Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
[:SITD:], Frozen Plasma, and Terrorfrequenz are all doing remixes for me in my new single... I makes me miss my old EBM roots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

cEvin Key did the Amoeba What's in My Bag (Home Edition) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ldM6DQ24bA

He will say industrial many times and have some choice pulls.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SacrificialGoat posted:

There's a new Pig album out. Thoughts?
i'm entertained

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PbPfmSYRyw

--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyqFJFyxm4

:hmmyes:

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 29, 2020

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

I made a Rammstein-style christmas song for the Awful Xmas thread in GBS. Here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/user-530987418/weihnachtsmannlied

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Good work dude, fun song :)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Alex Reed is On His Bullshit Again, thank God. One thousand ho-ho DJs.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tac Dibar posted:

I made a Rammstein-style christmas song for the Awful Xmas thread in GBS. Here it is:

This is very good!

divabot posted:

okay great now my christmas playlist has there songs on it.

(the third song is Death In Rome's christmas parody of NON - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weRaIqzJvbg)

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

divabot posted:

This has no right of being this good, also 1000 Ho-Ho DJ's is the best parody name ever.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Tac Dibar posted:

This is pretty loving good. Thanks, dude.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I forget if I posted this last year but a friend of mine covers a song every time I do a road trip as part of a long running series of bad music mix tapes we put together for these. Last year I asked if he would cover Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime in the style of C-Tec's Gesellschaft. I told him to listen to Mindphaser and Welcome to Paradise for some inspiration for samples too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBp0012A3Pw

The result was one of the wildest things I've ever heard, especially for how much work he put into figuring out just how to duplicate the guitar sounds on that album. Especially because he doesn't make music like thishttps://venter.bandcamp.com/music

If you really like the hosed up guitars on Cut you might like this!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

I forget if I posted this last year but a friend of mine covers a song every time I do a road trip as part of a long running series of bad music mix tapes we put together for these. Last year I asked if he would cover Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime in the style of C-Tec's Gesellschaft. I told him to listen to Mindphaser and Welcome to Paradise for some inspiration for samples too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBp0012A3Pw

The result was one of the wildest things I've ever heard, especially for how much work he put into figuring out just how to duplicate the guitar sounds on that album. Especially because he doesn't make music like thishttps://venter.bandcamp.com/music

If you really like the hosed up guitars on Cut you might like this!

This is great, like really great.

Anyway for some self-promotion, I finished another couple tracks the other day and threw them on bandcamp: https://trellick.bandcamp.com/album/the-disaster-capitalists-dream They're kinda noisy EBM stuff.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 4, 2020

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ever hear A Gothic–Industrial Tribute to Smashing Pumpkins? I stumbled across it in the SP thread.

quote:

1. "Rhinoceros" – Günter Schulz & En Esch
  2. "Ava Adore" – Candymachine 88 with Tina Root of Switchblade Symphony
  3. "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" – Sigue Sigue Sputnik
  4. "The End Is the Beginning Is the End" – Dark Corridor
  5. "Disarm" – 16 Volt Vs. Spahn Ranch
  6. "Cherub Rock" – Razed In Black
  7. "God" – Electric Hellfire Club
  8. "1979" – PIG
  9. "Frail & Bedazzled" – Godbox
  10. "Today" – Shining (Julian Beeston ex Nitzer Ebb)
  11. "Eye" – Rosetta Stone
  12. "Soma" – Bella Morte
  13. "Zero" – Synical
...it is not great. At best some tracks are ... listenable.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

teethgrinder posted:

This is my review of the Smashing Pumpkins...

I'm a big fan of Razed in Black. Weird, YoutubeMusic has this

quote:

A Very Special Tribute To Smashing Pumpkins

1: Cherub Rock - Razed in Black
2: Disarm - 16 Volt vs. Spahn Ranch
3: God - Electric Hellfire Club
4: 1979 - Pig
5: Rhinoceros - Guenter Schulz & En Esch
6: Tristessa - Soulbent
7: Muzzle - High Tigers
8: Bullet With Butterfly Wings - Thirty Stones
9: Zero - The Element
10: Love - Pure 13

Similar but different album.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

teethgrinder posted:

Ever hear A Gothic–Industrial Tribute to Smashing Pumpkins? I stumbled across it in the SP thread.

I miss the era of labels putting out terrible tribute albums as cash grabs, you'd get such weird stuff. I genuinely love FLA and Tiffany covering U2's New Year's Day.

I might have to listen to the Bella Morte cover of Soma though.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

MassRafTer posted:

I miss the era of labels putting out terrible tribute albums as cash grabs, you'd get such weird stuff. I genuinely love FLA and Tiffany covering U2's New Year's Day.

I might have to listen to the Bella Morte cover of Soma though.

