Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

didn't the guy who did that to kurt eichenwald get criminal charges

edit: sending seizure trigger videos, for context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

SeXReX posted:

Does monster hunter have a lore friendly buttplug mod or is that just skyrim

If you are looking for buttplug mods I hear Resident Evil has you covered.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jay Rust posted:

Find yourself a partner who defends you like gamers defend multimillion video games

i think people in general suck. and modern tech just facilitates making that known.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I like how the cyberpunk thread waited until the mods were asleep to go back to smug metaposting about how bad the thread is, mere hours after a mod said explicitly to cut it out

Gotta defend CDPR against those meanies lol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Now Sony finally gets to put their photosensitive epilepsy splash screen warnings to good use.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Walla posted:

So I think my GotY just may be Baten Kaitos. I grabbed a ROM to throw on my Wii U because I heard a lot of hype about it and holy poo poo where has this been for the past 17 years? gently caress porting lovely Wii U games to the Switch, this needs to be experienced by every gamer. I'm barely out of the starting area and I only stopped because the tablet battery started to die.

It's about time that someone else has seen the light.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Lmao the seizure poo poo, I don't see any way for people to defe-

[sees goons defending it]

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rinkles posted:

i think people in general suck. and modern tech just facilitates making that known.

People who continually insist that they're above having an emotional reaction to video games bind up their entire existence into the perceived success or failure of a video game, thereby making themselves the easiest people in the world to make fun of.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

after getting my rear end kicked into the dirt in the doom eternal DLC earlier i relaxed a bit with Raft, only to get mad at the stupid loving shark again just like always.

so then i decided to finally install Hades and i had a good time making the chairs vibrate

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ometeotl posted:

It's about time that someone else has seen the light.

Baten Kaitos owns. I’m still miffed we never got the sequel in Europe.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The real cyberpunk... is Project Wingman

Edit: I should be running Shadowplay or something because the screenshot does not capture how cool it is to blast an air cruiser and quickly dip to zoom right past as the wreckage breaks up in midair

Like even with Squadrons having the power of the Star Wars license I am having so much more fun flying around here, maybe it's the atmosphere

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 8, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Shot: CDPR

Chaser:

https://twitter.com/yususcreammail/status/1336158017453092864

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
are video game companies the bad guys

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sharing this post from the CP77 thread cause it says my thoughts as a trans woman on the game's trans representation in better words than I could use

Endorph posted:

1) If it's the gritty sci-fi future, wouldn't anyone have any voice they wanted and have it be completely disconnected from their conception of gender? why would a magical future where anyone can have a massive hog suddenly be gender essentialist about a person's voice? Like, shouldn't there be women going around sounding like darth vader and poo poo? It's just another 'mod,' a way of making yourself distinct, which seems like something the society in the setting is all for.

2) The concept of voice equalling your gender is an old transphobic trope. Obviously just hearing a man's voice, without any other context and going 'oh, that's a man' isn't transphobic, it's just the result of socialization, but think of the trope of a sexy lady but... oh no! they're a tranny! and then they have the gravelly voice of a guy who smokes, or something. And it's still something that's used to discriminate against trans people today. Recently there was a big blowup where some female streamer had a 'women only' channel in their discord, and the method to 'prove' you were a woman was voice chat. Specifically as a way to weed out transwomen.

3) In real life, most trans people have to train their voices incredibly hard to 'pass' vocally, and there's people who just can't manage it. Even if it makes sense in universe, Cyberpunk 2077 is a game that exists in real life. It's reasonable those people would want to play a character who matches their experiences. And again, see point 1.

4) It kind of betrays how shoddily implemented the trans stuff is. The actual reason for this 'choice' is they didn't want to have to rewrite dialogue where the male/female voice protag refers to themselves as male/female. This is pretty solidly proven by the fact that you can get dialogue referencing your dick/pussy even if you don't have one, and the fact that sex scenes are animated based on your gender, not your genitals. (Which is another instance where some kind of choice would be fairly easy to implement and improve the ability to roleplay a lot.)

I'm not saying the game is a monolithic tribute to transphobia just that it's kinda lame and lazy, and betrays a misunderstanding of the issue. I don't think that's an unreasonable criticism.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

cheetah7071 posted:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

It's a shame because I'm both trans and also like the biggest William Gibson fan ever but apparently not cool enough for the CDPRBOYZ

:(

William Gibson came to give a talk at our school when I was about 12. I had no idea who he was :smith:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Remember when that pokemon episode gave people seizures

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Remember when that pokemon episode gave people seizures

Pikachu was the villain all along.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

CottonWolf posted:

Pikachu was the villain all along.

