Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

peanut- posted:

Just cost sadly, it's not economic to do tagging below the pallet level. The single digit margin on most food can't absorb the price of RFID tags.

Generally most stores I know have a rule of don't security tag anything less than £5 because otherwise it costs more for the tags than it prevents in theft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

stev posted:

I did that in Co-Op and hated it. I'm conditioned to feel like a criminal if I can't physically show a person/machine that I haven't got anything in my bag that I haven't paid it.

I did that for a while at Tesco and then they banned me from doing it for no obvious reason (like, pick up the handset and it told me to phone Tesco or something)

:shrug: I'm often buying booze so someone's going to come over anyway so I might as well do it the normal way.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

When I was briefly homeless I'd go into Sainsbury as soon as it opened every morning, have a wash in the men's room, then just brazenly fill my pockets with fruit & give the security guy a friendly hello on the way out

I think people just aren't paid enough to give a poo poo about shoplifters

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

They were once throwing lots of bread out in Tesco so I started to eat it and they wrestled the bread out of my hands and threw me out of the shop. I can't help but feel if I was sober at the time that my eating of the bread would have gone much better.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Oh yeah technically I handle coins every time I go to ASDA for to like get the shopping trolley out with a pound and everything am I going to get the COVIDs :ohdear:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

TACD posted:

I remember being promised that all groceries were going to have RFID chips embedded in the packaging so we could walk directly out of the store and have our shopping automagically scanned and charged. Whatever happened to that? :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV5DqxgW764

Amazon are currently operating 27 "Go" convenience stores (with 10-30 coming to the UK "soon") that use a combination of RFID tags and a metric fuckton of cameras to do checkoutless-commerce. They're now testing a larger variant that uses baskets/trollies for your weekly shop with an eye to selling the tech to other store operators (Microsoft and Walmart have a partnership to do the same thing).

Judging by some YouTube videos featuring intolerable 'influencers' they might be quite easy to steal from - assuming your ok with getting permabanned from Amazon. Personally I wouldn't risk it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Go

E; I guess it's worth mentioning these shops sell almost exclusively own-brand/white label goods which I guess gives them more control over margins than some other stores (beyond just being Amazon in general)

blunt fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 8, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

you need better buses mate, can’t think when i last paid a bus fare with anything that wasn’t contactless

Cash payments were basically gone on London buses at the beginning of the year, covid killed them off for good.

It's so ridiculous how far ahead of the rest of the country TfL is, and yet nationalising public transport beyond The Trains doesn't ever seem to get even a mention. I think there was some vague noises in the 2019 Labour manifesto about improving bus services, but even that seemed a bit half-hearted.

I know technically London public transport is one big PPP, but you'd think if anything that would get the neolibs behind it because it's about the only one in the history of the wretched system that's worked. Maybe it's because all of the bits that actually made money for the private seconter were also all the worst bits (tube track and rolling stock maintenance, Overground rollout) and TfL - under Boris Johnson! - in-housed them all, and the bits still in private hands - mostly the buses - are so heavily regulated that "innovations" are completely impossible so the system mostly just works. Not that it's perfect, by any means (Crossrail is going for the Brandenburg Airport record, for a start) but it's closer to working than just about anything in this poo poo country.

Do Manchester, Liverpool et. al. even have the *option* of a TfL-like system? I'm guessing probably not because a lot of the big capex projects were started with central Government funding when Johnson was mayor and the Tories felt like they had a chance of actually turning London blue, or at least purple (notably the central Government subsidies stopped in 2016, and previously-agreed large capex projects (Crossrail 2, Bakerloo Line extension, Overground takeover of London Bridge commuter lines) all suddenly got austeritied for... some reason. I'm guessing it's theoretically possible under a future Labour government but the shower of shits at the top of the party definitely won't want to risk making King Across The Water Andy Burnham look good.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Even after this pandemic is over can we keep masks madatory on public transport? Especially during Winter

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Cash payments were basically gone on London buses at the beginning of the year, covid killed them off for good.

