Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

RC Cola posted:

The Paladin I'm playing somehow became a DASANI influencer in hell. Give me some other lovely brands to push please

Versace clothing sometimes even looks like stuff priests and paladins would wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

RC Cola posted:

The Paladin I'm playing somehow became a DASANI influencer in hell. Give me some other lovely brands to push please

You're an influencer. It's time to start working those MLMs.

Religious Crystals, Kitchen Ware, Religious Scents, some Lathander Leggings?.

Grow your religious downline, and your profit downline!

Target those children, for your big meet ups and Cons, like a TanaCon, or one of those Paul Brothers Influencer Web-Things. something.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

please knock Mom! posted:

Versace clothing sometimes even looks like stuff priests and paladins would wear.

The cloth textures in BG3 all have like Louis Vuitton patterns on them, maybe that?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

RC Cola posted:

NFL Shop

THE CHAMP IS HERE

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

PicklePants posted:

You're an influencer. It's time to start working those MLMs.

Religious Crystals, Kitchen Ware, Religious Scents, some Lathander Leggings?.

Grow your religious downline, and your profit downline!

Target those children, for your big meet ups and Cons, like a TanaCon, or one of those Paul Brothers Influencer Web-Things. something.

This is perfect. MLM scheme sounds just what my scumbag PC would use.
I'm sure I can sell some time shares of places that the party clears out as well.

Cutco Knives, Candles(cast the light spell on something), Crystals(rocks on the ground), some bad makeup brand? Clearly my character needs bronzer.

If it helps, I'm a charlatan who was given paladin powers by a dying Knight and proceeded to gently caress off, ignoring the quest he sent me on.

I'm trying to RP him somewhat like Bruce Campbell in the Evil Dead but sleezier. He also only has 1 arm

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

a dwarf only makeup brand, mordinsamman kay

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
A social network designed to connect covens: Hag's List.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Rather than using the Lineage rule I'm going to reskin Halfling for the Red Panda humanoid. Should be fine. What's the consensus on rolling abilities? Point buy? Array? I've heard good arguments and some alternate ways to determine ability scores but I've forgotten them all. What's good?

Baku: I'm stealing your VarHuman, +1 abilities and +1 skills. Everyone gets a Lvl 1 feat!

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

IMHO, the really important thing is to make sure that every player has roughly equal stats. Standard array is great for that, as is rolling an array that the entire party uses. Having every player roll their own stats is where you find weird edge cases that can exacerbate 5e's preexisting balance issues. Point buy can work and lets experienced players make some interesting choices, but ime it also tends to confuse newer players and leads them to making poor build decisions.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Rather than using the Lineage rule I'm going to reskin Halfling for the Red Panda humanoid. Should be fine. What's the consensus on rolling abilities? Point buy? Array? I've heard good arguments and some alternate ways to determine ability scores but I've forgotten them all. What's good?

Baku: I'm stealing your VarHuman, +1 abilities and +1 skills. Everyone gets a Lvl 1 feat!

I have never heard a good argument for rolling abilities, but I just thought of an okayish one: everyone rolls abilities anew at the start of each session. Everyone is more likely to get their "funny" low-stat character story and their "I had three 18s!" story and potentially spreads the spotlight around in interesting ways.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Rolling stats is great for one shots but I would never do it for ongoing play.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

As long as you don't have any optimizers in the group, it's fine. My current group rolled stats, and while the DM has to overtune a bit as a result (not just because of rolled stats, because of other house-rules as well), it works fine. I voluntarily dropped some of my stats because I rolled ridiculously well. Because it's no fun when you have a +4 and 2 +3s just off of stat rolls.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

As long as you don't have any optimizers in the group, it's fine. My current group rolled stats, and while the DM has to overtune a bit as a result (not just because of rolled stats, because of other house-rules as well), it works fine. I voluntarily dropped some of my stats because I rolled ridiculously well. Because it's no fun when you have a +4 and 2 +3s just off of stat rolls.

It is a problem when you are the guy who rolled low, or wanted to be the str guy, but because the wizard rolled 3 16s and an 18 and your high roll was a 14, they also get to take that spotlight from you in addition to being the utility caster. Roll stats is a horrific cargo cult holdover and should only really be used in one shots where the imbalances between players it creates are short lived.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Standard array is fine. Point buy is also fine, personally I prefer standard array.

As Tenik said the issue is party parity. Rolling individual stats is very bad for party parity. If your players really want to roll, have everyone roll, then let anyone use any of the generated "arrays". This way if someone rolls a pile of 12s they can just dupe someone else's array and if someone rolls all 18s then hey, you're running a high power game, it's fine.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 8, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

No Safe Word posted:

If I roll 18/16/15 and another guy rolls 14/12/10 then whether or not we're "optimisers" isn't going to impact that I'm in godmode while the other guy is playing pratfalls mcgee.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

RC Cola posted:

This is perfect. MLM scheme sounds just what my scumbag PC would use.
I'm sure I can sell some time shares of places that the party clears out as well.

Cutco Knives, Candles(cast the light spell on something), Crystals(rocks on the ground), some bad makeup brand? Clearly my character needs bronzer.

If it helps, I'm a charlatan who was given paladin powers by a dying Knight and proceeded to gently caress off, ignoring the quest he sent me on.

I'm trying to RP him somewhat like Bruce Campbell in the Evil Dead but sleezier. He also only has 1 arm

If you want to role play a sleezy religious figure I can think of no better way to do so than emulate real life sleezy religious figures. Form a mega church and sell your god, buy a private jet airship with the tithings

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Low stats mean you are less able to engage with actual adventure meaningfully. I don't think that's great even if it's only for one session; depending on that one-shot, that might even be a worse experience than in an ongoing campaign, as opposed to equally-bad-but-shorter. If it sounds fun to play a very dumb or very frail character, even/especially if the archetype calls for the opposite, just distribute the array or point buy for the result you want (e.g. playing a wise-but-puny fighter, or an extremely charming but dumb wizard), and/or talk to the DM about the experience you want to have.

