Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

Wattsamatta posted:

Who is out there loving all these goddamn minks?!?!

WHOOO LET THE MINKS OUT

danes danes danes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Yessssss now we gotta get a Covidanian to cross the border and things will really start cooking!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If the minkenry guy ends up having to kill his minks I will also die

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Desperate Character posted:

So yeah Desantis has just said gently caress it and is doing whatever he can to suppress how bad it is here in Florida. This state is doomed:

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/n...nes/6482817002/

https://twitter.com/GeoRebekah/status/1336065787900145665

what the actual gently caress

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A part time Kansas radiology tech ended up having to camp out in an RV in the hospital's carpark for over a week because there was no one else to take x-rays and the ER would close if he wasn't on site to do it.

quote:

The staff shortages have forced people like Eric Lewallen, a Gulf War veteran and alfalfa farmer who moonlights as a radiology technician, to mount a last line of defense. To keep the hospital open, he had no choice but to start living in his RV in the parking lot because he needed to be on site as the only remaining healthy staffer to perform X-rays.

“I’m it,” Lewallen said shortly after begging the hospital laundry staff to start washing his scrubs because he had run out of clean ones.

“To keep a critical access hospital open, you have to have X-ray and lab functioning,” he said. “If one of those go down, you go on diversion and you lose your ER at that point. We don’t want that to happen, especially for the community.”

quote:

The larger Hays Medical Center, which is just 25 miles (40.23 kilometers) away from La Crosse, was always willing to take patients that needed more advanced care in the past. But it turned away 103 transfers in November alone. In the 14 years prior, it had rejected transfers just twice, said Dr. Heather Harris, the medical director there.

Physician assistant Kai Englert was able to fill in for six days at La Crosse, overseeing several COVID-19 patients, one of whom died after no larger hospital would take the patient. The La Crosse hospital doesn’t have a ventilator and the oxygen it provided wasn’t sufficient with the patient’s “chest full of COVID.” But Englert doubts more advanced would have made much difference because the patient was so sick.

He said the message from large hospitals is: “We are not going to waste a bed on someone who is going to die anyway. They can die in a small town and that is the sad reality of the situation.”
https://apnews.com/article/technology-kansas-coronavirus-pandemic-c924f4f1ecc5f561e9b4fd6e6bdd0e33

:tif:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not even sure this is the right thread, but oh well.

Edit: Decided the thread doesn't need all that info.

One of my parents has fallen prey to the "fake news" conspiracy nonsense, and it sucks. I don't understand how they can look around them and believe the virus is overblown. How the whole world can acknowledge its existence, and yet they still deny the reality. It's so disheartening to see what was once a normal, kind person become insane. And the person who managed to convince America of this conspiracy was a man who consistently and constantly lies on tape about anything and everything and then admits to it a week later. Every single time.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Dec 8, 2020

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Lol at the upper middle class white lady learning how search warrants work.

Yes lol haha that woman who tried to protect the public from a deadly plague at the cost of her livelihood definitely deserves our mockery because she is angry about an injustice but also white

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Anne Whateley posted:

If the minkenry guy ends up having to kill his minks I will also die
That was the first thing I thought :(

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I’m more worried what happens when we get a cat mutated coronavirus strain. I remember that story early on where tigers and lions got infected by their keeper at a zoo. Lol imagine even hinting at having to kill cats to stop the infection you would be murdered in a day

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If anyone in the US was hoping to get the Pfizer vaccine then you'd better be right at the start of the line otherwise you're poo poo out of luck, Trump only ordered enough for 50 million people and further shipments might not be possible until June

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1336062026515410946

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

An actually smart America First president would have nationalised Pfizer in April

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Desperate Character posted:

I’m more worried what happens when we get a cat mutated coronavirus strain. I remember that story early on where tigers and lions got infected by their keeper at a zoo. Lol imagine even hinting at having to kill cats to stop the infection you would be murdered in a day
The fact we didn't see this happening in China is encouraging anyway.
Also at least one psycho in the cspam thread went right to the idea of culling cats early on. There's a reason I don't read that thread anymore.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

JonathonSpectre posted:

Hitler is smiling.
you joke, but, this motherfucker actually wants to kill people

MarcusSA posted:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If anyone in the US was hoping to get the Pfizer vaccine then you'd better be right at the start of the line otherwise you're poo poo out of luck, Trump only ordered enough for 50 million people and further shipments might not be possible until June