They've been cashless for years now haven't they?
Fun London Bus Driver fact: There is only 2 types: Decent ones who'll let you off on things, and absolute miseryguts, like the one who wanted me to get off last Thursday as (unknowingly) my Oyster didn't have enough cash on it. Yeah chill mate til I get my bankcard out.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Even after this pandemic is over can we keep masks madatory on public transport? Especially during Winter

they're mandatory now, people still don't wear them. buses are full of people spraying away and blasting boogers and disease everywhere

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
As a retail puppet I used to stop shoplifters until I got my leg snapped in three places. If someone asks me why I don't try to stop them I just show them the scar on my leg :v:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Jose posted:

lol have you ever actually been in a supermarket?

Yes I have.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

kecske posted:

they're mandatory now, people still don't wear them. buses are full of people spraying away and blasting boogers and disease everywhere

I bet as it gets colder then people will realise the benefits of having face coverings without the hassle of a full scarf. I reckon we'll see an increase from this winter onwards.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Not until they stop making my glasses steam up so I can't see anything.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Songbearer posted:

As a retail puppet I used to stop shoplifters until I got my leg snapped in three places. If someone asks me why I don't try to stop them I just show them the scar on my leg :v:

Sounds horrible, in a sane world he would have run off and smashed in the CEO of Sainsburys or whatever

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Not until they stop making my glasses steam up so I can't see anything.

Put a band aid on the bridge of your nose.

Or for a more straightforward approach, get the kind of KN95s I have that have a lil bit of foam at the bridge of your nose. Comfier and no steaming in my experience

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Hong Kong public transport is my only real experience of "Big City" public transport and it's amazing how different it is in comparison to the UK. Buses are on time and cheap and you can pay contactless everywhere, and even though there's like 5 different bus companies they all use the same contactless money system (and you can use it in shops or at vending machines or basically anywhere it's almost a debit card).

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So early signs that the UK is prepared to backdown to reach a Brexit deal.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-u...otocol-12155176

Now even if this had always been the plan as part of a negotiation tactic to "get a better deal" it was still a stupid plan as the UK will never be trusted again when it comes to legal obligations.
Reputations, they take a lifetime to build, a minute to destroy as they taught me in Ethics class.

Now even if the Government is prepared to make a deal they still might have left it to late to get it all sorted.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Gets worse:

https://www.thejc.com/comment/opinion/by-adopting-ihra-universities-would-show-leadership-on-tackling-antisemitism-1.509413

quote:

I am pleased to say that this is a cross-party issue. The Office for Students – the regulatory body for UK universities – has announced that it will explore what practical steps can be taken to ensure wider adoption of the IHRA definition across universities. This includes the possibility of placing further conditions on funding. I sincerely hope such unwelcome action is not needed, and that universities recognise that failing to adopt the definition is letting down their students, staff and the wider communities that they serve.

etc

Article author Kate Green is the Shadow Education secretary.

Can you imagine the outcry if universities were banned from discussing human rights outrages committed in any other country?

This constant framing of being anti the actions of the govt of the state of Israel as being synonymous with being anti Jewish is beyond a joke.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 8, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Goldskull posted:

They've been cashless for years now haven't they?
Fun London Bus Driver fact: There is only 2 types: Decent ones who'll let you off on things, and absolute miseryguts, like the one who wanted me to get off last Thursday as (unknowingly) my Oyster didn't have enough cash on it. Yeah chill mate til I get my bankcard out.

Some routes went cashless in... 2012, I think? Around then. They expanded from the original "Terminate at Oxford Street or Trafalgar Square" as they rolled out ticket vending machines (the original justification was to reduce dwell time in the West End), but it was still less than half of the total routes - basically only the ones that went into Zone 1 - by the time they started accepting contactless in 2014, which is when they "officially" went cashless. However most operators would still accept cash fares (no change given) right up to this year - it was notable that removing the cash tray was part of the half-arsed anti-coronavirus adaptations they made when bus drivers had a worse covid death rate than any other profession.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Dead Goon posted:

So you can gently caress about scanning and bagging things while other people are trying to get stuff from the shelves you're stood in front of?

