickens are good when you have a few out the back that you toss your scraps to and they turn them into more protein.

Mass farmed anything seems to have problems.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Doctor Jeep posted:

maybe there are more important gauges of quality of life than how much meat you eat

if anything all meat diet sounds like hell
https://twitter.com/dennisbhooper/status/1331362331218112513?s=20

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

T-man posted:

you will eat:

- beans
- bugs
- aquaphonic fish (once per month)
- aquaphonic lettuce
- cum

and you will like it

Yes ma'am

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

imagine being a medieval peasant only allowed to eat meat once every month for the feast day of some obscure saint and being transported to the future and being told that in the future, nobody is allowed to eat meat

i mean yeah, meat is a luxury and excessive meat-eating is bad and unsustainable, but all I ask is that my life is strictly better than a medieval peasant's.

Yes, meat is the one thing that separates you from the life of a medieval serf.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

starkebn posted:

I think pigs and chickens are good when you have a few out the back that you toss your scraps to and they turn them into more protein.

Mass farmed anything seems to have problems.

Pigs are cool as gently caress as a pet but they're literally worthless as a small scale sustainable food source. They don't make eggs and if you are raising enough pigs to eat you are already stressed as gently caress trying to wrangle pigs and probably should just get something else. Chickens seem fine and pretty sustainable on a small scale if you really need meat. Easy to murder too which is something that really is the hardest thing about keeping anything for meat. I would love a house cow for milk but the economics are completely wack and I refuse to straight up gank a cow I've essentially kept like the vampires in blade kept humans

Jezza of OZPOS has issued a correction as of 11:00 on Dec 8, 2020

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Pigs are cool as gently caress as a pet but they're literally worthless as a small scale sustainable food source. They don't make eggs and if you are raising enough pigs to eat you are already stressed as gently caress trying to wrangle pigs and probably should just get something else. Chickens seem fine and pretty sustainable on a small scale if you really need meat. Easy to murder too which is something that really is the hardest thing about keeping anything for meat. I would love a house cow for milk but the economics are completely wack and I refuse to straight up gank a cow I've essentially kept like the vampires in blade kept humans

Goats are cows on a smaller scale, I've come to understand.

But I agree, I have a friend who has a pig and even one pig is a lot.

Shit Fuckasaurus has issued a correction as of 11:39 on Dec 8, 2020

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, meat is the one thing that separates you from the life of a medieval serf.

If anything the serfs had it better at least their landlords had to make some small token gestures to not start a peasant revolt.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Weembles posted:

Do they still call a cell phone a "handy?"

I once had this dumb loving english lesson in uni that I had to attend despite being fully fluent. The substitute teacher insisted 'handy' was a common word in use in English, and we had to make an essay for homework and send it to her for grading picking one concept from the lesson.

So I made an essay about phones where I exclusively used 'handy', except it was all innuendo about handjobs. Perfect grade baby

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shima Honnou posted:

If anything the serfs had it better at least their landlords had to make some small token gestures to not start a peasant revolt.

how droll

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Plastik posted:

Goats are cows on a smaller scale, I've come to understand.

But I agree, I have a friend who has a pig and even one pig is a lot.

One of the main reasons I haven't seriously considered keeping a house cow is that it's hard to reconcile how loving dumb cows are and how much of that is intentional breeding on our part. At least goats are spirited and feel like an actual animal, hence why a friendly cow named daisy I suck off on the daily for sweet sweet milk invokes a creepy vampire movie instead of something wholesome like Babe.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

The way for a small holder to do it is to buy a tiny piglet in the spring. Feed it whatever all summer. Slaughter it in the fall. You don't even have to slaughter it yourself, the town butcher can do it.

Pigs are like dogs, they'll eat anything. Anything. You can have a pig toilet, an outhouse mounted over a pig sty. Turn your poop back into food. This is of course a terrible idea that encourages parasites. And the pig might bite your delicate bits while it has the chance.

But just look how happy that man is.

necroid
May 14, 2009

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

One of the main reasons I haven't seriously considered keeping a house cow is that it's hard to reconcile how loving dumb cows are and how much of that is intentional breeding on our part. At least goats are spirited and feel like an actual animal, hence why a friendly cow named daisy I suck off on the daily for sweet sweet milk invokes a creepy vampire movie instead of something wholesome like Babe.

mmm I wonder what might have an effect on that

the average person's perception of intelligence in animals is very skewed to favor animals like cats and dogs who on average are just as dumb or sometimes even dumber than some of their farmed counterparts

pigs are really loving intelligent, just like octopuses and other animals that we breed and torture to inhuman excesses just to stuff our faces

e : here have some dumb happy cows

necroid has issued a correction as of 12:11 on Dec 8, 2020

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

My wife's schizophrenic father who lives off grid swears pigs can eat human poo poo and it won't spread disease back to humans if you don't eat them but also whenever he wears shoes he stuffs his socks with garlic and he believes in angels so I am unsure how much to trust him

necroid posted:

pigs are really loving intelligent, just like octopuses and other animals that we breed and torture to inhuman excesses just to stuff our faces

This is a weird response to 'cows are dumb as poo poo' fwiw, sure those are all way smarter animals than cows. Not sure what your point is.

Jezza of OZPOS has issued a correction as of 12:12 on Dec 8, 2020

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

My wife's schizophrenic father who lives off grid swears pigs can eat human poo poo and it won't spread disease back to humans if you don't eat them but also whenever he wears shoes he stuffs his socks with garlic and he believes in angels so I am unsure how much to trust him

Tape worms aren't exactly a disease, right?

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/cysti...0human%20feces.

quote:

What is the relationship between human tapeworm and porcine (pig) cysticercosis?
Humans get the tapeworm infection after eating raw or undercooked pork contaminated with cysts of T. solium. When swallowed the cysts pass through the stomach and attach to the lining of the small intestine. In the small intestine the cysts develop into adult tapeworms over about two months.

