Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Ineptitude posted:

Any chance Greymoor might go on sale during Black Friday events?

I’d say the chance is anywhere from 0% to 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Create a price alert on isthereanydeal, and forget about it

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes

Ineptitude posted:

Any chance Greymoor might go on sale during Black Friday events?

Yes it's on sale: https://isthereanydeal.com/game/elderscrollsonlinegreymoor/info/

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thanks! 66% discount, thats pretty good

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Last i played was before Elsweyr and i played a magica based templar, with 5 pieces of Julianos and 5 pieces of Spell Strategist.

My favorite MMO playstyle is playing tanky/healy classes that can fight for a long time due to self healing (passive and active) as well as maybe wearing lots of armor.

Is there still a go-to build for magica templars that fit this description? Most of my skills and hotbars have been reset, i assume there has been lots of changes.

I’d prefer to stay magica since my gear fits that, i dont have any other good gear nor the playtime/resources/recipes to craft stamina gear.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Theres no heavy armor but lots of self healing. I use this build on one of my Templars. https://alcasthq.com/eso-solo-magicka-templar-build-pve/

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Ineptitude posted:

Last i played was before Elsweyr and i played a magica based templar, with 5 pieces of Julianos and 5 pieces of Spell Strategist.

My favorite MMO playstyle is playing tanky/healy classes that can fight for a long time due to self healing (passive and active) as well as maybe wearing lots of armor.

Is there still a go-to build for magica templars that fit this description? Most of my skills and hotbars have been reset, i assume there has been lots of changes.

I’d prefer to stay magica since my gear fits that, i dont have any other good gear nor the playtime/resources/recipes to craft stamina gear.

Replace Spell Strat with Mother's Sorrow, and you can do anything in the game short of score pushing and HM DLC trials. I have more or less stopped playing regularly, but you'll have great damage and thus great self heals on a magplar with that setup. Iceheart, Zaan, whatever the set from Vaults of Madness is called..yeah, you'll be fine.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Hello ESO people!

Here's my situation - I'm in a bit of a gaming rut. I'm in the mid-patch lull in FFXIV. No other games are really holding my interest. I'm reminded of when I used to play WoW circa 2007-2010 and whenever I'd get bored, I'd just go play a new WoW-wannabe game for a week. Now I'm not saying that ESO is a WoW-wannabe game, because it's not. But the heart of what I'm getting at is that I think it's time for me to dabble in another MMO so I can just feel something again.

I skimmed the OP but I might have missed something, so sorry if my questions have been covered there -

- I saw there are four "classes." These are picked at character start, I assume? You can't swap classes? I'm leaning toward tank. For my MMO past - I originally only played a healer (priest, and then paladin) when I played and raided in WoW from 2005-2010. I started playing FFXIV in 2013 and played a healer (white mage and then astrologian) up until about 2017 when I switched to tank (Dark Knight) and haven't looked back since.

- Within the four classes, how much variance is there within each class? Can you do everything as every class (though certain are better than others)?

- What is the split between PVP and PvE focus? I don't really give a gently caress about PvP. I never cared too much for PvP and WoW and barely ever touched PvP in FFXIV (because MMO pvp is generally bad).

- How solo-friendly is this? I don't mind grouping for dungeons or anything like that, but just in my general leveling/questing gameplay, how is solo-friendly is it?

- Speaking of dungeons - how are they? Are there a lot of them? I am a big fan of dungeons.

- What does PvE endgame looklike?

- Is the endgame vertical or horizontal progression?

- Core of gameplay question - Basically, if I wanted to be able to group with Goons, do fun PvE dungeons as a perfect version of a tank, and enjoy solo activities as well, which race/class/build/whatever should I go with?

- Cost wise - there's the premium sub, which seems cool and good and all, but what's the initial up front costs? Is there one package that contains all the expansions? A base game and expansions are piecemeal?

- Final question - how much of a beautiful pretty princess can I make?

Thank you, lovelies.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Mordiceius posted:

- Final question - how much of a beautiful pretty princess can I make?

There's some fantastic cosmetic stuff available. Some of it you get for dropping into certain group dungeons or other locations for the first time, some of it's for completing achievements, etc, other stuff can be found in the world (there's probably like thirty different racial styles for gear, some of which is rare drops/timed event only, and then there's the crown store, which has a bunch of even more exotic crafting motifs.

