Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

flightless greeb posted:

What did merc do

Lobbied the US government to change federalization laws because so many grey market W126s were ending up in the states that weren't lovely 380SEs being sold for absurd prices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Just found out that my friend who ordered a MY 21 GT4 has had his car stuck in customs for like 4 weeks now, apparently none of the 992 or 718 cars passed CARB regulations yet or something. He's kind of irritated at the delay/uncertainty/lack of communications but rumors are they might actually get cleared to the dealers on Monday so he's all sorts of anxious this weekend.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It took me halfway through that sentence to realize you were talking about Porsche and not the M4 GT4 racecar.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
absolutely insane youd think anyone would buy that

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BraveUlysses posted:

absolutely insane youd think anyone would buy that

It comes with a fanatec steering wheel.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Merry Christmas, BMW thread.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

See, it's very practical.

Nice looking car

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I thought BMW has moved away from having non m cars with manuals, but it looks like you can still spec a 230 with a 6 speed and sport package.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I fit our Christmas tree inside the e46 touring. Wagons rule.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Popete posted:

The other day I was strongly considering getting a cheap beater Cayenne for when I have to do adult things in a car instead of fun things in a car but I don't want to make a nice car dirty.

For example: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/824618831/overview/

This seems like a plan that will never backfire in any way :v:

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

KillHour posted:

The other day I was strongly considering getting a cheap beater Cayenne for when I have to do adult things in a car instead of fun things in a car but I don't want to make a nice car dirty.

For example: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/824618831/overview/

This seems like a plan that will never backfire in any way :v:

Do it. I'm not sure about the earlier generations of Cayenne but the newer models are surprisingly robust. One of my good friends has 170k mi on his 2013 Turbo and he said it's never given him any issues.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I think Motronic has a beater/tow Cayenne

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I've previously been tempted by beater Cayennes, but I stop because I remember my ability to repair random German air suspensions parts at home is poor.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
A conversion to a normal suspension is cheap and reliable.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Erulisse posted:

A used 4Runner is cheap and reliable.

Fixed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Erulisse posted:

A used 4Runner is reliable.

fixed more

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The Cayenne air suspension is pretty sick for towing

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
front legroom on 4runner is abysmal imo

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I havent checked at all but I wouldn't be surprised if a like '09 Cayenne was cheaper than an '09 forerunner lol

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Couldn’t find any 09’s of both in my area but I found 2012 Cayenne with 84k on it for 21900 and a 2012 4Runner with 126k on it for 20,000. The Cayenne is V6 poser spec with black plastic cladding and the 4Runner is an SR5 but still.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

flightless greeb posted:

I havent checked at all but I wouldn't be surprised if a like '09 Cayenne was cheaper than an '09 forerunner lol

Yes, but even if it is, is it?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Oh cmon is this AI or some granny forum

Slap a 2jz in there, getrag 260, rwd convo, 18'' rims with fat r888r's and do sick burnouts while doing choo-choo noises. Have fun for gently caress's sake

yes I daily a TLC and its boring

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
So within the next year or two I'm likely going to be emigrating from the US to Spain and of course I'm already scoping out cars. I currently drive a 135i and a M44 swapped 2002 and am torn between importing one of my cars or looking into a M135i or M140i. Importing the 135i will cost about $5k and that's tempting because I adore the car and one with my mileage and options goes for about twice there than it does here. The 2002 I'm dubious if I could even register it.

Im curious what people's opinions are about the M135I and M140i. I've heard that they have weak steering. Are they still doing hydraulic or are they electronic power steering? Also what are some good online classified sites in EU? Would I get a better price if I bought in Germany?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i personally dont understand why you would move to europe and not buy some euro market only poo poo like an A110

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Popete posted:

Same. I had the E91 prepped to put it on top but it was cold and dark so I just dropped the seats and crammed it inside.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i personally dont understand why you would move to europe and not buy some euro market only poo poo like an A110

You read my mind. If I can find one I can afford if definitely go that route. There's a lot of really interesting vintage poo poo out there as well. 2002s and old Alfas go for nothing. The idea of a 1 series two door hatch is very tempting though. It seems like the perfect mix of my 135i and my old E36 318ti which was incredibly practical. What other EU exclusive cars in that range do you think a person who's owned ten BMWs would enjoy? The thing I love about my 1 series is that it's such a bare bones sports car. 6 speed, manual steering, zero touch screens etc..

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

James Woods posted:

You read my mind. If I can find one I can afford if definitely go that route. There's a lot of really interesting vintage poo poo out there as well. 2002s and old Alfas go for nothing. The idea of a 1 series two door hatch is very tempting though. It seems like the perfect mix of my 135i and my old E36 318ti which was incredibly practical. What other EU exclusive cars in that range do you think a person who's owned ten BMWs would enjoy? The thing I love about my 1 series is that it's such a bare bones sports car. 6 speed, manual steering, zero touch screens etc..

No idea what the used market is like, but whenever I'm in Europe I'm always eyeing the small Audi RS wagons we don't get here in the states.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'll give you 20 dollars for your 2002.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

James Woods posted:

You removed the power steering rack?

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

You removed the power steering rack?

Sorry hydraulic steering. Although the 2002 is straight mechanical. I can't stand the BMW electronic power steering. I allmost got an M2 when I bought my 1 series but the steering was a deal breaker.