Oh boy, lovely cover albums! This is how I spent the 2000s. Here's one of the less awful but still odd ones I have.

Notable for Hate Dept's chuggy cocksman version of You Spin Me Right Round. Countered by New Mind's (who?) asymptotic, barely listenable version of Waterfalls that has what I can only generously describe as "hosed up drum programming". Also contains a completely unneeded cover of Devil Went Down to Georgia by Vault 9.

e: these have to be some of the oldest MP3s in my collection, they have ID3V1 tags :psyduck:

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 7, 2020

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

I remember there being a bunch of “Industrial tribute to” compilations back in the 90s. Looking it up now I was right but it continued well into the 00s. Very rarely did anything worth listening to manage to find its way onto one of those.

I get the idea though. Take a mainstream band and let whatever industrial artist you’ve got on your label who wasn’t busy that weekend record some lovely cover. You get even a tiny fraction of Metallica fans to by buy “The Blackest Album - An Industrial Tribute To Metallica” and you’ll make a bit of money. I was thinking that Cleopatra Records released most of that crap and I was right. The Blackest Album must have done well because they did three more of those.

Two very surprising things:

1. Cleopatra Records still exist. I did about 30 seconds of research but it seems to still be basically the same company. If that’s actually the case I hope they’ll stay around and continue misspelling everything for years to come.

2. In 2003 Cleopatra Records released “An Industrial Tribute to Ministry”. I’m not sure if that makes a lot of sense or no sense at all.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Hedenius posted:

2. In 2003 Cleopatra Records released “An Industrial Tribute to Ministry”. I’m not sure if that makes a lot of sense or no sense at all.

I have "Re:Cover A Front 242 Tribute Album" in my collection. It's very earnest and loving. But how many ways can you cover Headhunter in a way that won't have rivetheads angry at you for years? Just sort of unnecessary altogether.

gently caress, I have 3 Front 242 Tribute albums? What am I doing with my life

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 7, 2020

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

boo_radley posted:

I have "Re:Cover A Front 242 Tribute Album" in my collection. It's very earnest and loving. But how many ways can you cover Headhunter in a way that won't have rivetheads angry at you for years? Just sort of unnecessary altogether.

gently caress, I have 3 Front 242 Tribute albums? What am I doing with my life
I still have the Wumpscut double album with only remixes of Totmacher. Can’t remember if there were any good ones. Which probably is a sign that there weren’t any.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hedenius posted:

I had to double-check if it was Cleopatra (it was sadly not), but there’s another Ministry tribute double-album with an obnoxious title that features... (wait for it) a cover of Lay Lady Lay.
:discourse:

Edit: Ah that album is itself a compilation of two other tribute albums which is why the title didn’t ring a bell. The original (“original”) album was Wish You Were Queer. This has got to be Peak Industrial Tribute Album

david_a fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 8, 2020

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

I had to double-check if it was Cleopatra (it was sadly not), but there’s another Ministry tribute double-album with an obnoxious title that features... (wait for it) a cover of Lay Lady Lay.
:discourse:

Edit: Ah that album is itself a compilation of two other tribute albums which is why the title didn’t ring a bell. The original (“original”) album was Wish You Were Queer. This has got to be Peak Industrial Tribute Album

Well this is certainly a weird rabbit hole of tribute albums. And those albums are all on Martin Atkins' (Pigface/PIL) label.

Like, who even is the market for all this stuff? Especially the Cleopatra ones, are people so desperate for half arsed covers of bands they like by three bands they've heard of and a bunch of artists that only turn up on those kind of comps?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Well this is certainly a weird rabbit hole of tribute albums. And those albums are all on Martin Atkins' (Pigface/PIL) label.

Like, who even is the market for all this stuff? Especially the Cleopatra ones, are people so desperate for half arsed covers of bands they like by three bands they've heard of and a bunch of artists that only turn up on those kind of comps?

I kinda doubt this was demand-driven. It was novel at one point and probably super cheap to create these albums. I’ve heard that Atkins is quite, uh, “frugal” so if there was any chance of making a profit off this stuff, well...

imagine the run-this-poo poo-into-the-ground emoji here but browsing for those things is awful on mobile

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Actually, this just came out.
This is a donation drive album:
https://rivetingmusic4u.bandcamp.com/album/tear-down-the-walls

quote:

27 bands joined forces to pay tribute to Pink Floyd’s rock opera, The Wall, and raise money for Doctors Without Borders. The benefit compilation pays homage to the original album while giving it a modern feel and the rougher edge only industrial bands can successfully deliver. Several legends of the industrial music genre lent their talents to this project, but it also includes the up and coming bands of industrial music.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I think my favorite silly compilation tribute album was Operation Beatbox which was the standard mid 90's b-list lineup (your 16Volts, Clay People, and Numb(!) covering classic hip-hop tracks. They don't dive too far into hip hop artists, so it's mostly Public Enemy and some Beastie Boys but still, it's a thing. Also, you could probably write a lazy thesis on the connection to hip-hop and "electro-industrial." This was Re-Constriction, not Cleo so it has that going for it.

