Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kanos posted:

I find it hard give a crap about Sisters of the Thorn even with Ariel's admittedly nutty boosts to them. "High tier ranged skirmish cav with low model counts and bound spells but they're debuffs" is an incredibly narrow niche, especially since Ariel's presence in the army means you're likely to have nearly infinite winds of magic to spam spells all day and thus not need the bound spells.

Yeah I'm wondering if they serve a bit more of a place in a melee-heavy Orion army because you can cover your entire melee line with buffs/debuffs at once. Even Ariel is limited to one cast at a time. I can't imagine bringing more than one or two at most, though, and then only because if I'm doing some kind of rush-down melee army I need something that can keep up with the wild riders/stags while Ariel hangs out with the wardancers. Also, I really appreciate that riders seem like they stay relevant after stags show up as well, though I haven't played with them much (since the Sisters are so ranged heavy).

Does Orion get any extra buffs from having Ariel in his army or is his gimmick really just the pretty anemic Hunt? And lastly, while the Forge kinda sucks in implementation, the items you get from it are pretty amazing.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

why would you not want to play as the superior race :confused:

He's talking about elves, not Skaven

Foolish manthing

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Anyone have a wood elf bug where one of the trees still has a negative for "hostile heathlands" and a negative for "unresolved encounter" when there's no encounters or hostile heathlands?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Anyone have a wood elf bug where one of the trees still has a negative for "hostile heathlands" and a negative for "unresolved encounter" when there's no encounters or hostile heathlands?

For hostile encounters, yes. I think it's related to ignoring the pop-up when the notification of a new encounter appears. Ever since I started zooming to every new encounter I've had no issues with it. But I think you actually do have an encounter you never activated.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Ravenfood posted:

Does Orion get any extra buffs from having Ariel in his army or is his gimmick really just the pretty anemic Hunt? And lastly, while the Forge kinda sucks in implementation, the items you get from it are pretty amazing.

He gets the Guardian ability while in the same army as Ariel

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
It was funny that after the last battle, the Sisters got the trait for defeating Drycha.
Even though that doesn’t make sense with how the quest battle went.

I guess after Chaos was defeated and everyone was celebrating, the twins quietly made a bonfire out of Drycha?

The Sisters’ Vortex campaign was okay. Though unless you go out of your way to go look for fights, you end up just passing turns and watch the Forest number get bigger.

Kaza42 posted:

He gets the Guardian ability while in the same army as Ariel
Can Orion even get Ariel in his campaign?

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 9, 2020

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I'm seeing some strange AI deployment issues. It looks like they're not deploying correctly. I just had an AI ambush me, only put their lord anywhere near the ambush while placing their entire army in one corner. I've also seen some regular battles where the AI seems to try and place everything stacked on top of each other in one blob. It's very odd. They seem to start moving away from their terrible deployments at the start but it's usually enough to make it extremely easy to take them out.

I don't have many mods, mostly a better camera mod and one that has a bunch of extra maps. Is it these extra maps causing this? Has anyone else seen this issue before?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
everytime i run in to play this again and I have a good time dunking on the various LLs out in the field and clearing the walls of the odd siege here and there

and then my motivation to keep going disappears when I have to do a big siege, where just clearing the walls isn't enough to win and I have to instead mob-ball around the streets.

it's always on the VCs too, because grave lord garrisons are actually way beefier then most armies you run around with.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

terrorist ambulance posted:

Yeah frail but killy infantry versus much cheaper unit with good leadership, silver shield, high defence armor piercing and anti large

Shielded eternal guard are really good. Tree kins too if your only purpose is holding stuff down. I struggle to find much to do for wardancers or wildwood rangers or whatever

Same with sisters of the thorn. Why bother when you can just take shielded wild riders, which are awesome fast cav

Wardancers are a really good "bring 2-3 of this" unit and holding them in a second line to commit wherever the enemy's weight looks too heavy. They're accessible really early, aren't break-the-bank expensive, and add a lot of teeth to your holding line of choice; a unit of Eternal Guard will hold out and lose slowly against most infantry, whereas a unit of Eternal Guard backed up by a unit of Wardancers will *beat* most infantry. As a bonus, with Glade Captains, they can be made to vanguard. There's also fairly frequent events that let you recruit them at a hugely inflated rank.

Raygereio posted:

Orion and Durthu can both get Ariel, with the same requirements as the Sisters - finish the ritual on a tree outside of Athel Loren proper. The only issue is that Orion and Durthu can spend a lot of time consolidating Athel Loren instead of going for outside trees - on my winning Durthu campaign I didn't actually finish a ritual of rebirth and get Ariel until like turn 75 or something because I was so absorbed in confederating the other LLs and building up/defending Athel Loren. This also meant that my Oak of Ages hit max health with only one ritual of rebirth finished, which was pretty funny.

