Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaKR-lor5Uc

Some parts, like Mechanical Age, look way better. Other things are a matter of taste, just different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So I won’t be able to play this on my index for the time being, right?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bad Munki posted:

So I won’t be able to play this on my index for the time being, right?

Yeah, they've said they'll port it to pcvr but no release date.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Please god let this be good

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Zaphod42 posted:

I honestly hated the Jeff section and it made me put the game down for a few days.

I would love to have more combine and ant-lion shooting and less Jeff! But I know I'm a weenie with horror compared to most.

Agreed, I'm a bit of a horror wimp and Alyx seemed to lean much more into it than other half life titles (episode one notwithstanding)

SCheeseman posted:

Near field interactions in VR are (broadly) hand-based interactions, which are usually abstracted out in flatscreen games as button presses or minigames. Turning the radio dial, fixing the water pumps, the notebook, flashlight and the way weapons feel and gun reloads work take advantage of VR motion controls in satisfying way.

Ah, I get it. Yeah, WD did a fantastic job of that. When I play skyrim VR now I really miss the interactively of looting by opening individual drawers, having items actually exist in a physical space before I pick them up, opening doors, adjusting knobs, it's all very immersive and well done.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
VR Riven please

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't get his point. Why would they ever do this anyways? It would would just be giving their sales away to steam.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I don't get his point. Why would they ever do this anyways? It would would just be giving their sales away to steam.

I guess the point is that they are focused on Quest and don't care anymore for PCVR.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Focusing on Quest by only funding Quest exclusives in the future? Sure. Closing off a PCVR money hose and making their own bankrolled Rift PC exclusives unbuyable because reasons... No way. That doesn't even make any sense.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ok finally got my Oculus Quest 2, after using/borrowing my brothers. This poo poo is so fun, but does anyone else get stretch marks after long sessions? My strap is just tight enough and not too tight.

Anyhow what are some fun games like Beat Saber which are playable at any time and not really like traditional games where you have to commit a lot of time on the device.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://developer.oculus.com/blog/bringing-phase-sync-to-mobile-vr/

New tech to improve latency on Quest

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

yay all the way. day 1 purchase.

Zaphod42 posted:

Parts of this look great, the wood grain inside that building is super nice PBR looking.

But then the brick texture outside looks super flat and cheap. But, as shown previously, I'm a weirdo hardcore Myst nerd who thinks the original pre-rendered release has the most aesthetically pleasing graphics :cheeky:

Myst is a great game regardless of which version you play it on, can't go wrong, and playing it in VR should be really fun and compelling.

The only real question is how much they put into like, VR interactions. Do you reach out and pull the levers of the game, or do you just "click" on them in some fashion? Assuming its the former, should be great.

If you haven't played Myst before try not to spoil the puzzles for yourself, its really quite satisfying to work out. It can be tricky though so I can give light spoiler-free hints if needed!

Theres a certainly aesthetic quality to "early 90's cgi rendering" that is almost so intrinsically linked to "Myst" that I can understand preferring that look, even if its technically in every way worse. Almost a Tron sort of quality in a way.

One of the things Myst gets kind of retroactively remembered for is this idea of like, pointless hard puzzles, but really, that mostly comes from all the myst copycats that flooded out and just had a bunch of sliding block puzzles. Outside of a couple notable examples, one of the strengths of Myst was the puzzles weren't arbitrary things that took you out of it. Everything could be figured out by researching books and things around the islands, and thinking it through.

Really gets dinged too much based on its copycats i feel.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tom Guycot posted:

Really gets dinged too much based on its copycats i feel.

I agree, but balancing puzzles for a wide audience is really hard. One person's impossible challenge is trivial to another.

Generally I like the Myst puzzles, except the Maze Runner, gently caress that part.

Riven is a much prettier world but a much harder game. The fire marble domes, oh my.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

my buddy just got his index, what are the secret best co-op vr games? i already have bridge crew and croteam bundle.

beatsaber mp is low effort disappointing crap

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zaphod42 posted:

I agree, but balancing puzzles for a wide audience is really hard. One person's impossible challenge is trivial to another.

Generally I like the Myst puzzles, except the Maze Runner, gently caress that part.

Riven is a much prettier world but a much harder game. The fire marble domes, oh my.

Though whether difficult or easy, making the puzzles integrated to the game, and solvable from within the game makes all the difference compared to poo poo where you like, come to a door and have to solve a sliding block puzzle, then another door and you have to solve a stacking puzzle. Like, poo poo that just feels like minigame collections, thats what I really mean about Myst compared to its clones. Myst feels (mostly) organic.

The maze though, lol can gently caress right off.

Thankfully its been so long i no longer remember a single last puzzle so the game should be fresh to go through from scratch :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

my buddy just got his index, what are the secret best co-op vr games? i already have bridge crew and croteam bundle.

