Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Lead By Example posted:

just went to Costco for the first time and spent $600 on groceries

I'm sold I love this place!

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

toplitzin posted:

I need to call the meat department about buying a costco sized bag of bones for stock.

yeah I could use some ham bones for beans and such

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lead By Example posted:

Welcome friend. :glomp:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lead By Example posted:

go for one thing, walk out with a $200 tab

"gently caress what did I buy?"

gonna head there soon, I just need a couple shop lights. And a snowblower if they have more (they sold out way early, I'm disappoint).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lead By Example posted:

How much of that $600 was actually groceries? (that's how they always get me :( )

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
nobody has ever spent less than 150$ at costco ... it's not possible (believe me i have tried)

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Lead By Example posted:

You run an orphanage?

Granted I pop over probably every 2-3 weeks cause I'm surrounded by churches, but my usual bill is $70-130.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Used to be just over a hundo and we went weekly, but now it's once a month at $400 a pop.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

thathonkey posted:

nobody has ever spent less than 150$ at costco ... it's not possible (believe me i have tried)

I'm poor so i have a membership to save on gasoline and booze, other than that all i buy is a couple frozen foods, goat cheese, and basic necessities like dish soap and TP. I've never spent over $130 in a trip

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

$600...huh.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

The Balvenie scotch is really freakin good. Highly recommend.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Nice.

Say, do they have a house bourbon? I recall the spiced, rum, a scotch whiskey... but I can't remember seeing a bourbon.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CaptainCrunch posted:

Nice.

Say, do they have a house bourbon? I recall the spiced, rum, a scotch whiskey... but I can't remember seeing a bourbon.

Not that I recall that was Kirkland branded but it could also be I glossed over it due to my regular shelf having sufficient. They did have a lot of bourbon options from Woodford Reserve, New Riff, Makers Mark and others.

If I search the Internet and google it does look like they have a7 year bourbon. They also have a Canadian style whiskey

Gatts fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 9, 2020

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Gatts posted:

$600...huh.

I gotta say, that spiced rum is truly terrible. Sickly sweet and mostly tastes of fake vanilla. I remember that the tequila was pretty good for its price point though! I bought a bottle of the bourbon for my kitchen staff for Christmas last year and it went over pretty well...but they are line cooks, so they’ll drink anything.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Gatts posted:

Not that I recall that was Kirkland branded but it could also be I glossed over it due to my regular shelf having sufficient. They did have a lot of bourbon options from Woodford Reserve, New Riff, Makers Mark and others.

If I search the Internet and google it does look like they have a7 year bourbon. They also have a Canadian style whiskey

Ah, thanks. Trying to think up a shopping list for the most efficient traversal. I don't want to spend any more time inside than absolutely required.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

thathonkey posted:

The old self check out was perfect for getting in and out with a $20 case of beer, but the new one is easier to use and busier, so it's not as useful for things like that.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

thathonkey posted:

Ha ha, I got out of here with only the softener salt and milk, just as I needed! Oh yeah I DO need stamps. Hrm.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I would like to see some info on the regional variations of the CostCo liquor selection. Costco’s in Kentucky have like 20 bourbons; I imagine ones in the southwest may have a lot of tequilas?

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

They need to sell a liquor cabinet so I can fill it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

I picked up a bottle of this a while back. I feel like this is some of the best bang for the buck scotch you can get.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Moey posted:

I picked up a bottle of this a while back. I feel like this is some of the best bang for the buck scotch you can get.

If you got that same age +sherry finish from Glenmorangie it'd be like $65 a bottle.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Lead By Example posted:

I predict a chest freezer in your future.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

thathonkey posted:

You just need to shop like "ok, I can afford 8 things, what 8 things do I really need the most? (and also a chicken)"

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Gatts posted:

$600...huh.

That's every other shopping cart here. Overheard at a conference that the Rancho Mirage store is #1 across all Costco locations for booze sales. That was 3-5 years ago but every time I go in there I see a million blue haired ladies pushing carts full of booze.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

CaptainCrunch posted:

Nice.

They've done Kentucky and Tennessee. Currently the Kirkland bourbon is Tennessee. It's almost certainly sourced from George Dickle barrels. They're really the only Tennessee distillery that can supply the volume Costco demands. I expect there's quite a bit of flavor drift over time as their blender, Tennessee Distilling Ltd, desperately tries to put out as somewhat consistent product with inconsistent barrels.

(Sorry ahead of time for trying to explain how these blends happen if you already understand.)

It's not George Dickle in an even cheaper bottle. GD, like most big whiskey distilleries, sell off barrels that don't fit the flavor profile of their name brand product. For whatever reason those barrels just didn't mature to hit the right flavor notes so instead of dumping them out they get sold off to blenders like the folks that supply Costco.