Full album not easily searchable on youtube, so here's a twofer.

Numb covering Salt n' Pepa's "Push It" ... yeah, it's not the best thing and almost borders camp with the angry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NgAWzhGrd8

Battery covering Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise" ... I actually like this version as Battery at least adapted the song to their style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBr2Wm7yPlw

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Operation Beatbox RULES

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soroGCfaYHk

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

deong posted:

Actually, this just came out.
This is a donation drive album:
https://rivetingmusic4u.bandcamp.com/album/tear-down-the-walls

It's really good to see Fiction 8 is still around :unsmith:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Chris and Cosey Reflect on Throbbing Gristle’s Legacy over at Bandcamp

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

I love watching interviews with Chris Carter, because he's just like some quiet, friendly guy who maybe you'd expect to be a teacher or perhaps have a youtube channel where he talks at length about some niche topic (trains, obscure brands of VHS player, idk) and it's just so at odds with what TG were and what you might expect.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
haha, I love that idea. Like you'd sit down with him to really get into the band and he'd smile at you and say, "now, do you know the difference between different model train gauges? it's quite interesting". And you'd fall into a k-hole of which brand shoes have the best shoeboxes to make train tunnels, or how sponges are good for making tiny trees for a diorama.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Rhys Fulber was on We Have a Technical today. Good interview, his solo stuff is really interesting and hearing him talk gear and his work ethic and relationships with Bill and others was interesting.

But man the two songs I've heard off Mechanical Soul really suck. I actually loved Wake Up The Coma and like Rhys' solo stuff but Bill needs to be sprayed with a spritz bottle every time he tries to rhyme.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MassRafTer posted:

But man the two songs I've heard off Mechanical Soul really suck. I actually loved Wake Up The Coma and like Rhys' solo stuff but Bill needs to be sprayed with a spritz bottle every time he tries to rhyme.

Listened to the album and I think I know at least one of the songs you mean; the verses were very, very pronounced classic Leeb-isms.

First impressions are that it's not nearly as fun as Wake Up The Coma - much slower and nothing stands out that much. I'll give them some leeway for the pandemic and Jeremy Inkel dying. Not sure what's up with Barbarians - it's a reworking of Future Fail from Artificial Soldier with the drum samples from Prophecy off Implode. I can't think of anything they've done like that in the past that wasn't explicitly labeled a remix. If you were expecting Dino's contributing to resemble something like a Fear Factory version of Uncle Al's Stupidity from IED you'll be disappointed, all I heard were some somewhat generic chugging on one track.

Maybe I'll change my mind on further listens when I'm not busy with something else and half paying attention but it didn't really excite me.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I had no idea this came out and listening to it now.

Edit - Lol, I may be an old fart, but Unknown is great, reminds me of TNI.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 18, 2021

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The album is 'fine'. I think we have mostly moved on from this sound and there are lots of bands, even like HEALTH, that have evolved from this template.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I largely agree with the review from Release - it’s excellent production let down by the songs themselves. Maybe they can knock out a new album soon that improves that aspect since they won’t be touring for a while.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

There is a new Imperative Reaction album after 10 years.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

teethgrinder posted:

There is a new Imperative Reaction album after 10 years.

Me, at the end of 2020: god, I REALLY hope 2021 doesn't bring any more surprises
Reading your post: oh ok, this surprise was a nice one

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

david_a posted:

I largely agree with the review from Release - it’s excellent production let down by the songs themselves. Maybe they can knock out a new album soon that improves that aspect since they won’t be touring for a while.

It's probably going to be the new Noise Unit album they've talked about. Which is probably a better idea and might fit more what Rhys is doing lately since Noise Unit is kind of just whatever they want it to be.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MassRafTer posted:

It's probably going to be the new Noise Unit album they've talked about. Which is probably a better idea and might fit more what Rhys is doing lately since Noise Unit is kind of just whatever they want it to be.

Oh yeah I forgot they working on that too

Delerium is probably the biggest money maker by far so I wouldn’t be shocked to see a new one of those on the way.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Will agree with the new FLA being fine. A few pretty good songs, Komm probably being the best besides the Black Asteroid remix which is exactly what you would think a Black Asteroid remix would sound like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Not a big fan of the direction FLA took after Implode. I guess there's some worthwhile tracks on Civilization, but most of the stuff done in the last 20 years just sounds like video game soundtracks to me me; I much prefer the cyberpunk aesthetic from the 90's stuff.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 2, 2021