Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I get that they're going with her not being able to fly (yet, I bet that'll be at the climax of this movie) but sheesh, there's gotta be a better way to depict her moving fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'd like anyone here to name a single movie or TV show where fast looking running done in this manner (meaning they aren't so fast they're a blur and you're not showing them as being fast by slowing down time around them) has ever once looked good. Because it never has and always looks weird and doesn't look any weirder here than it does anywhere else.

Underworld :colbert:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Phylodox posted:

Captain America: Civil War :colbert:

Also First Avenger. The bit where Cap, fresh out of the super soldier treatment, starts running after a car, realizes he's gaining, and gets a big dopey grin on his face was one of the high points of the early MCU.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Also First Avenger. The bit where Cap, fresh out of the super soldier treatment, starts running after a car, realizes he's gaining, and gets a big dopey grin on his face was one of the high points of the early MCU.

The first half of that movie is so good and then it just sinks into some by-the-numbers war piece, and then rushes to get the pieces in place for Avengers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Go get 'em, I can swim!"

I think I was sold there.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'd like anyone here to name a single movie or TV show where fast looking running done in this manner (meaning they aren't so fast they're a blur and you're not showing them as being fast by slowing down time around them) has ever once looked good. Because it never has and always looks weird and doesn't look any weirder here than it does anywhere else.

The Incredible Hulk. When Blonsky is running after fighting the hulk at the university.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I think every example here looks goofy as poo poo so maybe the issue is with me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In the first Underworld film there's a scene with "fast running" that was achieved with little CG and it looks great for the time.

https://youtu.be/t2GU--3hFrE?t=427

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Civil War example is probably the best and even then it's used somewhat sparingly.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I didn't think it looked that bad, a little when she first gets out but they cover their rear end after that.

Are we this hard up for comicbook movie news? I blame covid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've seen BTS stuff of another running scene in 1984, and they used wires to achieve it. Gal Gadot just ran while suspended to accelerate her and it looked fine.

I guess the logistics of that scene meant they couldn't do it that way though.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I didn't think it looked that bad, a little when she first gets out but they cover their rear end after that.

Are we this hard up for comicbook movie news? I blame covid.

I mean, the real issue are the obvious cheat shots to conceal it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

In the first Underworld film there's a scene with "fast running" that was achieved with little CG and it looks great for the time.

Got you covered

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Vince MechMahon posted:

Infinity War when the armies are racing towards each other with Cap and Black Panther pulling ahead of everyone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Got you covered

Great minds!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Rhyno posted:

The first Underworld movie is a really underappreciated technical special effects gem.

Terrible loving script, though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

Aren't basically all Tom Cruise movies filmed around trying to find ways to have him running on screen because it looks so intense?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The first Underworld movie is a really underappreciated technical special effects gem.

Terrible loving script, though.

Michael Sheen elevates everything he appears in.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Dave posted:

Aren't basically all Tom Cruise movies filmed around trying to find ways to have him running on screen because it looks so intense?

He's running at a normal speed. Same with the l infinity war example. Just a guy running isn't what's being talked about here and everyone knows it. In infinity war for example that effect is "everyone run a little slower than Chad and Chris," it's not even a real effect. Yes I know it was most likely composited, the running isn't the effect though.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
My world history is bad, why is Diana fighting a caravan of brown people in the desert in 1984?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SonicRulez posted:

My world history is bad, why is Diana fighting a caravan of brown people in the desert in 1984?

'Murica, probably.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SonicRulez posted:

Well that was during the Russian invasion of Afghanistan

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wasn't the mujahideen friends with USA at that time?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

FlamingLiberal posted:

So she's fighting the brave fighters of the mujahideen?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alhazred posted:

Wasn't the mujahideen friends with USA at that time?
Correct

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pretty bold of DC to side with Soviet.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Frankly that clip looks kinda half finished. Like my first impression is that there's some kind of missing effects pass to add stuff like bullet impacts on the ground, some kind of notion of mass to her jumping on to the door of the truck, things like that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

site posted:

Never forget that Rambo fought with the Mujahideen in Rambo 3 and even respected what brave and noble fighters they were.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Superfast running always looks weird on screen. Like how many seasons of the Flash have we got and its always looked goofy. Yea that's a TV show, but most movies don't have much better effects for it. Either you just have them moving at a normal speed while everything is slowed down or you just have them as a blur.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 8, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/getfandom/status/1336382080305881088?s=21

FOLKS

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Superfast running always looks weird on screen. Like how many seasons of the Flash have we got and its always looked goofy. Yea that's a TV show, but most movies don't have much better effects for it. Either you just have them moving at a normal speed while everything is slowed down or you just have them as a blur.

In WW84 what if they filmed where Wonder Woman is moving in Slow Motion but she's supposed to be moving at super speed?

Because that's what they did in that scene. It's baffling.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Are we sure that Raimi is only directing Doctor Strange 2?
:thunk:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

site posted:

Maybe later she goes to help the IDF too

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Are we sure that Raimi is only directing Doctor Strange 2?
:thunk:

Yeah on the one hand its pretty funny, on the other its starting to feel strange how hard Spidey 3 will apparently be leaning on the raimi movies

^^^ tbh I was trying very hard not to make a jab at her being an Israeli nationalist

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

Yeah on the one hand its pretty funny, on the other its strange how hard Spidey 3 will apparently be leaning on the raimi movies

What if every Spidey anything from here on out forever is just more Spider-Verse? - Marvel, back in 2017 or whenever the first Spider-Verse event happened

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I don't care what the broader implications are, I'm always on board for Alfred Molina.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/AnotherElle/status/1336387637838491649?s=19

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Oh hell yeah!!

My secret hope is that they get Chad Kroeger and the Saliva guy back to do the theme song again.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

tbh I'm not really that enthusiastic about the live-action Spider-Verse, just tell a drat Spider-Man story in the MCU ffs

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think it's just gonna be a sinister six story but with stunt casting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

I think it's just gonna be a sinister six story but with stunt casting

The world is ready for Paul Giamatti to have more than 40 seconds of screen time as Aleksei