Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

NikkolasKing posted:

Like, as I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate LOTR more. But I still retain my youthful love for just how much more action-packed The Sil is.

That was what drew me to it at first. I was big into nerd fights at the time, what fictional character could beat which other fictional character? And you learn very quickly even the mighty Witch-King is a chump compared to the powers in the First and Second Age. Fingolfin vs. Morgoth? Eat your heart out Gandalf vs. Balrog.

So I can see calling The Sil kid friendly. Big booms and fights galore.

Feanor vs all the Balrogs is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Shibawanko posted:

because is one of the longest common words in english, "for" is far more efficient and sounds cooler

I love how economical Tolkien's prose can be, even if he's famous for the opposite.
(I don't know what the proper grammatical term is, but the "-t" words have a very nice heft to them. Wrought, dwelt, sought, smote.)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

I love how economical Tolkien's prose can be, even if he's famous for the opposite.
(I don't know what the proper grammatical term is, but the "-t" words have a very nice heft to them. Wrought, dwelt, sought, smote.)

my favorite is "hewn", as in what happened to hama at the gate. he was hewn

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Shibawanko posted:

my favorite is "hewn", as in what happened to hama at the gate. he was hewn
As Treebeard will tell you, one does not typically recover from a state described as "hewn"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or notably how in the Book of Lost Tales era he was obsessed with using "fare" instead of "go"

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Nessus posted:

As Treebeard will tell you, one does not typically recover from a state described as "hewn"

yeah i picture an axe sticking upright out of someone

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

's nervous system

Anyway it took me way too long as a kid to realize that "asunder" was "a-sunder" and not "as-under"

Made total sense once that finally occurred to me

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tree Bucket posted:

I've been noticing a lot of idiots using "coronated" recently.

No. It's "crowned". What happens at your coronation is that you get crowned. You fuckwits.

Not a Tolkien bitch as such, I admit, just a bitch at people who haven't paid attention to the long-term results of the collision between Anglo-Saxon and Norman French.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
As much as I love Lotr I still think the Hobbit is the most brilliant thing Tolkien ever wrote. The constant asides by Tolkien/the narrator to explain things is almost Shakespearian. And they're all pretty funny.

You can well imagine Tolkien reading that out loud to his kids.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ginette Reno posted:

As much as I love Lotr I still think the Hobbit is the most brilliant thing Tolkien ever wrote. The constant asides by Tolkien/the narrator to explain things is almost Shakespearian. And they're all pretty funny.

You can well imagine Tolkien reading that out loud to his kids.

Smith of Wootton Major is my pick for Tolkien's best work. It's all there, everything else he did, in a tight microcosm, and commenting on itself in the process.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tree Bucket posted:

Fingolfin's kamikaze duel with Morgoth is incredible and it's a page and a half, max.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fingolfin's kamikaze duel with Morgoth is incredible and it's a page and a half, max.

There's a reason it's #1 in the list of Tolkien's most metal deaths. :black101:

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

NikkolasKing posted:

Like, as I've gotten older, I've come to appreciate LOTR more. But I still retain my youthful love for just how much more action-packed The Sil is.

That was what drew me to it at first. I was big into nerd fights at the time, what fictional character could beat which other fictional character? And you learn very quickly even the mighty Witch-King is a chump compared to the powers in the First and Second Age. Fingolfin vs. Morgoth? Eat your heart out Gandalf vs. Balrog.

And incest!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPBP-3-_Beg

Someone did a side by side of all the different versions of Fellowship to show off the colour grading and image quality. The 4K restoration deleted the green filter and it looks amazing.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i dont care personally for descriptions of battles as long as i learn who, in the end, was hewn

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or cloven in twain

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Data Graham posted:

Or cloven in twain

That was his horn :colbert:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Arcsquad12 posted:

That was his horn :colbert:

Better horn fate is to burst asunder from blast blown

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Tree Bucket posted:

Years ago, my little sister read about two paragraphs of the Sil and asked "why does he keep saying 'for' instead of 'because'"

I hope you replied "for". :colbert:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Western opinion of kid friendly is 'no swears or sex.' Violence galore is fine and dandy.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Better horn fate is to burst asunder from blast blown

Theoden blowing on that horn so hard that it burst asunder is so badass.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Ginette Reno posted:

I know it is coming each time I do a readthru, but I get goosebumps each time they finally show up at Pelennor Fields.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Or cloven in twain

hewn asunder

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hasselblad posted:

I know it is coming each time I do a readthru, but I get goosebumps each time they finally show up at Pelennor Fields.

