Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

90k in a place like Elkhart is like 150+ in the bay for sure

is 150 in the bay a lot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
No, that's entry level.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ralith posted:

No, that's entry level.

And the not kind of entry level that gets you your own studio apartment. The kind where you're living with 2+ roomates.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

It cannot be overstated how skewed your salary expectations will be if you're in either the Bay Area or New York City. You can generally expect a 40% markup just to buoy you to the same relative point past the local poverty line.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I was about to post how I'd expect a sr. mech engineer to earn in the 120k range here (Austin, TX) but then checked and saw numbers in the 90k range on Glassdoor.

Is mechanical engineering just on the lower-end of the salary scale and my own (semiconductor) engineering experience skewed it?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Motronic posted:

And the not kind of entry level that gets you your own studio apartment. The kind where you're living with 2+ roomates.

Is the Bay THAT much different from NYC? You can find a perfectly fine place on your own with just a 150 base in NYC. Last time I checked SF housing was only more expensive than NYC when taking all of NYC into account rather than just Manhattan and you could still live in Manhattan on your own at that salary.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Trabant posted:

I was about to post how I'd expect a sr. mech engineer to earn in the 120k range here (Austin, TX) but then checked and saw numbers in the 90k range on Glassdoor.

Is mechanical engineering just on the lower-end of the salary scale and my own (semiconductor) engineering experience skewed it?

What makes software engineers able to demand such a premium over other kinds of similarly experienced engineers in other fields?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
supply and demand

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

supply and demand

The correlary here is that they haven't figured out how to make trillions off overseas devs yet at the same rate.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is the Bay THAT much different from NYC? You can find a perfectly fine place on your own with just a 150 base in NYC. Last time I checked SF housing was only more expensive than NYC when taking all of NYC into account rather than just Manhattan and you could still live in Manhattan on your own at that salary.

If you want to be near work, yeah. If you don't mind spending an hour + on BART after spending 30+ minutes driving or walking to the nearest station then you can have your own place and be able to live decently outside of housing costs.

I don't think you understand the extent to which California real estate is hosed up due to the property tax scheme and how much that is amplified in the bay area due to mid level software developers and product managers making $300k while burning VC money.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 7, 2020

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Motronic posted:

If you want to be near work, yeah. If you don't mind spending an hour + on BART after spending 30+ minutes driving or walking to the nearest station then you can have your own place and be able to live decently outside of housing costs.

I don't think you understand the extent to which California real estate is hosed up due to the property tax scheme and how much that is amplified in the bay area due to mid level software developers and product managers making $300k while burning VC money.

Oh, I'm talking rents. Even though they're high, you've still got Oakland, SSF, the far parts of the Sunsets, etc. where it's less insane and not insanely far (depending where in those areas you are). Buying is an entirely different beast in the Bay though and I won't dispute that.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Cacafuego posted:

What makes software engineers able to demand such a premium over other kinds of similarly experienced engineers in other fields?

capital's ever-more-desperate chase for a rate of profit that isn't falling, and ubiquitous programmable consumer surveillance devices.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Motronic posted:

.....what. How in the world......

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Omne posted:

.....what. How in the world......

Product managers are the top of the pile in bay area VC tech as far as ICs go.

Yes, it's as insane as it sound. But they get to walk around being "the idea guy".

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

H110Hawk posted:

I read ESOP as option plan, vs what I have always seen what you described as ESPP. Again, what are the details?

Lay it out. What's your job title? How objectively senior are you? Is the company public? How much below market rate do they think they can get you for in exchange for this stock?

I've grown a bit weary of the "take a huge pay cut to get this great opportunity" line, most of the time it turns out your bosses definitely did not take that same paycut and got an order of magnitude more stock than you.

So going back to this, the company has an ESOP in addition to a traditional 401k with matching. Which is what I was hoping for.

I had an hour-long phone interview today and they sound like an interesting company but they're a lot smaller than where I work now and I don't think they're going to be able to compensate me for even close to what I make right now, ESOP or not.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

90k in a place like Elkhart is like 150+ in the bay for sure

I've seen what things cost out there and I actually like it here in the midwest. We have seasons, almost no traffic and I can buy a 3000+ square foot house for $150k. Well I could a few years ago, the housing market has changed so now it's closer to 200k. That won't buy a parking spot in some of those cities.

