Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they have them on some games, but with no indication as to which do on the store or launcher. i find the deranged panicking about how the egs will consume all that lives that pops up in this thread every couple of pages really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

repiv posted:

Cave Story+ is free on EGS this week, if you don't mind giving Nicalis some epicbux

I looked into this a while back and I'm pretty sure the giveaways are part of the flat-rate exclusivity contract the devs sign with Epic. They're not getting compensated for each game claimed, so you don't have to worry about Nicalis getting more epicbux at least (and conversely, developers you like won't get compensated extra for the keys you claim). I suppose there might be some squishy future-contract-leverage effect, but probably not enough to worry about either way!

Shlomo Palestein posted:

E5 is the precursor to 7.62. the real time battle system is fun, but it's real janky

Thanks, it's been so long I forgot those were separate games!

E: Speaking of IndieGala jank, Kalaban is the new freebie. It sounds like a decently intriguing indie horror that may or may not totally fail to run.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 4, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Also only buy them if you're going to play them now and not like... 3 months later once you finish the other cool games on your backlog

Shutup! Get out of my head! You're not my real Dad!!!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

doctorfrog posted:

Buying games on sale is the game. Also, getting free games is the game, and also never playing those games is the game.

i am in this post and i don't like it

(tyranny next week!!)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Witcher 1: Enhanced Edition is now free if you use the GOG Galaxy client and do the whole newsletter thing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Kins posted:

The Witcher 1: Enhanced Edition is now free if you use the GOG Galaxy client and do the whole newsletter thing.

Feels like it's free on GOG every year. Not complaining though.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

flesh dance posted:

I've always assumed Epic didn't even include an achievement system on their games, which felt like a letdown to me since I find those dumb things so satisfying. So they actually do have them? The only game on Epic I've sunk any time into doesn't have achievements on Steam either, so I wouldn't have known either way

They've had achievements as an "Up Next" feature since April.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Kins posted:

That's not very free, you've gotta give them an email!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Feels like it's free on GOG every year. Not complaining though.

I'm pretty sure they've given away every Witcher game honestly. I have all 3 on PC and don't remember ever paying for them

Edit: 3 came from having it on ps4. That's where I got it from

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
What's the drama with Nicalis now?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Fuzz posted:

What's the drama with Nicalis now?

From last week.

TGLT posted:

It's Cave Story+, an updated version with some new graphics and a few extra modes. Also Nicalis has been trying to kill all the free versions of the original Cave Story so y'know, at this point it might be the easiest way to get it for free now.

Waffleman_ posted:

Pixel did make a new game. Nicalis basically scammed him out of the rights to Cave Story and has been doing whatever they want with it.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah, the guy behind nicalis is an extremely bad person. here's one article, but iirc there are a lot more bad stories about him than just this

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/09/12/nicalis-controversy/

treat posted:

Funny timing, but here's another one for the "gently caress Nicalis" pile

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/11/26/nicalis-issue-dmca-takedowns-against-cave-story-fangame/

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Nicalis is bad in the worker abuse sense and you shouldn't support them, but the thing about trying to wipe the original Cave Story off the internet appears to have been overstated; it's still available the same way it's always been, including the binary on Pixel's site and the fan translation on the Aeon Genesis site. Also Pixel is apparently still getting money from most CS+ versions if not all, worked on one of them to include a partly-finished level for the original and stated quite a while ago that he didn't intend to make a sequel, so I don't know that he's necessarily unhappy with how the license has been handled.

Still gently caress the Nicalis CEO, though, if that wasn't clear.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah, here's an article and they're just targeting a fan remake of the original game by arguing it's using the original's source code. So my bad on that one.

As for whether or not Nicalis scammed the rights, I don't think anyone really knows all the details other than Pixel works with Playism now while the IP stays with Nicalis. And that the CEO is a prick. Wind Fortress, if that's the level you're referring to, has been in since 2011 I think. Pretty sure it was part of the initial release. Pixel also wasn't involved in the development of Cave Story 3D I don't think.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 4, 2020

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Isn't the Playism founder also a sex pest, or was that Degica?

Edit: For actual content, looks like Chainsaw Warrior (one of the Warhammer company's other games) got added to Indiegala Freebies, but for some reason it's near the bottom of the list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F6phyyRhiw

And Peripeteia - Shodanon also got added to the Showcase section:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O60Pd7bDKQQ

Also, has anyone had an issue where when Indiegala's UI updated recently, a bunch of the more recent free games had "Add to Library" prompts again, instead of just the download prompt? I didn't check to see if they were actually removed from my library before I hit the button again. But it looks like this is only the case with the recent Freebie games, the older games in the Showcase section didn't change but those pages also don't use the new UI.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 4, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Prime Gaming just dropped Yooka-Laylee.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Humble Bundle's latest giveaway is a GOG key for Seven: Enhanced Edition.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Requires you to link accounts.
Looks decent though.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Seven is a wonderful indie darling little isometric stealth-action RPG. I wholeheartedly recommend this game, you need to get it. Especially at the price of free, then you're out exactly $0 if you don't like it!