As for the character creator itself, it's not bad, but don't expect Black Desert Online levels of customisation.

I mean, I specifically aimed for cute little Celtic redhead when I made my Breton Necromancer,

but I also planned on her getting turned into a vampire when I created her, and this is what happened after I discovered the sneak attack feed and gorged on several dudes. I still think she's lovely but I was a tradgoth in my youth so...

quote:

- How solo-friendly is this?
Very. I've almost exclusively soloed one character to ~level 30, my necromancer to ~25, and my dunmer werewolf nightblade to ~20 with only the occasional assist from others, usually in public dungeons or the big world events like the oblivion gates world anchors.

quote:

- Speaking of dungeons - how are they? Are there a lot of them? I am a big fan of dungeons.

Oh you're in for a treat then. There's a bunch. From solo dungeons to public ones to ones that are intended for you to tackle them as a four player group, and you can fast travel to them for a pittance from anywhere, but here's a hint. Don't do that, go to a wayshrine and use it, then the fast travel is free, but you can fast travel to any wayshrine you've been to before just by going to the map)

I've only been playing for two months (and only a few days a month because of real life) so I can't really answer your question about class variance and stuff as well as some of these guys can. But

quote:

These are picked at character start, I assume? You can't swap classes?

Yeah they're picked at creation, and you can't swap, but there's a built in levelling advisor that has a few preset variant skill progressions that cover the basics of what you're looking for wrt sub-roles.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mordiceius posted:

- I saw there are four "classes." These are picked at character start, I assume? You can't swap classes? I'm leaning toward tank. For my MMO past - I originally only played a healer (priest, and then paladin) when I played and raided in WoW from 2005-2010. I started playing FFXIV in 2013 and played a healer (white mage and then astrologian) up until about 2017 when I switched to tank (Dark Knight) and haven't looked back since.

- Within the four classes, how much variance is there within each class? Can you do everything as every class (though certain are better than others)?
There are 6 classes, 4 base + 2 more you can buy or which may be included based on what you buy. You cannot switch classes. You can make 8 characters (up to 18 if you buy more slots), so you can easily make one or more characters of each class. Classes have different skill lines, but there are a lot of useful non-class skills and every class can play every role. Some may be a bit better or easier than others, but unless you're doing top level endgame content you can make whatever class/race combo do whichever role you want.

quote:

- What is the split between PVP and PvE focus? I don't really give a gently caress about PvP. I never cared too much for PvP and WoW and barely ever touched PvP in FFXIV (because MMO pvp is generally bad).
You don't need to touch PvP at all. There are a few useful skills that you need to PvP for, but you can ignore them, or do just a little bit in order to access them. There's one PvP zone, one PvPvE zone and battlegrounds which are 4v4v4 short (15 min max) arenas. They're all separate things, and each is pretty separate from the rest of the game.

quote:

- How solo-friendly is this? I don't mind grouping for dungeons or anything like that, but just in my general leveling/questing gameplay, how is solo-friendly is it?
Very. Except for some dungeons and explicit group content you can solo everything. Top level players can solo a lot of the dungeons that are meant for groups, even.

quote:

- Is the endgame vertical or horizontal progression?
Mostly horizontal. Level scaling actually makes the entire game mostly horizontal. Pre level 50 you get skill points and attribute points on a per character basis, which mostly guides where you want the character to focus. Post level 50 is account wide progression with extra special points that lower ability costs or raise power, but don't fundamentally alter what you can do. Gear stops leveling pretty early in this system, so once you get to that level you can wear max gear. There's a new system now that lets you reconstruct gear you've found at lower levels at max level.

quote:

- Cost wise - there's the premium sub, which seems cool and good and all, but what's the initial up front costs? Is there one package that contains all the expansions? A base game and expansions are piecemeal?
Content is: Base Game, Chapters, DLC zones, Dungeons.
Base game includes a lot of zones, and a bunch of dungeons.
When you buy the base game you get the base plus maybe some chapters depending on what you buy.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/306130/The_Elder_Scrolls_Online/
Standard edition is base plus morrowind (I think this includes one other class, Warden)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1205430/The_Elder_Scrolls_Online__Greymoor/
The Elder Scrolls Online - Greymoor gets you base plus all the chapters (Greymoor, Elsweyr, Summerset and Morrowind) This should include both extra classes (Warden and Necromancer). The collector's edition just adds cosmetic stuff.

