Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Yeah but have you considered this route:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=lRTF_5lrW-U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

chestnut santabag posted:

Lol what the gently caress

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

see, this is why i can't really get mad at a game that exceeds my abilities. i'm okay at this game but i'll never be able to do that -- but i love that that guy did, and shared it with us.

i would have loved it even more if he hosed it up post-Path of Pain out of sheer hubris, but that's part of the fun

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

see, this is why i can't really get mad at a game that exceeds my abilities. i'm okay at this game but i'll never be able to do that -- but i love that that guy did, and shared it with us.

i would have loved it even more if he hosed it up post-Path of Pain out of sheer hubris, but that's part of the fun

if they had touched the spikes in the last room and immediately force quit the game to desktop i think it'd have been the greatest work of comedy in the modern era

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

f#a# posted:

Just did it, here are my tips (it sounds like you did it too but hey, whatever):

- Use Shaman Stone, Spell Twister, Mark of Pride. Grubberfly's Elegy is also helpful but is a liability in Fog Canyon, be wary.
- Take the tram over to Crossroads. Down to Gruz Mother, then left to Fog Canyon.
- Vengeful Spirit/Shade Soul the Furious Vengeflies—one SS will kill them. One who is below you in the first goam room can be baited and become stuck so you can hit him through the floor, just jump out and back. Another who is up a ramp after alternating goams can be quickly abyssal shrieked and you can charge on before he explodes.
- Take your time descending Fog Canyon to Teacher's Archives. Try not to do anything offensive whatsoever as you might pop a kamikaze jellyfish. It's possible to make it down that screen without touching anything.
- You'll only need to shade soul one flying mantis in Queen's Gardens, shouldn't be a problem.
- Don't double jump in the last thorny room.

Here's the full attempt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvMCL3k1F24

Much better idea:
Pop the dream nail outside the Grey mourner's route, don't bother to pick up the flower.
Do the route normally with whatever the hell you like, clearing EVERYTHING. Explosive jellyfish, the works. Don't touch any benches, but do use the hot pools.
Practice the last jump over the thorns like 6 times.
Dream nail back, pick up flower, walk through the route uncontested.

This is way, way easier than actually trying to clear things untouched. I also used summons because they're fun and can pop the jellyfish well offscreen safely.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

iirc you can also cheese it like so:
sit on the queen's gardens stag bench. make your way to the flower giver, using stags if you want. get the flower then exit your game and reload it. you should be back on the queen's gardens bench.

not 100% sure this works but it shouldn't take long to attempt

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

b_d posted:

iirc you can also cheese it like so:
sit on the queen's gardens stag bench. make your way to the flower giver, using stags if you want. get the flower then exit your game and reload it. you should be back on the queen's gardens bench.

not 100% sure this works but it shouldn't take long to attempt

nope! Picking up the flower instantly sets your respawn point to the bench outside the mourner's hut.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

ah well.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only hard part of the route is the final jump, that’s why it sucks.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ya I failed that quest at the end a few times. So very frustrating.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i didn't even know that path through the white palace was there, what the gently caress

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

i didn't even know that path through the white palace was there, what the gently caress

The Path of Pain was added in for the platforming masochists. You get a brief cinematic that expands on the lore but it’s completely optional to complete.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Do it, it’s fun!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The best thing about that isn't that he's clearly so very practiced on the Path of Pain, no hesitations anywhere, but that he took absolutely no loving chances on any of the combat encounters before and after. The astristocrat mooks in the City and the spitting spiders in deepnest where approached with such utmost caution that I find it hilarious.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

To be fair, spitting enemies are awful and I hate them all with the fiery wrath of a thousand burning suns :argh:

Look at this motherfucker. Doesn't he make you want to smash his stupid face right in? Go on, you can say it here, this is a safe space.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bravaa

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Rappaport posted:

To be fair, spitting enemies are awful and I hate them all with the fiery wrath of a thousand burning suns :argh:

Look at this motherfucker. Doesn't he make you want to smash his stupid face right in? Go on, you can say it here, this is a safe space.
Before godmaster primal aspid was this thread's number one enemy. Now it's Zote, probably.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Okay, so this is my third playthrough of Hollow Knight. In all of them I have gotten the Void Heart and then just...given up after like three Radiance attempts. In this one, I got further with 2400 essence and all charms—I'm at 105%—but I still need to do NKG, Fool, and Radiance, and just don't have much desire to complete the game.

what do i doooo

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

f#a# posted:

Okay, so this is my third playthrough of Hollow Knight. In all of them I have gotten the Void Heart and then just...given up after like three Radiance attempts. In this one, I got further with 2400 essence and all charms—I'm at 105%—but I still need to do NKG, Fool, and Radiance, and just don't have much desire to complete the game.

what do i doooo

Go play a different game. Don't play games you don't want to play.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Radiance is probably the easiest of those 3, as I beat it her on my first playthrough but couldn't do fool. It's not an unfair fight, with a bunch of bullshit in it (cough cough Zote, Fool), but is just something that takes a lot of practice.