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1336062026515410946

didn't trump also try to buy exclusive access rights to the vaccine? making only a small order could be his way of slapping back their refusal?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Mithaldu posted:

didn't trump also try to buy exclusive access rights to the vaccine? making only a small order could be his way of slapping back their refusal?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

^^^^
:newlol:

healthdata.org/germany does some projections regarding covid and for germany they project, based on current behavior:

40000 to 80000 deaths total if universal mask wearing is adopted
65000 to 145000 deaths otherwise

they also project a roughly 60%+ chance of ICU capacity being exceeded by mid february

and given that numbers are going up again this doesn't seem unreasonable

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I really don't understand why we don't have a universal mask rule already in Germany. "Leave your home = mask on" is superior to anything else simply because there are no exceptions you need to think about.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

combination of three factors:

- if i, as a politician, stand up for universal masks, i lose a lot of right wing votes
- if we admit that masks need to be universal we also admit that work places and schools aren't just made safe by wiping desks
- how the gently caress do you legally enforce this within the german framework

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

New study published in Geneva:

quote:

Discussion: Coronavirus disease 2019 can persist and result in prolonged illness. Our study shows persistence of symptoms in a third of ambulatory patients 30 to 45 days after diagnosis even if we assume that those lost to follow-up were all asymptomatic. Fatigue, dyspnea [shortness of breath], and loss of taste or smell were the main persistent symptoms.

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-5926

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

unpacked robinhood posted:

Are you really at risk of getting a fake vaccine in a western country if you don't get the stuff from legitmeds.blyat.ru?

I meant fake stories about the real vaccines. Not fake vaccines.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hopper posted:

I really don't understand why we don't have a universal mask rule already in Germany. "Leave your home = mask on" is superior to anything else simply because there are no exceptions you need to think about.

You do have to wear a mask indoors in Germany, no? Having to wear a mask outside in the park seems overkill and designed to get people crazy. When restaurants were still open, wearing a mask in outdoor restaurant areas was required as well.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

You do have to wear a mask indoors in Germany, no? Having to wear a mask outside in the park seems overkill and designed to get people crazy. When restaurants were still open, wearing a mask in outdoor restaurant areas was required as well.
lol most german schools don't even mandate masks in the classroom "just open the windows between lessons"

it's a clusterfuck because politicians are afraid of making hard calls, so masks are only "recommended" in most places

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So schools seem to be the exception, but masks were certainly mandated pretty much everywhere when I was in Germany some months ago.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast
It's mind boggling to me that people are still dancing around rules lawyering details of "mask mandates".

There is 1 key element to an effective mask mandate - it is "No interaction outside your cohort without a mask on, unless you are outdoors and socially distanced". This is usually coupled with "No non-essential loving around, even with a mask on" because masks are not 100% effective.

If you have indoor dining, at any time, you do not have useful mask mandate.

If you have bars open at any time, you do not have useful mask mandate

If you have any kind of non-essential public gatherings you do not have useful mask mandate.

No exceptions.

Every country that has adhered to a "real" mask mandate, and have had sufficient adherence (85-95% compliance) has been able to control the rate of propagation. It only takes a small percentage of non-compliance to totally undo the effort of people who do wear masks.

Every country that pays lip service to mask mandates have absolutely no loving control at all.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 8, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blitter posted:

It's mind boggling to me that people are still dancing around rules lawyering details of "mask mandates".

There is 1 key element to a mask mandate - it is "No interaction outside your cohort without a mask on, unless you are outdoors and socially distanced". This is usually coupled with "No non-essential loving around, even with a mask on" because masks are not 100% effective.

If you have indoor dining, at any time, you do not have a mask mandate.

If you have bars open at any time, you do not have a mask mandate

If you have any kind of non-essential public gatherings you do not have a mask mandate.

No exceptions.

Every country that has adhered to a actual mask mandate, and have had sufficient adherence (85-95% compliance) has been able to control the rate of propagation. It only takes a small percentage of non-compliance to totally undo the effort of people who do wear masks.

Every country that pays lip service to mask mandates have absolutely no loving control at all.

By that standard, Germany most definitely does have a mask mandate (as does Austria). The real laughing-stock in the German-speaking area is Switzerland with its weird assortment of half-measures.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

So schools seem to be the exception, but masks were certainly mandated pretty much everywhere when I was in Germany some months ago.