Same, and especially when I recently listened to the audiobook for the first time.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Reading Tolkien in the original has definitely opened up a register of English to me (a non-native speaker) that I hadn't been exposed to at all previously and I believe that my knowledge and understanding of the language have been strongly enriched by it.

("Hewn asunder" and "cloven in twain" are really good, but I'll always have a soft spot for "dwelt")

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

System Metternich posted:

Reading Tolkien in the original has definitely opened up a register of English to me (a non-native speaker) that I hadn't been exposed to at all previously and I believe that my knowledge and understanding of the language have been strongly enriched by it.

("Hewn asunder" and "cloven in twain" are really good, but I'll always have a soft spot for "dwelt")

It helped me a lot when I moved to Sweden and started trying to learn Swedish, funnily enough. A lot of Tolkien's archaic English grammar and vocabulary derives from a time when English was much closer structurally to the other Germanic languages. So while a lot of my fellow American expats were struggling with Swedish sentence structure, I was like "oh, you just talk like Theoden, no problem, got it."

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Gats Akimbo posted:

I've been noticing a lot of idiots using "coronated" recently.

No. It's "crowned". What happens at your coronation is that you get crowned. You fuckwits.

Not a Tolkien bitch as such, I admit, just a bitch at people who haven't paid attention to the long-term results of the collision between Anglo-Saxon and Norman French.

Oh, I know. There's something so ugly and careless about it. A journalist should know better!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe they're using coronated because it sounds more regal than "at hospital, got corona'd, choke mote later."

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Ginette Reno posted:

I believe the term you're looking for is "metal". At least respect the Professor enough to spell it "bad-rear end", if you must.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I feel like, if you've been Hewn, then you have ribs sticking out. It's a weirdly powerful word, that one.

(I have kind of a soft spot for the awful, awful dialog Tolkien wrote for the humans that get booted out during the Scouring. "Fi! Faugh, you lollygags! That for your message, you old stick-in-the-eyes! Applesauce to you, dundermuffin!")

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tree Bucket posted:

I feel like, if you've been Hewn, then you have ribs sticking out. It's a weirdly powerful word, that one.

(I have kind of a soft spot for the awful, awful dialog Tolkien wrote for the humans that get booted out during the Scouring. "Fi! Faugh, you lollygags! That for your message, you old stick-in-the-eyes! Applesauce to you, dundermuffin!")

There's no way anyone ever said "applesauce to you" unironically. Not even 400 years ago.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Did someone say hewn?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Imagine a doctor popping out of a hospital door and affixing a concerned expression upon his face as he approaches a huddled group of worried family members waiting in a fluorescent-lit corridor:

"I'm sorry, but he's been hewn. He's been hewn pretty badly."

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 10, 2020

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Frazzbo posted:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Imagine a doctor popping out of a hospital door and affixing a concerned expression upon his face as he approaches a huddled group of worried family members waiting in a fluorescent-lit corridor:

"I'm sorry, but he's been hewn. He's been hewn pretty badly."

"We boiled all the leaves we could, but it was no use. I'm afraid he was rent, pierced and suffered many hurts."

Frazzbo posted:

...damnit.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
An ER drama, cold-opens with the frantic prepping of the doctors and nurses. "What's the status on the patient?"

"He's been hewn."

"my god"

nabo
Oct 23, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Did someone say hewn?

dang, that dude got hewn in twain

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

nabo posted:

dang, that dude got hewn in twain

He was right cloven.

Hewn is definitely when Rob Roy cleaves through the duder's shoulder.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

if you get hewn in a movie you have to do the wilhelm scream imo or it doesnt count as being hewn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

At housed of healing, hewed fingat, post mote later