Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

The Question IRL posted:

And don't get me started on Amazon Prime Video. The UK version of Prime Video was much worse than the US version. But the Irish version was even worse.
About 5 years ago I did a months free trial of Prime Video because I wanted to watch American Gods and Bosch.
At the time the UK version didn't have American Gods and even though they had Bosch on the banner for Prime Video it wasn't available in Ireland.

I feel like there was a year or two where Netflix and to a lesser extent Amazon Prime Video were pretty OK and worth the money (especially if you had a Prime subscription anyway). Then other players caught up, the licensing deals dried up and now you have one or two flagship shows you might actually want to see split across eight different platforms and endless crap that isn't worth your time or money.

Meanwhile The Piratebay has stayed rock solid in its comprehensive media offerings and unbeatable subscription price. (This is the cue for some Usenet-in-2020 greybeard to extoll its pedigree and advantages).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

(This is the cue for some Usenet-in-2020 greybeard to extoll its pedigree and advantages).

Hi

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/mimmymum/status/1336591744482369536?s=19

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Piratebay is poo poo now, it's full of malware. RARBG.to is the place to go for all your free torrented content.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I can't say that my friend in another country who uses TBP has had any problems like that, but I'm sure they'll be pleased to hear about the alternative. :tipshat:

e:
Haha, somehow I just knew it would be you!

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
People with a history of severe allergies (ie if you carry an epipen) have been told not to have the Pfizer jab after 2 reactions yesterday.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Surely given the amount of harm that pregnancy and childbirth can do to someone's body, especially a teenager's, any parent that doesn't consent should be guilty of child abuse?

Like how do you end up at the opposite end of the argument to that (other than the obvious answer of 'being a poo poo person')?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When has the welfare of the people affected ever been on the minds of people who hold her position?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
That profile picture is her i demand to speak to the manager face

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
These people are scum and should be heckled and have dogshit thrown at them at every opportunity

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

At least they apologized for the Troubles.

That's true. And it's more than any UK Government will do.

(Pissed off that members of the DUP went into the House last week to explain that Pat Finnucan getting killed was fine and doesn't deserve an independent inquiry because "he was the IRA's solicitor of choice.")

I feel like there was a year or two where Netflix and to a lesser extent Amazon Prime Video were pretty OK and worth the money (especially if you had a Prime subscription anyway). Then other players caught up, the licensing deals dried up and now you have one or two flagship shows you might actually want to see split across eight different platforms and endless crap that isn't worth your time or money.

I had Prime Video for free last year as part of my internet package. It had tons of good stuff and had definitely improved a lot from when I last used it. I let the subscription run out but I'd absolutely get it again after some new stuff came on. (Or I could talk my wife into watching some of the shows I want to watch. Like Bosh, Hunters Nazi Symbol or the Man in the High Castle.)
Currently I have six months of Now TV since it was on discount. I wouldn't pay for it at full whack but at half price it was worth dipping into it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Lungboy posted:

People with a history of severe allergies (ie if you carry an epipen) have been told not to have the Pfizer jab after 2 reactions yesterday.

Ah, exciting.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I think the NIP should be campaigning on the back of holding a referendum on whether the northern counties wish to join up with independent Scotland, but - and this is crucial - as an entity in their own right rather than as a part of Scotland. Imagine the amount of piss that would boil in the Home Counties if they were sat alone in Little England having lost the name of the country to the United Kingdom of Scotland and Northern England.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

When has the welfare of the people affected ever been on the minds of people who hold her position?
The logical position is that everyone capable of becoming pregnant should be offered an IUD free of charge at the earliest sensible opportunity, like 16-21. Colorado had a program that did exactly that and prevented at least 100,000 abortions.

That the supposed anti-abortion crew also usually oppose programs like that is all the proof you need that

kingturnip posted:

These people are scum and should be heckled and have dogshit thrown at them at every opportunity

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Haha, somehow I just knew it would be you!

I choose to read this as a compliment.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That would require SCOTNE to be a kingdom.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

I think the NIP should be campaigning on the back of holding a referendum on whether the northern counties wish to join up with independent Scotland, but - and this is crucial - as an entity in their own right rather than as a part of Scotland. Imagine the amount of piss that would boil in the Home Counties if they were sat alone in Little England having lost the name of the country to the United Kingdom of Scotland and Northern England.

That alliance would be over quicker than the average Vegas wedding.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I choose to read this as a compliment.

25 minutes, a raspberry pi and questionable morals and you can set a completely automated and self-secured usenet container stack with plex running. All the old guys get lazy and look to make life easier and it benefits everybody.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Have to say I'm surprised you're not in the IRC channel ;)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

crispix posted:

That profile picture is her i demand to speak to the manager face

Seriously, how do you look at a picture of yourself making that face and decide "Yes, this is how I would like all my readers to see me."