Fame Douglas posted:

By that standard, Germany most definitely does have a mask mandate
lol no

your personal anecdotes don't result in loving data

germany very specifically has a mask recommendation, not a mandate

here's our government 2 weeks ago

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
An example of mask mandates in Germany:

Munich has the following rules: masks in shops, on public transport, in public buildings and in the "old town and several other highly frequented areas".

Result: People at the bus stop drop their masks, people at outdoor markets are 50/50 because it is not inside, nobody knows for sure which areas of town are mask on and which are not, taxi and bus drivers on break outside talking up close but not wearing masks, people sitting 5 per park bench, no masks, playgrounds crowded but no masks on anyone children or parents.

There are just too many factors in a situation where 30% of people are purposefully playing dumb from the start.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm going to where a mask where my country's scientists tell me it is necessary, not just where I, as a history graduate working in an office, think it makes sense to wear one.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Blitter posted:

Does she have a patreon or something? She needs a loving warchest asap for legal fees or whatever.

Help Florida Scientist - legal fund is @ ~120K steadily climbing to the $150K target.

It's heartwarming to see her getting support but the necessity of the whole situation is outrageous.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
A coworker of mine called off Friday due to having Covid symptoms. She came in & worked yesterday because she was "still waiting for test results." Surprise! She tested positive!

Don't worry! She's coming back Friday because it'll have been two weeks since she thought she got sick! No, we aren't going to close, quarantine or call customers she was working with in a small, enclosed room. Why would we do that?

I liked it better when "retail will be the death of me" was only a joke.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mithaldu posted:

lol no

your personal anecdotes don't result in loving data

germany very specifically has a mask recommendation, not a mandate

here's our government 2 weeks ago

Germany absolutely does have a mask mandate, not a recommendation. You're a dummy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A part time Kansas radiology tech ended up having to camp out in an RV in the hospital's carpark for over a week because there was no one else to take x-rays and the ER would close if he wasn't on site to do it.

https://apnews.com/article/technology-kansas-coronavirus-pandemic-c924f4f1ecc5f561e9b4fd6e6bdd0e33

:tif:

Bet they didn't bump him to full time or even give him a raise.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Germany absolutely does have a mask mandate, not a recommendation. You're a dummy.
i live here you loving idiot

either you're using a definition of the word mandate that literally nobody else in the world uses

or you're somehow legally incapacitated of rational thought

or you're intentionally loving about

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mithaldu posted:

i live here you loving idiot

either you're using a definition of the word mandate that literally nobody else in the world uses

or you're somehow legally incapacitated of rational thought

or you're intentionally loving about

You're legally required to wear a mask in public indoor places like supermarkets or train stations. It is absolutely not a recommendation. Germany has a mask mandate, not recommendation.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Fame Douglas posted:

The point is you can call whatever you want a "mask mandate" but if you look at what epidemiologists consider an effective mask mandate, and what is used in models, you actually don't.

It's worse than a recommendation because it misleads people into thinking they're doing "enough" when it's not.

To be clear, sitting around spread out in even a large enclosed room without masks is loving idiotic and no one should pretend that it's adhering to any kind of sound health policy.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fame Douglas posted:

You're legally required to wear a mask in public indoor places like supermarkets or train stations. It is absolutely not a recommendation. Germany has a mask mandate, not recommendation.
Guy Who Always Has To Be Right But Is Dumb As poo poo So Is Never Actually Right has arrived

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blitter posted:

The point is you can call whatever you want a "mask mandate" but if you look at what epidemiologists consider an effective mask mandate, and what is used in models, you actually don't.

The point is that Germany has a very strict mask mandate compared to pretty much any other country.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stunt_enby posted:

Guy Who Always Has To Be Right But Is Dumb As poo poo So Is Never Actually Right has arrived

No, that other person is simply in the wrong.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

what's the official definition of a "Fame Douglas approved mask mandate" in full detail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
This is the original post to which you're responding:

Blitter posted:

There is 1 key element to an effective mask mandate - it is "No interaction outside your cohort without a mask on, unless you are outdoors and socially distanced". This is usually coupled with "No non-essential loving around, even with a mask on" because masks are not 100% effective.

[Examples of ways in which the above description is not upheld in e.g. Germany]

Later on, you quote a post containing this image:

What do you think you're saying, besides "anything saying you have to do a thing sometimes is a mandate?"