Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Good news everybody.

Oxford Covid vaccine 'safe and effective' study shows

quote:

The Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid vaccine is safe and effective, giving good protection, researchers have confirmed in The Lancet journal.

Most in the study were younger than 55, but the results so far indicate it does work well in older people too.

The data also suggest it can reduce spread of Covid, as well protect against illness and death.

The paper, assessed by independent scientists, sets out full results from advanced trials of over 20,000 people.

Regulators, who will have seen the same data, are considering the jab for emergency use.

But there are still important questions about what dose to give, as well as who it will protect.

When the interim trial results were made public in a press release about a fortnight ago, the researchers reported three efficacy levels for the vaccine - an overall effectiveness of 70%, a lower one of 62% and a high of 90%.

That's because different doses of the vaccine were mistakenly used in one part of the trial. Some volunteers were given shots that were half the planned strength in error.

Yet that "wrong" dose turned out to be a winner - giving 90% protection - while two standard doses gave 62%.

edit: cat tax

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Camrath posted:

Fudge News

So the past week has been insane. Fudjit is closing out 2020 on its best month of trading yet. I am completely blown away by all of your generosity and appetite for delicious fudge. :D

My long awaited move has now been confirmed as happening on Friday; given the amount of things I have to do before then I’m afraid I will be closing sales as of midnight tonight. If you still want to buy fudge, hit up https://www.fudjit.co.uk before midnight! I still have some amount of dark chocolate, chilli-chocolate and jelly beans flavours left; everything else I’m happy to say is gone!

If I may ramble for a few; it’s now almost exactly a year since my initial soft-launch on here. In that time trade has grown from an average of c£200 a month last December to over a grand this month. I’ve gone from cooking 10kg in one kilo batches and considering it exhausting to cooking 40+kg in 4kg batches with ease. I’ve gone from selling through direct engagement here and elsewhere (and of course maintaining the dreaded UKMT goons.xls in the process) to having a functioning sales website that seems to be working well (this was something I had a huge mental block over).

In short, the cooking of fudge for me has gone from ‘potentially profitable side hustle’ to ‘actually able to make a living off’ in the course of a year. And in particular, a year of such horribleness and despair. Part of me feels guilty that I’ve achieved satisfaction and a measure of success when so many of us are struggling with the precariousness of life, the difficulties of furlough and so on. But another part says that if I, an autistic depressive who genuinely thought he would never be able to work again, can do this then holy hell there’s hope for all of us.

And the only reason I’ve been able to make this work is down to the massive support and solidarity shown by the people posting here, in the discord and elsewhere who took a change on my sweet sweet goodies, showed faith in me to follow through (especially when so many other goon projects have crashed and burned) and then pimped out my wares to others. It’s a debt that I don’t think can ever really be repaid other than through the gratitude that fills me.

More than anything else, you guys haven’t just helped me create a working business, but you’ve also helped me get some of my pride and self-respect back; helped me lift myself up when I thought I was too broken to ever stand on my own two feet again.

I dunno what 2021 will bring, but I know it’ll be full of sweetness no matter how poo poo this rainy terf island gets. Because I’ll be making it.

Good news :)

When you figure out "tablet" let us know and I'll order!

Hope the move goes well.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Good news :)

When you figure out "tablet" let us know and I'll order!

Hope the move goes well.

My fudge these days has been coming out closer to tablet actually- I suspect after some experimentation that my thermometer has been under reading so the syrup goes into hard-ball stage.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Camrath posted:

Fudge News

So the past week has been insane. Fudjit is closing out 2020 on its best month of trading yet. I am completely blown away by all of your generosity and appetite for delicious fudge. :D

My long awaited move has now been confirmed as happening on Friday; given the amount of things I have to do before then I’m afraid I will be closing sales as of midnight tonight. If you still want to buy fudge, hit up https://www.fudjit.co.uk before midnight! I still have some amount of dark chocolate, chilli-chocolate and jelly beans flavours left; everything else I’m happy to say is gone!

If I may ramble for a few; it’s now almost exactly a year since my initial soft-launch on here. In that time trade has grown from an average of c£200 a month last December to over a grand this month. I’ve gone from cooking 10kg in one kilo batches and considering it exhausting to cooking 40+kg in 4kg batches with ease. I’ve gone from selling through direct engagement here and elsewhere (and of course maintaining the dreaded UKMT goons.xls in the process) to having a functioning sales website that seems to be working well (this was something I had a huge mental block over).

In short, the cooking of fudge for me has gone from ‘potentially profitable side hustle’ to ‘actually able to make a living off’ in the course of a year. And in particular, a year of such horribleness and despair. Part of me feels guilty that I’ve achieved satisfaction and a measure of success when so many of us are struggling with the precariousness of life, the difficulties of furlough and so on. But another part says that if I, an autistic depressive who genuinely thought he would never be able to work again, can do this then holy hell there’s hope for all of us.