Eh? The process of taking something off the shelf, scanning it and placing it in the bag takes literally seconds, and then you move on.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

If in doubt ask my transport connect:
"TfL ditched all cash fares on services they provide (or contract for) in July 2014. Trams went cashless in 2018. If a driver or operator was taking cash, then they were doing so in contravention of their contractual rules and the Driver rules as laid out in the Big Red Book."

I mean it doesn't really matter in the greater scheme but I can't remember anyone taking cash for years, I thought you might've been on about like Zone 6 granny buses. or the ones in your area are corrupt.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ta_mills/status/1336323456434991107?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
"Err yeah we definitely still take cash fares. No change though." is a pretty good scam for a bus driver tbf

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lmao what the gently caress even is 2020

quote:

Has the State of Israel made contact with aliens?

According to retired Israeli general and current professor Haim Eshed, the answer is yes, but this has been kept a secret because "humanity isn't ready."
Speaking in an interview to Yediot Aharonot, Eshed – who served as the head of Israel's space security program for nearly 30 years and is a three-time recipient of the Israel Security Award – explained that Israel and the US have both been dealing with aliens for years.

And this by no means refers to immigrants, with Eshed clarifying the existence of a "Galactic Federation."

The 87-year-old former space security chief gave further descriptions about exactly what sort of agreements have been made between the aliens and the US, which ostensibly have been made because they wish to research and understand "the fabric of the universe." This cooperation includes a secret underground base on Mars, where there are American and alien representatives.
If true, this would coincide with US President Donald Trump's creation of the Space Force as the fifth branch of the US armed forces, though it is unclear how long this sort of relationship, if any, has been going on between the US and its reported extraterrestrial allies.

But Eshed insists that Trump is aware of them, and that he was "on the verge" of disclosing their existence. However, the Galactic Federation reportedly stopped him from doing so, saying they wished to prevent mass hysteria since they felt humanity needed to "evolve and reach a stage where we will... understand what space and spaceships are," Yediot Aharonot reported.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
0 chance trump wouldn't have said something if it was true

they're all such massive, massive cunts

https://uk.reuters.com/article/britain-ineos/billionaire-ratcliffes-ineos-drops-wales-for-france-to-build-new-car-idINS8N2E3088

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

So early signs that the UK is prepared to backdown to reach a Brexit deal.

https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-u...otocol-12155176

Now even if this had always been the plan as part of a negotiation tactic to "get a better deal" it was still a stupid plan as the UK will never be trusted again when it comes to legal obligations.
Reputations, they take a lifetime to build, a minute to destroy as they taught me in Ethics class.

Now even if the Government is prepared to make a deal they still might have left it to late to get it all sorted.

So lovely of Boris to use my home as a bloody bargaining chip, at least with a sea border it might be easier to food in from the Republic.

The fact that he even tried this as a tactic puts a big dent in the governments trustworthiness on future deals on anything at all.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure it's purely a coincidence that Eshed has a new book coming out, but it's such an utterly bizarre claim.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
It might as well be true at this stage.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's so ridiculous how far ahead of the rest of the country TfL is, and yet nationalising public transport beyond The Trains doesn't ever seem to get even a mention. I think there was some vague noises in the 2019 Labour manifesto about improving bus services, but even that seemed a bit half-hearted.

The 2019 manifesto had a commitment to nationalise the entire bus network and introduce thousands of new routes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Goldskull posted:

If in doubt ask my transport connect:
"TfL ditched all cash fares on services they provide (or contract for) in July 2014. Trams went cashless in 2018. If a driver or operator was taking cash, then they were doing so in contravention of their contractual rules and the Driver rules as laid out in the Big Red Book."

I mean it doesn't really matter in the greater scheme but I can't remember anyone taking cash for years, I thought you might've been on about like Zone 6 granny buses. or the ones in your area are corrupt.

Lol weirdly I got this info from my transport contact. I personally didn't remember anyone using cash on a bus in ages, but he was very insistent that they were still taking it as of this year. Given he works at West Ham garage I don't rule out that last possibility, but he might just be confused by the fact that the little tray (and the containers for the coins beneath it) were still there until they were taken out when they extended the screens around the driver.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Gets worse:

https://www.thejc.com/comment/opinion/by-adopting-ihra-universities-would-show-leadership-on-tackling-antisemitism-1.509413

Can you imagine the outcry if universities were banned from discussing human rights outrages committed in any other country?