Chapters are basically zones with more content than DLC zones plus something extra (the a class each for Morrowind and Elswyr, a skill line each for Summerset and Greymoor)

DLC Zones and extra Dungeons are all bought piecemeal and not included with any base game version. They're bought with the ingame currency crowns. They're quite expensive though you can trade gold for them in game (other players are buying them with cash for your gold). You can buy the chapters and the missing class piecemeal too if you don't buy them when you buy the base game.

If you sub you get access to all of the above except the latest chapter, sub comes with crowns, a little more than needed for one dungeon, a little less than needed for one zone, the non-current chapters cost the same as two dungeons.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Content is: Base Game, Chapters, DLC zones, Dungeons.
Base game includes a lot of zones, and a bunch of dungeons.
When you buy the base game you get the base plus maybe some chapters depending on what you buy.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/306130/The_Elder_Scrolls_Online/
Standard edition is base plus morrowind (I think this includes one other class, Warden)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1205430/The_Elder_Scrolls_Online__Greymoor/
The Elder Scrolls Online - Greymoor gets you base plus all the chapters (Greymoor, Elsweyr, Summerset and Morrowind) This should include both extra classes (Warden and Necromancer). The collector's edition just adds cosmetic stuff.

Chapters are basically zones with more content than DLC zones plus something extra (the a class each for Morrowind and Elswyr, a skill line each for Summerset and Greymoor)

DLC Zones and extra Dungeons are all bought piecemeal and not included with any base game version. They're bought with the ingame currency crowns. They're quite expensive though you can trade gold for them in game (other players are buying them with cash for your gold). You can buy the chapters and the missing class piecemeal too if you don't buy them when you buy the base game.

If you sub you get access to all of the above except the latest chapter, sub comes with crowns, a little more than needed for one dungeon, a little less than needed for one zone, the non-current chapters cost the same as two dungeons.

So... if I read this correct, the best value currently would be to buy "The Elder Scrolls Online - Greymoor" for $20 and I would have basically all the content in the game (currently) that I could play endlessly? And then if I like it I could add a sub eventually?

EDIT:

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

There are 6 classes, 4 base + 2 more you can buy or which may be included based on what you buy. You cannot switch classes. You can make 8 characters (up to 18 if you buy more slots), so you can easily make one or more characters of each class. Classes have different skill lines, but there are a lot of useful non-class skills and every class can play every role. Some may be a bit better or easier than others, but unless you're doing top level endgame content you can make whatever class/race combo do whichever role you want.

I just looked up the 6 classes on the wiki and it seems necromancer is also a tank class?! That's.... completely unexpected and I was worried I was stuck with Dragonknight to tank. Guess I'm looking at a Necromancer if I do pick up the game. It seems like the Goon guild is EP so I'd go Nord/Dark Elf/Argonian Necro then.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 30, 2020

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
Wardens, Templars, and even Nightblades are very viable tank classes, but DK is still the best. I'd recommend any of these 4 over a necromancer tank. You can tank on any class, and heal or DPS on any of the 6 as well, to varying degrees of effectiveness. Personally if you want a true jack of all trades class, pick Templar tbh.

edit: We are a Telvanni ERP guild, first and foremost, good sir or madame

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

DoriDori240 posted:

Wardens, Templars, and even Nightblades are very viable tank classes, but DK is still the best. I'd recommend any of these 4 over a necromancer tank. You can tank on any class, and heal or DPS on any of the 6 as well, to varying degrees of effectiveness. Personally if you want a true jack of all trades class, pick Templar tbh.

Oh, I was just basing things off this -

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mordiceius posted:

So... if I read this correct, the best value currently would be to buy "The Elder Scrolls Online - Greymoor" for $20
Yes

quote:

and I would have basically all the content in the game (currently)
Not quite.

quote:

that I could play endlessly?
yes

quote:

And then if I like it I could add a sub eventually?
Yes.

If you buy the $20 Greymoor you get base plus the 4 chapters, plus the two extra classes.
This is 22 PvE zones +1 PvP zone, +1 PvPvE zone, plus the 4 zones from the chapters.

You would still be missing 7 DLC crown store only zones. I have all these without having subbed by having bought them with gold from people.

There are similarly a few more dungeons that again are crown store only but the vast majority are main game accessible.