And the only reason I’ve been able to make this work is down to the massive support and solidarity shown by the people posting here, in the discord and elsewhere who took a change on my sweet sweet goodies, showed faith in me to follow through (especially when so many other goon projects have crashed and burned) and then pimped out my wares to others. It’s a debt that I don’t think can ever really be repaid other than through the gratitude that fills me.

More than anything else, you guys haven’t just helped me create a working business, but you’ve also helped me get some of my pride and self-respect back; helped me lift myself up when I thought I was too broken to ever stand on my own two feet again.

I dunno what 2021 will bring, but I know it’ll be full of sweetness no matter how poo poo this rainy terf island gets. Because I’ll be making it.

I have sadly had to use the 'roastbeefisbest' code to secure a discount on this. I would like to state for the record that I profoundly disagree with this statement

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Convex posted:

I have sadly had to use the 'roastbeefisbest' code to secure a discount on this. I would like to state for the record that I profoundly disagree with this statement

No regrets for forcing you to speak the truth.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
What I don't understand about the Oxford vaccine is why they can't just administer a half dose to everyone initially, to exploit that 90% efficacy. The sample size was still a bit over 2000 people, so that result should be statistically significant, no?

From what I've been reading it might take time to get approved because of the variable rates of immunity.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Dawn foster is one of the few good journos left in the UK. It's a pity 'reading the publication before sending the tweet' is the bar we have set:

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1336369000834625538

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

StarkingBarfish posted:

Dawn foster is one of the few good journos left in the UK. It's a pity 'reading the publication before sending the tweet' is the bar we have set:

Peston must be one of the most shamelessly lazy, incompetent and self-serving excuses for a journalist in the UK and the only consequence for his career has been to be ever more successful and respected. Must be nice to be an aristo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Robert Pissedon.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Camrath posted:

My fudge these days has been coming out closer to tablet actually- I suspect after some experimentation that my thermometer has been under reading so the syrup goes into hard-ball stage.

What type of fudge do you make? I wanted to try some from you but I bought some "butter fudge" from somewhere last year and it wasn't pleasant, it had a kind of grainy texture to it that I didn't like. I don't know anything about fudge, is it all made from butter? It was quite dissimilar to the stuff you get in pick n mix that's for sure, I love that stuff.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Deketh posted:

What type of fudge do you make? I wanted to try some from you but I bought some "butter fudge" from somewhere last year and it wasn't pleasant, it had a kind of grainy texture to it that I didn't like. I don't know anything about fudge, is it all made from butter? It was quite dissimilar to the stuff you get in pick n mix that's for sure, I love that stuff.

So, all fudge is made with butter (or non-dairy equivalent for vegan types). Tablet is a subset of fudge/ it’s hard and crumbly rather than soft. But neither should be grainy- that’s a sign of an improper cooking process.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All fudge is grainy to some degree in my experience, otherwise it's toffee?

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

TACD posted:

I remember being promised that all groceries were going to have RFID chips embedded in the packaging so we could walk directly out of the store and have our shopping automagically scanned and charged. Whatever happened to that? :mad:

So, this is a thing Waitrose looked into around 2010/11. A very small chain of shops were trialling it somewhere in the Scandinavia region. A few Waitrose peeps went over to see it in action and came back quite hopeful. All products stickered with RFID stickers. Gates by the entrance / exit which scan the trolley/basket in bulk, and a few point of sale terminal on the other side of the gate where all you had to do was chip and pin or contactless if under the limit. There were talks of working in a system that (to me a few years later) sounded a lot like NFC so if you had Apple pay or an equivalent set up on your phone, you could be auto-billed on the way out.

There was a fair amount of buzz at Waitrose head office about this for a few years but it never seemed to materialise. Much like the OLED ticketing system John Lewis were thinking of which was supposed to link into the stock management system to instantly update price changes and stock levels. The prototype for that was super smart, and what did we end up with? Terrible calculator display like LCD shelf '"tickets" a quarter inch thick that didn't work half the time.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
is caramel just liquid toffee

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Liquid toffee is a tank

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Camrath posted:

So, all fudge is made with butter (or non-dairy equivalent for vegan types). Tablet is a subset of fudge/ it’s hard and crumbly rather than soft. But neither should be grainy- that’s a sign of an improper cooking process.

Ahh I see, maybe it was just a rubbish batch then. I'd love to try your stuff, do you plan to make any more of the sold out flavours before Christmas?

OwlFancier posted:

All fudge is grainy to some degree in my experience, otherwise it's toffee?

I dunno, it had a kind of soggy, greasy texture as well as grainy - not nice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It probably shouldn't be greasy as that suggests the butter hasn't been incorporated properly.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Deketh posted:

Ahh I see, maybe it was just a rubbish batch then. I'd love to try your stuff, do you plan to make any more of the sold out flavours before Christmas?

I dunno, it had a kind of soggy, greasy texture as well as grainy - not nice.

Yeah, it sounds like that wasn’t cooked hot enough, then not properly beaten while cooling.

Afraid that I won’t be restocking before Christmas- I’m moving on Friday and it’ll take a little time to get my kitchen recertified for commercial use (5* health certificate, yo!). Aiming to be up and running in January though!