Drycha can't get Ariel(or any of the elf lords, for that matter), which means that if you want to play a Gotta Catch Em All campaign it has to be with Durthu.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 9, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

everytime i run in to play this again and I have a good time dunking on the various LLs out in the field and clearing the walls of the odd siege here and there

and then my motivation to keep going disappears when I have to do a big siege, where just clearing the walls isn't enough to win and I have to instead mob-ball around the streets.

it's always on the VCs too, because grave lord garrisons are actually way beefier then most armies you run around with.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1980751094&searchtext=no+siege Only have to siege capitals, mostly

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So here I am giving the game another try. Again. Even though I never seem to stick around it is worth it for a good time, however brief.

This time I am trying out the High Elves, specifically Tyrion. It is fun having armies melt before my archers, and that was before I found out that my firebird shits explosions!

I do not care if it is sub optimal let me have this

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

If you're having fun, you're playing the game right.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Picked up the game again after a year away or so. When are they going to do something about dwarves incredibly boring runepriests?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone tried reviving every big tree on the ME map yet?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Apparently I've piled on enough recruit cost bonuses that star dragons are cheaper than spearmen.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Ammanas posted:

haha someone called bolt throwers garbage? on spread fire they absolutely shred unit hp. they dont get a lot of kills but soften up the enemy health bar so your archers can delete them

if youre doing a helf ranged army you should have at least 2 in your stack

I was wondering about this and was going to have another look at them once they announced the damage-dealt stat in case they were just softening up everything without dealing kills

Elukka posted:

Apparently I've piled on enough recruit cost bonuses that star dragons are cheaper than spearmen.

just like recruiting imperial guard for <200 koku in fall of hte samurai, good times

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So reading people's game experience with legendary chaos invasions a running theme seems to be the dark elves being wiped out within a few turns of chaos showing up, to the point it's a meme

Has anyone tried very hard chaos invasions? do the dark elves still get wiped out? does kislev easily hold back a very hard invasion?
I imagine it's something that'll end up patched by the next major bug fix patch with just how consistently they get destroyed in such a short time of them showing up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I just started a very hard chaos invasion, so let me come back to you on that.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Kanos posted:

Drycha can't get Ariel(or any of the elf lords, for that matter), which means that if you want to play a Gotta Catch Em All campaign it has to be with Durthu.

I think the sisters can also get everyone. I just confederated Drycha. I didn't get a quest for her like I did for the others, though, had to do it the old fashioned way (75k gold bribe a few dozen turns after chaos showed up).

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone tried reviving every big tree on the ME map yet?

I'm getting there! I've finished all of them except for the eastern two. Just got the Gryphon Wood, but the border princes have the middle-eastern forest and they're allied to all of my allies, so I'm hoping either Queek will push up and take it or that this legendary chaos invasion will wreck everyone hard enough that I can just swoop in and grab it. Archaeon showed up right before I quit.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

what's the single unit high score? i just got 708 kills with a bright wizard against greenskins

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

what's the single unit high score? i just got 708 kills with a bright wizard against greenskins

Had a fire mage with 11k gold value dealt, then there is also someone's kroak screenshot I came across.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Raygereio posted:

It was funny that after the last battle, the Sisters got the trait for defeating Drycha.
Even though that doesn’t make sense with how the quest battle went.

I guess after Chaos was defeated and everyone was celebrating, the twins quietly made a bonfire out of Drycha?

The Sisters’ Vortex campaign was okay. Though unless you go out of your way to go look for fights, you end up just passing turns and watch the Forest number get bigger.

The game first spawns a hostile Drycha army, then removes it and spawns a friendly one in it's place. Because there was a Drycha on the losing side, the winning one gets the traits. You can see the extra army when you scroll down on the reinforcements list on the post battle screen.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Those poor lizards probably stank of dead rat for months after that bloodbath. I don't think I've hit 1000, maybe did with that crazy Vampirate siege mortar on a siege map. Most of the time I play on normal, so not many chances to go against multiple stacks.

Safety Helmet
May 7, 2007
Just finished a Throt VH/N campaign, a bit different from previous Skaven runs. He doesn't have any "conquer such and such faction" (short) campaign objectives , so I took it easy on expansion. For whole campaign I had about 7-8 provinces and 4 armies. Most action was sacking Mannfred until Orcs took over Sylvania. Then I did the same to them. Main tip to offer is to max out growth in Hell Pit. The game ran for about 110 turns, with 20 just waiting on Level 5 capital and final unique building.

Someone in the thread mentioned that ending turn in a city would give extra movement next turn. Hadn't heard this before and just wanted confirmation.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Now go back a patch, use pre-nerf burning head against skaven.

