Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Master of Magic has DLC now???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

ikanreed posted:

Master of Magic has DLC now???

The company doing the rerelease picked up a total overhaul mod called Caster of Magic that's been worked on and updated for years and repackaged it as DLC. IIRC the same person doing the mod is also helping out with the MoM sequel that's being bandied about, though I'm less sure about that one.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
SEQUEL?!?!??!!!!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Warlock I fell in love with, are there any 4xs similar to that? I guess in simplicity

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I don't remember the other aspects of the game, such as combat and diplomacy being very fleshed out. There was a ship designer of course, but the tactical battles seemed a little.. dull? Certainly not as fun as MOO2 or even Space Empires.

I didn't care for tactical combat in MOO2. MOO had a great little tactical chess match, and some interesting decision-making over when to mothball one of your 6 ship design slots to create a new one. MOO2 was just about building your best ships and setting up a firing line.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hey, it's Mayveena from the Management Megathread. Somehow I missed this thread! I have moved away somewhat from 4X games and more into base building games, and I was thinking about why. I've been playing video games since the TRS 80 so been through a lot of changes in the industry. One of the biggest issues to me in 4X gaming is that Civilization takes up nearly all of the oxygen in the space, leaving not much room for innovation. For example, Star Ruler 2 (made by Goons!!) just couldn't get any traction even though it was well designed and really interesting. But it wasn't really a 'civ' game, so eventually they gave it away for free. For me personally, I'm tired of beating up Africans (yes I know it's everyone but that whole schtick has gotten way old for me) and want something fresh. I'm looking at Shadow Empires. Thing is I'm old now, and janky UI's are an issue for me. Also I'm hard of hearing, and I just don't understand a good bit of DasTactic or even Grey Hunter. Anyone have a video with good communication that an American can understand? Again no prejudice whatsoever is meant but I am hard of hearing.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

Warlock I fell in love with, are there any 4xs similar to that? I guess in simplicity

Gog.com has Warlords III, it's kinda old but still good, and simple.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Dunno about the communication but I have my shadow empire tutorial vids and a couple of LP's linked in the OP of the game thread. For the first vid of the MP VLP my microphone is a dud bit after that it's fine.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
hi, i just noticed this thread after having another ES2 stint last month and I figured I'd say ES2 is still very very good, but then I saw this:

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

• 1991: Civilization (is this available anywhere online?)
  • 1996: Civilization II (is this available anywhere online?)
It's available online at http://www.freeciv.org/download.html :v:

default freeciv ruleset is a custom civ2 inspired ruleset with some neat things backported from civ3, and modified so it's good and fun to play online

however, it does also ship with classic civ1 and civ2 rulesets, and lets you play those on pretty much any hardware made in the last 20 years, comfortably on modern monitor resolutions. it is hands down the best way to play the first two civilization games, and it's completely free

e: also, in spirit of the thread title, the AI isn't great, but after 20 years of fiddling it does tend to do better than in the original two games at least :v:

Truga fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 9, 2020

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Mayveena posted:

Hey, it's Mayveena from the Management Megathread. Somehow I missed this thread! I have moved away somewhat from 4X games and more into base building games

Do you mean like city builder games? Like caesar3? 4x games and city builders scratch the same itch for me, building an empire that needs a balance of resources isnt super far from building the pottery chain in c3

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Snail Information posted:

Do you mean like city builder games? Like caesar3? 4x games and city builders scratch the same itch for me, building an empire that needs a balance of resources isnt super far from building the pottery chain in c3

Management games (vs RTS style base building games) don't have the Xterminate part and I'm not sure that I miss it that much? On the other hand, I've had a lot of fun with Distant Worlds!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

been playing endless space 2 without dlc and holds rather well for a basic 4x feels

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Mayveena posted:

Management games (vs RTS style base building games) don't have the Xterminate part and I'm not sure that I miss it that much? On the other hand, I've had a lot of fun with Distant Worlds!

I mean you're conquering the wilderness and turning it into overflow housing or whatever

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Truga posted:

hi, i just noticed this thread after having another ES2 stint last month and I figured I'd say ES2 is still very very good, but then I saw this:
It's available online at http://www.freeciv.org/download.html :v:

default freeciv ruleset is a custom civ2 inspired ruleset with some neat things backported from civ3, and modified so it's good and fun to play online

however, it does also ship with classic civ1 and civ2 rulesets, and lets you play those on pretty much any hardware made in the last 20 years, comfortably on modern monitor resolutions. it is hands down the best way to play the first two civilization games, and it's completely free

Nice, thanks for linking! civ 5 was my first civ and I enjoyed civ 4. I've had a weird desire to go back and try the civs that started it all.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

http://www.silverlemurgames.com/2020/12/10/im-making-a-sequel-to-stellar-monarch/

Stellar Monarch 2. Neat. :toot:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Nifty! One of the frustrating things about Stellar Monarch was that the autonomous fleets didnt quite work right and you had to micro them a lot to acheive good results.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Nice, thanks for linking! civ 5 was my first civ and I enjoyed civ 4. I've had a weird desire to go back and try the civs that started it all.

You gonna play the board game?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'd certainly like to give it a go.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

How does stand up Age of Wonders 3 these days? I have it on my steam backlog and couldn't manage to get into it back then, but been playing some HoMMIII recently and I remembered it

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

dead gay comedy forums posted:

How does stand up Age of Wonders 3 these days? I have it on my steam backlog and couldn't manage to get into it back then, but been playing some HoMMIII recently and I remembered it

AoW3 has had so many expansions that the campaign difficulty balances are all out of whack. Some missions are laughably easy. Some are almost impossibly hard.