Actually sir i think you'll find it was porygon

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

wuggles posted:

The person who wrote the GI article is being sent seizure-inducing videos because gamers rock

https://twitter.com/DirtyEffinHippy/status/1336204870970433536?s=20

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck these vile inhuman parasitic piles of regurgitated bile and raw garbage.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Actually sir i think you'll find it was porygon

Malicious lies from the anti-Porygon faction. It was the Porygon episode, but Pikachu was the cause.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CottonWolf posted:

Malicious lies from the anti-Porygon faction. It was the Porygon episode, but Pikachu was the cause.

Wow and yet Nintendo continues to promote this villain. First Melee and now this, is nothing sacred?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKeoVO5jNxE

It's a chao garden hack for mario 64

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

Find yourself a partner who defends you like gamers defend multimillion video games

God no. I want a partner who is supportive and funny, not a vindictive troll who will seize any opportunity to cause havoc in my name.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLEZbXAGPS8

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I despised this goddamn thing

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Good to see Pokemon anime voice actors branching out.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP8bVpNHgW4&t=152s

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The real cyberpunk... is Project Wingman

Edit: I should be running Shadowplay or something because the screenshot does not capture how cool it is to blast an air cruiser and quickly dip to zoom right past as the wreckage breaks up in midair

Like even with Squadrons having the power of the Star Wars license I am having so much more fun flying around here, maybe it's the atmosphere

How does it compare to Ace Combat 7, if you've played it? I saw Project Wingman appear on Steam and it looked good, but I haven't heard anything about it, so I'm not sure what to think of it. It does look interesting though

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Project Wingman is every bit as good as AC7, except that the subtitles need another editing pass. It's seriously great.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

He named the smart Yoshi “Cuck”.

Mall Santa Metis posted:

didn't the guy who did that to kurt eichenwald get criminal charges

edit: sending seizure trigger videos, for context

Yeah, and I think he had to pay Kurt a hefty sum of money too. I feel like that would be precedent for “this person knows I have epilepsy and sent me a video with the intent of causing me to have a seizure” cases.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

Project Wingman is every bit as good as AC7, except that the subtitles need another editing pass. It's seriously great.

Oh, well that's great to hear! I'll have to keep an eye out in the coming weeks then, to see if it gets a slight discount

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

doingitwrong posted:

God no. I want a partner who is supportive and funny, not a vindictive troll who will seize any opportunity to cause havoc in my name.

They mean find you a partner who will defend you to the death until you say one thing they don't like, then you're persona non grata forever

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Walla posted:

So I think my GotY just may be Baten Kaitos. I grabbed a ROM to throw on my Wii U because I heard a lot of hype about it and holy poo poo where has this been for the past 17 years? gently caress porting lovely Wii U games to the Switch, this needs to be experienced by every gamer. I'm barely out of the starting area and I only stopped because the tablet battery started to die.

baten kaitos slaps, just please for the love of gaming do not attempt to 100% it and also feel free to turn the voice acting off

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Everything I have heard or seen about Cyberpunk 2077 in the last couple days has made me want to play it less. It sounds like a perfectly average open-worlder with some awful elements that are being vehemently defended by awful people. I just don't want anything to do with it at all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

That menu you speak of is where I saw so many “undiscovered” events.
Right. What I probably should have elaborated on is that it will populate those lists for each character even when you see scenes in other character's routes, and thus you can see what the "linear" timeline for each person ostensibly looks like.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CDPR: "We've got this headset in our game and we're gonna model it on a real medical device."

Oh cool, that sounds neat. What's it do?

CDPR: "The real medical device? Triggers epileptic seizures intentionally for diagnostic purposes."

Wow. What's it do in-game?

CDPR: "Oh, same thing. Just turns your whole screen into a seizure machine."

So, uh, there's gonna be a warning or something, right? Maybe an option to skip it?

CDPR: "What? Haha, no."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i was getting vague alarm bells in the last couple months of cyberpunk's PR where every new bit of info concerned some inane celebrity cameo or endorsement instead of how it plays

same kind of thing happened with RDR2 now that i think about it, but at least that game let me go on some lovely nature hikes

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

cheetah7071 posted:

This has definitely been a month for video game companies showing their rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I'll buy it on sale when the next gen version is out and they've fixed a lot of bugs