Sp I looked at used A110s and they seem to be around $70k so that ain't happening. I'm going to budget around 20k Euro for whatever I get. Does anyone know what the EU or Spanish rules are for engine swaps? I can't find any solid info but I'd love to build another E30 with a S50 or M62. BTW I'm not worried about economy and am well aware of petrol prices out there. The car will mainly be for road trips down the Amalfi coast and to the Nurburgring. Last time I road tripped Spain I rented a 1. whatever Fiat 500 and was incredibly frustrated standing on the pedal the whole time getting passed by Gulias and Mercs. If I do this I'm either getting something fast or something with enough vintage charm that I won't mind a lack of power.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Buy an Alpina BMW.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

Buy an Alpina BMW.

I've driven a few B7s and they're great. Does Alpina do manuals? That's another deal breaker for me.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

James Woods posted:

So within the next year or two I'm likely going to be emigrating from the US to Spain and of course I'm already scoping out cars. I currently drive a 135i and a M44 swapped 2002 and am torn between importing one of my cars or looking into a M135i or M140i. Importing the 135i will cost about $5k and that's tempting because I adore the car and one with my mileage and options goes for about twice there than it does here. The 2002 I'm dubious if I could even register it.

Im curious what people's opinions are about the M135I and M140i. I've heard that they have weak steering. Are they still doing hydraulic or are they electronic power steering? Also what are some good online classified sites in EU? Would I get a better price if I bought in Germany?

If you are going to stay in spain then you totally should bring the 2002. Mountain roads are :kiss: in such a car.
The process is dull and involves quite a few inspections and forms to be filled. If you habla espanol and like punching yourself in the dick while taking numerous photos and getting local car club specs list for your car, importing the car to show it to your local itv guys first etc etc etc then go read https://sede.dgt.gob.es/es/vehiculos/matriculaciones-de-vehiculos/matriculacion-vehiculos-historicos/index.shtml
The car then can be registered as classic (driven only 5000km per year, less tax, less insurance but has to be kept in a garage) or as a normal car but in case of 'normal car' it has to do a thorough inspection (itv) every year. It won't pass the latter IMO. Also the texes are going to be high. Very high.
Though I totally recommend contacting a few import companies for a quote, it will ease the problems and should be within your budget. I'm no longer in spain and my info is a few years dated so called my friend there and asked him some questions about the process to see if anything changed. He'll call back in a few days

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 10, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I would be looking at some kind of the various hot hatches. europe has great hot hatch choices. Various renaultsport things, older fast Fords, fast VAG product like the Leon Cupra, etc

Practical ish but kind of fun and weird as daily driver choices. probably not great for ring lapping.
Alfa 159 wagon
C5 Hydramatic wagon

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Erulisse posted:

If you are going to stay in spain then you totally should bring the 2002. Mountain roads are :kiss: in such a car.
The process is dull and involves quite a few inspections and forms to be filled. If you habla espanol and like punching yourself in the dick while taking numerous photos and getting local car club specs list for your car, importing the car to show it to your local itv guys first etc etc etc then go read https://sede.dgt.gob.es/es/vehiculos/matriculaciones-de-vehiculos/matriculacion-vehiculos-historicos/index.shtml
The car then can be registered as classic (driven only 5000km per year, less tax, less insurance but has to be kept in a garage) or as a normal car but in case of 'normal car' it has to do a thorough inspection (itv) every year. It won't pass the latter IMO. Also the texes are going to be high. Very high.
Though I totally recommend contacting a few import companies for a quote, it will ease the problems and should be within your budget. I'm no longer in spain and my info is a few years dated so called my friend there and asked him some questions about the process to see if anything changed. He'll call back in a few days

Thanks for the info wasn't aware that there is a separate classic car registration. Not sure what you mean by itv or getting specs from local car clubs though.

My 02 was professnally built but like I said it is engine swapped and a bit of a rat rod. Race suspension, custom big brake kit, custom wiring harness, lots of metal fabbed parts. I've always heard horror stories about EU inspections and wasnt sure what they'd think of my little monster. I would hate to get there and realize I spent thousands of dollars on a 200hp track only car. And while mine has sentimental value 02s go for nothing out there and mine would sell here for twice as much as a nice EU model costs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would be looking at some kind of the various hot hatches. europe has great hot hatch choices. Various renaultsport things, older fast Fords, fast VAG product like the Leon Cupra, etc

Practical ish but kind of fun and weird as daily driver choices. probably not great for ring lapping.
Alfa 159 wagon
C5 Hydramatic wagon

I'm not totally sold on a hatchback but it would be nice. Again this will likely not be a daily driver. If I have to commute to work I'll likely use a bicycle/motorcycle/scooter. I'll be living in central Madrid and taking monthly trips ro Barcelona, Valencia and a few road trips a year to Germany, Austria, and Italy. My main criteria in order are.

Fast enough for mountain driving and yearly trips to the Nordschleife.

RWD

Manual

Tight steering. No EPS and no Audis.

Simplicity. No touch screens, iDrive or similar nonsense.

I might consider a convertible as well as long as it's a purpose built roadster. For example in in the states I'd never own a 3 series convertible but I'd own a Z3.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Controversial opinion: there is nothing wrong with EPS unless it is boosted as poo poo

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Controversial opinion: there is nothing wrong with EPS unless it is boosted as poo poo
:wrong:

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
If there's an EPS system that doesn't feel like a Logitech I haven't driven it and I'm a service mechanic who specializes in European cars.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Good god now we're going to get Bape in here with some real bad opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What the gently caress!