Phasmophobia is a lot of fun.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Jenny Agutter posted:

Its kinda old at this point, but killing floor incursion can be played co-op the whole campaign. Payday 2, is pretty good for a conversion from 2d. I think windlands 2 has up to 4 player co-op? Depending on how well you can tolerate jank, Pulsar can be fun. You'd need revive, but stormland is co-op, and from other suns is a co-op roguelike FTL clone. Theres always arizona sunshine, though thats getting a bit long in the tooth. You can fly front and back seat in DCS. Theres a lot of team based games you could play together, though, not really co-op.

co-op is slim pickings in vr

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Turin Turambar posted:

I guess the point is that they are focused on Quest and don't care anymore for PCVR.

They just did a big release saying Link is out of beta, I doubt they're going to cut it off. Especially since they don't really make any money on hardware, limiting your software sales seems like a not likely move.

I think the idea of combining the stores makes sense and would simplify, but that doesn't really have anything to do with MoH. Occam's razor on this is probably they just renegotiated the publishing deal at some point.

Jenny Agutter posted:

The Forest if you have your VR legs.

Iron Wolf if you want more things like Bridge Crew.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think they had a talk on the PC version of this at Oculus Connect (4? 3?), but I don’t have the link to hand.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Anyone been having recent issues with Virtual Desktop? I believe its probably my environment but they've had a flurry of releases so its hard to nail it down.

On the other hand, I've finally spent more time with Link for the first time since release and it's gotten SOOOOO much better. Impressed by the improvement in relatively short amount of time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Will this be Oculus exclusive?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I said come in! posted:

Will this be Oculus exclusive?

They said they’re bringing it to steam, but haven’t said when, so “yes, temporarily”.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

So for the last week I've been trying a 3d printed facial interface for the G2 to reduce eye relief and increase FOV. It provides a very significant increase in FOV from the stock interface by bringing your eyes 15mm closer to the lenses. I haven't measured it but I'd say the difference is similar to an index at max eye relief and min eye relief. I do need to get some better facial foam to improve comfort from the weatherstripping I'm currently using :shepface:

I've used it for some 2 hr DCS sessions and the comfort is actually not that bad even with the very dense foam I'm using for padding. The guy that made the stl adaped the index facial interface from the valve HDK so I'm going to try ordering some index foam and see what that feels like. If you have a G2 though and want more FOV this is a great option. I tried going back to the stock interface and it really is a massive improvement.

Heres the thingiverse link if you want to try it. Its not a perfect model and there is more light leaking than the stock one. I'm going to see what I can do about modifying it to more precisely fit the G2 as the guy that made this one doesn't seem to be interested in doing so. For the time being I've filled the holes with more foam tape.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4666466

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I think they had a talk on the PC version of this at Oculus Connect (4? 3?), but I don’t have the link to hand.

They did. It's a 'port' of the tech to the Quest, not really new.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

The G2 gasket looks almost identical to the one on the Index. Anyone know if they're compatible?

My Index face cushion is starting to get unglued and I've been wanting to buy new ones, but Steam Support still can't answer if their orders can get delivered directly home. Every time I've ordered something from Steam, it's gone to a pick-up point instead, and I don't want to make unnecessary store trips.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Rectus posted:

The G2 gasket looks almost identical to the one on the Index. Anyone know if they're compatible?

My Index face cushion is starting to get unglued and I've been wanting to buy new ones, but Steam Support still can't answer if their orders can get delivered directly home. Every time I've ordered something from Steam, it's gone to a pick-up point instead, and I don't want to make unnecessary store trips.

Very similar but not compatible, the spacing on the magnet mounts is different which is why people are remixing the Index files to fit G2

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Subjunctive posted:

They said they’re bringing it to steam, but haven’t said when, so “yes, temporarily”.

Gotta love facebook...

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Still waiting for a new graphics card to shove into my PC, but Lone Echo is at least 60% of the reason for the upgrade

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I ordered a prescription lens insert from VR Optician cause I saw them recommended here, but I'm noticing now that they are based in Germany and it could take 5 weeks to get my lenses. Is there anything else US based that people would recommend?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

d0grent posted:

I ordered a prescription lens insert from VR Optician cause I saw them recommended here, but I'm noticing now that they are based in Germany and it could take 5 weeks to get my lenses. Is there anything else US based that people would recommend?

I haven't tried these but I believe other people in the thread have and they seem to be good: https://www.framesdirect.com/virtuclear-lens-inserts-for-oculus-quest-2.html?color=1

Frames Direct would probably still be at least a week or two but they're US based, plus, you know, it's still the holiday season and COVID, etc.

e: The only difference is that you have to pop the old lenses out and put these in their place, they're not "inserts" so much as total replacements.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

d0grent posted:

Yeah, my past orders (Rift, Index, Quest 2) took 2-3 weeks each to reach Nevada. There are other companies that do lenses, but I've never worked with them and don't know where they are based.