So no it doesn't get you *everything* but I'd say it gets you more than enough. If you decide you want access to the rest you can either sub or buy them with money or with in game gold depending on what you prefer. That $20 edition is more than enough for months of playing and if you decide to stick with the game you'll know what your preferred method of accessing the rest of the content is at that point.

Sub gets you the following:
1650 crowns
Access to DLC you haven't bought.
A craftbag that makes inventory management easier for crafting mats.
Double bank inventory that isn't really necessary at all.
Increased cap on what you can put in houses, and some other nice to have I guess but totally forgettable stuff.

You don't need the sub to play anything you've bought. I've never subbed and never will. They do have free trials every 4-6 months for a few days so I've seen what the sub is like. DLC access and the craftbag are the main reasons people sub. The craftbag is nice, inventory management can be quite a pain, ironically more at the beginning than later. It's workable if you prioritize upgrading your personal and bank inventory and either ignore a bunch of mats, sell them, or make alts solely for the purpose. You can also make a personal guild bank for an hour of your time when there's a free trial of the game by making 9 accounts and having them join a guild you make. This has helped me a lot. Now that all my characters are at max gear level inventory management is surprisingly easy even without a sub. If you value time over money the sub is probably worth it, otherwise it isn't really. If you don't sub I strongly recommend upgrading your inventories as soon as you can as often as you can. You can also upgrade inventory with horse training, it's long term though, only once a day but it adds up.

Mordiceius posted:

Oh, I was just basing things off this -

You can totally sorc tank as well, though it is the least convenient option.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 30, 2020

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

DoriDori240 posted:

Just chiming in that Sorcerors can make surprisingly good tanks. I've seen a handful of them in action, apparently sustain is :kiss: with them.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I'd say the table is fairly accurate, except for the tanking column. The DK is a fair bit better than necro at it.

e: well necro is decent for PVP tanking maybe

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 30, 2020

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.
That Magblade is listed where it is... What are they basing this on? PvE? Trials?

Error 404 posted:

Just chiming in that Sorcerors can make surprisingly good tanks. I've seen a handful of them in action, apparently sustain is :kiss: with them.

Between my Sorc, Necro and Warden tanks (yes, I have a problem), the Sorc is the easier to play mostly AFK because of the Dark Deal + Clanfear cycle of endless stam and healing.
Sorc is now Bosmer so it is adorable to have an itty bitty lil sword and board asskicker zipping around in dungeons.

It is Necro I have the most fun with, and easiest time with pug queue groups that benfit from the synergies and whatever.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

If i have played on EU so far, will i have to start completely from scratch if i swap to US?
Will i at least get my champion points carried over, since they are account wide?

DoriDori240 posted:

Replace Spell Strat with Mother's Sorrow,

Ok! Looks like i can buy that from the market so that will be an easy gearing.

Why is Mothers Sorrow better than Spell Strat though?
I am unable to parse why a bunch of spellcrit is better than a bunch of spelldamage

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ineptitude posted:

If i have played on EU so far, will i have to start completely from scratch if i swap to US?
Will i at least get my champion points carried over, since they are account wide?
Nothing in game carries over, not even DLC bought with crowns. The ESO+ sub carries over and chapters bought with cash (not crowns).

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

I am unable to parse why a bunch of spellcrit is better than a bunch of spelldamage

Spell Strat only applies the spell damage to your current target. Mother's Sorrow applies the bonus spell critical across all damage across the board.

Plus crit is just better

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anyone else had a recent patch mess with Windows UI scaling on exit?

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Ineptitude posted:

As our MIA guild dad already pointed out, SS is great single target, Mother's Sorrow is great for literally all of your abilities. Crit modifiers are the most potent offensive stat for damage. Considering inferno staves for MS are still over 100K in any trait, and well over 200K in precise, which is the trait you want front bar, you would be better to craft 2 Julianos staves (as you can craft them in the preferred trait, gold them out and still be under 100K mats all in for the pair) and then get blue MS jewelry and maybe spend on a pair of divine body pieces. Fill the rest of your armor with Juli pieces. One side note, if you are at least CP 160, any of you goons who say you have no gold in the game, spend a few hours per week running around the outer borders of Deshaan farming chests (and mats) and you will have more gold than you can spend. With the new collections system for gear (which is a rare home run, if very overdue, for this Dev) even trash weapons or gear traits are worth something as people try to fill up their collections.