Where is cysticercosis found?
Cysticercosis is found worldwide. Infection is found most often in rural areas of developing countries where pigs are allowed to roam freely and eat human feces and where hygiene practices are poor. Cysticercosis is rare in people who live in countries where pigs do not have contact with human feces. People can sometimes get cysticercosis even if they have never traveled outside of the United States.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Am I misreading that or does that specifically state you need to eat the pig meat? Either way I have a normal human toilet so it's not relevant

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Am I misreading that or does that specifically state you need to eat the pig meat? Either way I have a normal human toilet so it's not relevant

I'm not trying to kink shame, but why would have have pigs hanging around and eating your poop if you weren't going to eat them?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

This is a weird response to 'cows are dumb as poo poo' fwiw, sure those are all way smarter animals than cows. Not sure what your point is.

cows, along with a bunch of other domesticated food animals, aren't really that dumb. they're comparable with dogs and cats, at least.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Would if help if I phrased it as 'imo cows are dumb as poo poo'

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

imagine being a medieval peasant only allowed to eat meat once every month for the feast day of some obscure saint and being transported to the future and being told that in the future, nobody is allowed to eat meat

i mean yeah, meat is a luxury and excessive meat-eating is bad and unsustainable, but all I ask is that my life is strictly better than a medieval peasant's.

Imagine needing to eat meat to feel superior to some hypothetical medieval peasant when it's trivial for you to almost entirely forego animal products while also enjoying quality of life several bazillion times better than said peasant.

While you're imagining stuff, maybe imagine being a cow under capitalism. It makes working at Foxconn look like a job at the cracker factory.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
imagine all of you shutting the gently caress up and posting funny capitalism pictures

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

For the nerd, diet is performative so no.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

dex_sda posted:

I once had this dumb loving english lesson in uni that I had to attend despite being fully fluent. The substitute teacher insisted 'handy' was a common word in use in English, and we had to make an essay for homework and send it to her for grading picking one concept from the lesson.

So I made an essay about phones where I exclusively used 'handy', except it was all innuendo about handjobs. Perfect grade baby

you must have a lot of fun when you call over a handyman

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

you must have a lot of fun when you call over a handyman

heheheh it's a man who does handjobs heheh

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oneiros posted:

cows, along with a bunch of other domesticated food animals, aren't really that dumb. they're comparable with dogs and cats, at least.

My cat's real fuckin' dumb though. Like real fuckin' dumb.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
my dog lacks object permanence but remembers the spot on the ground it almost nabbed a chicken wing four years ago

animal brains are hilarious

PuErhTeabag
Sep 2, 2018

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

From what I remember, pigs are more efficient than cows at turning food/water into meat by like an order of magnitude.

They are happy to eat food scraps and there are some breeds that will eat grass. Most breeds are really good at rooting up ground, which can be useful for farmers wanting to turn over a field.

In my personal experience, cows are very sweet animals that make friendships with each other and generally like humans. Pigs are also intelligent, but the ones I've worked with lacked empathy for one another or other animals.

I think that if everyone had to be more involved in their foodchain, most people would eat less meat.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

https://twitter.com/spieltimes/status/1336324950601297920

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
We have to eat pigs because if we dont they'll eat us first, they lust for violence

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PuErhTeabag posted:

From what I remember, pigs are more efficient than cows at turning food/water into meat by like an order of magnitude.

The last time I looked it up the rough estimates of food energy input required for each calorie output was like 3-4x for chickens, 8-10x for pigs, and 50-60x for cows, though it's another one of those things that varies a ton based on what specifically you're talking about, how you measure it, and whether or not you accept the whole one-to-one calorie comparison (it's not like humans can just straight up eat grass like a cow can, for example)

e: Also insects were around the same as chickens so I don't know if I buy the people who say we'll all be eating crickets and grubs in the future.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

(it's not like humans can just straight up eat grass like a cow can, for example)

Grass is for smoking, not for eating.

Stupid cows. Wasting good pot like that.

They deserve to be ate. :colbert:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

This one made me lol

https://twitter.com/hogan773/status/1336349234946330624

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Plastik posted:

Google is cool and all but can you imagine actually reading the thing you posted before you posted it so you don't accidentally find yourself in a situation where you post a collection of articles that ignore the water cost of beef in favor of making the water cost of milk absurd, you know, like I said in text in the post you quoted?

Four and a half gallons per gallon is absurd on its face.

Forgive me for not checking the against a genuine Pantone color chart when told “the sky is green”.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Drake no: Sucking off a Daisy the Cow

Drake yes: Sucking off Billy the Goat

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Bismuth posted:

We have to eat pigs because if we dont they'll eat us first, they lust for violence

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Bismuth posted:

wow i never knew pigs were capitalists

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PuErhTeabag posted:

They are happy to eat food scraps and there are some breeds that will eat grass. Most breeds are really good at rooting up ground, which can be useful for farmers wanting to turn over a field.

In my personal experience, cows are very sweet animals that make friendships with each other and generally like humans. Pigs are also intelligent, but the ones I've worked with lacked empathy for one another or other animals.

I think that if everyone had to be more involved in their foodchain, most people would eat less meat.
Pigs have empathy, but they're also smart enough to develop cognitive and emotional disorders from unsuitable living conditions.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean so do chickens. Look up vent pecking next time you want some body horror.

Fun fact: vent pecking is more likely to occur in free range chickens, cuz apparently if you give a chicken freedom it immediately tries to cannibalize another chicken through its cloaca.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

In conclusion, the real reason you should be vegan is because farm animals are unholy monsters of artificial selection that never should have existed and we need to destroy them all. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.