This constant framing of being anti the actions of the govt of the state of Israel as being synonymous with being anti Jewish is beyond a joke.

I don’t think that the IHRA definition precludes discussion of Israeli human rights violations, does it?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Yorkshire uses contactless for buses but Lancashire has yet to catch up. Lovely to catch town>city buses and needing tenner to pay when they've removed most of the nearby cash machines (and toilets and anything else that might be useful before a two hour bus journey)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

therattle posted:

I don’t think that the IHRA definition precludes discussion of Israeli human rights violations, does it?

no but the sun, the telegraph, the times etc do

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol weirdly I got this info from my transport contact. I personally didn't remember anyone using cash on a bus in ages, but he was very insistent that they were still taking it as of this year. Given he works at West Ham garage I don't rule out that last possibility, but he might just be confused by the fact that the little tray (and the containers for the coins beneath it) were still there until they were taken out when they extended the screens around the driver.

I asked John Bull, of London Reconnections fame. He even sent me a pick of the relevant red book page.

We came to the conclusion it probably does happen out in the sticks as 68yr old Beryl who's been using the same route for 40 years can't get her brains around Oyster and never will, so it's easier just to take her £1.50 and shove it in the depot charity box or somesuch.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

therattle posted:

It shouldn't do but it does. Everyone is poo poo scared to discuss human rights violations against Palestinians lest they be tarred as anti-semitic.
(Note that the demand on universities in the article says that ALL the examples must be included.)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Gets worse:

Hardly anyone in the country cares about human rights anywhere

I guess there's quite a lot who think theyr a Marxist plot

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They don't even care about them at home, hence people pulling out loving Magna Carta over their rights and freedoms when the HRA is right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Fudge News

So the past week has been insane. Fudjit is closing out 2020 on its best month of trading yet. I am completely blown away by all of your generosity and appetite for delicious fudge. :D

My long awaited move has now been confirmed as happening on Friday; given the amount of things I have to do before then I’m afraid I will be closing sales as of midnight tonight. If you still want to buy fudge, hit up https://www.fudjit.co.uk before midnight! I still have some amount of dark chocolate, chilli-chocolate and jelly beans flavours left; everything else I’m happy to say is gone!

If I may ramble for a few; it’s now almost exactly a year since my initial soft-launch on here. In that time trade has grown from an average of c£200 a month last December to over a grand this month. I’ve gone from cooking 10kg in one kilo batches and considering it exhausting to cooking 40+kg in 4kg batches with ease. I’ve gone from selling through direct engagement here and elsewhere (and of course maintaining the dreaded UKMT goons.xls in the process) to having a functioning sales website that seems to be working well (this was something I had a huge mental block over).

In short, the cooking of fudge for me has gone from ‘potentially profitable side hustle’ to ‘actually able to make a living off’ in the course of a year. And in particular, a year of such horribleness and despair. Part of me feels guilty that I’ve achieved satisfaction and a measure of success when so many of us are struggling with the precariousness of life, the difficulties of furlough and so on. But another part says that if I, an autistic depressive who genuinely thought he would never be able to work again, can do this then holy hell there’s hope for all of us.

And the only reason I’ve been able to make this work is down to the massive support and solidarity shown by the people posting here, in the discord and elsewhere who took a change on my sweet sweet goodies, showed faith in me to follow through (especially when so many other goon projects have crashed and burned) and then pimped out my wares to others. It’s a debt that I don’t think can ever really be repaid other than through the gratitude that fills me.

More than anything else, you guys haven’t just helped me create a working business, but you’ve also helped me get some of my pride and self-respect back; helped me lift myself up when I thought I was too broken to ever stand on my own two feet again.

I dunno what 2021 will bring, but I know it’ll be full of sweetness no matter how poo poo this rainy terf island gets. Because I’ll be making it.