Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Weedle posted:

it seems like these days christopher nolan is less into making movies for audiences to have fun watching and more into making movies for audiences to read articles about behind-the-scenes technical wizardry

the kojima of film directors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the kojima of film directors?

not nearly weird/perverted enough

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I said come in! posted:

Nolan has lost a lot of good will with people since the Dark Knight trilogy, and especially with Tenet

I liked Inception well enough and Interstellar a lot, but it sounds like Tenet was the point where everyone just collectively stopped indulging him

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I said come in! posted:

Instead of just doing the normal thing and using camera trickery, and clever editing, Nolan required that the actors do all of their action moves in reverse, and it's completely nuts to see this done in the behind the scenes footage.

He's like a hardcore gamer, but for movies...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I will always appreciate Interstellar both for naming Matt Damon's character Dr. Mann then real hamhandedly declaring him to be the real monster and for remembering that 2010: Odyssey Two existed, which nobody else but me did

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Weedle posted:

it seems like these days christopher nolan is less into making movies for audiences to have fun watching and more into making movies for audiences to read articles about behind-the-scenes technical wizardry

Dunkirk is probably his most grounded movie as far as crazy poo poo. Inception, he created an actual hotel hallway on a moving platform, Interstellar the two robots are real, and Matthew McConaughey was actually flung into a black hole.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Prestige is a legitimately GREAT film, just superbly written, edited and acted. But from TDK onwards Nolan has gradually become more plodding, ponderous and self-indulgent, not in a way that completely kills his movies but enough to keep them from truly being that great again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I will always appreciate Interstellar both for naming Matt Damon's character Dr. Mann then real hamhandedly declaring him to be the real monster and for remembering that 2010: Odyssey Two existed, which nobody else but me did

John Lithgow should have been the protag in Interstellar.

Honestly though it shouldn't be too much longer until Nolan retires, he is only allowed to make movies so long as Michael Cain is alive to be in them.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Games chat, what brand do you all use for a soundbar for your TV? I am in need of a new soundbar for my TV, mine just broke. It's a Vizio.
this is where i smugly post, i don't believe in soundbars

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

The Prestige is a legitimately GREAT film, just superbly written, edited and acted. But from TDK onwards Nolan has gradually become more plodding, ponderous and self-indulgent, not in a way that completely kills his movies but enough to keep them from truly being that great again.

The Prestige is so good that I routinely forget it's a Nolan film at all

Insomnia is also very underrated

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

homeless snail posted:

I bet you're not at least a headphone user, you TV speaker kind make me sick. :colbert:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

The Prestige is so good that I routinely forget it's a Nolan film at all

Insomnia is also very underrated

everything up to and including the dark knight whips rear end, then it's bad news from inception on. imo.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I bet you're not at least a headphone user, you TV speaker kind make me sick. :colbert:
tv speakers no no no, I'm a 7.1 surround sound guy

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

homeless snail posted:

tv speakers no no no, I'm a 7.1 surround sound guy

okay phew we good. I should really figure out getting surround sound setup properly in my living room. It really is a game changer in video games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless snail posted:

I didn't either until I got one, it's p good

It's a Bose one I got on sale

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
We don't have a soundbar, but that's mostly because I'm hoping to get some better sound equipment connected at some point, and a soundbar doesn't really work in the space

Eh, maybe it'd work in the space

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the other day i had the privilege of being invited to imagine a john woo remake of insomnia in which al pacino dives sideways through the fog, blasting his partner eleven times with guns akimbo. good stuff

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Oh, and I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to audio tech

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've not seen Tenet but the Prestige is wonderful. The only one of his that I've not really enjoyed that much is Dunkirk - which was fine I guess.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Weedle posted:

everything up to and including the dark knight whips rear end, then it's bad news from inception on. imo.

I liked Inception as a fun heist movie with cool visuals but it's nothing deeper than that, that's for sure

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
https://twitter.com/lowpolyanimals/status/1336385058723270657?s=21

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sometimes I want to come back to Twitter again when I see accounts like this one, but then I remember the rest of the site cancels it out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Did anyone else hear the Deus Ex menu theme lol

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

I said come in! posted:

Sometimes I want to come back to Twitter again when I see accounts like this one, but then I remember the rest of the site cancels it out.

if its any consolation I just had the exact same thought

Weedle
May 31, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

baaaaa badadum da dum da daaaaaa dododo dooooooo
baaaaa badadum da dum da daaaaaa deedlee deeeeeee

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1336389181988343812?s=20

So if it's not being addressed Day 0 how the gently caress did this pass cert?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

It's just an honor system.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Vorik posted:

I don't think people calling out your weirdly aggressive posts is thread making GBS threads. You should post less like an idiot.

Cyberpunk thread already full of poo poo today. Jesus that place is loving stupid

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

my guess is that the certification process isn't actually adequate or effective at its stated purpose and the only reason this doesn't happen more often is that devs & publishers are usually smart enough to catch this stuff before submitting it for review

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

Cyberpunk thread already full of poo poo today. Jesus that place is loving stupid

quit whining here and get back into the trenches, nerd

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Weedle posted:

my guess is that the certification process isn't actually adequate or effective at its stated purpose and the only reason this doesn't happen more often is that devs & publishers are usually smart enough to catch this stuff before submitting it for review

Cert is meant to catch issues that make the game unplayable (for everyone, all the time) or that violate platform rules, it's not a substitute for in-house QA and it's not going to catch design issues where the game works as intended but the intent is bad. It's definitely plausible that it slipped through the cracks

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Oxxidation posted:

quit whining here and get back into the trenches, nerd

Don't call me a nerd, geek!!! :mad:

;)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

haveblue posted:

Cert is meant to catch issues that make the game unplayable (for everyone, all the time) or that violate platform rules, it's not a substitute for in-house QA and it's not going to catch design issues where the game works as intended but the intent is bad. It's definitely plausible that it slipped through the cracks

I'm sort of surprised that Sony/MS don't include that in the platform rules though. 'Avoid content that actively harms players' seems like a no brainer.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Simone Magus posted:

I know it's frustrating but please don't do this in the future.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Reflexively turned down my speakers.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I got out of the 13 Sentinels Prologue, and just looking at these story charts is great. Scratches that impulse to not leave anything unexplored well

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Waffleman_ posted:

But look at that EULA the tweet points us to. Look at how witty it is. Doesn't that make everything better?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

stev posted:

I'm sort of surprised that Sony/MS don't include that in the platform rules though. 'Avoid content that actively harms players' seems like a no brainer.

They could do this but it wouldn't be able to be enforced. In fact, this is kinda what the ESRB is meant for, however, their rating system and guidelines havent been updated since the 90s because the board of directors for the ESRB is literally all of the biggest video game executives in the industry. Making the ESRB effectively useless.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Viewtiful Jew posted:

But look at that EULA the tweet points us to. Look at how witty it is. Doesn't that make everything better?

EULA's are also not legally binding contracts anyways, although their enforcement comes down to which party is able to bring a lawyer to court, which is almost always the game company, so its a moot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

CottonWolf posted:

Saints Row 3 was pretty progressive, yeah.

Maybe by the standards of the Xbox 360 generation.