But yeah, it's incredibly transparent how these attacks on trans people are used as a wedge issue to setup further attacks on reproductive rights and more.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Come to the IRC channel where old cyber-amish man crispix still enjoys living in 1997 :slick:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

crispix posted:

Come to the IRC channel where old cyber-amish man crispix still enjoys living in 1997 :slick:

I dropped in a few days ago when my cat walked on the keyboard and opened two copies of IRC and I wasn't fast enough closing them before they connected. It was good, we should do it again

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I've demanded to speak to the manager once, because the middle-aged woman at the till wouldn't take my EU (not-UK) passport as proof of age.

The manager didn't give a gently caress and told me to leave.

I was pretty pissed at the time tbf, I had to walk like a mile to get to the shop from the student halls.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Maugrim posted:

I dropped in a few days ago when my cat walked on the keyboard and opened two copies of IRC and I wasn't fast enough closing them before they connected. It was good, we should do it again

You are very rude :(

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Have to say I'm surprised you're not in the IRC channel ;)

I have some unpleasant history with IRC. I very occasionally pop into the Discord when I'm sulking about some perceived slight here.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

I remember arguing with remainers who insisted that 2nd ref wasn't a remain position lol it was neutral

I am sure no one wants to go over this for the 10, 000th time, but I don’t think it is going to help anyone to misremember the recent past in that way.

The specific policy of going into the election promising a referendum on Brexit was forced through conference by Momemtum by a narrow margin, with opposition from every other party faction. The previous policy, which was too complex to pithily summarise, was dropped by Corbyn, at the suggestion of Starmer, when polling showing Labour dropping into 3rd place behind the LDs was confirmed by local and European election results. The idea that doubling down on that incoherent and wildly unpopular policy would have avoided defeat is the kind of thing you would have to really really want to believe to find plausible.

A coherent and popular Brexit policy of some form might have won in 2019; the only one that realistically existed was basically to not Brexit. Election victories and manifesto commitments trump an advisory referendum held by a disgraced former pigfucker.

If Mandelson or whoever managed to get some money out of corporate clients by selling them the obvious truth that Labour’s Brexit policy was going to lose them the election, that may well make them evil.

Just not stupid

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
mandelson is definitely evil considering how good friends he was with epstein

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Private Speech posted:

I've demanded to speak to the manager once, because the middle-aged woman at the till wouldn't take my EU (not-UK) passport as proof of age.

And you didn't demand to speak to the manager's manager?

You make a poo poo Karen.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

crispix posted:

You are very rude :(

;-*

Discord is cool and good ya big dinosaur

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

And you didn't demand to speak to the manager's manager?

You make a poo poo Karen.

Guilty as charged.

I did avoid the shop for a bit afterwards, half out of residual awkwardness though.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Just saw a car with #WWG1WGA on the bottom of the number plate. Honestly wish I'd followed them into Aldi car park and either berated them or followed them around the supermarket for a bit to gently caress with their head.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Meanwhile The Piratebay has stayed rock solid in its comprehensive media offerings and unbeatable subscription price. (This is the cue for some Usenet-in-2020 greybeard to extoll its pedigree and advantages).

Yeah I really miss the two year period where every UK and US channel shoved their entire back catalogue onto Netflix along with most films.

I'm currently on Prime, Netflix, Sky On Demand/Cinema and Disney+ and still find a lot of the stuff I actually want to watch isn't available without paying extra.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

4OD or whatever they call it these days has a surprisingly good collection. Like all 15 seasons of ER so that's me sorted for the next year or so.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

We really need a new media format, we're still on discs when barely anything has an optical drive anymore. Just put everything on a Switch cartridge with a USB-C connector and that's physical media sorted for another decade, you could even put them in your phone.

I appreciate that this isn't advantageous to companies never having to sell you something that you can own forever and as such isn't going to happen, but I can dream.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The current and final media format is some data downloaded from the internet.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Private Speech posted:

I did avoid the shop for a bit afterwards, half out of residual awkwardness though.
See that's always the problem, I sorta-kicked off in my nearest chippy a while back because they didn't give me my jumbo sausage, I had to drive back down to get it, and then even knowing that my chips were back home going cold they kept me waiting 5 minutes whilst they went through the till to make sure I'd actually paid for it, & didn't even throw in any hot chips or anything to make up for it - I was totally in the right, but didn't really want to go back there after so in the end I just had to move house, it was the only option

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Private Speech posted:

I was pretty pissed at the time tbf, I had to walk like a mile to get to the shop from the student halls.

I mostly ask to speak to the manager when someone has been really helpful. They are always pleasantly surprised.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55236851

:hmmyes:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Sorry, it's completely impossible
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1335171574228537344?s=20

quote:

But opposition groups fear it will discourage foreign investors, and that it will not be a one-time tax.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

imo we should just seize any money in london thats criminal gains and use it to fund the welfare state

it would also result in the whole of parliament commiting suicide by zipping their dismembered corspes into a big duffel bag so its two birds with one stone