Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jonny Nox posted:

Revell has the usual problem of a lot of their kits are made using molds they've gotten a hold of from buying other companies (Frog or Matchbox for instance) and their own old stock. They're really positioned for the Walmart market so they can re-use a worn-out mold from the 60s for their P-40 and sell it for $12, or develop a completely new kit and not sell it for $30. Some of their kits are real good, they have the technology. Some of their kits are re-boxed Zvezda kits

Italeri is worse because their kits start out terrible
Hasegawa is even worse because they re-use old molds but positioned themselves for the hobbyist market. But they often are the only ones selling a certain subject in a given scale.

I mean look at this bullshit:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03317-a-34-comet-mk1--1274771
That's actually a really nice kit. The painted examples there look terrible. Most of the 1/76 Matchbox reboxes are pretty nice overall TBH, but they're 1/76 which is a small and pretty rare scale these days.

The really ropey poo poo around that size is the 1/72 versions of the 1/35 Italeri kits literally just scaled down. Utter frustration doing those tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I’m just salty because someone shelved it with the 1/72 scale models at the store and I only noticed it wasn’t that scale until this morning.

For an impulse buy of a subject I know literally nothing about I guess I can’t complain.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I see two kinds of Revell kits: repackaged ones from other companies that are hit and miss and Revell Monogram ones that are unchanged from the 70s and very basic, but serviceable. I built their 1:32 Sherman and Lee, no huge complaints about the tanks themselves but the figures that came with them are atrocious. Considering the cost of the kits I could have gotten something a lot more modern.

Speaking of bad kits, I switched to a VM Bishop for a North Africa group build and wow, I forgot how bad the base Valentine kit was. The Bishop bits are equally bad, but at least they appear to fit together okay. Thankfully the prototype I selected is liberally covered in sandbags that can hide where parts of the kit simply don't go together.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
My idea of "good" plastic production comes from r/c. Which varies from "good", eg: a little flash. (Think tamiya) To "some dude hand checked every part, machined mating faces, and removed all flash". (Think Team X-Ray)

Jonny Nox posted:

Revell has the usual problem of a lot of their kits are made using molds they've gotten a hold of from buying other companies (Frog or Matchbox for instance) and their own old stock. They're really positioned for the Walmart market so they can re-use a worn-out mold from the 60s for their P-40 and sell it for $12, or develop a completely new kit and not sell it for $30. Some of their kits are real good, they have the technology. Some of their kits are re-boxed Zvezda kits

Italeri is worse because their kits start out terrible
Hasegawa is even worse because they re-use old molds but positioned themselves for the hobbyist market. But they often are the only ones selling a certain subject in a given scale.

I mean look at this bullshit:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03317-a-34-comet-mk1--1274771

I didn't know matchbox ever sold models. Hah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jox0zxmr4yE Review of that model seems... positive?

I'm amused, I paid $16 for this thing. Though I have a bunch of $5 ones coming from china in the next month.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I'm consistently impressed with the quality of Bandai SciFi kits, there's no flash and the parts for perfectly, but for the cost I highly doubt some guy is hand fitting them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jonny Nox posted:

I’m just salty because someone shelved it with the 1/72 scale models at the store and I only noticed it wasn’t that scale until this morning.

For an impulse buy of a subject I know literally nothing about I guess I can’t complain.
Ah, see I have pictures of me sitting on one from when I was about ten years old, so I bought it on purpose. There's not a huge amount of difference between the 1/76 and 1/72 kits, unless you put the same vehicle beside itself, so wargamers tend not to care. The box size makes it reasonably obvious though, the Matchbox reboxes are about half the size of the other Revell kits.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Ensign Expendable posted:

I'm consistently impressed with the quality of Bandai SciFi kits, there's no flash and the parts for perfectly, but for the cost I highly doubt some guy is hand fitting them.

Bandai is amazing with the quality of their kits. For a long time I believed Tamiya was the master of plastic..... I don't think so anymore. Their entire line of gundam is based on slip fits that are more precise than lego. The fits are so close that the parts don't fall apart, and also never seem to show a stress point from being slip fit. And they sustain multiple assemblies without any real loss of stiffness.

It's pretty amazing in my book.

I also have a model that I completely destroyed here, that started as a bandai mold. (oh look, it did.. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/bandai-8530b-beech-bonanza-v35--276017 ) And despite it being a 70's model it still shows the same care as the gundam line.

............... I think I've liked bandai toys since I was little. But that's another story entirely.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Yeah I wish Bandai would move into more types of models. Their quality to price ratio blows everyone else out of the water. Their Star Wars kits are incredible, it's too bad licensing bullshit has made it tough to get them in the US.