No Safe Word posted:

"We rolled for abilities one time and it turned out ok" isn't the endorsement you think it is, because you could get the same results with an array, without even the chance of one player having too good or too ineffective a set.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Everyone starts with 3 CON and 10 backup characters.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

nelson posted:

That's just Paranoia with extra steps.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

No Safe Word posted:

The actual, bigger concern from a GM's perspective is that it makes balancing encounters more difficult because individual characters are going to be operating at different levels of effectiveness. A character who doesn't roll higher than a 12 for their stats is going to be much more fragile and hit less often than the character who didn't roll lower than a 13 for their stats.

Honestly the only major argument I've heard in favor of rolling for stats that holds up is that it's more enjoyable for people who prefer to come into the game without a pre-established character concept, but there are other ways to engage those types of players without throwing inter-party balance out of whack (There are a lot of fun random character concept generators out there these days)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

rolling for stats has no place outside of crpgs where you can save your sets and do it over and over and over for your chosen one PC

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
well sorrr-eee if I think sometimes the MAD monk should have a treat

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

rolling for stats works in one shots or grinder campaigns and if you try to do long form play with stat rolling you are accepting a world where unless the game gets lucky and everyone rolls normally, one player is significantly better or worse than everyone else, which completely destroys games in ways too subtle for you to immediately notice ... even if it seems fine at the time

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

nelson posted:

This sounds like a great concept for a one-off

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

nelson posted:

Dark Sun homebrew looking well

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Quit trying to make "optimizers" a bad thing. It's never going to be a bad thing.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

theironjef posted:

Quit trying to make "optimizers" a bad thing. It's never going to be a bad thing.

Some optimizers are indeed bad. Maybe I’m scarred from Divine Metamagic from 3.5. Or really any of the busted things from that edition.

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Dark Sun homebrew looking well

WOTC, where the gently caress is my 5E Dark Sun???

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

denimgorilla posted:

Some optimizers are indeed bad. Maybe I’m scarred from Divine Metamagic from 3.5. Or really any of the busted things from that edition.

Welcome.to.the 5e thread,.which I'm sure you will find is somehow not the. 3.5 thread.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Is armorer artificer as busted as it looks? You get the best damage spells (even with stunted progression) and can easily have 21+ AC once you equip your power armor, shield, and +1 armor infusion at level 3, and all of your attacks are keyed off of INT.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

denimgorilla posted:

Optimizers are people who pick through the tools that are made available to them. If the tools are so imbalanced and easily abused, that's not on the player, it's on the designer or the person who gave them the big list of options. This scenario where we're saying "Hey players, build your character with this stuff. Beware though, several of the choices make you a bad person" is some horse nonsense.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

theironjef posted:

Optimizers are people who pick through the tools that are made available to them. If the tools are so imbalanced and easily abused, that's not on the player, it's on the designer or the person who gave them the big list of options. This scenario where we're saying "Hey players, build your character with this stuff. Beware though, several of the choices make you a bad person" is some horse nonsense.

Personally, when I play the power fantasy game, I try to make sure my character is as weak as possible. That way when my DM tries to calculate the challenge rating for an encounter, his calcs will be even more hosed up than usual, we'll all die, and I can make another new character.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

change my name posted:

Is armorer artificer as busted as it looks? You get the best damage spells (even with stunted progression) and can easily have 21+ AC once you equip your power armor, shield, and +1 armor infusion at level 3, and all of your attacks are keyed off of INT.

Playing an armor I found I'm extremely tanky, but other than the thunder gauntlet disadvantage there's not much reason for bad dudes to target me because I don't do much damage relative to a similar leveled other character.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

I would argue that they are a bad thing in one scenario, which is when they're the only experienced player in the group and they lean on the DM not knowing how to reign in powerful builds and end up way stronger than anyone else in the game. I have, however, never actually seen this, because every optimizer I have ever known will not only help the other players make more powerful characters, they will actively suggest the DM reign in overpowered things and help them keep the game balanced.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

theironjef posted:

I’ll acknowledge that you are right and I am wrong. And I also didn’t consider the context of the conversation.

In context, I think that everyone rolling for a stat array that can be chosen by any player is the most feasible solution for a group that wants to roll stats. The DM will certainly have a much easier time balancing encounters.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Personally, when I play the power fantasy game, I try to make sure my character is as weak as possible. That way when my DM tries to calculate the challenge rating for an encounter, his calcs will be even more hosed up than usual, we'll all die, and I can make another new character.

I can't believe you made a competent warrior to join our war party! What about my chef? He has no combat skills, but has a great catchphrase I repeat every thirty seconds because I'm such a great roleplayer.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I can't believe you made a competent warrior to join our war party! What about my chef? He has no combat skills, but has a great catchphrase I repeat every thirty seconds because I'm such a great roleplayer.

Look, live by the sword die by the sword

Live by the spatula . . . Live forever?

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Hackan Slash posted:

Playing an armor I found I'm extremely tanky, but other than the thunder gauntlet disadvantage there's not much reason for bad dudes to target me because I don't do much damage relative to a similar leveled other character.

This was my reading, seemed like my damage would be really bad, very quickly. As cool as playing Iron Man would be, it seems to be missing the useful stuff the other options give you.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Aside from the obvious stuff like War Caster and Resilient Con, what would be a good/fun/interesting feat to pick up on a vhuman conjurer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Look, live by the sword die by the sword

Live by the spatula . . . Live forever?
Sauceror for life, pastmancers can suck it. :colbert: