Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

McNally posted:

States Rights died November 30, 1864.

Don't kill the state right to weed :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wasabi the J posted:

Civil war 2 turns out to not be over race or religion, but over weed

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

RFC2324 posted:

Civil war 2 turns out to not be over race or religion, but over weed

Let's burn this mother down.

In other current news, looks like Javanka are planning their exit and staying close to daddy and Mar-A-Lago:

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/529194-ivanka-trump-jared-kushner-buying-30m-lot-in-florida?amp

Hahaha the town they are buying in is literally called Billionaires Bunker with armed boat patrols and poo poo. This country is crying out for a proletariat revolution.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

stackofflapjacks posted:

Let's burn this mother down.

In other current news, looks like Javanka are planning their exit and staying close to daddy and Mar-A-Lago:
https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/529194-ivanka-trump-jared-kushner-buying-30m-lot-in-florida?amp

They are hoping for an exit plan when New York comes a callin'.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Platystemon posted:

Call Johnson Space Center because my sides are in orbit.

What’s the most likely way this is shot down? Lack of standing?

Yeah. This is 'notice me senpai' action by Paxton and nothing more

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

They are hoping for an exit plan when New York comes a callin'.

And then Obama will call New York and they will just release a statement saying they’re not pressing charges.

I’m convinced we have a better chance of a second Trump term than of anyone facing state charges in NY. Why not charge Jared and Ivanka now? They aren’t the president, and trump is a lame duck with just a few weeks left in office.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Woofer posted:

I’m convinced we have a better chance of a second Trump term than of anyone facing state charges in NY. Why not charge Jared and Ivanka now? They aren’t the president, and trump is a lame duck with just a few weeks left in office.

For the exact reason that: They are not president, they openly committed fraud and corruption, and Jared is likely wanted for massive tax fraud for how he managed Trump properties in New York. Ivanka is likely going to face some sort of legal challenge from her writing off her taxes as a "contractor" while she was actively employed as a Trump Org employee.

Trump and Co jilted New York out of millions in taxes, the bill is coming due, and New York and Deutsche Bank want their money.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

For the exact reason that: They are not president, they openly committed fraud and corruption, and Jared is likely wanted for massive tax fraud for how he managed Trump properties in New York. Ivanka is likely going to face some sort of legal challenge from her writing off her taxes as a "contractor" while she was actively employed as a Trump Org employee.

what are they waiting for?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Woofer posted:

Good question, I don't know. But we already know New York is investigating Trump Org, they've taken statements, and Ivanka is openly worried about her tax fraud and isn't really hiding it.

Trump himself will never face any real legal repercussions outside of maybe losing a large chunk of his empire to debt proceedings, but I suspect Trump kids and others won't be as lucky.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Seems more plausible that nothing will happen rather than them just waiting in the wings for the right time to take them down. The fundamentally broken justice system isn’t going to fix itself to get into a legal battle with a former president’s kids.

E: ESPECIALLY for financial crimes that every single rich person in this country is probably guilty of.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Woofer posted:

Seems more plausible that nothing will happen rather than them just waiting in the wings for the right time to take them down. The fundamentally broken justice system isn’t going to fix itself to get into a legal battle with a former president’s kids.

Yes, but our fundamentally broken justice system loves money, and tax fraud is full of money.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

It'd be hysterical and 100% on Brand for Trump to roll on his kids as soon as he realizes he can get ahead slightly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bulletsponge13 posted:

It'd be hysterical and 100% on Brand for Trump to roll on his kids as soon as he realizes he can get ahead slightly.

He totally will, if he's told he can save any amount of his empire/name brand he'll do it in a heartbeat.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, but our fundamentally broken justice system loves money, and tax fraud is full of money.

NY has more billionaires than anywhere on earth and they don’t seem to care about the tax fraud that all of them are probably committing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Woofer posted:

NY has more billionaires than anywhere on earth and they don’t seem to care about the tax fraud that all of them are probably committing.

Because most Billionaires don't say the quiet part out loud nor have their tax fraud openly leaked.

Plenty of Tax Fraud in New York, but Trump Org is probably ones of the stupidest of the frauds.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

CommieGIR posted:

He totally will, if he's told he can save any amount of his empire/name brand he'll do it in a heartbeat.

Wait till he realizes he can blame them for everything. "I was busy being THE BEST PRESIDENT, anything illegal was done by those idiots."

Junior and Eric still haven't realized that Jared is his favorite son.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CommieGIR posted:

Because most Billionaires don't say the quiet part out loud nor have their tax fraud openly leaked.

Plenty of Tax Fraud in New York, but Trump Org is probably ones of the stupidest of the frauds.

Deutsche Bank is also after them, probably due to the PR. Anyone who takes down the Trumps, or does significant damage to them, is going to be famous at least for a little while. Have to imagine that's a part of it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

Deutsche Bank is also after them, probably due to the PR. Anyone who takes down the Trumps, or does significant damage to them, is going to be famous at least for a little while. Have to imagine that's a part of it.

I think its largely a race to see who can get their hands on the goods first, Deutsche wants Trump property to pay off the loans that they know Trump can't liquidate, and New York wants them for the back taxes and fraud.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

I suspect his plan is to say "If you really loved me, you'd plead guilty to all of it to protect me" to each of his kids.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

CommieGIR posted:

New York wants them for the back taxes and fraud.

a fraud guarantee, even.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cythereal posted:

Douchey Bank relies heavily on being the The Bank of Choice for Evil Motherfuckers so I don't have a lot of faith in their "investigation" being any more than lip service for fear of scaring their clientele.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The CIA doesn't want that Pandora's box opened.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Woofer posted:

All three defendants to be out of Federal employment.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Douchey Bank relies heavily on being the The Bank of Choice for Evil Motherfuckers so I don't have a lot of faith in their "investigation" being any more than lip service for fear of scaring their clientele.