So does anyone have a recommendation on a good 1/48 P-40 kit?

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020
I did a Revell 1970 Hemi Cuda recently and I was very impressed with the quality of the kit and it's fitment. It was almost Tamiya level. The model was stamped 2013 so that might have something to do with it.

I've done other Revell cars like a 1970 Corvette that were truly horrible though.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Bucnasti posted:

I primarily build 1/32 scale aircraft, so I can't comment much on 1/48 scale stuff. But, it appears you have a lot of options. I'd check the release date on anything that interests you, and see when the kit was newly-tooled.

Edit: The forums really don't like this shitshow of a link, so here it is in code form.

code:
[url]https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[/url][]=Kits&q=p-40+1%2F48*&fkTYPEGROUP[]=%22Curtiss%20P-40%20Warhawk%22&fkTYPENAME[]=%22Full%20kits%22#
Aaaaaand it keeps auto-appending the URL tags. Whatever. I give up. You get the gist.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 7, 2020

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

FiskTireBoy posted:

I did a Revell 1970 Hemi Cuda recently and I was very impressed with the quality of the kit and it's fitment. It was almost Tamiya level. The model was stamped 2013 so that might have something to do with it.

I've done other Revell cars like a 1970 Corvette that were truly horrible though.

Thats good to hear because I have that cuda model kit waiting on my shelf for me to get the nerve to build it.

Aaron A Aardvark
Oct 31, 2010

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah I wish Bandai would move into more types of models. Their quality to price ratio blows everyone else out of the water. Their Star Wars kits are incredible, it's too bad licensing bullshit has made it tough to get them in the US.

The Airfix kit seems to be fairly well regarded. Only came out in 2016 so relatively recent moulding.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Eduard has a couple of P-40 kits of different marks. Their new kits are super well done and depending on which level you get can include resin and preprinted etch.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Happy Pearl Harbor Day motherfuckers! I only broke one of the smaller guns off!

Sorry for cellphone pics, and for lack of WIP pics. I wanted to bust this out while my wife was at work and before I got too drunk :cheers:

There's so many greebles for this scale (from quick googling, it's 1:1824 at 4" long (!)) and I don't have to buy any paints whatsoever. I have a Delorean from the same line I'll do next, but despite the fact that they say there's no glue required I'll probably pick up some CA for securing things a bit better. It gets wobbly otherwise.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Bucnasti posted:

https://www.hobbyworks.com/
Here's a local shop that has a good selection of the Star Wars kits (or at least did last time I was there in person) and flat rate shipping.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Soul Dentist posted:

Happy Pearl Harbor Day motherfuckers! I only broke one of the smaller guns off!

Sorry for cellphone pics, and for lack of WIP pics. I wanted to bust this out while my wife was at work and before I got too drunk :cheers:

There's so many greebles for this scale (from quick googling, it's 1:1824 at 4" long (!)) and I don't have to buy any paints whatsoever. I have a Delorean from the same line I'll do next, but despite the fact that they say there's no glue required I'll probably pick up some CA for securing things a bit better. It gets wobbly otherwise.

So tiny! Looks pretty good, is that one of those 'bend the metal' kits?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah it's 'Metal Earth' series now. When I started getting jazzed about modelling recently I saw them recommended in this thread and ordered one to try out. I moved at the same time and was lucky enough to find a set of Craftsman pliers (with sprue cutters and bent pliers and needle nose and one that was missing) and an Exacto set with a couple handles and novelty blades. Between these and a good pair of flat-bladed tweezers I've felt spoiled for tools. This one was more... particular because the subject required more precision, and uneven or loose parts were more obvious than the first:

This one was a model of an actual book sculpture seen here:

find resolution

e: To be clear I think the steel "replica" is way cooler than the original piece, even giving the artist credit for originality.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Just received a package in the mail that contains a Christmas gift from a good friend. A model kit:

I'm gonna put it on a shelf with my Tamiya centaur tank.

The plastic (resin?) smells nice when I sand it so it's probably carcinogenic.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Just received a package in the mail that contains a Christmas gift from a good friend. A model kit:

I'm gonna put it on a shelf with my Tamiya centaur tank.

The plastic (resin?) smells nice when I sand it so it's probably carcinogenic.

Yes, mask up for that.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Ok, that answers the skirt question, but how would a centaur wear pants?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MrUnderbridge posted:

I don't think there are any models though.

Edit: also, lol

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 9, 2020

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

I thought I'd try making a lil scooter for fun. it's been a blast!

Any advice on how to get the clear plastic light covers to stick to the chromed parts? Also, how can I keep the decals on the chromed parts from flaking off at the slightest touch? Thanks!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I've used Model Masters Clear Parts Cement in the past and it worked pretty well.

