Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
IOSM is coming form inside the thread again.

Edit: lovely snipe, but also an evergreen sentiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The person giving it a 9/10 is a different person than the one who had seizures.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

christmas boots posted:

The person giving it a 9/10 is a different person than the one who had seizures.

I feel like "it tried to kill me" versus "it tried to kill my coworker" isn't the most meaningful of distinctions for rating a product

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The movie Free Willy of all things was notorious for triggering seizures, many things are - not that you shouldn’t have the option of turning these things off in games and they certainly don’t belong on TV, but if you have serious epilepsy the list is loooong.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

learnincurve posted:

The movie Free Willy of all things was notorious for triggering seizures, many things are - not that you shouldn’t have the option of turning these things off in games and they certainly don’t belong on TV, but if you have serious epilepsy the list is loooong.

Yea that sucks.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

learnincurve posted:

On the other hand it sounds like the effect in Cyberpunk is extremely close to/possibly modeled off a device designed with the sole purpose of inducing seizures which probably isn't the case with Free Willy.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

I'm still gonna play it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

The Moon Monster posted:

On the other hand it sounds like the effect in Cyberpunk is extremely close to/possibly modeled off a device designed with the sole purpose of inducing seizures which probably isn't the case with Free Willy.

Yeah, it seems like they did precisely enough research to get to the part where they had a model for a cool medical-looking helmet and then stopped there, right before the bit where the article explained what it was used for.

It's not the players that matter for this poo poo, by the way- it's the loving streamers and, more importantly, stream viewers who tune in after the big fat epilepsy warnings. And for folks who will respond to this with some variant of "gently caress stream viewers," maybe reserve that sentiment for a situation where they're not fourteen-year-olds actually risking death because they tuned in to watch their favourite shouty man play a video game.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

learnincurve posted:

Should be noted that this woman decided to ignore the fact that there would be a epilepsy warning test done by several agencies and charities in a safe and risk assessment friendly way, but went ahead and decided to give herself repeated fits while making a list.
"Would be" isn't much help when it happens after game release.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be Cyberpunk won’t be ready for release for about two more months

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

If you don’t think epileptics are capable of, and do, check the epilepsy warnings before playing or watching anything then just wow. It’s something that becomes the default, and most epileptics have friends or family that will check for them if they are unsure so they don’t have to risk it. Especially true in that he UK where it gets complicated by meds and driving licences.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

It's more that I fully believe one can easily end up at an accidental epilepsy trigger just because many things that non-epileptics don't think about can trigger epilepsy. However, when the thing that triggers epilepsy in your game is almost identical to a medical procedure designed to trigger epileptic fits in a controlled diagnostic capacity, you have somehow hit the loving bullseye of accidental epilepsy triggers, and it sounds like it might trigger fits in people who might not be aware they're epileptic because it's so designed to trigger the brain into an epileptic fit.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Somfin posted:

Yeah, it seems like they did precisely enough research to get to the part where they had a model for a cool medical-looking helmet and then stopped there, right before the bit where the article explained what it was used for.

It's not the players that matter for this poo poo, by the way- it's the loving streamers and, more importantly, stream viewers who tune in after the big fat epilepsy warnings. And for folks who will respond to this with some variant of "gently caress stream viewers," maybe reserve that sentiment for a situation where they're not fourteen-year-olds actually risking death because they tuned in to watch their favourite shouty man play a video game.

The "helmet" bit in photic stimulation is actually just an EEG, it's scanning the brain for what it's doing while the lights flash. The flashing light bit in photic stimulation is just basically a flashlight. Neither of them is anything like that braindance footage we got a few months ago, that was more like a VR headset.

Also:

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1336389181988343812

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does the game need the epileptic trigger, I guess would be the suggestion?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

Does the game need the epileptic trigger, I guess would be the suggestion?

Remotely triggering seizures in people via computers is pretty cyberpunk.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suspect people are playing the game to be the cyber punk not to get cyber punked.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
seizure lights removed, replaced with straight up snowcrash

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
"My fabrege artistic vision!" I scream as I throw myself on the keyboard of the lead dev to prevent him from putting in a "fade through black instead" option.

Also the main reason people are noticing this is that this was apparently worth death-marching their developers for.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Dec 8, 2020

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Keanu Reeves killing people with lights to the head instead of bullets.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Push El Burrito posted:

Keanu Reeves killing people with lights to the head instead of bullets.

Whoa

Ceci n'est pass une one-word post.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I find it troublesome enough when a game relies on colour to convey important information and that doesn't even try to kill me IRL.

We should have gamer class consciousness imo.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Dec 8, 2020

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/JasonBouchard88/status/1336340877929820160

https://twitter.com/JarJarFan69/status/1336345187300229120

♪ This is not where you belong. ♪

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I find it troublesome enough when a game relies on colour to convey important information and that doesn't even try to kill me IRL.

We should have gamer class consciousness imo.

Have I got a failed video game system for you! It's even red so you know the proletarian vanguard will love it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's a loving shame modern video games aren't chiefly software that can be very easily edited ("patched," one might call it) post-release, to add content, remove glitches, and reduce the amount of content that is literally capable of killing people.

Perhaps, we will develop some kind of interconnective network that allows us to share software across distant hubs of information. Perhaps even a measure that can prevent developing such products, like an easily available database which contains descriptions of what kind of visual stimuli could be fatal.

But where do you think we are? The cyberpunk future of the year 2077? We haven't even made a machine that can kill people using visual stimuli unless they already have a condition which renders them vulnerable, give it time!

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Oh hey the lead singer still has his personal account, and he is going to take this on.

https://twitter.com/ChristaylorBrwn/status/1336368462541819905

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bugsy posted:

Oh hey the lead singer still has his personal account, and he is going to take this on.

HEADSTRONG I'LL TAKE YOU ALL ON

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Is he the same guy who threatened to sue someone for calling him a Nazi, even though he was totally a Nazi?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

This news has me feeling headstrong and ready to take on anyone

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Midnight Voyager posted:

The "helmet" bit in photic stimulation is actually just an EEG, it's scanning the brain for what it's doing while the lights flash. The flashing light bit in photic stimulation is just basically a flashlight. Neither of them is anything like that braindance footage we got a few months ago, that was more like a VR headset.

Also:

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1336389181988343812

ah yes the eula, definitely a thing people read any word of

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

christmas boots posted:

If i were a magazine editor I would probably ask the writer of the review to possibly revise their score when the game tried to kill one of their coworkers. If they refused I might consider not running the review at all.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Trapt’s terrible Twitter was the single thing keeping them relevant in TYOOL 2020. Ha!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Skwirl posted:

If i were a magazine editor I would probably ask the writer of the review to possibly revise their score when the game tried to kill one of their coworkers. If they refused I might consider not running the review at all.

Allegedly!

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Skwirl posted:

A good take on ethics in video game journalism.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

mds2 posted:

Trapt’s terrible Twitter was the single thing keeping them relevant in TYOOL 2020. Ha!

It's also why they didn't even last a week between moving to parler and tweeting again.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Revise it how, though?

Taking off a point or two seems really insensitive. You could give it a big fat 0 but that's basically just omitting a score, not revising it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
How is that insensitive? Hurting the devs feelings for pointing out their failures?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

How is that insensitive? Hurting the devs feelings for pointing out their failures?
Because it's such a small act. If you take off a point or two for "it tried to kill my coworker" it makes it sound like you're not taking it seriously.

"still an 8/10 experience"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Defective, dangerous products deserve lower review scores, and every defect discovered should lower the score further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Bugsy posted:

Really gunning for the "worst musician called Chris Brown" award, isn't he?