Yeah, I think that's what he means: Trump is ruining their image as Evil Lender Inc, so they are unlikely to sit back and let him continue. And the easiest way to do that is to seize his assets to pay off the debt.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

BUG JUG posted:

All three defendants to be out of Federal employment.

Specifically for the resources of the DoJ and presidency to stop being used to run interference against their investigations.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/nickmartin/status/1336248726122242049

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Woofer posted:

Most billionaires have access to people that can keep them in the grey area without really committing outright fraud. Only the really dumb, desperate, or greedy are pushing into that area. Its just easier to have someone write up generous tax breaks or handouts to collect and do everything on the up and up.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Ah. Well. Nevertheless,

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

lightpole posted:

Most billionaires have access to people that can keep them in the grey area without really committing outright fraud. Only the really dumb, desperate, or greedy are pushing into that area. Its just easier to have someone write up generous tax breaks or handouts to collect and do everything on the up and up.

Yeah, this is the key point. Billionaires and politicians are both well known for good reason for being corrupt and using their money as a bludgeon. However most of them are also rich enough and smart enough to have the bare minimum of legal overhead to keep their tax evasion and graft within the letter of the law. Contrary to House of Cards there isn't a shadowy cabal doing actual hard crime on the regular. Its cheap and easy to shuffle legal money through offshore holdings to evade taxes it just takes a few % off the top. Trump meanwhile just does all the financial crime in the open because he's too broke and stupid to just pay the way to keep it legal.

Plus all the real crime ontop of the regular stuff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah, this is the key point. Billionaires and politicians are both well known for good reason for being corrupt and using their money as a bludgeon. However most of them are also rich enough and smart enough to have the bare minimum of legal overhead to keep their tax evasion and graft within the letter of the law. Contrary to House of Cards there isn't a shadowy cabal doing actual hard crime on the regular. Its cheap and easy to shuffle legal money through offshore holdings to evade taxes it just takes a few % off the top. Trump meanwhile just does all the financial crime in the open because he's too broke and stupid to just pay the way to keep it legal.

Plus all the real crime ontop of the regular stuff.

Its worth noting that he used to have some decent financial people: He chased them off in the 80s and 90s because he did what he always does and tries to pull the rug out from under them when payment comes due. Cohen was probably his last bag man who he used as a legal and financial bludgeon, and even Cohen got burned.

I mean, Cohen's already explained how they worked: Refuse to pay the bill and tie people up in court while sending threatening legal letters to drag them out until they either give up and take what Trump offers or simply forgot and assumed it was a lost cause.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 8, 2020

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

OH MY GOD THATS JOHN FETTERMANS MUSIC

(its in the WaPo, and Im over my limit, but linking the Twitter post regardless. He wrote an OpEd about federal legalization)

https://twitter.com/JohnFetterman/status/1336343193814585345?s=20

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That article: https://archive.is/2NF3e

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

That's a neat trick. Will have to remember that.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Also really good for saving copies of tweets, news posts, etc. that tend to get deleted or edited. It's a handy tool!

quote:

Yet one group doesn’t seem to be keeping up: the Democratic Party. Its platform on weed is now officially and politically to the right of the state of South Dakota. I’m in the camp that says that if you’re to the right of South Dakota on anything, you should use that as a moment to recalibrate your core values.

:sbahj:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Speaking of which, I heard locally that he's planning on running for Governor when Wolf's term is up, not Toomey's seat. Not sure how I feel about that.

e: I think I want him to run for Senator, and he might think about it harder if the Georgia runoffs go the way that the D's want it to.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1336426728428867591

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Trump gave someone the Medal of Freedom yesterday.

He then got bored and wandered out of the room in the middle of the ceremony.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/12/watch-trump-walk-out-of-medal-of-freedom-ceremony.html

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

McNally posted:

Trump gave someone the Medal of Freedom yesterday.

He then got bored and wandered out of the room in the middle of the ceremony.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/12/watch-trump-walk-out-of-medal-of-freedom-ceremony.html

"Here, here's your dumb medal, I'm gonna go pout now."

For what it's worth, the ABC affiliate in Columbus, OH (Sinclair-owned) broke this news by saying this ends it.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

For what it's worth, the ABC affiliate in Columbus, OH (Sinclair-owned) broke this news by saying this ends it.

I hope so, but I doubt the GOP propaganda machine is going to stop it's messaging anytime soon. I'm uncertain if there will develop a schism or simply a divided party because a multitude of networks and messaging. Hopefully that would be helpful to moving forwards in this country, but we'll see. there's a part of me that still expects isolated terror events from domestic terror groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

https://twitter.com/attackerman/status/1336400902098444291

A bit more good news

quote:

In response, Houlahan crafted an NDAA amendment that at first barred the use of unidentified security officials during invocation of the Insurrection Act of 1807. That act, which Trump threatened to exercise, empowers presidents to use the military in extraordinary domestic circumstances. The Pentagon leadership, after first wavering, rejected an active-duty role in suppressing the protests.

Accordingly, Houlahan and her allies broadened the measure. It now requires identification of all security forces by name or unique identifier and “the armed force, Federal entity, or other organization by which such individual is employed” under all circumstances when “a member of the armed forces (including the National Guard) or Federal law enforcement personnel provide support to Federal authorities to respond to a civil disturbance.”