There may be a 3D-printed mount you can buy and insert prescription lenses from Zenni into them. I never looked into them, but I recall people doing something like that with the Rift some years back. (E: fb)

If you don't find another option, I will say that VRO is worth the wait. I don't need prescription lenses, but my spouse's eyes are hosed and they find the VRO lenses just as clear as their best pair of glasses.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

8one6 posted:

You've said this a couple of times and I what to know what you mean by "weapons handling"? Do you mean the part where I don't have to keep squeezing the drat controller to keep the guns in my hand or is this about the weapon inventory being a menu and not being stuck to Alyx's body?

Because honestly on both of those I prefer the choices that Valve made.

Weapon inventory, more intricate reloads, weapon mods on the fly. The guns were pretty boring.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Zaphod42 posted:

The only real question is how much they put into like, VR interactions. Do you reach out and pull the levers of the game, or do you just "click" on them in some fashion? Assuming its the former, should be great.

If you haven't played Myst before try not to spoil the puzzles for yourself, its really quite satisfying to work out. It can be tricky though so I can give light spoiler-free hints if needed!

Yes.

quote:

Confirmed this will be “built completely from the ground up for Oculus Quest”, this new edition also promises “modern art, sound, interactions, and optional puzzle randomization for those who are up for a greater challenge”.

quote:

Rand: There are quite a few variations from the original Myst. Most of them have to do with taking advantage of VR hand controllers and playing in VR space. For example, to enter the combination to the safe in the cabin the player doesn’t just push a button – they grab a knob and turn it. So much more natural. Also, VR necessitates building parts of the world differently – like making interactive items in an area that are easily reached whether players are standing or sitting. We didn’t want to force players to bend down to interact with controls. We also made some global choices on things like doors – they all slide to open and close. This avoids that VR frustration where you pull on a hinged door and it opens awkwardly into you.

quote:

UploadVR: It’s also been confirmed that the VR edition will feature optional puzzle randomisation. Can you give us more details about how this works?

Rand: When you start a new game you have the option to play the game without the solutions that have been around since the original version. I must admit that I love the fact that I have most of the puzzle solutions memorized, but it definitely means that I don’t really experience the full game. This option gives a little more opportunity to play Myst with fresh eyes.

They are basically using it as a stepping stone for Firmament.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nalin posted:

Yes.

They are basically using it as a stepping stone for Firmament.

optimism levels rising to dangerous levels such that disappointment would be crushing

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Lemming posted:

optimism levels rising to dangerous levels such that disappointment would be crushing

As someone who spent months praying that EA would not screw up Star Wars Squadrons, I know the feeling.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Skyarb posted:

Gotta love facebook...

How is Facebook impairing it? AFAICT the developer built it for the Quest, and bringing it to other platforms will take work that they haven’t announced a release date for.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Man, if they have (and i suspect they will) a 'classic' mode where you teleport around to set locations the same as the original, it seems like they could then have an option of it being fully playable with hand (non controller) tracking. That would be some trippy fun to play through myst with just your hands, even if a bit janky.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8one6 posted:

That Jeff level was tense as hell in some places.
Having to go back into the freezer and during that loving elevator ride I was crammed as far in the corner as I could manage.

I really love the Jeff level. I typically hate "dodge the monster" levels, but Chapter 7 does a very good job of being in the player's favour of what will trigger Jeff. There's almost nowhere that doesn't have an escape route, and Jeff will leave you alone long enough to actually get stuff done, and the dick-move bits always give you a chance to catch the bottle or whatever to make you feel smug about avoiding something calling him over. I also love just letting the player realize on their own the last switch... is back in the freezer we just satisfactorily locked Jeff inside and he's gonna have to come out again... :cripes:

SCheeseman posted:

Facebook could transition the Oculus store into a general PC software store, Facebook Games or whatever.

Nah, Facebook really wants their Walled Garden for a couple of practical reasons remember. Letting any fucker in complicates data harvesting and general game-making because instead of one setup they've got to constantly pay attention to WMR, Vive, Index and actually play ball with other hardware developers. Killing their PC storefront hurts them more than helps that right now, because the Quest 1 is a lot of users that can take advantage of the Link to stay current (especially with 90Hz enabled). Anyone buying a Quest 2 might have an older headset that gets sold second-hand or goes to friends or family, and that's just bonus user growth worth holding onto.

Tom Guycot posted:

Man, if they have (and i suspect they will) a 'classic' mode where you teleport around to set locations the same as the original, it seems like they could then have an option of it being fully playable with hand (non controller) tracking. That would be some trippy fun to play through myst with just your hands, even if a bit janky.

I was thinking the same thing actually, it'd definitely be pretty neat :allears:. It'd really need Teleport points and 1993-style graphics though to make it perfect, I reckon.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 9, 2020

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Subjunctive posted:

How is Facebook impairing it? AFAICT the developer built it for the Quest, and bringing it to other platforms will take work that they haven’t announced a release date for.

What happened, you working there again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Skyarb posted:

What happened, you working there again?

No, I just don’t understand your post. I think they hosed up a bunch of stuff with the account linking, but I don’t see what they did to Myst. What am I missing?