And also be high elf, so that fire mage can be on a dragon.

This will ensure maximum fire magic.

Unfortunately, you are now an elf.

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
finished a Sisters WE campaign last night and it was a lot of fun! My army comp tended towards hawk riders, waywatchers with tree kin to hold the line and either great stag cav or dragons to disrupt the enemy. Aside from a few bugs the only complaints I had are that holding Gaean Vale makes it too hard to do diplomacy with the High Elves because of their Guardian trait, and getting the procrastinator trait on armies that I left to defend my other forests is annoying since I'm supposed to be playing tall rather than wide.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I think I’m coming up on turn 100 soon in my Sisters Vortex campaign, and I haven’t found the time to leave Naggaroth to fix any other forests yet. Morathi gained quite a bit of ground early on, and it was a while before I could get a second army. By the time I could, Naggarond was putting out stacks of elite infantry even as they were losing ground on many fronts, so I needed both armies to safely keep them at bay. And once they’re done I’ll have to turn my attention to Moulder to avoid a situation like my Grom campaign where I had to hunt down Yvresse settlements in Naggaroth :sigh:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

-Hawk Riders: They're only monstrously overpowered broken garbage if you're playing Sisters, but even with the others, they're EXTREMELY strong. The new 360 degree fire makes them skirmishers par excellence and they still hit like the fist of god on the charge.

Sisters with Hawk Riders are Welf Air Queens.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

I think I’m coming up on turn 100 soon in my Sisters Vortex campaign, and I haven’t found the time to leave Naggaroth to fix any other forests yet. Morathi gained quite a bit of ground early on, and it was a while before I could get a second army. By the time I could, Naggarond was putting out stacks of elite infantry even as they were losing ground on many fronts, so I needed both armies to safely keep them at bay. And once they’re done I’ll have to turn my attention to Moulder to avoid a situation like my Grom campaign where I had to hunt down Yvresse settlements in Naggaroth :sigh:

Confederating asap is pretty handy for getting your economy going. I did that desert tree first? Whatever that is.

Morathi I think got dunked by Ariel or something and only had stacks of turd tier spears in my game so I’ve just been razing all his poo poo with no opposition.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Affi posted:

Picked up the game again after a year away or so. When are they going to do something about dwarves incredibly boring runepriests?

They made them worse! Runepriests used to have a damage dealing rune but it was nerfed to only apply a minor debuff.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Having to wipe out Moulder in the Vortex campaign kind of sucks if you didn't pay attention and realize it was coming, especially if you've been antagonizing Malekith all game. Oh well. Just burning all of Naggarond hunting some dumb rat.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 9, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

They made them worse! Runepriests used to have a damage dealing rune but it was nerfed to only apply a minor debuff.

Was that the rune of Wrath or whatever it's called? The one that drops their move and charge speed?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dr Christmas posted:

Are you trying to hold territory? I moved onto the second forest on turn 35 after clearing all the local encounters and getting the dragon back. Left half a stack in the Witchwood to ambush alongside the garrison, and abandoned all but the temple settlement on the near end of the canyon.

Cost me a few hundred a turn I was getting from a trade deal with the skeletons, but armies cost far more than that. Maybe I got lucky that the rats did as much damage to Morathi as I did and now she's been confederated by Malekith. Who is now global power no. 1 but doesn't spew chaos corruption everywhere.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Having to wipe out Moulder in the Vortex campaign kind of sucks if you didn't pay attention and realize it was coming, especially if you've been antagonizing Malekith all game. Oh well. Just burning all of Naggarond hunting some dumb rat.

What happened in my game is that I activated the cleansing ritual, and Moulder sent their armies after me. Then, after I wrecked said armies, they got confederated under Rictus, which was still alive. And that counted somehow.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Moulder was on my tree, attacking my outposts by like turn 13. Who the gently caress is letting them live after that?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I had to go actively hunt them down as they never got close to me. Hell it ended up being a hunt that went over two continents as I tried to wipe them out before they could confederate again.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Theswarms posted:

Moulder was on my tree, attacking my outposts by like turn 13. Who the gently caress is letting them live after that?

I never saw Moulder at all until after the ritual. Throt and Malekith seemed like they were roughly even right until I showed up post-ritual to kill all of them. I'm just hoping they don't confederate Mors or especially any of the Lustrian factions, all of which are doing well.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Was that the rune of Wrath or whatever it's called? The one that drops their move and charge speed?

Yeah, it used to apply a pretty decent damage over time effect as well.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Makes sense. I always thought it seemed curiously weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Runesmiths literally just got majorly buffed in this last update, because all their buffing runes now have a casting distance rather than having to be centered on the Runesmith. No nerfs to their effects or AoE either, so it's a really good and purely positive change.