I used to really want to live in the Dallas area, and I dunno, I still might. I love the area. Chicago, too. If I were to move to a bigger city it would likely be one of those two. As much as I like to visit them, though, I really don't think I'd want to live in one.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 9, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CornHolio posted:

So going back to this, the company has an ESOP in addition to a traditional 401k with matching. Which is what I was hoping for.

I had an hour-long phone interview today and they sound like an interesting company but they're a lot smaller than where I work now and I don't think they're going to be able to compensate me for even close to what I make right now, ESOP or not.

Are they publicly traded? Is there any kind of liquidity option for you if not? (Profit sharing, guaranteed quarterly buy-outs if you want, how is valuation handled, etc.)

If not, discount them to effectively zero. If you want to take a risk, know that going in they are most likely worthless. We can help you put a number on it, but without it being the tech industry I feel a lot of us are going to shrug and say "The paper they're printed on." You can ask things about their plans for liquidity on the options.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

H110Hawk posted:

Are they publicly traded? Is there any kind of liquidity option for you if not? (Profit sharing, guaranteed quarterly buy-outs if you want, how is valuation handled, etc.)

If not, discount them to effectively zero. If you want to take a risk, know that going in they are most likely worthless. We can help you put a number on it, but without it being the tech industry I feel a lot of us are going to shrug and say "The paper they're printed on." You can ask things about their plans for liquidity on the options.

It's a private company. Apparently the owner decided that instead of selling to a big company he would literally sell the entire company's value to its employees so it's literally owned solely by the employees, and twice a year they have an independent assessor come in and value it.

That's what I know at this point but it's good to know that in pursuing this I shouldn't put much value in it. The guy I spoke to likened it to Publix and it sounds cool and interesting but not worth much financially.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Motronic posted:

Yes, it's as insane as it sound. But they get to walk around being "the idea guy".

I'm flabbergasted. I run a team of product managers in Florida, and I don't make anywhere remotely close to that. Not even half of that.

Maybe I should look for a remote PM job there. I get it won't be that full amount, but has to be better than what I'm making. Plus my company just merged with/got bought out by another, and our options/stock are being paid out.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Omne posted:

I'm flabbergasted. I run a team of product managers in Florida, and I don't make anywhere remotely close to that. Not even half of that.

Maybe I should look for a remote PM job there. I get it won't be that full amount, but has to be better than what I'm making. Plus my company just merged with/got bought out by another, and our options/stock are being paid out.

Tech companies are... Odd.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Heads up: don’t expect any work/life balance if you do a SV project management job. The pay is obscene but you’re gonna work a ton of hours. It’s still great pay even for the hours, don’t get me wrong, but you’re not going to be pulling 40-hr weeks let’s just say.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sundae posted:

Heads up: don’t expect any work/life balance if you do a SV project management job. The pay is obscene but you’re gonna work a ton of hours. It’s still great pay even for the hours, don’t get me wrong, but you’re not going to be pulling 40-hr weeks let’s just say.

Really any of the FAANG companies are like this regardless of role. They pay astronomical amounts of money but they own you. Get in, get it on your resume, get out. The product manager positions just happen to pay way more than you expect.

There are product manager jobs that aren't insane but still pay extremely well. I have one. It's great outside of the PowerPoint and excel.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

H110Hawk posted:

Really any of the FAANG companies are like this regardless of role. They pay astronomical amounts of money but they own you. Get in, get it on your resume, get out. The product manager positions just happen to pay way more than you expect.

This definitely isn't true of individual contributor engineering roles in all FAANG companies. Amazon, sure.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Ralith posted:

This definitely isn't true of individual contributor engineering roles in all FAANG companies. Amazon, sure.

Same in my experience. The FAANG companies, and other well established high paying companies, are probably the most reasonable in SV. They expect you to meet your commitments, but they're generally reasonable and end up around 40 hours a week assuming you're not screwing around with onsite amenities. Apple does have hard deadlines so they're maybe the exception based on what I've heard. Netflix also has a weird rep though like Amazon it may be team dependent as the people I know there seem to not be working ridiculous hours.

