Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

did nintendo get a management change or something recently, they've been more pettily litigious than usual

they got a new boss a little while ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Not giving Justice's Cross best dance album was a crime I shouldn't have been able to overlook but I completely checked out once Taylor beat out Kendrick on best album

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Funniky of the nominees this year Taylor should be the frontrunner and correctly so. Its actually a really loving good album and it felt like she went gently caress it I want to be The National and Sufjan so went full indie folk produced by guys from The National. So they'll probably give it Post Malone.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Game Award for Trending Gamer / Best Content Creator, a history:

2014 TotalBiscuit
2015 Greg Miller
2016 Boogie2988
2017 DrDisrespect
2018 Ninja
2019 Shroud

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Lid posted:

got bored so decided to check out The Game awards because well they're wrong every year anyway mostly, but its fun to look back at see with the benefit of retrospect which games actually stood the test of time like how movies do when some movies win best picture and within a few years are just forgotten (or in the cases of Crash and Green Book so manifestly wrong everyone starts hating everything)

2016 is fun because it went to Overwatch and then now you have Doom 2016 which is in the poll up top for game of the decade (poll not having Bloodborne is a sin)

2014 to Dragon Age:Inquisition over Shadow of Mordor (along with Alien: Isolation and Wolfenstein: The New Order not even being nominated)

i love retrospect

Inquisition in 2014 is fun to look back at because in at least one deep-dive into Bioware an anonymous employee source for the story says that they would have rather not had a game they worked on win GOTY like that because the team couldn't go on to say, "This Bioware Magic time bullshit doesn't work we gotta change that." and that paved the way for Andromeda, Anthem, and whatever else has the teams have tried to get going but had to reboot or cancel throughout the years since then.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Game Award for Trending Gamer / Best Content Creator, a history:

2014 TotalBiscuit
2015 Greg Miller
2016 Boogie2988
2017 DrDisrespect
2018 Ninja
2019 Shroud

The Monkey Paw Award

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

2020: Korone Inugami

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
So what is the best gaming year of the 2010s? It's either 2018:

God of War – SIE Santa Monica Studio/Sony Interactive Entertainment
Assassin's Creed Odyssey – Ubisoft
Celeste – Matt Makes Games
Marvel's Spider-Man – Insomniac Games/Sony Interactive Entertainment
Monster Hunter: World – Capcom
Red Dead Redemption 2 – Rockstar Games

2011 with Portal 2, Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Mass Effect 2, Gears of War 3 and Arkham City

or 2010 with RDR, GOW3, Mario Galaxy 2, Limbo, Assassins Creed: Brotherhood, and Fallout: New Vegas

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyVv-jFJiJ8

3 years already? Guess it's time for another omori trailer.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Lid posted:

2011 with Portal 2, Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Mass Effect 2, Gears of War 3 and Arkham City

or 2010 with RDR, GOW3, Mario Galaxy 2, Limbo, Assassins Creed: Brotherhood, and Fallout: New Vegas

it's 2019

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Hard to argue against 2017 being an all-timer:

NieR:Automata
Zelda: BotW
Super Mario Odyssey
Horizon Zero Dawn
AC Origins
Destiny 2
Prey
Persona 5
RE7
Hellblade
Night in the Woods
Uncharted: Lost Legacy
Getting Over It
Cuphead
What Remains of Edith Finch

And for those who like such things: PUBG, Yakuza 0, Splatoon 2, Nioh, Injustice 2, Mario + Rabbids, probably a few other of people's favourites

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

2017, 2018 and 2019 were all incredibly good years for gaming.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
One step from Eden is such a cool game

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Eden is a cool game but just from my limited playtime, I'm sure there's some sort of optimal strategy in terms of making a deck of a reasonable size for the purposes of actually being able to tell at a glance what attack you have loaded at any given time, but I got to the final boss with my strategy of "just take any item that hits four panels in front of you so you don't have to worry about aiming at all"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Top years for gaming this decade were 2017, 2015, 2018 then I can't remember anything after that who cares.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What year was bowsette

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Eden owns

Edit: Oh wait this isn't the FF14 thread I was talking about GOTY Top 5, FFXIV Patch cycle 2020 Eden

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is the game part of FFXIV still fun?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just did two of the Eden raid bosses in the new patch and they were fun, yes. Felt pretty good to pick up the tells and attacks on the fly

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well I guess I'm in the middle of 7 games now? (oh wait I dropped Genshin so I'm back down to 6)

Looks pretty, seems to be a walking game with light puzzle solving? Protagonist is monologuing a lot. She's also like the dude from Nioh and learned everything about a foreign culture from reading a book on the way over lol

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

One Step from Eden is indeed cool and makes me wish for a new Megaman BN.