A seriously great title to get for free.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I got a 404 when I finally clicked through the nth page to get the game, but it showed up in my GOG account just fine.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This is such a weird promo. Humble does not sell GOG games and it doesn't seem they would start now, because Humble already does the whole DRM-free thing where possible, so why bother with the middle man. GOG can give out freebies on their web site without promoting a competitor's newsletter, which they frequently do.

It begs the question on what kind of information and its value both companies are getting out of connecting their users accounts.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Saoshyant posted:

This is such a weird promo. Humble does not sell GOG games and it doesn't seem they would start now, because Humble already does the whole DRM-free thing where possible, so why bother with the middle man. GOG can give out freebies on their web site without promoting a competitor's newsletter, which they frequently do.

It begs the question on what kind of information and its value both companies are getting out of connecting their users accounts.

CDPR (who own GOG) have a new game out and want to be in IGN's (who own Humble) good graces.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

njsykora posted:

CDPR (who own GOG) have a new game out and want to be in IGN's (who own Humble) good graces.

Well, that could be it. I forgot IGN acquired Humble a year or two ago.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Seconding the Seven is really cool sentiment. It plays super well thanks to lots of post release support but still feels like eurojank, if that makes any sense. There's a lot of love baked into the game.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Weird, I don't see why Humble wouldn't offer GOG keys if it could, and I don't see why GOG wouldn't let someone else sell their keys. They're all possible sales they might not see otherwise.

Also a giveaway of GOG keys via Humble could help ascertain how much demand there may be for such a thing. All at the price of some free keys for a game that probably doesn't sell all that well on either platform, both of which drive users for a Humble Newsletter and the GOG Galaxy client.

Both houses benefit from a standalone giveaway and a key reseller relationship.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
When you boot up Seven it says it was made with the help of Humble Bundle, which makes it sound like they invested in development and would explain why they're giving it away. I installed it and played through the tutorial, and it seems really cool! I'm surprised I've never even heard of this game, it's fully voice acted with a cool setting, and while the combat and stealth seem pretty barebones and basic, there's definitely enough going on to keep me interested for a while. Definitely worth an install.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Seven is a wonderful indie darling little isometric stealth-action RPG. I wholeheartedly recommend this game, you need to get it. Especially at the price of free, then you're out exactly $0 if you don't like it!

A seriously great title to get for free.

this game looked very promising, but i totally forgot about it. it didn't get much attention post release.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Cyberpunk retail keys use GOG instead of Steam or Epic, so odds are this is basically a convenient way to test the system for redeeming Cyberpunk pre-orders so it doesn't break on release day.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Humble has had relationships with other game storefronts for many years, such as Steam and Origin. I don't understand why anybody would think it's weird that they have a relationship with GOG too.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
you don't understand we need to get to the bottom of exactly who is giving out the free games here because i smell something fishy and yes my monitor's on!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If the two businesses have a mutually beneficial relationship it’s not really free is it!!!!

It’s definitely not free if I have to give them my email address :mad:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If the two businesses have a mutually beneficial relationship it’s not really free is it!!!!

no you're quite right! someone is getting something and it's about time we find out exactly why gog is hiding their relationship with this whole sordid "free game" bullshit.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm not devoting thought to this. Time is money. I need the games to just appear in my library.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm not devoting thought to this. Time is money. I need the games to just appear in my library.

the real game is in gradually bending the will of these devs with their stupid hoops. we've already got them to gently caress off with the "watch this video for a link" and just hand out the loving link. The "end boss" of this particular game is to get these desperate pubs to just put the games straight into your account without you having to do a single goddamned thing -- not even a click. There are too many free games already, so yeah, gently caress you if you think I'm watching a video lmao

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thought is theft

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I agree with the poster that said why even buy games anymore

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I agree with the poster that said why even buy games anymore

I mean Nintendo’s never giving me a free Pokemon.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
That's why you play Temtem now.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
PokeMMO is a thing that exists and works more or less how you might expect such a thing to work. Just sayin. And you can play it on Android phones...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Pillars of Eternity: Definitive Edition and Tyranny: Gold Edition are free on EGS this week

Like last year they are going to do daily giveaways leading up to christmas, starting next week

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

repiv posted:

Like last year they are going to do daily giveaways leading up to christmas, starting next week

Daily? Wow, that's generous... or so it seems! I wasn't around for this last year, so is this legitimately something to get excited about or is it all shovelware?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Mix of both