Everyone seems to think that companies that pay ridiculously well require ridiculous hours and that doesn't line up at all. Companies that pay terribly, especially with a illiquid equity, seem to be the ones that require absurd hours.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Fair enough, maybe things have improved since I last chatted with folks directly involved.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I was thinking more the smaller players and startups.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Yeah I've worked at big, Fortune 100 places and sub-100-person shops, they've just all been in low cost of living places so I guess my experience doesn't align well with firms on the coasts. I've had recruiters from Amazon reach out every so often but I've always said I wasn't interested, maybe I should be? My knowledge of Amazon is a culture where you are worked to the bone then put on a PIP right before your vesting cliff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Omne posted:

My knowledge of Amazon is a culture where you are worked to the bone then put on a PIP right before your vesting cliff.

I'd say that's pretty accurate for a large percentage of new employees based on my friends that work there.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Omne posted:

Yeah I've worked at big, Fortune 100 places and sub-100-person shops, they've just all been in low cost of living places so I guess my experience doesn't align well with firms on the coasts. I've had recruiters from Amazon reach out every so often but I've always said I wasn't interested, maybe I should be? My knowledge of Amazon is a culture where you are worked to the bone then put on a PIP right before your vesting cliff.

From the folks I know who work (or used to work) there, the first part is accurate. Everybody says "oh, it depends on the team," and they're not completely wrong, but the overall attitude is intense and a "light" team at Amazon would be at least "moderate" anywhere else. People who put in 40 and go home for the week don't last long. From what I've heard, anything in logistics is pure hell, AWS is extremely variable but will always have heavy on-call responsibilities for the tech folks, and there are pockets of pretty reasonable workload in the customer-facing retail side of the house.

The implication behind the second isn't quite true. Lots of people burn out fast, leave or get pipped out, and sometimes they leave big piles of money on the table thanks to vesting schedules. But, Amazon managers aren't tracking whose golden handcuffs are about to pay out. Amazon has a ton of money, they're not shy about using it for payroll, and they don't care enough to make managers pay attention to their reports' vesting schedules like that. On the other hand, they're not interested in supporting employees through burnout or tough times - they'll just say "eh, you'll be fine, you've got Amazon on your resume, good luck elsewhere" and get rid of you. So, it's not about deliberately pipping people when they're about to get a payout; it's just that the workload and culture are toxic enough that people are willing to say "gently caress your golden handcuffs" a couple of years in.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just accidentally came across a product (a vacuum cleaner) that is sold locally for literally 1/3rd to 1/2 of the price than anywhere else. Even on ebay they seem to sell well for 2-2.5 times more.

Not sure what the deal is, if the local distributor is getting rid of stock or something, but there are multiple stores with these low prices here. It's not a huge amount per item but the margin seems pretty good, and would basically involve receiving the package, slapping another label on it, and sending it out. The ebay seller is in the UK, I'm in the (continental) EU so would have an advantage thanks to brexit lol.

I never sold anything on ebay, has anyone? Would you do this? I guess I picked up from my father to always examine the downsides too and can already see a pallet of unsold vacuums sitting in my living room. But seems pretty safe if I keep low inventory and only order a 5-10 at a time. Anything suggestions what to consider/avoid/do?

Motronic posted:

Jeez, I have lots of ideas! Would someone hire me?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

so you're going to buy these things at what, $20 and sell them at $60?

Is it really going to be as simple as you say it is? If so, why isn't the distributor taking advantage of this arbitrage opportunity to unload these things at scale?

I think you will likely have to pay for some shipping, so that will eat a fair amount of your margin - the seller linked has free shipping at least within UK. If something goes wrong, you will be on the hook with limited recourse to your supplier. I also presume you will be responsible for any customs paperwork and any taxes like VAT. (note that the seller you linked is explicit about providing an invoice with VAT) This is probably more complicated than you think.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mobby_6kl posted:

I just accidentally came across a product (a vacuum cleaner) that is sold locally for literally 1/3rd to 1/2 of the price than anywhere else. Even on ebay they seem to sell well for 2-2.5 times more.

Not sure what the deal is, if the local distributor is getting rid of stock or something, but there are multiple stores with these low prices here. It's not a huge amount per item but the margin seems pretty good, and would basically involve receiving the package, slapping another label on it, and sending it out. The ebay seller is in the UK, I'm in the (continental) EU so would have an advantage thanks to brexit lol.