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Camrath posted:

Yeah, it sounds like that wasn’t cooked hot enough, then not properly beaten while cooling.

Afraid that I won’t be restocking before Christmas- I’m moving on Friday and it’ll take a little time to get my kitchen recertified for commercial use (5* health certificate, yo!). Aiming to be up and running in January though!

That's cool, I'll catch you next year then. I probably don't need more sweets over Christmas anyway, to be honest. Hope you have a good move!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Camrath posted:

Why are you going to bother with all this, you can cook your fudge in a mouldy ditch if you want after Brexit.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Glad to hear the fudge business is booming. My wife should have ordered me some for Christmas (aka famous last fudge before we have to pay import duties on it, or something :( )

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Great news about the fudge business Camrath! My lack of recent orders is only due to the grim state of my finances

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Why are you going to bother with all this, you can cook your fudge in a mouldy ditch if you want after Brexit.

Professional pride.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Good news on the fudge industry picking right up and hope the move goes smoothly, I'm sure you'll miss Gertie Brownes & the attendent Iceland mutants in N2 sorely :peanut:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was posting in another thread and reading the wiki page for the 1935 anglo german naval treaty and I just wanted to share an absolutely amazing quote that has extremely powerful guardian column energy.

quote:

The change of regime in Germany in 1933 did cause alarm in London, but there was considerable uncertainty regarding Hitler's long-term intentions. In August 1933, the Secretary to the Committee of Imperial Defence (CID), Sir Maurice Hankey, visited Germany and wrote down his impressions of the "New Germany" in October 1933. Hankey's report concluded with the words:

"Are we still dealing with the Hitler of Mein Kampf, lulling his opponents to sleep with fair words to gain time to arm his people, and looking always to the day when he can throw off the mask and attack Poland? Or is it a new Hitler, who discovered the burden of responsible office, and wants to extricate himself, like many an earlier tyrant from the commitments of his irresponsible days? That is the riddle that has to be solved".[7]

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Wonder how that all turned out

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
gently caress I missed out on the fudge...

Next time I guess.

Congrats on having a whopper month though.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Camrath posted:

I dunno what 2021 will bring

I know what 2021 will bring me. A fucktonne more fudge through the post. That's what.
Bravo

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
There are so many incredible flavours now. I'm never gonna get the choc and chilli but I was sad to miss out on whiskey and ginger this month.

I do have one suggestion Camrath, which is that you explicitly put numbers of remaining stock on your website - at the moment there's no explanation of why e.g. I could only select one rum 'n raisin and it looks like a glitch, although I knew the actual reason from previous attempts to break the site.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Been listening to Pod episode 60 today. Good stuff, though the pod needs to be shorter, or you need to move my office further away.

Which of our illustrious posters has the Scottish accent and was ranting about debt? Not David. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Maugrim posted:

There are so many incredible flavours now. I'm never gonna get the choc and chilli but I was sad to miss out on whiskey and ginger this month.

I do have one suggestion Camrath, which is that you explicitly put numbers of remaining stock on your website - at the moment there's no explanation of why e.g. I could only select one rum 'n raisin and it looks like a glitch, although I knew the actual reason from previous attempts to break the site.

Will do- that should be easy to implement. And thanks for the feedback :)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/DiEM_25/status/1335905706982170624

broke: learning about bolonium at school
woke: learning about depleted uranium

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bobstar posted:

Been listening to Pod episode 60 today. Good stuff, though the pod needs to be shorter, or you need to move my office further away.

Which of our illustrious posters has the Scottish accent and was ranting about debt? Not David. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

That's James. Pretty sure he rarely if ever reads the thread now but he's our resident Smart Understander and overall excellent person. You can read more in this twitter thread he did: https://twitter.com/anarchonbury/status/1335867100901093378

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Miftan posted:

That's James. Pretty sure he rarely if ever reads the thread now but he's our resident Smart Understander and overall excellent person. You can read more in this twitter thread he did:

Thanks, that's a Twitter follow I missed when we thought the forums were about to vanish (makes sense if he doesn't post here much).

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bobstar posted:

Thanks, that's a Twitter follow I missed when we thought the forums were about to vanish (makes sense if he doesn't post here much).

No problem, glad you're enjoying the pod!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

StarkingBarfish posted:

jesus loving christ

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/UJS_UK/status/1336370589796356097?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Cumbrian_NP/status/1336094728727769089?s=20

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
that is some proper CK3 bordergore

e: I can kind of see where all the other independence arguments are coming from but how the gently caress is independent Cumbria going to work? are they planning on generating 100% of their GDP from sales of mint cake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well obviously now I have to petition cumbria to include teesside.

Julio Cruz posted:

e: I can kind of see where all the other independence arguments are coming from but how the gently caress is independent Cumbria going to work? are they planning on generating 100% of their GDP from sales of mint cake?

The swiss approach, everyone is part of the army and the natural terrain advantage keeps everyone else out.

Also probably selling everyone else water and halberds.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 8, 2020