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I've used Model Masters Clear Parts Cement in the past and it worked pretty well.

This is what I was going to say. It takes quite a long time to dry so you might want to tape the part in place while it's drying so it doesn't fall off.

I'm not sure about the decals though. Maybe apply some flat clear coat over them?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The old standby of PVA is another option.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Been getting some good use out of my hotwire foam table. Loving this thing so far.

Hmmm, what could I be building....

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

MrUnderbridge posted:

The question we really need to ask is a centaur cavalry, infantry or a dragoon?

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

Ensign Expendable posted:

The question we really need to ask is a centaur cavalry, infantry or a dragoon?

If they have riders they could be two at once! Heavy Cav and a Dragoon at once.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Been getting some good use out of my hotwire foam table.

I'm so jealous of how thick that XPS is. I've looked at every hardware store and all of them seem to stock 5mm at best.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Furism posted:

I'm so jealous of how thick that XPS is. I've looked at every hardware store and all of them seem to stock 5mm at best.

Really? I've only ever seen the thick stuff. This is 1", and the only other sizes Home Depot had here in Canada was 1.5" and 2".

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Furism posted:

You'll want to look somewhere that sells construction materials. It's just called foam board insulation. They should definitely have thicker sheets unless you live in Hawaii or something. Keep in mind the sheets in the US are 4'x8', so either bring a vehicle large enough to haul it or a utility knife to rough cut it down to pieces that will fit in your car.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If you can find Foamular though, which is what I'm using, they do sell it in 2'x2' project panels though, so it's the perfect size for hobbyists.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/owens-corning-foam-insulation-2x2-project-panels/1000845392

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

Keep in mind the sheets in the US are 4'x8', so either bring a vehicle large enough to haul it or a utility knife to rough cut it down to pieces that will fit in your car.

Fortunately if you forget the places that sell foam insulation usually also have knives available. :v:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I am "finished". Or at least at a point I can say i'm finished.

I could clear coat it, then weather it. Maybe I will? We'll see. But for my first "big" model since 10 years old.. this feels pretty good.

Edit: Yeowza, that's a bad photo, let me get another.

Edit: That's a bit better.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 9, 2020

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Nerobro posted:

I am "finished". Or at least at a point I can say i'm finished.

I could clear coat it, then weather it. Maybe I will? We'll see. But for my first "big" model since 10 years old.. this feels pretty good.

Edit: Yeowza, that's a bad photo, let me get another.

Edit: That's a bit better.

Not enough sharks teeth. All P-40s need sharks teeth.

Otherwise, not bad considering all the issues with that kit.

Does it have a drop tank? my kit didn't include a drop tank.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Question:

My dad used to work on Sikorsky S-62/HH-52's in the Coast Guard, and from scalemates it looks like a pretty rare model. I've reached out to "Unicraft," which supposedly made a modern model as of 2011 but doesn't have it on their website currently.

Is there another resource any of y'all have to find a model (of nearly any scale/degree of shittiness) that I can spend money on?

Soul Dentist fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 10, 2020

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

SkunkDuster posted:

You'll want to look somewhere that sells construction materials. It's just called foam board insulation. They should definitely have thicker sheets unless you live in Hawaii or something. Keep in mind the sheets in the US are 4'x8', so either bring a vehicle large enough to haul it or a utility knife to rough cut it down to pieces that will fit in your car.

Yeah no, I have, and no one stocks XPS that thick. I think constructors use something different in France. They use a lot of glass wool and cellulose insulation. Anything XPS is very thin.

E: drat, I double-checked on one of the leading brand, and it seems they just got a bunch in stock, up to 120mm! Definitely wasn't there two days ago.

Furism fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 10, 2020

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Re: Revell talk. I'm haunted by childhood memories of trying to fit together their F4U Corsair. I'm sure one side of the fuselage was longer than the other. I never did get it to fit together right and the model was too heavy for the connecting areas.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Darth Brooks posted:

Re: Revell talk. I'm haunted by childhood memories of trying to fit together their F4U Corsair. I'm sure one side of the fuselage was longer than the other. I never did get it to fit together right and the model was too heavy for the connecting areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Midjack posted:

Fortunately if you forget the places that sell foam insulation usually also have knives available. :v:

Last time I picked up a sheet, it was cold as hell (they kept the insulation out in the yard). The guy got a little grumpy with me when I asked him to cut it in half because he had to wander off to find a knife. I was thinking he could have just used the panel saw that was right next to him, but who am I to tell him how to do his job. Moral of the story, always bring a knife to a styrofoam fight.