I never sold anything on ebay, has anyone? Would you do this? I guess I picked up from my father to always examine the downsides too and can already see a pallet of unsold vacuums sitting in my living room. But seems pretty safe if I keep low inventory and only order a 5-10 at a time. Anything suggestions what to consider/avoid/do?

Jeez, I have lots of ideas! Would someone hire me?

Lol it's being bought directly from a retailer with a stolen card and having it shipped to you, which means they will direct the authorities to you if they get approached, and you'll have to deal with explaining to the cops that you actually bought it from ebay

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Lol it's being bought directly from a retailer with a stolen card and having it shipped to you, which means they will direct the authorities to you if they get approached, and you'll have to deal with explaining to the cops that you actually bought it from ebay

nah mobbly is gonna buy them from a retailer and resell them on ebay

which makes me confused - if there's such a massive arbitrage opportunity a professional has to be doing this for real

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Buy one and try it out. See what happens.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

which makes me confused - if there's such a massive arbitrage opportunity a professional has to be doing this for real

Oh I misread that completely and thought it was some ebay seller local to Mobbly

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FAUXTON posted:

Sorry if it wasn't clear, I'd buy them from a legit local brick and mortar store (actually already got one for myself before I saw what they cost elsewhere) and sell them on ebay. These are $80 on amazon btw, though shipping them to the US doesn't make sense unfortunately.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

so you're going to buy these things at what, $20 and sell them at $60?

Is it really going to be as simple as you say it is? If so, why isn't the distributor taking advantage of this arbitrage opportunity to unload these things at scale?

I think you will likely have to pay for some shipping, so that will eat a fair amount of your margin - the seller linked has free shipping at least within UK. If something goes wrong, you will be on the hook with limited recourse to your supplier. I also presume you will be responsible for any customs paperwork and any taxes like VAT. (note that the seller you linked is explicit about providing an invoice with VAT) This is probably more complicated than you think.
Yeah that's the idea. They're like $25 here. Maybe less if I can convince them to give a volume discount but that's questionable.

I dunno :shrug:. The manufacturer is the official importer/distributor and I guess they have their own channel and won't sell on ebay? And the retailers don't want to sell/ship internationally for whatever reasons. And this might be a recent enough sale that no 3rd party noticed it yet.

Shipping to the UK would be doable but probably pointless, yeah, but I could undercut them everywhere else in the EU though (they charge like 10-20GBP). No customs in the EU, but I'd have to research VAT a bit. My purchase price includes tax already but it's a bit more intricate if I wanted to resell it. IANAL but the manufacturer warranty seems transferable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Right.

I really don't know. I mean it's not rocket science but I guess since it's not much money, the easiest would be:

H110Hawk posted:

Buy one and try it out. See what happens.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Omne posted:

FWIW, all the Amazon employees I've talked to say there were some significant changes made in the wake of the media attention a few years ago. I would not dismiss it out of hand if the work sounds at all interesting. If you go through the interview process you should have plenty of opportunities to discuss your concerns with current employees.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Okay so VAT is a non-issue. I buy at the listed price (including the tax) and sell at whatever markup I want. That's it, until like $50k revenue or so when a different rules kick in. There's a German seller, which sucks, but France doesn't have one for example. I know ebay's gonna take 10% and there might be some other small gotchas but this is a pretty cheap way to find out. No risk no reward, right.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Girlfriend got involved in a hit and run yesterday afternoon. Didn't plan on buying a new car (it is probably totaled) but glad I have emergency savings and all that. Dang car was in great shape too with 98K miles on it. Plan was another 6 years with it and then an buy an electric vehicle. At least she is totally OK, the most important thing.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Okay so VAT is a non-issue. I buy at the listed price (including the tax) and sell at whatever markup I want. That's it, until like $50k revenue or so when a different rules kick in. There's a German seller, which sucks, but France doesn't have one for example. I know ebay's gonna take 10% and there might be some other small gotchas but this is a pretty cheap way to find out. No risk no reward, right.

I tried selling some old wargaming miniatures on ebay and in my experience, it was only worthwhile if you consider your time completely worthless. By the time I'd listed, packaged, and shipped; I would have made more money working at Mcdonald's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I found out I had some leftover Bitcoin just sitting around, not a lot, but enough to put towards a used beater or pay off my small amount of CC debt.

Is it worth it to sell any of it or should I just sit on it? Not sure what's worth doing