One other option is to farm Medusa out of Arx Corinium. It is on par nearly with Mother's Sorrow, but you have to transmute jewelry (as it is a heavy armor set) to arcane/bloodthirsty, and go 5/2 light on armor or strike the RNG jackpot with an inferno stave. This is more of a higher upside thing as it frees up an ability slot due to giving you constant minor force.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

My understanding on the importance of Crit over regular damage, is getting a massive crit % chance with the proper Mundus stone and Divines gear so you are getting a critical every other hit, which is a lot more damage than just getting a little more damage on the regular hits.

Is this correct?

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

How do you get transmute crystals? I had no need for them until very recently, and it appears that I can get 10 from the first random dungeon and 3 from the Undaunted dailies? I burned thru 300 of them crafting most of my tank gear, but I need another 150ish to finish the gear. Is this one of those things that's *supposed* to take forever?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

The Diddler posted:

How do you get transmute crystals? I had no need for them until very recently, and it appears that I can get 10 from the first random dungeon and 3 from the Undaunted dailies? I burned thru 300 of them crafting most of my tank gear, but I need another 150ish to finish the gear. Is this one of those things that's *supposed* to take forever?

Pretty sure the answer is yes. You also get 1 from each random dungeon after the first (which as noted, gets you 10). I believe you also get them from running Vet Maelstrom and Vateshan, although I can't confirm that myself. You also can get a big thandful (I think 50?) them from the monthly payout for Cyrodil participation, but I don't remember the exact conditions for that.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Battlegrounds gets you quite a few if you're willing to do them.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Doctor Zero posted:

My understanding on the importance of Crit over regular damage, is getting a massive crit % chance with the proper Mundus stone and Divines gear so you are getting a critical every other hit, which is a lot more damage than just getting a little more damage on the regular hits.

Is this correct?

More or less. Julianos and Mother's Sorrow together should get you above 50% crit chance on any class, and that is before class and skill based modifiers (and potions on top of that). In full divines (which you should be in) it is usually best to run the shadow mundus because the thief (crit chance) has diminishing returns vs the extra crit damage from Shadow.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The Diddler posted:

Higher difficulty Undaunted pledges give more
Random dungeons give a select amount
PvP Rewards for the Worthy have a chance to include transmutation stones; You get a guaranteed cache from the first reward mail of the day per account (this used to be per character but people like myself abused it by opening 1 reward mail per character until we were flooded in stones)
Getting to Tier 1 rewards in the 30 day campaigns gives you a guaranteed 50 stone geode; the 7 day gives 10 stones; these are character-based

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

You also get loads of transmute crystals from prize boxes from certain events, especially the anniversary one... I'm super lazy about doing real content in the game but always loved goofing off with the events and I got shitloads of crystals that way.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

DoriDori240 posted:

One other option is to farm Medusa out of Arx Corinium. It is on par nearly with Mother's Sorrow, but you have to transmute jewelry (as it is a heavy armor set) to arcane/bloodthirsty, and go 5/2 light on armor or strike the RNG jackpot with an inferno stave. This is more of a higher upside thing as it frees up an ability slot due to giving you constant minor force.

Please don't encourage Xynode builds, TIA

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Scyantific posted:

:magemage:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Scyantific posted:

counterpoint: the Xynode Yogi build is actually fun af and is much more fun than the more meta alcast version of a dual bar bear Bowden. none of his other builds I've seen have struck my fancy.

if anyone has suggestions of similarly unique build ideas, I was going to roll a new character when I take a couple of weeks off at the end of the month and am looking for something cool.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there any way to make healing fun and less buff bot with resto staff? I like playing support roles but ESO really has lovely visuals or feedback to tell if you're doing anything as a healer other than keeping health bars up and it really doesn't work for me. I'm not even sure I can articulate what I would like, it just feels that healing is either easy or impossible, with no middle ground, and that divide is broken up by how well the other players deal with mechanics and not your actual performance. Combine that with the fact that it seems like your only options for shaking up the playstyle is to either fully embrace the buff bot life or ride as close to being just a normal mag DPS as possible with heals slotted in place of less critical DPS skills, and honestly at that point why not just play a mag DPS?