That being said, don't do it if you don't like it. The GodHome pantheons are worth a crack, as the first few are filled with easy bosses. But if you're done with the game, just move on.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Serephina posted:

Radiance is probably the easiest of those 3, as I beat it her on my first playthrough but couldn't do fool. It's not an unfair fight, with a bunch of bullshit in it (cough cough Zote, Fool), but is just something that takes a lot of practice.

That being said, don't do it if you don't like it. The GodHome pantheons are worth a crack, as the first few are filled with easy bosses. But if you're done with the game, just move on.

I somehow had a harder time with Radiance than NKG, though NKG also clicked for me and is still probably my favorite boss fight ever. Wait, no, Mantises.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I think i found Fool the easiest, then NKG, then Radiance. I'm a very defensive player though, so Radiance forcing me to be defensive for so goddamn long just made me suffer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Fool is more draining to me because of how long you can be at it and then fail at the end; NKG and Radiance are more merciful IMO by virtue of being boss fights you can just bang your head against.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

For me it's definitely Radiance, then Trial of the Fool, then NKG. Radiance only took me, like, three good tries to beat, once I knew what I was doing it wasn't too bad. NKG took me multiple days of work.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I beat radiance and NKG without much trouble but I haven't bothered with fool, because fool isn't actually fun at all so I just decided not to bother after like 5 attempts.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I did fool by putting on the fast healing charm, the quick strike, the steady body, and long nail or Mark of pride. For me it was all about fast strikes and fast healing in between rounds. But yeah it’s still a hard challenge.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I beat NKG after A LOT of tries. I beat Radiance pretty quickly, probably less than 10 attempts. I never even bothered finishing the Trial of the Fool, because it was too long and frustrating. :shrug:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I think i spent a good 3.5 hours one night working on NKG, then turned around the next morning and got it like second try.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I was ready go give up while fighting radiance. Then I decided to look up some strategy and found out that I was already at the last phase and won a few tries later.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mantis lords is just so cool

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oh the rest of the city is mind controlled by some kind of idiot blight? Not us, we're just badass battle sisters we don't give a gently caress about no lame as gently caress moth god

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

QuarkJets posted:

Oh the rest of the city is mind controlled by some kind of idiot blight? Not us, we're just badass battle sisters we don't give a gently caress about no lame as gently caress moth god

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

shaman stone is very helpful for trial of the fool because if you have the upgraded fireball it one-shots primal aspids and those squit(?) things.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Likewise nail arts, things I normally never use, come into their own during Fool for one-shotting them. And the optional charm is only one notch.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Just popping in to say I beat The Radiance :toot:. Took about ten attempts last night and beat him on the third time that I had gotten to the platform phase. I was worried that I was only half done with the fight at that point but nope, three abyssal shrieks later and I'm good!

It's not that I didn't like this game...quite the opposite, actually! It's just that with some of my favorites, I get to the final boss and either don't want the experience to end, or have reached the end of the power curve and lose interest. But I still like closure! Happy to have that here, finally :)

f#a# fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 11, 2020

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I barely even glanced at Godhome since I had hit 106% on the Switch when it came out, but in my second play through thanks to PS+ I’m hittin’ the Pantheons.

And I hit Pure Vessel for the first time last night. :kstare:

Checking on what I have to do *after* that, I’m not sure I’m gonna be hitting that Platinum after all.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I got to nailsage Sly last night, then tried him again in the chamber to practice. Yup, he's exactly as buzzsaw murder as he looked in videos. Gonna take a bit of practice, for sure.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

f#a# posted:

Just popping in to say I beat The Radiance :toot:. Took about ten attempts last night and beat him on the third time that I had gotten to the platform phase. I was worried that I was only half done with the fight at that point but nope, three abyssal shrieks later and I'm good!

It's not that I didn't like this game...quite the opposite, actually! It's just that with some of my favorites, I get to the final boss and either don't want the experience to end, or have reached the end of the power curve and lose interest. But I still like closure! Happy to have that here, finally :)

Nice job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Serephina posted:

I got to nailsage Sly last night, then tried him again in the chamber to practice. Yup, he's exactly as buzzsaw murder as he looked in videos. Gonna take a bit of practice, for sure.

Just skip this post if you don't want unsolicited tips for that fight

Tip: Sly is all about counterattacking.

He has this tendency to take a swing towards you if you're standing near him after he does a combo, and that swing leaves him very vulnerable. But you can stand right outside of the range of that swing and he'll still do it, whereas if you stand too far away then he'll just go to his next big move. So if you figure out the positioning to make him perform those swings without hitting you (e.g. not too close, not too far) then you can get a lot of free damage against him.

Likewise his three swing combo ends with him launching into the air while spinning his nail around. There's a spot you can stand in after the second swing that will keep you safe from his spin while also leaving you right next to where he lands. That's another easy way to get 2-3 hits each time