Capcom please :pray:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nintendo regularly DMCAs channels for music rips but it's only ever one at a time so you can always find everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVEVc48JRJQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRWs9J8kCxA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXR-pNhkTeY

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

hatty posted:

Ultimate online seems fine to me when I’m connected by Ethernet. I’m not a fighting game wizard so maybe I don’t notice the input lag. Could the problem be the awful switch WiFi ?

I wish there were stats on how many people use their consoles wired vs. wireless. I definitely use mine wireless because it was a pain in the rear end to move stuff around and I don't play that many games online, but the Switch has an ethernet adapter you have to buy, and you have to be docked to use it, and an SKU of the system doesn't even let you dock and is wifi only so I'd imagine most people are wifi

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am 700 posts behind (not sure what happened in the last few days) but:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950329

It is here. The GOTY thread. I have stickied it and am opening it after posting this post! I hope we all have tremendous fun again and I will not be around for the next few days, but after that I am on holiday from work and am going to bust my bum off sorting out that thread! :D

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's here! :neckbeard:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's good news that the GOTY thread finally came out today, and at an opportune time too because I don't think anything else important is going on.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am so excited about the GOTY thread :D Glad people like it and hope we get a ton of people contributing. I mostly have my top ten list ready but I plan on playing a bit more of some other games just to be certain! :D

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well I guess I'm in the middle of 7 games now? (oh wait I dropped Genshin so I'm back down to 6)

Looks pretty, seems to be a walking game with light puzzle solving? Protagonist is monologuing a lot. She's also like the dude from Nioh and learned everything about a foreign culture from reading a book on the way over lol
hopefully you have a less buggy time of it than I did. i graded it a 7/10 because of the bugs, but would've given it a 7.5 or 8 if it wasn't for those pesky softlocks

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rarity posted:

It's here! :neckbeard:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
SDR2 Chapter 3:

Hiyoko is the only one of these peeps who'd do well in 2020

Oh poo poo Hajime's not an Ultimate at all!!

MIKAN GET YOUR BOOBS OFF HAJIME :mad:

Oh no that noose does not look promising

Oh god oh please not Ibuki please not Ibuki

NOOOOOOOOO GODAMMIT :cry:

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Simone Magus posted:

Why aren't there any Irish youtubers? Seriously I'm feeling drastically under represented here! :(

I like RTGame and CallMeKevin, who are both Irish and generally speaking aren't the annoying kind of gaming youtubers.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I will also vouch for RTGame and CallMeKevin as being funny.

Here is a vid of CallMeKevin playing lovely original-Bully-do-not-steal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo2FRS_NykM

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Lid posted:

2017 by a mile

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lid posted:

I actually made a post about this earlier in the thread and I genuinely think it is 2017. Let me find the list I cribbed:

VideoGames posted:

Everytime I look at my top forty list of games, I realise that for me personally, 2017 was the greatest year for new games.

I mean we had these come out in that year:
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone
Tales of Berseria
Yakuza 0
Nioh
Night in the Woods
Hollow Knight
Horizon Zero Dawn
Breath of the Wild
Nier:Automata
Persona 5
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Dragon Quest Heroes II
Prey
Tekken 7
Splatoon 2
Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice
Sonic Mania
Everybody's Golf
Yakuza Kiwami
KNACK II!!!!
Divinity Original Sin II
Steamworld Dig 2
Golf Story
Cuphead
A Hat in Time
Destiny 2
Assassin's Creed: Origins
Super Mario Odyssey
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

Of that list I have played all bar 2 of them (Dragon Quest Heroes and Hellblade) and of them 8 appear in my top 40 of all time list - 4 in the top 10.

2017 was exceptionally powerful and I always look at it in complete awe.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just realised Disco Elysium isn't even in the GOTD poll :thunkher:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Rarity posted:

:negative:

wtf Grapplejack

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Rarity posted:

I assumed it was a troll poll.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Lid posted:

Funniky of the nominees this year Taylor should be the frontrunner and correctly so. Its actually a really loving good album and it felt like she went gently caress it I want to be The National and Sufjan so went full indie folk produced by guys from The National. So they'll probably give it Post Malone.

This is exactly what my Taylor Swift superfan sister said when trying to get me to listen to it. I still haven't listened out of spite for my sister, but good to see independent opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Taylor Swift and Carly Rae Jepsen, and about a dozen other pop singers sound interchangeable to me