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

nessin posted:

Is there any way to make healing fun and less buff bot with resto staff? I like playing support roles but ESO really has lovely visuals or feedback to tell if you're doing anything as a healer other than keeping health bars up and it really doesn't work for me. I'm not even sure I can articulate what I would like, it just feels that healing is either easy or impossible, with no middle ground, and that divide is broken up by how well the other players deal with mechanics and not your actual performance. Combine that with the fact that it seems like your only options for shaking up the playstyle is to either fully embrace the buff bot life or ride as close to being just a normal mag DPS as possible with heals slotted in place of less critical DPS skills, and honestly at that point why not just play a mag DPS?

Bar none, outside of trials, my most enjoyable healer experience was as a hybrid damage dealer/healer (say 60/40 split favoring healing/buff management). This worked great on templar and nightblade, never tried anything else, never cared to. In most cases 4 man content with a good group just does not need a healer, which means you get stuck with middle of the road groups of people you know, or lovely pug groups. In either of those options, having extra damage helps. Getting a good buff tracker also will help, as probably the number one mistake healers in this game make is over-healing a group, at the expense of buffing and resource management. My dungeon healer was pretty aggressive (you can ask that pouty pout @scyantific for verification), but I would be happy to share skill bars and sets if you want.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

DoriDori240 posted:

Bar none, outside of trials, my most enjoyable healer experience was as a hybrid damage dealer/healer (say 60/40 split favoring healing/buff management). This worked great on templar and nightblade, never tried anything else, never cared to. In most cases 4 man content with a good group just does not need a healer, which means you get stuck with middle of the road groups of people you know, or lovely pug groups. In either of those options, having extra damage helps. Getting a good buff tracker also will help, as probably the number one mistake healers in this game make is over-healing a group, at the expense of buffing and resource management. My dungeon healer was pretty aggressive (you can ask that pouty pout @scyantific for verification), but I would be happy to share skill bars and sets if you want.

My problem with that is that there isn't anything really unique to that, as compared to just being a magic DPS character. If I'm basically duplicating a DPS setup with a few heals or taking a couple different morphs more group buff oriented than I otherwise would, I'd rather just be playing a straight DPS character. It's not that I'm against doing my best to support a group by adding to the damage either, it's just that ESO doesn't offer anything unique to do that. You're just using more DPS focused skills that any DPS would use in place of healing skills. It may seem weird but if my option is to basically be 60% of a DPS character to make healing more interesting, my preferred solution to the problem is to just give up healing and only DPS/Tank. I'm looking at how to make healing interest and still feel like I'm doing something different than just running through a rotation, only one that occasionally drops an AOE effect or two on friendlies instead of enemies.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

nessin posted:

My problem with that is that there isn't anything really unique to that, as compared to just being a magic DPS character. If I'm basically duplicating a DPS setup with a few heals or taking a couple different morphs more group buff oriented than I otherwise would, I'd rather just be playing a straight DPS character. It's not that I'm against doing my best to support a group by adding to the damage either, it's just that ESO doesn't offer anything unique to do that. You're just using more DPS focused skills that any DPS would use in place of healing skills. It may seem weird but if my option is to basically be 60% of a DPS character to make healing more interesting, my preferred solution to the problem is to just give up healing and only DPS/Tank. I'm looking at how to make healing interest and still feel like I'm doing something different than just running through a rotation, only one that occasionally drops an AOE effect or two on friendlies instead of enemies.

Somebody in one of my pledges groups yesterday was talking about a healing build where you actually ATTACK your teammates to heal them. Some gear I think that changes it so your attack no longer do damage to enemies but instead heal your teammates. I don't have any other info because I was only somewhat paying attention to the discussion but I am sure you can find info on it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Theres a psijic skill that does that (your attacks heal peeps so you attack them instead of baddies). But thats all I know off the top of my head.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
This is going to sound like an absolutely stupid question, and I don't know how best to put this, and I fully admit it's a stupid question, but what sort of build would be the most "Lina Inverse"? Sorc of some kind, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

This is going to sound like an absolutely stupid question, and I don't know how best to put this, and I fully admit it's a stupid question, but what sort of build would be the most "Lina Inverse"? Sorc of some kind, I guess?

Wikipedia says "Lina Inverse is a young yet very powerful sorceress travelling the world in search of adventure and treasure" so a sorc build, yes. I dunno what her powers are, but you can compare them to this: https://eso-skillbook.com/skilltree/sorcerer and see if you can copy the skills. Staff skills would be fire, lightning, ice, or healing.