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib

SirPablo posted:

You run an orphanage?

Granted I pop over probably every 2-3 weeks cause I'm surrounded by churches, but my usual bill is $70-130.

I just recently moved across the country and so I was starting my pantry from scratch

All the seasonings and stuff added up really quick

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
the double-stuffed olives are really good

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

the double-stuffed olives are really good

the jalapeno/garlic ones? its something that i always have in my fridge. a perfect snack. maybe with a lil cheese and charcuterie. perfecto.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Me every other time I walk past my fridge.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bibliotechno Music posted:

I bought a bottle of the bourbon for my kitchen staff for Christmas last year and it went over pretty well...but they are line cooks, so they’ll drink anything.

So you're saying the bourbon pairs well with a sweat-damp, slightly greasy cigarette that's been tucked behind someone's ear for a couple hours?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bibliotechno Music posted:

I gotta say, that spiced rum is truly terrible. Sickly sweet and mostly tastes of fake vanilla. I remember that the tequila was pretty good for its price point though! I bought a bottle of the bourbon for my kitchen staff for Christmas last year and it went over pretty well...but they are line cooks, so they’ll drink anything.

It’s vile, nasty poo poo. I love spiced rum and have tried them all from Sailor Jerry to Ensign Buttplug and that Kirkland stuff is the only one that I’d never drink again.

I was surprised because all the other Kirkland booze I’ve had is solid.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I notice nobody really talks about the fresh ravioli/tortellini. I loving love it. The tortellini we smother in pesto and spinach ravioli in garlic sautéed in olive oil. It's a quick 10 minute dinner perfect for 2 working parents who don't have any time to cook on work days and has enough leftovers for my wife to take to work.

I picked up a pack of butternut squash ravioli. For dinner last night I browned a big chunk of butter, added some chopped fresh sage leaves and grated pecorino once the butter was sufficiently browned and tossed in the cooked ravioli to coat. Took less than 10 minutes and it owned super hard. I've messed with the butter before but I find that I just prefer butter + sage. Adding toasted walnuts has some merit but they get a little weird once the butter cools and starts to absorb. Added some cream once and it was too heavy. Some recipes call for brown sugar but the butternut squash has enough natural sweetness Just butter, sage and grated cheese, and you get a fancy pants 10 minute meal where the longest step is waiting for the water to boil.

Bonus points: everything I just mentioned other than the sage can be bought at Costco.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Renegret posted:

I notice nobody really talks about the fresh ravioli/tortellini. I loving love it. The tortellini we smother in pesto and spinach ravioli in garlic sautéed in olive oil. It's a quick 10 minute dinner perfect for 2 working parents who don't have any time to cook on work days and has enough leftovers for my wife to take to work.

I picked up a pack of butternut squash ravioli. For dinner last night I browned a big chunk of butter, added some chopped fresh sage leaves and grated pecorino once the butter was sufficiently browned and tossed in the cooked ravioli to coat. Took less than 10 minutes and it owned super hard. I've messed with the butter before but I find that I just prefer butter + sage. Adding toasted walnuts has some merit but they get a little weird once the butter cools and starts to absorb. Added some cream once and it was too heavy. Some recipes call for brown sugar but the butternut squash has enough natural sweetness Just butter, sage and grated cheese, and you get a fancy pants 10 minute meal where the longest step is waiting for the water to boil.

Bonus points: everything I just mentioned other than the sage can be bought at Costco.

We go through at least one double pack a week at my house. It’s all awesome.

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

Renegret posted:

Same exact plan, but with the maine lobster rav's I found last week at my church. Awesome quick lux meal.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ultimate Mango posted:

We go through at least one double pack a week at my house. It’s all awesome.

those packs are incredibly good. i try to not buy them much since as a single dude, it will just make me consume a billion calories over a few days but yeah, really good poo poo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

All premade food is a waste of money.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
definition of premade shifts over the years. it was routine to store your own grain and go to the millers to get it ground a mere century ago, but now from flour counts as from scratch

this ugandan dude i know kept complaining about how it isnt from scratch if you didnt kill the chicken yourself

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Any food that isn’t a 50 pound sack of rice or a chicken you butcher yourself is a waste of money.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it was routine to store your own grain and go to the millers to get it ground a mere century ago, but now from flour counts as from scratch

I actually do this semi regularly. I generally find it adds a more interesting texture to my breads, And it get's drat boring just making the same loaf over and over.

I'd love to have chickens but I live in an apartment, my buddy does though and he keeps me well stocked with eggs.

My point still stands though, people are so blinded by the myth of convenience they've forgot the simple joys of creating their own meals and experimenting in the kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

All premade food is a waste of money.

thanks for the laugh