If you just want to mess around in sandbox, it's still fun, but for all practical purposes there's no single player campaign.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

LLSix posted:

AoW3 has had so many expansions that the campaign difficulty balances are all out of whack. Some missions are laughably easy. Some are almost impossibly hard.

If you just want to mess around in sandbox, it's still fun, but for all practical purposes there's no single player campaign.

It only has two?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Meridian posted:

It only has two?

That's true. I'm surprised they never went back and rebalanced the campaigns then.

I got through the first few levels when I played it but when I started having trouble everyone in the thread for it told me not to continue with the campaigns because they'd gotten broken by balance changes. I pushed through another level or two but then ran into a wall I couldn't even got close to overcoming.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

LLSix posted:

That's true. I'm surprised they never went back and rebalanced the campaigns then.

I got through the first few levels when I played it but when I started having trouble everyone in the thread for it told me not to continue with the campaigns because they'd gotten broken by balance changes. I pushed through another level or two but then ran into a wall I couldn't even got close to overcoming.

To be fair they might have shaken things up with general patches and I'd have no idea. Barely have any time in the game myself.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/doomquasar/status/1242520928317313026

This was a while ago, but when I originally read about this, my first reaction was that it sounded more like an Alpha Centauri quote. Then I belatedly found out that Ken Levine himself has gone on the record how Alpha Centauri served as an inspiration for Bioshock.

Now I can't stop thinking about a 4X game that has competing factions of crazy ideologues colonizing the ocean floor.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Oh good someone posted in here so I don't have to find it again - I have more games for the OP list. Star Ruler 2 (and 1 too I suppose). I'm still not entirely sure if it's a good game or not but it's definitely worth trying out because it does some very interesting poo poo in diplomacy and empire building. Deadlock: Planetary Conquest is a older game but my teenaged past self is highly confident that it's fantastic (while my embittered current self says that I have enough games I already don't play on Steam that I shouldn't spent $7 to find out if past me is right).

There's also AI War, which for anyone who doesn't know AI War is one of those series that defies genre. It's sorta the bastard child of 4X and roguelikes, with a totally false veneer of a space RTS too.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Star Ruler is goon made.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Star Ruler 2 kicks rear end and should absolutely be on the list. AI War is iffier because I don't really consider it a 4x but it's certainly an interesting game!

EDIT: Did anyone mention Remnants of the Precursors yet? https://rayfowler.itch.io/remnants-of-the-precursors

It's a one-man remake and modernization of MoO1 that doesn't actually alter any of the game's core systems, just gives it more modern QOL and art. Still in beta at the moment but it is feature complete, and completely free.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 6, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Saros posted:

Nifty! One of the frustrating things about Stellar Monarch was that the autonomous fleets didnt quite work right and you had to micro them a lot to acheive good results.

Is there a guide for this somewhere? This baffled me when I was trying to learn the game but I otherwise liked it

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Mayveena posted:

Star Ruler is goon made.

Who made the wiki?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Any info on Distant Worlds 2 release date? It’s super vague everywhere.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Mokotow posted:

Any info on Distant Worlds 2 release date? It’s super vague everywhere.

According to the interview below, they're aiming at this summer but it depends on the feedback from closed beta for what needs addressing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAWOnTeV6qo&t=3324s

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Who made the wiki?

Don't know.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

orangelex44 posted:

Oh good someone posted in here so I don't have to find it again - I have more games for the OP list. Star Ruler 2 (and 1 too I suppose). I'm still not entirely sure if it's a good game or not but it's definitely worth trying out because it does some very interesting poo poo in diplomacy and empire building. Deadlock: Planetary Conquest is a older game but my teenaged past self is highly confident that it's fantastic (while my embittered current self says that I have enough games I already don't play on Steam that I shouldn't spent $7 to find out if past me is right).

There's also AI War, which for anyone who doesn't know AI War is one of those series that defies genre. It's sorta the bastard child of 4X and roguelikes, with a totally false veneer of a space RTS too.

I loved deadlock as a kid, but the UI is incomprehensible to me as an adult and I am amazed how much I played it.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Stellaris got a Humble Bundle

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

orangelex44 posted:

Deadlock: Planetary Conquest is a older game but my teenaged past self is highly confident that it's fantastic (while my embittered current self says that I have enough games I already don't play on Steam that I shouldn't spent $7 to find out if past me is right).

The reviews on steam suggest it doesn't work on Steam and recommends gog. I'll add it to the OP in a bit along with other games mentioned recently

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Shadow Empire is a lot of fun, but the early metal/industry point scrounging is excruciating :froggonk: also I can never super remember how the discovery-to-research-to-BP chain works because I was drunk while I was learning to play. Creating logistic supply lines between my cities makes my brain do the Good Chemical though

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

Shadow Empire is a lot of fun, but the early metal/industry point scrounging is excruciating :froggonk:

This is why I only like to play on planets that had at least like a billion people pre-dissolution war, so that I'm much more likely to have some good scavenge hexes. As far as IP, pray for an eager industrialist card or a card that gives a huge chunk to private economy money and pray that they decide to build a factory with it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Been really enjoying Stellaris though like all these Paradox games I just play them as rpgs with a weird interface. My super-friendly dog people will expand across the stars and love everyone. Whether they like it or not.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Been really enjoying Stellaris though like all these Paradox games I just play them as rpgs with a weird interface. My super-friendly dog people will expand across the stars and love everyone. Whether they like it or not.

I'm picturing that they will forgive just about anything as long as you throw the ball for them. Also, their online forums are filled with debates about how throwing the ball for yourself is unfulfilling and using a machine to throw the ball is dirty and treated kind of like having a real doll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Let's have a debate: What 4X strategy had the best/most enjoyable AI opponents?